''You've been FM'd''

Yesterday on my FM17 save, my Leyton orient team completely FM'd Chelsea reserves in the Checkatrade nonsense, sorry, trophy. We won 1-0 with our only shot on target and were totally dominated in all departments, In real life, the one that stands out is this one - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24792963 - as I was at the game and still don't fully understand how we lost!

I guess my point is, sometimes we get FM'd and sometimes, well, we do the FMing, both on the game and in real life

Looks great! Naturally a lot of cases of "being FM'd" traditionally aren't what they seem. It's FMers being found out for that one of their primary ideas of match management is "dominating shots and possession" -- which the AI doesn't suscribe to an iota. Similar to Germany's opposition at the World Cup, they may nick that easy opening goal against a seriously undermanned defense which tended to be overrun every second time they dropped the ball. At that point they may focus on sitting back and soaking up the mostly half chances at best that tend to happen if the space is being squeezed to the size of a tunafish can amongst massed defenders even from open play, rather than set pieces (ask Burnley's opponents from last season, and btw. go through ALL of their wins last term on Whoscored, statistically, NOW!).

The vice versa AI do too. Don't attack much, but if they see they can nick it or score an equlizer, switch to the attack for the last ten minutes and risk something. Granted, some of it is a bit extreme. Often times they focus to keep things tight and soak up all those crap shots for the 90 minutes straight (and with luck, still score a goal). Still, that's match management. Dominating possession and shot counts isn't.

Now if you lose to a couple marking bugs and howlers, that's being FM'd. :D 

You're all right, it does happen in real life. I think it hurt even more so because I lost my previous match to spurs.
But overall doing very well in the league and Europa League so far, 2nd and Semi-finals respectively (First Season). 

I'm still keen to hear other Manager's stories and cases of being FM'd, or indeed scraping wins which perhaps they should not have on the running of play!

27 minutes ago, kiingallen said:

You're all right, it does happen in real life. I think it hurt even more so because I lost my previous match to spurs.
But overall doing very well in the league and Europa League so far, 2nd and Semi-finals respectively (First Season). 

I'm still keen to hear other Manager's stories and cases of being FM'd, or indeed scraping wins which perhaps they should not have on the running of play!

I*'ve made a save of "FM'ing" the AI in a prior release. None of the stats do it justice though (and the crappy post match reports based on total shot volumes would argue I was lucky every single week). :idiot:As the data analyst IS technically in the game, he may have been able to point out that on every 2nd interception, the opposition barely had a couple players still behind the ball, for a start -- as a warning sign, similar to how Hummels did it during the world Cup for Löw. Simple stats that FM is yet to provide, and without it, it all lacks context massively. On FM, "FM'ing" the AI in tendency only works naturally if the AI actually still plays open attacking football with everybody getting pushed forward.

http://i.imgur.com/XvbF1vS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/coh2t5N.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nbhpdCn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sOLwprt.jpg

The key to this is simple sports. For as long as you keep masses of players behind the ball, the opposition generally finds it harder to find space for superior shots. If you overcommit, and push up, for as as long as your are doing it, vica versa the oppposition finds it easier. That's no tactical genius from my end, it's basic teams sports. Generally, if you take the lead, in particular away against a higher ranked team considered big favourites in the previews, they accept no more than a win. So they go even more aggressive- depending on how the run of play (goals) go. This won't show in any stats FM has on offer, ever. It rubs off on a few though. For instance, in tendency, if a big amont of shots goes on target, the opposition typically has it too easy to find space. And vice versa. That Leicester in any of the above had a superior shots to shot on target ratio is no coincidence. As an advice: Make a distinction for yourself how many shots you create actually come about by open play. FM doesn't do even THAT either. At least, stastistically. Boxes are as tight as they come on set pieces by definition. There's something to be said that FM generally simulates forwards growing "frustrated" when missing shots, and keepers growing in confidence if they save them, but then too that could be countered some via subbing players... (the effect, imo isn't huge anyway).

Once the manager walks inside the dressing room, all players immediately stop talking and pay attention.

"Lads! This is it. This is the match we were all waiting for."

"Why boss? What's so special about this match? It's just a league game."

"You don't understand it son, we are about to play against the Human Player."

The mood in the locker room shifts; every player has fear stamped on their faces, murmurs and whispers can be heard all across the room.

"Lads, prepare to be thrown around, exploited, dominated, it will be the worst ninety minutes of your lives," he pauses, and then shouts again, "Johnson!"

"Y-yes sir?"

"As the goalkeeper, you will have the worst of it. Prepare to stretch your limbs towards impossible reaches, predict the future, and shadow the entire goal when you are by yourself facing their striker."

"But sir...how is that possible?! I've never kept a clean sheet this season!"

The manager then takes a heavy breath and shouts so everyone can hear him.

"Listen lads, there is an intrinsic potential strength in all of us — one that is only realized fully when we play against a Human Player. We will hold the line and we will win this match."

One player, the lone striker in the 5-4-1 formation, speaks up, "Sir, but if we're going to play defensive how will we win this?"

The manager grins and replies, "There will be one moment in this match that we will have one shot — that is when we'll score and win the game."

The striker is dumbfounded, he replies, "What? One shot? I can't score from one shot! I've yet to score this season! What if-"

The manager gets angry and cuts him off, "Son, I was a striker just like you. Don't talk to me like that! I was scoring from one shot before you were even born..."

"But how do I do that?"

"Just trust in yourself son, you'll find that will be the moment where all your preconceived attributes and ability are irrelevant — you will score."

"If you say so, boss..."

"Now ready up! The match is about to start, let's go!"

The assistant manager, confused, talks to the manager, "Sir, what was all that nonsense?!"

"You're new in this league Connor, you've never played against a Human Player. Get ready to see something you never did." He pats the assistant manager in the shoulder and rushes forward toward the end of the tunnel.

The assistant manager, still confused, follows him.

To be continued...

For me, the most classic FM'd' is like this

AI 1 shot on target 1 goal. It can be any style of goal. It can be direct free kick, corner, crossing,

You have thousand of chances, but your team keeps missing.

Even you are award PK, your player will also miss it. It can be missed 3 times of PK by different players in the same matches.

AI's goal keeper 's rating bumps to over 7.5 points.

AI's player tackle attempts can have a double, even triple amount more than your team. But your team can even have more foul than AI's team.

When all unlucky things happen, you looks you have no chance to win. I will just press the highlight from comprehensive to key to end the game asap.

1 hour ago, keithfc said:

When all unlucky things happen, you looks you have no chance to win. I will just press the highlight from comprehensive to key to end the game asap.

Oh yeah. :DI've lost matches to three direct free kicks conceded. Even worse ones can be to actual bugs. There's also matches were a number of actually good chances are missed in sequence. If actual "Bad luck" wasn't part of the game, it were a terrible football sim (and far too predictable). From personal experience (and having seen players upload their pkms of supposedly getting "FM'd"), they're very very oftenly something else though entirelly. They very oftenly boil down to massively overrating chances, all the while choking the space in the final third on the pitch (which defensive opposition does anyway). Which amongst the few decent chances in actual space (still should be mostly 50/50 chances at best as the keeper edges things generally) then makes the keeper get a thousand easy saves. As the defensive team doesn't lose by the end of the match, the keeper additionally gets the MOM rating -- any rating on FM has always been simple check list maths. If you add motivational issues to it (players growing frustrated and not getting subbed), eh voila.

Additionally, many players don't even realize how AI manages matches dynamically. They don't give a hoot about the checklist of shots by the time the whistle is blown. This may appear obvious, but they only care about one stats, which tends to be the one that counts, which is the goals. If they have reached their desired result, they don't care if they have zero shots from there on. They can completely rebalance their team so that they are compleately focusing on making it harder to find space and score. If they still concede, they can switch things around into something more attacking for a mere 10 minutes. Additionally, if things don't seem to go to plan, they may switch things around at HT entirelly, including 3 subs, rather than just giving in. With a mere minutes to go, they may even start to lump the ball to a makeshift Target Man, rather than risk not seeing much shots anymore at all. In other word's they are managing. There's a concept in football analytics called "Game states" -- which basically means the time teams spend either trailing a lead, the scoreline being level, or being in front. FM's AI gets that general idea of that very well. I've lost count personally how many FM players entire idea of "match management" boils down to having more shots and possession in the final match stats. They should be "FM'ed" more oftenly frankly than they usually are.

Unfortunately, as FM doesn't include better feedback, this will remain a subjective affair. Experience tells me I'm at least roughly on the right track, whilst others are on a completely wrong one. Anybody can make this test: If you see a particularly great keeper performance, let alone a particularly great PSG display in this one, you have an issue. PSG is AI managed, btw. and it's the player parking that proverbial bus to them. The AI approaches this match rather questionably, right in the tactical choices.

Here's a blast from the past... Classic FM'ed, but it was US who came out on top in a smashing encounter (meaning had it gone the other way, I'd have smashed the screen with a chair)

Down to 10 men and by THREE goals at half time, we stole it on penalties with only 3 shots on target...

2130929667_TT_Goldcup.thumb.jpg.bf2b2ae4c5aa488e7d244cdfab4615b5.jpg

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/667820/MatchReport/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2012-2013-Celtic-Barcelona

Celtic 2-1 Barcelona

Barcelona 84% posession and 25 attempts. Celtic 16% posession and 5 attempts (3 on target)

One of the most bizzare games I've ever watched.

It's happened to me many times on FM over the years...

Archived