Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
bowieinspace

FM19 Athletic Club - Aupa!

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Cleon said:

I've done it with Santos on previous versions, it's a good fun challenge.

Yeah...but Santos has a MUCH bigger squad which means more young players in the ranks. :D

 

Not saying it can't be done but its gonna take A LONG time to develop a competitive team like that especially when you have mandatory release clauses...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jean0987654321 said:

Yeah...but Santos has a MUCH bigger squad which means more young players in the ranks. :D

 

Not saying it can't be done but its gonna take A LONG time to develop a competitive team like that especially when you have mandatory release clauses...

Nah the size of the squad has nothing to do with it. I also did it with Sheffield FC who are in the 9th tier of English football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies, I’ve started it up with the intention of an academy only save.  On previous versions I’ve done OK signing only outrageously expensive Basque 16/17/18 year olds from my rivals and picking up the odd Basque from across the continent, Herrera, Illaremendi etc, but my favourite saves are always youth-focused. 

Hopefully this will develop nicely. 

Edited by Matt_G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Cleon said:

I've done it with Santos on previous versions, it's a good fun challenge.

It's certainly a great test and a challenge on your abilities to make a system work with the tools you have available, even with the ability to sign other basque players making it a bit easier than a strict youth academy challenge, it's still one of the elements of an Athletic save that provides the most satisfaction. I think one of the challenges with Athletic doing this is, at least initially, a bit of a lack of balance. The newgens/regens you get in year one come through at 15/16 years old, so unless they are world beaters, chances are it'll be at least 3 seasons until they are realistically ready for the first team (at least to play anything more than a back up role). Positionally, within that time frame Athletic are well covered (assuming you don't lose players to release clause bids) at GK (Simon), RB (Lekue), CB (Nunez/Yeray/Peru), LW (Muniain/Cordoba), RW (Williams)...however there are serious issues at striker, unless you move Williams there but then there's an issue wide right, and central midfield. Within 3 years pretty much the entire central midfield is getting too old and on a serious decline, you'll be hanging on to San Jose and Dani Garcia in their early 30s, with Sancet the only promising youngster. I think in the initial years as a youth academy challenge, an enormous % of the chance of success comes down to luck with who comes through the youth system, not just in terms of quality but also positions...if you get 3 world class players and they're all goalkeepers in the first 3 seasons, you're screwed with a massive lack of depth/quality within the spine of the team, and an undetermined amount of years to wait for the required player to appear. You can always work around it with a good tactic and set up to some degree, but success will have natural limitations.

I have no idea what Santos are like off the bat in regards to first team ages @Cleon, do they give you a bit of a platform to work with for 5 seasons while waiting for youngsters, or is it an ageing squad? Interestingly, given the conditions I've mentioned above and with an interest in Athletic, I'd love to see what you could do with them on a youth academy only (or even a basque u-16 only) challenge. I'd love to see how someone of your knowledge level and skill managed things.

Edited by bowieinspace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm new to this forum, and I'm actually new to playing with Athletic Club. I started my game last week, and for now, I'm really enjoying it.

It's nice to see a other peoples stories. I'm still in the first season, but how are you guys signing Merino? Ruben Pardo was transfer listed in my game, and still he wouldn't talk about a transfer? 

I'm having some trouble getting Aduriz to score. Anyone else using Guruzeta up front? I'm using Inaki on the right wing, but he is an option for the striker position too. Anyone is doing that? 

Thanks!

Edited by pablopentito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, pablopentito said:

I'm new to this forum, and I'm actually new to playing with Athletic Club. I started my game last week, and for now, I'm really enjoying it.

It's nice to see a other peoples stories. I'm still in the first season, but how are you guys signing Merino? Ruben Pardo was transfer listed in my game, and still he wouldn't talk about a transfer? 

I'm having some trouble getting Aduriz to score. Anyone else using Guruzeta up front? I'm using Inaki on the right wing, but he is an option for the striker position too. Anyone is doing that? 

Thanks!

Merino was an Osasuna youth product, so maybe the game thinks he isn't as reluctant to sign as a Real Sociedad youth player would. You still have to pay him a huge salary to join. I do find that Real Sociedad regens are generally easier to sign than say Illaramendi, Zaldua and Elustondo, who will never entertain offers. Pardo is easier if he joins another club first (as he usually does) and then you activate that release fee around a year later. Zubeldia is much better in my game in the new database - his physical stats are good - and he usually accepts once he's transfer listed.

I have problems with goals whoever is up front. I signed Bautista who had one great season, then couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. If you get a 1 in 3 striker you've done well. Make sure Muniain, Williams (if playing out wide) and your CMs can score, and your CBs are good enough to get goals from set pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have taken the job mid way through the 2020/21 season one place above relegation. Stabilised and finished 7th.

Looking at the squad it all looks pretty similar to everyone elses stories but Inaki had been sold to Chelsea in the summer for 82 mill as he kicked off.

Signed Hererra back from Utd for 10 mill as needed a leader and a load of youth Including a 17 year old called Velez from Sociedad who is one of the best strikers I have seen on the game at that age (will post a screenshot later). I approached them in jan as his clause was 1.2 mill but only got him in the summer for 23 mill after he increased his release clause but with the lack of options was much needed.

Still have most the back 4 that started the game and a young midfield. 7 games into the season won5 drawn 2 scored 8 conceded 1 so you can see how I play. Loving the test so far having to plan ahead and the youngsters that are coming through are class.

 

One question about the transfer policy. With the U16 rule is that any Spanish U16 allowed or any U16 from anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Spanish u16 you sign will gain Basque second nationality immediately, you won’t be able to sign non-Spanish u16.

Not sure if you could get away with signing a dual nationality u16 (where one nationality is Spanish) though... if you come across one it might be worth a try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matt_G said:

Any Spanish u16 you sign will gain Basque second nationality immediately, you won’t be able to sign non-Spanish u16.

Not sure if you could get away with signing a dual nationality u16 (where one nationality is Spanish) though... if you come across one it might be worth a try?

Ah ok makes sense thank you. Wasn't for anyone in particular was just planning where I will scout but if it is only if Spanish is a nationality may as well keep it to spain  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Merino was an Osasuna youth product, so maybe the game thinks he isn't as reluctant to sign as a Real Sociedad youth player would. You still have to pay him a huge salary to join. I do find that Real Sociedad regens are generally easier to sign than say Illaramendi, Zaldua and Elustondo, who will never entertain offers. Pardo is easier if he joins another club first (as he usually does) and then you activate that release fee around a year later. Zubeldia is much better in my game in the new database - his physical stats are good - and he usually accepts once he's transfer listed.

I have problems with goals whoever is up front. I signed Bautista who had one great season, then couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. If you get a 1 in 3 striker you've done well. Make sure Muniain, Williams (if playing out wide) and your CMs can score, and your CBs are good enough to get goals from set pieces.

I've seen Zaldua end up at Athletic on pretty much every FM19 save I've had, I don't think he has a problem with Athletic. Although I guess he maybe wouldn't want to go straight between the two rivals? So perhaps he gets sold then moves to Athletic within a year of leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I've seen Zaldua end up at Athletic on pretty much every FM19 save I've had, I don't think he has a problem with Athletic. Although I guess he maybe wouldn't want to go straight between the two rivals? So perhaps he gets sold then moves to Athletic within a year of leaving.

In in my game he moved to the 2nd division and still wouldn't sign. I've made Yeray my RB, which isn't ideal - but I don't know whether Martín Aguirregabiria is worth spending 10m or so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dothestrand said:

In in my game he moved to the 2nd division and still wouldn't sign. I've made Yeray my RB, which isn't ideal - but I don't know whether Martín Aguirregabiria is worth spending 10m or so on.

Oh he is. Martin has nailed down the RB spot for me with ease...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pablopentito said:

I'm new to this forum, and I'm actually new to playing with Athletic Club. I started my game last week, and for now, I'm really enjoying it.

It's nice to see a other peoples stories. I'm still in the first season, but how are you guys signing Merino? Ruben Pardo was transfer listed in my game, and still he wouldn't talk about a transfer? 

I'm having some trouble getting Aduriz to score. Anyone else using Guruzeta up front? I'm using Inaki on the right wing, but he is an option for the striker position too. Anyone is doing that? 

Thanks!

Guruzeta never kicked on for me. I sold him to Dusseldorf for 1.1M + 50% sell on and he barely for them too and was sold after a season.

 

I have used Nico, Kodro, and a couple of regens there as Villalibre failed to kick on as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jean0987654321 said:

Oh he is. Martin has nailed down the RB spot for me with ease...

Excellent, I did sign him - I've got some young RBs but they're a while off being ready. Alvaro Nunez is pretty handy but no better than backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to get rid of as many old players or players who aint good enough so out went Suseta, Raul Garcia, Aduritz, Benat. 

Mikel San Jose also went as well, I bought in 15m in transfers.

Transfers in I left to my DOF and also just signed any decent player my scouts recommended.

I bought in Kenan Kodro, Ibai Gomez, Iker Losada and Inigo Eguarras for a combined 6m.

2 games played so far, I beat Alaves 1-0 in the first game and drew 0-0 against Vigo.

I am looking forward to seeing this goes.

I got 30m left to spend so if anyone has any recommendations on players then let me know please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I got 30m left to spend so if anyone has any recommendations on players then let me know please.

I've seen it mentioned so many times in this thread I probably mutter it in my sleep, but Mikel Merino has a £25m release clause. He'll probably be willing to join you from January onwards given he only went to Real Sociedad in the summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Decided to get rid of as many old players or players who aint good enough so out went Suseta, Raul Garcia, Aduritz, Benat. 

Mikel San Jose also went as well, I bought in 15m in transfers.

Transfers in I left to my DOF and also just signed any decent player my scouts recommended.

I bought in Kenan Kodro, Ibai Gomez, Iker Losada and Inigo Eguarras for a combined 6m.

2 games played so far, I beat Alaves 1-0 in the first game and drew 0-0 against Vigo.

I am looking forward to seeing this goes.

I got 30m left to spend so if anyone has any recommendations on players then let me know please.

Ivan Martinez, a young keeper at Osasuna, is yours for a 1m or less. He does develop well. You don't really need keepers though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone.

Buying Football Manager every year just to play with Athletic so when I saw this thread I felt I could contribute.

Playing with 4-2-3-1 wide tactic and in mid-season of my 3rd seaseon now. The first 2 seasons we finished 4th and 3rd respectively.

In the first season I got rid of Lekue (since there are 2 RBs etter than him in the squad) and just signed youngsters from other Basque clubs (Yes, I refuse to buyNon-Basque Spanish 16 year olds). I was going ot sell Herrerin too as there are 2 younger equally capable young keepers with much more potential but he was injured and demand was low)

In the second season I sold everyone who is surplus to requirements to make room for the transfer budget (Ganea, Kodro, Rico) and signed Merino for his release clause. I also purchased some decent regens from Basques. In the winter transfer window Sociedad LW Barrenetxea transfer listed for just 3,1 million euros and I bought him immidiately as he is already better than Cordoba and he is 17 which helped me to move Muniain to AMC because Raul Garcias ability declined so much.

Current season we are second and I signed a 17 year old striker from Sociedad for the release fee again (around 20 million) as my strikers Villalibre Cordoba and Guruzeta are not 1st team players but I saw he only scored 4 goals in the first half of the season so maybe he is more for the future.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barrenetxea getting transfer listed is crazy. He is almost immediately labelled a wonderkid. I got him for around 2m and it's a steal. His strength is an issue but his other physicals are OK, and his attributes for a winger are great - you can train him as a striker too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm in January first season, and for now, Guruzeta is doing quite OK to be honest... 7 goals en 7 assists in 15 games ain't too bad actually. Still I hope there comes a striker wonderkid as a newgen throught my youth, to be honest!

Anyone has bought the 16-year old Pelayo Morilla at the start of the game? Does he develop well? Gave him a lot of playing time?

Edited by pablopentito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Damm it I didn't even think I could sign Morilla, I really want to start my save again now.

Depends if you want to sign non-Basque Spanish u16s or not :herman:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m considering doing a Real Sociedad Basque-only save. FM18 perhaps appeals more due to Odriozola and Inigo Martinez, but I noticed you guys are actually signing some of their youth this year - does their academy actually produce players this time? And have talent in it to begin with? It’s been woefully underrated on previous FMs given they’re actually producing good players like Oyarzabal, Odriozola etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

I’m considering doing a Real Sociedad Basque-only save. FM18 perhaps appeals more due to Odriozola and Inigo Martinez, but I noticed you guys are actually signing some of their youth this year - does their academy actually produce players this time? And have talent in it to begin with? It’s been woefully underrated on previous FMs given they’re actually producing good players like Oyarzabal, Odriozola etc

I agree. I'm currently playing as Real Sociedad and there isn't a great deal in the youth team at the start. The first team has some cracking young players though like you say 

I might try and keep signings to Spanish/ basque/French 

Edited by Carlf788

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tip for everyone, make sure you declare interest for a transfer and for a big player declare as a top target and make sure you use a leader to promote him in the media, helps a lot if you want to sign a big name player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ThePietu said:

A tip for everyone, make sure you declare interest for a transfer and for a big player declare as a top target and make sure you use a leader to promote him in the media, helps a lot if you want to sign a big name player. 

I usually do that if the club rejects a bid. Every elite club in Europe unsettles my players so why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dothestrand said:

I usually do that if the club rejects a bid. Every elite club in Europe unsettles my players so why not?

I'm currently trying to unsettle Griezmann. Liverpool matched Inaki's release clause so I need a new striker, he is my long term goal but the wages might be a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ThePietu said:

I'm currently trying to unsettle Griezmann. Liverpool matched Inaki's release clause so I need a new striker, he is my long term goal but the wages might be a problem. 

I signed him on a free in FM18 when he was ageing and his physicals had declined, but was still knocking them in. I can't believe you have a chance though unless he's transfer listed/contract runs out. He's on 400k or more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dothestrand said:

I signed him on a free in FM18 when he was ageing and his physicals had declined, but was still knocking them in. I can't believe you have a chance though unless he's transfer listed/contract runs out. He's on 400k or more!

I'm sure he's on 875k a week when I last looked!

 

Mental. That's more than most clubs in the leagues whole weekly budget. How can atletico Madrid sustain that!? Maybe that's why they are financially ruined as someone who is playing as them mentioned the other day 

Edited by Carlf788

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23-24 season. Hilariously, Barcelona finished NINTH. Us and the two Madrids are generally clear of the chasing pack. Real hit ridiculous form in the run in but going into the last game, we're two points behind, but we're home to Real Madrid, so a win would win us the title. Guess what happens in the 94th minute?????? They score! We went into the game with injuries but I hoped we'd just nick a goal from somewhere. So it's a second place, but we'll come back fighting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some going to getting that close to the title with Bilbao. Imagine having Barcelona 9th haha who's managing them!? Take it messi has retired by then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Carlf788 said:

Some going to getting that close to the title with Bilbao. Imagine having Barcelona 9th haha who's managing them!? Take it messi has retired by then?

I won the 22-23 title. Usually with enough regens and picking up Merino and any other quality Basques, you're in a position to challenge within a few years as long as you find a striker. Messi is retiring now and has 19s/20s in the technical side of his game still, but stamina of 5. They have ter Stegen, De Ligt, Semedo, Sergi Roberto, Kimpembe, Grimaldo, Arthur, POGBA, Neves, Mane, Coutinho, Valverde was sacked in 2023 and Emery took over; sacked in less than a year. The job is now surprisingly vacant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody with more knowledge than me care to inform me of a reason why Kévin Rodrigues isn't given Basque nationality to be eligible to be signed by Athletic in FM? He was born in Bayonne, according to half-arssed wikipedia research that should make him eligible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season One Review

Ended the first season in 5th place, I drew way too many games 0-0, lack of goals really didn't help me with Inaki Williams and Gorka Guruzeta being my top scorers with a measly 8 goals each.

Inigo Martinez was my best overall player with a 7.24 average rating.

I didn't concede a single goal in all competitions until 8th December, I was one game away from beating a La Liga record for cleansheets and of course conceded 2 goals in the record breaking game lol.

I was unbeaten in all competitions until 20th December when I lost 1-0 to Valencia. bounced back with a 3-2 win over Barca with a Guruzeta hattrick, I was 3-0 up at half time but got a bit tense when Barca got 2 quick goals in the 2nd half.

Transfers wise nobody made much of an impact who I bought in, I sold De Marcos,  Herrerin and Iturraspe in January just bringing out the old guard for the new generation.

I got a golden generation in my youth intake, prospect wise Angel Goiria, Andoni Sesma and Ibai Martinez being the standout players in that youth intake.

My aims next season to get Champions League football and try turn them draws into wins more often.

3-2 Win Over Barca Season 1.png

Andoni Sesma Season 1.png

Angel Goiria Season 1.png

End Of Season 1 Review.png

Final League Table Season 1.png

Gorka Season 1.png

Ibai Martinez Season 1.png

Inaki Season 1.png

Inigo Martinez Season 1.png

Transfers Season 1.png

Tactics.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went "full Basque" and sacked the outsider Assistant manager and HOYD, in came former player Roberto Rios to assist me, and Luis Virto as Head of youth, a role he previously held as Osasuno.

Promoted a few players to the senior squad.

Unai Simon and Mikel Rico, at opposite ends of their career, but both will play a rotation role. Asier Villalibre will play back up to Aduriz.

Alvaro Nunez (rb), Xabier Arberas (cb), Peru Nolaskoain (cm), Oihan Sancet (cm), Inigio Vicente (lw) and Gorka Guruzeta (am) will all train with the first team, but play with the B team.

I've already annoyed Unai Lopez, as he couldn't make the 25 man squad, I'll see which right back out of Lekue and Capa is the one most worth keeping, and they'll be sold in January. Hate making snap decisions as poorer looking players can often play better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No goals conceded till December that's mental! Some going only losing 7 games too. I was similar on my sociedad save too using similar tactics, getting loads of low scoring draws.

Then I got Lukaku in and he is the difference. I was tempted to do a Bilbao save instead but not been able to sign proven class players and having to hope you get lucky with youth intakes and then wait years for them to develop put me off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atletico Madrid must be over boosted surely!? They won everything in the first season on my save and they always seem to win the league on other people's saves too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@RandomGuy Guruzeta plays well upfront as a DLF by the way.

I've got him training as a Pressing Forward, in preparation for Arduiz declining. Like to play a high press so the roles perfect for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah I might change it up and use him as a pressing forward instead.

His best role is a Complete Forward so going to try him in a few roles and see what does best.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Griezmann done his cruciate ligaments for up to 9 months how likely is it that he does them again? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Anybody with more knowledge than me care to inform me of a reason why Kévin Rodrigues isn't given Basque nationality to be eligible to be signed by Athletic in FM? He was born in Bayonne, according to half-arssed wikipedia research that should make him eligible. 

Post that in the bugs forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jean0987654321 said:

Post that in the bugs forum

Yeah I will, just I spotted this on FM18 (I've signed him on 19 and he also doesn't have it) and I thought I'd ask around seeing as I generally assume the researchers know more than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Season One Review

Ended the first season in 5th place, I drew way too many games 0-0, lack of goals really didn't help me with Inaki Williams and Gorka Guruzeta being my top scorers with a measly 8 goals each.

Inigo Martinez was my best overall player with a 7.24 average rating.

I didn't concede a single goal in all competitions until 8th December, I was one game away from beating a La Liga record for cleansheets and of course conceded 2 goals in the record breaking game lol.

I was unbeaten in all competitions until 20th December when I lost 1-0 to Valencia. bounced back with a 3-2 win over Barca with a Guruzeta hattrick, I was 3-0 up at half time but got a bit tense when Barca got 2 quick goals in the 2nd half.

Transfers wise nobody made much of an impact who I bought in, I sold De Marcos,  Herrerin and Iturraspe in January just bringing out the old guard for the new generation.

I got a golden generation in my youth intake, prospect wise Angel Goiria, Andoni Sesma and Ibai Martinez being the standout players in that youth intake.

My aims next season to get Champions League football and try turn them draws into wins more often.

3-2 Win Over Barca Season 1.png

Andoni Sesma Season 1.png

Angel Goiria Season 1.png

End Of Season 1 Review.png

Final League Table Season 1.png

Gorka Season 1.png

Ibai Martinez Season 1.png

Inaki Season 1.png

Inigo Martinez Season 1.png

Transfers Season 1.png

Tactics.png

 

I see your balance is some more than 7M, but your transfer budget is 19M. Could you let me know if your balance is raised in te coming months, maybe thanks to TV money? Just asking because I'm in my first season too, and I'm seeing my balance becoming smaller and smaller too... Hope that I can get some players (especially Merino) in the summer transfer window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pablopentito said:

 

I see your balance is some more than 7M, but your transfer budget is 19M. Could you let me know if your balance is raised in te coming months, maybe thanks to TV money? Just asking because I'm in my first season too, and I'm seeing my balance becoming smaller and smaller too... Hope that I can get some players (especially Merino) in the summer transfer window.

I think most of us have found that our second season budgets are low, but they grow in subsequent seasons, If you can let some fringe players go so you can afford Merino, that's often as far as you get in the second season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dothestrand said:

I think most of us have found that our second season budgets are low, but they grow in subsequent seasons, If you can let some fringe players go so you can afford Merino, that's often as far as you get in the second season.

Thanks for the advice mate! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...