Sports Interactive Community

13 hours ago, CFuller said:

And why exactly is that? Could you care to explain that?

Juventus - Ajax at Champions League is the answer about tactics.
Already posted to suggestion forum about vertical and horizontal lines.

2 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

Juventus - Ajax at Champions League is the answer about tactics.
Already posted to suggestion forum about vertical and horizontal lines.

Again, that's not really an explanation.

If you select high defensive line and low line of engagement wouldn't that make your team more vertically compact? Or vice versa. And there are roles and duties to further change positioning. I'm able to play low block, where my team is preetty vertically compact exept for striker who is set as AF and there is huge gap beetween him and my midfielders.

Posted (edited)

Since this is a thread About FM's "difficulty":

Fun fact and Kind of a paradox, if you will: The more customizing and Micro tweaks are added to the tactical engine, the less competitive the AI is going to be… It cannot maximize the Options that are already in -- and will never use them as "intelligently" as a human Player focused on them will. This would only multiply with more Options. The Impact of this could likely be lessened some by making the entire "tactical decisions" process more streamlined, so no Long-winded combinations of the Right mentality, roles and duties to achieve a certain effect  -- but more straight Forward "Football Options" to pick.

Perhaps the tactical presets already are a part of moving in that direction. I can still never see SI making this some Kind of hardcore challenging game. The aforementioned Pathfinder RPG despite its optionally cakewalkd "story mode" is a fairly niche Thing -- and whilst spreadsheet based Management games in General are a bit "hardcore" in itself, that's clearly not intended to be SI's target. They want to reach the broader Football audiences, and even more, as some ad blurb on the Steam store pages had it: "Win any title on the world with any Team in the world" (or something like that). Which is perhaps one of the more popular trends in game development in General, ever since "gaming" has become a Mainstream passtime itself: Making Things more accessible, less frustrating, less complex and in many cases challenging (that said, in Fairness FM has never been a hardcore challenging game. That doesn't mean one can't voice concerns over some of it).

Edited by Svenc

5 hours ago, Mitja said:

wasn't team shape also about vertical compactness, more fluid being more compact? is it still working under the hood, depending on players duty combinations?

horizontal lines can be manipulated by team width and other TIs and also by different PIs. 

You don't understand what I am saying on this topic. It's not about player roles or duty combinations.

Since I am hold UEFA A, distance has huge effect. Horizontal and vertical lines is A & Q in tactics.