FM19 Athletic Club - Aupa!

bowieinspace

10 hours ago, maccataq said:

I accidentally didn't include segunda division B when I loaded the game (assumed it would just be included with Spain) and I'm only in my 2nd season but they are near the top of their league. How long did it take to get them promoted? Think I would do the same as you if/when they get promoted, well that's the plan anyway as per my point about determination, I'm hoping to create a highly determined squad right the way through.

I have noticed the same thing regarding individual training for B team players! Maybe it's supposed to be like that.

It took around three seasons maybe. This is the second year they've been there. I don't think I have Segunda Division B loaded either, but I tend to move any really talented youngsters straight into the B side, skipping the C and u19 levels. I'd rather they played as good a standard as possible. There's nobody older than 22 in my B side as I recall. Not controlling individual training is annoying - I suppose I could move them to the first team and make them all available for the B side - although I'm not sure that would work as there is a registration window for both teams and could someone who's young but in the first team be eligible for the B side? Who knows? 

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a player in my youth intake which my head of youth developement thinks could emerge as one of the best players of his generation. He has 4 gold and a half black star PA. Any experience on these? 

Edited by ThePietu

2 hours ago, ThePietu said:

I just got a player in my youth intake which my head of youth developement thinks could emerge as one of the best players of his generation. He has 4 gold and a half black star. Any experience on these? 

He has four gold stars ALREADY (or have I misread?) Jeez, I don't think I've had anyone with more than two gold stars with five star potential.

Also, is it a bad idea with Athletic Club to have a foreign HoYD? I've had Nuno Gomes and Per Mertesacker and both have great stats (better than their Spanish equivalents) but are finding 3-4 potential players. I haven't had a great 15/16yo for a few years now. Of course I doubt Spain is listed as one of their stronger countries. 

1 hour ago, dothestrand said:

He has four gold stars ALREADY (or have I misread?) Jeez, I don't think I've had anyone with more than two gold stars with five star potential.

Also, is it a bad idea with Athletic Club to have a foreign HoYD? I've had Nuno Gomes and Per Mertesacker and both have great stats (better than their Spanish equivalents) but are finding 3-4 potential players. I haven't had a great 15/16yo for a few years now. Of course I doubt Spain is listed as one of their stronger countries. 

Sorry PA, edited it now. 

I have no idea if it matters, I have a dutch one. 

2024-2025 update: for much of the season it was a one horse race (Barcelona) and a three way fight for 2nd-4th between Atletico Madrid, Valencia and us. Valencia have really come on recently. Real Madrid were never contenders. They really haven't redeveloped their squad at all.

I was content with a CL place but for some reasons the stars began to align as we won seven on the trot as the fixture gods had nicely given us some very winnable games and none against our rivals. Barcelona dropped a few points and suddenly as we went into the last game we were 2pts ahead but with a better head-to-head record so I knew a draw would be enough to deliver the title. Cue a 2-0 away defeat to Getafe....but then the players starting celebrating on the podium as Barcelona could only manage a 1-1 away draw to Tenerife. Phew!!!!

It always amuses me how you can win trophies without having standout performers. The defence and attackers racked up 7s easily, but none of the midfielders did.

We're developing a nice young squad now. Inigo Martinez and Muniain might be moved on this Summer. Look at David Jimenez if you want to know why!nThey both have a year left on their deals but maybe I'll keep them in reserve. 

Eizmendi and Rodriguez are two promising deep lying playmakers that I alternate around Merino/Sancet. Etxabe has been converted from an AMC to an AML and is the reason Muniain might move on as I have Barrenetxea as first choice. Adrian Rodriguez is a quality striker though we could do with backup. 

The B team has great potential. I'll just pick a couple out. Seguin, an attacking RB, came from Sociedad. I might leave him one more season. Unai Martinez is a wonderkid AMR and he might move up this Summer. And Koldo Martinez adds to our embarrassment of riches on the other flank. 

There are a few Basque wonderkids knocking around that I've been unable to nab, but that would be greedy right? :)

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.16.20.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.18.43.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.19.38.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.20.55.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.21.27.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.22.57.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.23.29.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.24.36.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.25.16.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 18.26.01.png

9 hours ago, ThePietu said:

I just got a player in my youth intake which my head of youth developement thinks could emerge as one of the best players of his generation. He has 4 gold and a half black star PA. Any experience on these? 

Yeah I’ve had quite a few ‘best of their generation’ guys over the years. Likely they will become a world class player.

6 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Once they develop their knowledge of the area it shouldn’t be an issue, I never really had concerns about this myself having always used Bernhard Peters in past FM’s and never seeing any disadvantage. If you’re  only bringing in 3-4 players in your youth intake I think that’s a database size thing. 

3 hours ago, dothestrand said:

2024-2025 update: for much of the season it was a one horse race (Barcelona) and a three way fight for 2nd-4th between Atletico Madrid, Valencia and us. Valencia have really come on recently. Real Madrid were never contenders. They really haven't redeveloped their squad at all.

I was content with a CL place but for some reasons the stars began to align as we won seven on the trot as the fixture gods had nicely given us some very winnable games and none against our rivals. Barcelona dropped a few points and suddenly as we went into the last game we were 2pts ahead but with a better head-to-head record so I knew a draw would be enough to deliver the title. Cue a 2-0 away defeat to Getafe....but then the players starting celebrating on the podium as Barcelona could only manage a 1-1 away draw to Tenerife. Phew!!!!

It always amuses me how you can win trophies without having standout performers. The defence and attackers racked up 7s easily, but none of the midfielders did.

Congratulations on the league win! Some good prospects there too, the future is bright.

Thanks!

just starting the next season, 2 for 2 in the league and we won the Supercopa against Villarreal so a positive start. 

Also Borja Borja, Alberto Lopez and Eneko Goni were capped for the first time for Spain which is always nice. Borja Borja thanked me personally for my involvement in his development...he's my favourite

I use the star system by the way a youngster whose CA reaches 2 stars moves up to the B team, B team players whose CA reaches 2.5 stars moves up to the A team but plays with the B team if there is no squad place. I accept loan offers if the offering team is on an upper level. Now in the 5th season and C team has full of 1.5 stars players (incl Nico Williams) but they just cant win a promotion.

So i got the full game and am about to start a new save any specific settings anyone has when setting game up ? i.e loading certain leagues, have them as view only, database etc ? thanks

Edited by lfc7

I am very proud to announce the signing of a 31 year old ANTOINE GRIEZMANN! 

We got Griezmann for Merino and 15M€. 

To lower his wages to 450K€ Athletic Club gave him a signing on fee of 25M€! 

Now we push for the title! 

15 minutes ago, ThePietu said:

I am very proud to announce the signing of a 31 year old ANTOINE GRIEZMANN! 

We got Griezmann for Merino and 15M€. 

To lower his wages to 450K€ Athletic Club gave him a signing on fee of 25M€! 

Now we push for the title! 

Jeez. At least he's relatively at his peak. In FM18 I got him on a Bosman and paid him around 250-300k when he was 32-33. 

31 minutes ago, dothestrand said:

Jeez. At least he's relatively at his peak. In FM18 I got him on a Bosman and paid him around 250-300k when he was 32-33. 

It was basically a no brainer for me, having tracked him for years with no luck to finally get him, he still has the quality I need in a title push! 

7 hours ago, vvegg said:

Has anyone witnessed a C team promotion? I am into my 5th season now my B team finishes in the top 3 of second division and the C team has some decent players for that level but never seen it happen.

In about 10 years of playing 10+ season Athletic saves on FM, I've never seen it happen

3 hours ago, lfc7 said:

So i got the full game and am about to start a new save any specific settings anyone has when setting game up ? i.e loading certain leagues, have them as view only, database etc ? thanks

Mexico, Brazil, all of France, all of Spain, and some of the top European leagues as well (eg. England, Germany)

23 minutes ago, maccataq said:

HoYD: Iker Pena is one of the better players from this year's youth intake!

Me: :rolleyes:....so it's a **** intake then?

512806119_Screenshot2019-04-17at20_55_27.thumb.png.376e4de308f22a70e837ee1a930e8248.png

I think my last two or three intakes have had nothing better than 3.5. Luckily Sociedad, Osasuna, Alaves and Eibar have had better intakes :lol:

3 minutes ago, dothestrand said:

I think my last two or three intakes have had nothing better than 3.5. Luckily Sociedad, Osasuna, Alaves and Eibar have had better intakes :lol:

Yeah my next thought was to go and scout all the newgens. My first intake was pretty special so can't be too disappointed.

What I have noticed though is that the other clubs seem to only get 3-4 players in their intakes, yet I have a large database - why would they not be bigger if I only have a few leagues loaded?

1 hour ago, Jean0987654321 said:

Mexico, Brazil, all of France, all of Spain, and some of the top European leagues as well (eg. England, Germany)

Thanks very much for the reply i appreciate it. I already started and picked all of Spain and France and top league in Germany, England,Portugal, Brazil and Italy. I will maybe remove one of them and add Mexico as computer is really stretched as it is. 

Its been an awful long time since I've played the full version so wish me luck ha

45 minutes ago, lfc7 said:

Thanks very much for the reply i appreciate it. I already started and picked all of Spain and France and top league in Germany, England,Portugal, Brazil and Italy. I will maybe remove one of them and add Mexico as computer is really stretched as it is. 

Its been an awful long time since I've played the full version so wish me luck ha

I would personally leave your leagues as is. Mexico is kinda useful but personally I'd say having the key european leagues active is more important as it enables a stronger European competition

9 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

I would personally leave your leagues as is. Mexico is kinda useful but personally I'd say having the key european leagues active is more important as it enables a stronger European competition

Thanks :thup: What Scouting packages do you have ? sorry for all questions ha

I have a question. I look into all French newgens if they have a Basque nationality on the French intake day from world/europe/transfers/youth intake (you can find a French-Basque one in every 4 or 5 years).

Does that screen show all the newgens for the nation or should I scan all French clubs for it?

4 minutes ago, vvegg said:

I have a question. I look into all French newgens if they have a Basque nationality on the French intake day from world/europe/transfers/youth intake (you can find a French-Basque one in every 4 or 5 years).

Does that screen show all the newgens for the nation or should I scan all French clubs for it?

As far as I'm aware, the nation filter is only for filtering by clubs in that country rather than nationality of the newgen. So you have to trawl through the French club intakes to find Basque players. No easy way really that I know but Aviron Bayonnais are Basque and I think there is a Biarritz team but they are both small clubs but worth check their players out just in case.

As an aside, Aviron Bayonnais always interest me because I feel like there would be a good opportunity to make them a big club as there are no big clubs in the French Basque country. The only problem is they start in a non-playable league (although they got promoted in my save). I think it would be a good challenge to make them a big club and try to increase the size and quality of the Basque talent pool. Once you've made them a force, move to Bilbao and reap the benefits. I reckon the challenge could be made harder if you follow a Basque only policy with them as well.

Sacked a load of staff so need to replace them, anyone know of a good assistant manager ? best I've seen that will come to me used to play for Athletic, Roberto Rios.

He has perfect personality and media style to do press conferences for me, good motivation 16, and decent discipline 15, but determination 13, JPA 13 and JPP 12.

2 hours ago, vvegg said:

I'd do it manually through player search. Make sure you've got a youth scouting package that covers France, untick the "realistic transfer / realistic loan" boxes, search "nationality - partially - French" and "nationality - partially - Basque" and put an age limit on it, i.e. 18. Then just highlight them all (there won't be many) and scout them. I'd do similar for Spanish ones too, just to check for the odd one that pops up outside of the Basque clubs. 

40 minutes ago, lfc7 said:

Sacked a load of staff so need to replace them, anyone know of a good assistant manager ? best I've seen that will come to me used to play for Athletic, Roberto Rios.

He has perfect personality and media style to do press conferences for me, good motivation 16, and decent discipline 15, but determination 13, JPA 13 and JPP 12.

I don't bother about JPA / JPP if I have a good coach for it (or just set my HoYD to do coach reports). 

56 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

I'd do it manually through player search. Make sure you've got a youth scouting package that covers France, untick the "realistic transfer / realistic loan" boxes, search "nationality - partially - French" and "nationality - partially - Basque" and put an age limit on it, i.e. 18. Then just highlight them all (there won't be many) and scout them. I'd do similar for Spanish ones too, just to check for the odd one that pops up outside of the Basque clubs. 

I don't bother about JPA / JPP if I have a good coach for it (or just set my HoYD to do coach reports). 

I search only using nationality Basque. Is that any different than searching nationality partially Basque? 

9 minutes ago, ThePietu said:

I search only using nationality Basque. Is that any different than searching nationality partially Basque? 

Well searching partially brings up secondary nationalities. I noticed when I manage in Italy with the complicated nEU rules, I can search nationality - is - Italian and I only get guys with Italian as their primary / only nationality. If I put it partially, I get guys with Italian as a second nationality. So if I was searching for Basques, I would always put partially just in case. Then if I was specifically looking for French Basques as opposed to the more common Spanish variant, I would add in nationality - partially - French too. I don't know if it makes a difference or not as Basque nationality works different in search, as its only available if you manage a Basque club and never appears as a primary nationality anyway. 

Edited by zlatanera

9 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Well searching partially brings up secondary nationalities. I noticed when I manage in Italy with the complicated nEU rules, I can search nationality - is - Italian and I only get guys with Italian as their primary / only nationality. If I put it partially, I get guys with Italian as a second nationality. So if I was searching for Basques, I would always put partially just in case. Then if I was specifically looking for French Basques as opposed to the more common Spanish variant, I would add in nationality - partially - French too. I don't know if it makes a difference or not as Basque nationality works different in search, as its only available if you manage a Basque club and never appears as a primary nationality anyway. 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, lfc7 said:

After first team which squad is better for development U19s or B team ? 

Depends on the age of the player and ability. Generally I’ll only move players to the B team once they turn 17 and hit a specific ability level. The u19s is good for the younger ones, but for the good prospect they will need to get experience at higher levels eventually 

3 hours ago, ThePietu said:

I just saw the best result I have ever seen in an UCL game 😂😂

Lyon 3 - Celtic 2

But Celtic scored all goals, 3 own goals, never seen that before 😂😂

I once drew at Anfield with Ajax 2-2, Douglas Costa got 3, Alisson got our equaliser hehe

A little update from me:

Finished my second season and finished 3rd behind Real and Barca. Real were comfortable champions but we were the only team ever in a title race but had a poor run of form through January. Barca finished strong and we slipped up at home to Espanyol and they took 2nd on the head to head.

We finished 2nd in our first season but scored exactly the same number of points, including the same denomination of wins, draws and losses. We scored 6 more goals but conceded 7 more vs our first season and I think this is party due to me trying to be a more expansive at times but also teams just seemed to score a lot of long range efforts or similar low percentage chances against us.

1985273711_Screenshot2019-04-20at12_46_09.thumb.png.4e3772086e135dc6aa536a4cdb5539eb.png

I have just less than £21m to spend so I think I'm going to try and raise a little more so I can buy Merino!

I managed to raise the funds I need to meet Mikel Merino's release clause and now he has no interest in joining us. He had a slight interest before but it's because of our rivalry that he doesn't want to join. 

How did everyone else manage to sign him? Is it just timing?

1 hour ago, maccataq said:

I managed to raise the funds I need to meet Mikel Merino's release clause and now he has no interest in joining us. He had a slight interest before but it's because of our rivalry that he doesn't want to join. 

Declare interest in transfer, declare interest as a top target, make sure your team leader speaks about him to the press and assing a scout on him and scout him literally as long as you need to get him.

3 hours ago, maccataq said:

It'll help if you're massively outperforming them, but as ThePietu says, I would recommend declaring an interest every now and then and the moment he says "I'll see when a bid comes in", then bid. 

6 hours ago, ThePietu said:

Declare interest in transfer, declare interest as a top target, make sure your team leader speaks about him to the press and assing a scout on him and scout him literally as long as you need to get him.

Good shout, thanks. I've never really operated in this way but good time to start.

3 hours ago, dothestrand said:

It'll help if you're massively outperforming them, but as ThePietu says, I would recommend declaring an interest every now and then and the moment he says "I'll see when a bid comes in", then bid. 

We are massively outperforming them. We've finished 2nd & 3rd and they've finished 14th and 16th so he ought to be interested in that sense at least. I'll look out for if he says that and pounce!

1 minute ago, maccataq said:

Good shout, thanks. I've never really operated in this way but good time to start.

We are massively outperforming them. We've finished 2nd & 3rd and they've finished 14th and 16th so he ought to be interested in that sense at least. I'll look out for if he says that and pounce!

He will be interested eventually....we've all signed him. There are definitely some Sociedad players you can never sign in my experience - Zaldua, Elustondo. But Zubeldia is usually gettable. And Pardo usually gets listed but you might have to sign him from the next club he goes to. Sociedad produce loads of great youths, some of whom you can tap up. 

Finally made it to end of pre season and with the window shut this was the only signing i made for 375K, Martinez has between 3.5-4.5 star potential and has Basque nationality.

bf3b898f96e3419da2df88dabcac2d26.png

I have a question about coaches, now i am going to hire better Staff for U19's as i can adjust coaching assignments and control individual training. I am leaving C staff recruitment up to staff as i won't have anyone i want to develop in there.

As for B team i see i have coaches employed but cant adjust assignments, is B team general training covered by main squad training ? I know to do individual training i have to promote to main squad then make available for B team its just the general training i am unsure on. Thanks 

Edited by lfc7

Second league game of the season and they score a 25 yarder and a free kick from outside the box near the end :(:mad:

61e6cd69405f5279f08f5b49e32e8fd5.png0785859a97c61600ad20e91a10b7ac53.png

Just curious what people do to see games out at the end if holding slight lead ? if i drop back they score a screamer, push up they catch me on counter :lol:

Edited by lfc7

9 hours ago, lfc7 said:

Finally made it to end of pre season and with the window shut this was the only signing i made for 375K, Martinez has between 3.5-4.5 star potential and has Basque nationality.

bf3b898f96e3419da2df88dabcac2d26.png

I have a question about coaches, now i am going to hire better Staff for U19's as i can adjust coaching assignments and control individual training. I am leaving C staff recruitment up to staff as i won't have anyone i want to develop in there.

As for B team i see i have coaches employed but cant adjust assignments, is B team general training covered by main squad training ? I know to do individual training i have to promote to main squad then make available for B team its just the general training i am unsure on. Thanks 

B team training is seperate, so if you have a real top prospect, I'd recommend having them training with the first team and available to play for the B team. I do often put players there for a fixed period though and it usually works ok, but I find leaving them there for multiple seasons doesn't help development at all

36 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

B team training is seperate, so if you have a real top prospect, I'd recommend having them training with the first team and available to play for the B team. I do often put players there for a fixed period though and it usually works ok, but I find leaving them there for multiple seasons doesn't help development at all

Ah ok thanks. Yes i have already put Sanchet, Nolaskoain and Guruzeta in main squad, but make them available for B team most matches.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions, as i said its been an awful long time since i played the full version, just so used to touch version now.

No problem. You’ve only got to be careful with players over the age threshold who need to be registered for a squad to be eligible. I have found that making them available for the B team doesn’t mean they will get registered for that team. So you have to temporarily put them fully into the B team, register them on deadline day and then return them to the first team squad the next day