Sports Interactive Community

2 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Did you play FM18? Did you find that easier, more difficult or the same? 

Not the full version no. I have had the last 3 versions on my iphone. I thought i would give this years ago due to the revamp in certain aspects. Im pretty sure its my tactics that are the issue. I spent hours last night making sure everything was in place for the start of the season, although I leave the training to my coaches. I picked one of the pre-set tactics and beat everyone on my USA tour. First game of the season, lose 1-2 to Newcastle. 

As far as i remember, for previous editions, i used to read threads dealing with the difficulty of the game because some people found it too difficult, and could not get a balanced tactic which was providing results

This is the first time a lot of users are discussing the fact that they found the game kind of "plug and play" tactical wise, and as a result easier than before.

These several feedbacks from various users, experienced or not, can't be pure coincidence.

I'm sure SI will look into this before release

6 minutes ago, nico_france said:

As far as i remember, for previous editions, i used to read threads dealing with the difficulty of the game because some people found it too difficult, and could not get a balanced tactic which was providing results

This is the first time a lot of users are discussing the fact that they found the game kind of "plug and play" tactical wise, and as a result easier than before.

These several feedbacks from various users, experienced or not, can't be pure coincidence.

I do wonder if the tactical presets are massively contributing to this, in tandem with an ME that now is able to represent pressing as a team. For years people have wanted to implement tikka-takka and pressing systems but not been able work out how to - now, with the click of a button, the instructions are set and you are given some formations to choose from. Sure you can still mess up if you haven't got the squad or the players to work in a system, but a lot of the leg work is taken out for the user so PL sides, for example, who do have the fitness and more technical ability are likely to flourish in these systems. (I haven't tried gegenpress at lower level yet so no idea if it's successful there?).

Edited by Kingstontom88

11 minutes ago, nico_france said:

actually if you done some searching you would find threads like this on other football manager forums, theres always been complaints the game can get to easy, usually from people who go top teams, build super club and sit and dominate for 10 seasons never moving on and challening themselves at different levels of the game.

Edited by iAlwaysWin

Tactics play a huge part, but the longer you play the game a human manager will pick out the best newgens

Edited by Carninho

The problem with the idea of difficulty levels is that handicapping the human manager only slows down the level of progress with the inevitable consequence that given enough time the human manager will eventually overtake the AI. The human manager already has advantages over the AI and if you start on a level playing field (i.e. starting with a top level side with vast amounts of money) you will find it easy to dominate as a result which has been the case throughout the history of the series.

To truly create a more difficult game you are talking about making the AI smarter which means increasing the number of choices it sees. In order to do that you need to increase the number of calculations, which will impact the performance of the game significantly. Considering that the game has to run on such a wide range of different system specs you risk cutting out a significant proportion of the games customer base which is a terrible idea both from a business perspective and customer perspective. Ratcheting up the system specs will make the hardcore fans happy but will alienate the vast majority which will mean less money coming in. In turn that will lead to less ability to invest in the game which as a consequence will lead to a poorer game for everyone.

Short-term fixes could be doing things like ensuring that the AI rotates and rests players better especially at the highest levels. I'm quite fed up with playing against teams in the Champions League which are tired and have a bunch of orange injury listed players starting. At times it almost feels like I'm exploiting the game by resting my players for the easier weekend fixture and putting out a fully fit and rested team in midweek. It gets frustrating as I can see the benefits of resting my best players for the big game but the AI can't. 

If you are thinking about ways in which you can make the game more difficult for yourself, well that comes down to operating from a position where you are at a constant disadvantage hence why I personally prefer to play saves in countries where there is no money and the reputation has to be built up from practically nothing. Playing as Liverpool you have no disadvantages to overcome. You can buy practically anyone you like (provided they are interested) by playing in the most reputable league in the world and you have bucket loads of cash coming in every season so you can afford to do so. It would be a massive disappointment if you didn't do well given those conditions. If you can get the same success in the first season with the likes of Huddersfield Town then I would agree that you might be onto something as that would indicate a serious issue with the difficulty.

As for the OP question of whether FM19 is less difficult than FM18 well everything is relative. Anything you practice enough you will become better at, how can you be sure that the reason why players are achieving such good results in this version isn't that they have learned how to play the game and are more competent? As time goes on in the series there are more and more tools at the disposal of the player which in a way is a good thing as it helps the player to learn how to play but it is a double-edged sword. If the AI isn't able to utilize the same tools efficiently then the likely consequence is the human manager will find the game easier without the game necessarily becoming easier. 

AI capabilities are limitless. AI chess engines can beat the best human players without cheating. I'm sure FM AI also has the potential to develop into smarter AI in a fair way.

Edited by pats

ABOUT THE DIFFICULTY LEVELS:

As I said in a previous comment, the difficulty levels should depend greatly on the quality of the managers you're facing.

1. You should find it very, very hard to beat the likes of Pep, Klopp, Allegri, Zidane etc. Meeting a random guy from Albania (no offense, just an example) should be quite easier. Example - Let's imagine that I (Milan) face Juventus with the same tactic and approach to the game 3 times in the same conditions. Against Juventus with manager Allegri, in 3 games I may get the following results: 0:0, 0:2, 1:2. Let's imagine their manager is his assistant (probably quite worse attributes) and I play the same 3 games in the same conditions as before - results may be something like 1:0, 2:2, 2:1. Because 1.) Allegri would obviously have more knowledge of my tactics and a better tactical approach than his ass man and 2.) his assman would be very unexperienced and wouldn't be able to counter my tactic as effectively, which would get him worse results. The example goes for league performance - Juventus with Allegri should be more likely to hit 90+ points and if a weaker manager takes them, things should get more difficult. Same goes for AI vs. AI. I've seen top managers get owned by some random anonimous dudes in AI vs. AI games for no obvious reason. This wins us the title way too easy, especially after 1-2 seasons.

2. With that said, top leagues will surely have better managers than smaller leagues, making them harder to master (replicating a somewhat "hard difficulty", just like IRL not everyone should be able to make it in a top league). Super tactics in that way may be able to work in smaller leagues but will most certainly be more easily countered in top leagues. There should be difference between managing in Iceland and Italy!

3. For a Football MANAGEMENT game, FM doesn't give enough attention to the other managers in the world - frankly said, the real reason of a team's success irl is the manager (endless list of examples). 

4. To summarize - difficulty levels should be determined by the quality of the "brain" you're facing. A top league shouldn't be easy for ANYONE to master, no matter the conditions. Smaller leagues have shown there's quite frequent dominations by a single team (Croatia, Bulgaria, Belarus, Scotland etc.) because of the low quality of managers there. This should be the "Easy, Medium and Hard" difficulties of FM.

Change my mind.

For difficulty you can have a scenario where the more things you take control of yourself in more detail, the greater the improvement in that aspect youll see.

Training for example, delegate everything to the staff, people will not improve or get worse significantly. Do it yourself you could SIGNIFICANTLY change the training to make your team better or make them much worse if you do it wrong.

But all of this on the understanding if you take control of everything, the rewards for you doing everything right are far higher than when you delegate tasks to the staff?

But the more you delegate away from yourself as a new player the game should be easier as yourr putting trust in your staff who know what theyre doing in FM world like in real life perhaps?

They should also limit the amount of info the assistant manager spews out in my opinion too. A newbie would instantly assume to focus the play on the left wing or get stuck in for no apparent reason but the assistant chirps up with this kind of thing too much

I play Civ games a lot and on the higher levels, the AI gets bumped up in various ways to compensate for the fact that the game-makers know the AI isn't very good at certain things (where to place new cities, how to use battle tactics).

This means that at the higher levels, everyone knows it's not a level playing field, but that's OK because they also know the AI isn't very bright so with enough practice it can still be beaten.

There are some really quick fixes, like making the AI teams have a fit team for kick-off (as mentioned above), rather than regularly playing against teams that have condition at leats 5-10% lower on average than mine.

1 hour ago, pats said:

AI capabilities are limitless. AI chess engines can beat the best human players without cheating. I'm sure FM AI also has the potential to develop into smarter AI in a fair way.

True, there is no question as to whether they could create smarter AI. The question is at what cost? If it means massively increasing the computational power needed to run the game then that is unlikely to be a cost that would be considered worth paying until the average specs of the player base increases to compensate.

54 minutes ago, buffon13 said:

ABOUT THE DIFFICULTY LEVELS:

As I said in a previous comment, the difficulty levels should depend greatly on the quality of the managers you're facing.

1. You should find it very, very hard to beat the likes of Pep, Klopp, Allegri, Zidane etc. Meeting a random guy from Albania (no offense, just an example) should be quite easier. Example - Let's imagine that I (Milan) face Juventus with the same tactic and approach to the game 3 times in the same conditions. Against Juventus with manager Allegri, in 3 games I may get the following results: 0:0, 0:2, 1:2. Let's imagine their manager is his assistant (probably quite worse attributes) and I play the same 3 games in the same conditions as before - results may be something like 1:0, 2:2, 2:1. Because 1.) Allegri would obviously have more knowledge of my tactics and a better tactical approach than his ass man and 2.) his assman would be very unexperienced and wouldn't be able to counter my tactic as effectively, which would get him worse results. The example goes for league performance - Juventus with Allegri should be more likely to hit 90+ points and if a weaker manager takes them, things should get more difficult. Same goes for AI vs. AI. I've seen top managers get owned by some random anonimous dudes in AI vs. AI games for no obvious reason. This wins us the title way too easy, especially after 1-2 seasons.

2. With that said, top leagues will surely have better managers than smaller leagues, making them harder to master (replicating a somewhat "hard difficulty", just like IRL not everyone should be able to make it in a top league). Super tactics in that way may be able to work in smaller leagues but will most certainly be more easily countered in top leagues. There should be difference between managing in Iceland and Italy!

3. For a Football MANAGEMENT game, FM doesn't give enough attention to the other managers in the world - frankly said, the real reason of a team's success irl is the manager (endless list of examples). 

4. To summarize - difficulty levels should be determined by the quality of the "brain" you're facing. A top league shouldn't be easy for ANYONE to master, no matter the conditions. Smaller leagues have shown there's quite frequent dominations by a single team (Croatia, Bulgaria, Belarus, Scotland etc.) because of the low quality of managers there. This should be the "Easy, Medium and Hard" difficulties of FM.

Change my mind.

I don't agree with this at all. I know FM presents you the manager as this megalomaniac type figure who controls absolutely everything which happens at the club but in reality, 10% (that's being generous) of what you see in a real game of football is down to the manager. The simple conclusion to take from this is that better players = better performances on the pitch. Stick any of those managers you mentioned at Accrington Stanley and would they achieve success there? I highly doubt it.

The difficulty should come from the managers' ability to get the basics right which then enable them to get the best out of the players they have at their disposal regardless of the ability of the players. Things like rotating players properly, giving young players opportunities, gearing transfer policy around their chosen philosophy, being astute with player retention (not keeping aging players in decline), increasing the amount of in-game tactical decisions the AI can make. All of these aspects are universal and should apply to all managers in the game, not just the elite but then it comes back to the point of how do you weigh up the computational power required to improve decision making of the AI against ensuring that the game still runs at a reasonable speed for the majority of players.

1 hour ago, grasu said:

There is one thing above all else that makes this game easy: squad building.

On every level and from just about every perspective squad building can easily be abused by humans. It's much too easy to get players that are MILES above your league level for next to nothing or even for free. The AI is the main culprit here as it's simply not capable of retaining players nor does it realistically compete for free signings or players with 6 months left on the contract. Additionally , when a player isn't unsettled at their club and isn't one of the club's best players the AI doesn't even bother to try buying them, even if they would improve their squad. This is an issue when, for example, that player is loaned to you by a club that could use it, but you can continually keep renewing the loan until the player runs out of contract. This has happened to me on several occasions as I had players that I load in the 4th tier and that I kept with me all the way up to the 1st tier. No matter their form the AI never recalled them from loan and didn't even offer them a contract, despite the fact that they were leading stars in the Championship with huge potential.

And this issue with potential leads me to another issue, a much bigger one which is unlikely to be easily fixed: the AI is not capable of appreciating potential. To elaborate, unless a player has gob loads of potential AND can be at least on rotation the AI won't bother bidding for them. This leaves me with an ENORMOUS amount of high quality players to choose from. Since FM favors young players with potential, this means that I can end up with a squad of 120 CA / 150+ PA world beaters within the first 2-3 seasons. It's pretty much the patented way of playing the game that basically every streamer and Youtuber uses. The AI doesn't properly "see" nor can it develop youths so this pretty much gives you free reign over something that should be one of the most contested areas of the game. Let's not forget that there are clubs who send their scouts to U17 tournaments and that, by U19, most of the youths from major nations are already signed with big name clubs. In FM you can still find massively good prospects with poor clubs even in their early 20s!

Finally the AI simply doesn't spend enough money. In a journeyman career about 1 or 2 FMs back I ended up with Bayern Munchen after about 11 seasons. I DISTINCTLY remember this because it shocked me: Bayern hadn't won the Bundesliga in 4-5 seasons but was sitting on a MASSIVE 1 billion (that's billion!) euros in the bank and another 300 million in transfer money. And I actually went about testing this at multiple levels and found out about the same thing: teams have huge cash stashes that they don't spend. This leads to squads aging rapidly and top teams falling out of form, therefore making the game easier. It seems that unless a club has a sugar daddy they simply don't spend enough money.

All of this, in my opinion, makes it very easy to overachieve. Which, in turn, makes the game very easy. So long as you don't gimp yourself and continue to buy the recommended youth players that you've scouted, you're pretty much guaranteed to start winning silverware in 3-4 seasons or less, depending on your team of choice. 

I agree with everything you have written there. I have also encountered the same things during my previous saves. I do wonder though how much the initial game setup is playing a part in the issues that you raised. I think that a lot of the decisions made by the AI are too tied to the reputation mechanic in the game which also doesn't help matters. Why would a team compete for the best young players when the game world is flooded with them alongside established players? Even with a small database, there is still massive amounts of players available in the game.   

Focus should really be on:

Making some of the big clubs perform more consistently and distinctively within this me. That would result in more competition in the league/CL for human teams and playing against human teams.

The overall balance is just pff atm. I am looping for SI to at least created some super managers with distinctive and normally succesful football tactics in order to make fm19 feel more like a real life football simulation.

For the rest I frankly do not mind if I win quite a few matches easily. Or that I can win back to back trebles with Liverpool. I mean , come on....Pep got nothing on me :brock:

There's always the difficulty vs realism tradeoff as well.

I mean, I found beating AI Germany far too easy, but have to admit that Germany's pointless possession play and inability to get in behind my defence is the most realistic simulation of a team's style of play I've ever seen on FM :D 

10 hours ago, santy001 said:

I've seen something about how the point of game design isn't to try and stop players from beating the game, its to make sure the game is beaten by players in a way that is convincing yet satisfying. It's not really relevant to FM in many regards, yet at the same time sort of rings true.

Agreed, no less as football cannot be beaten, naturally. :D  Ideally FM may get to the point that tactical decisions are about marginally shifting the odds -- anything else isn't quite football. So that the AI wouldn't need to be quite genius. However, until more recent anyway it's also struggled with basic common sense. There's many reasons why on FM that doesn't come to pass -- how defending is modeled in-game, for a start. But also arguably the balance between players and tactics. There were releases as recent as FM15ish in which the AI (as well as players) won additional points by superior individual player skill a tad more often than nowadays -- in particular due to dribblings, imo etc.  As of that "common sense" the AI lacks -- I think the Match Of The Day observation brought about by somebody also rings true. Ultimately, SI also have to consider that thanks to MOTD etc. there is a significant portion of its user base which idea of match management boils down to "having more shots and possession". :) So they have to consider how they code the AI. AI traditionally already has a slight edge over players which ideas of football boil down to "having more shots etc. in the final match stats" -- at least in individual matches.

I am going to maintain that the only ever "Natural" way of introducing difficultys was overhauling the assistant manager systems. No less as various managers (right at the top) have delegated much in the past... including the assistants (co-)developing the club's entire playing style on the pitch, and more. Assistants basically ARE AI, and as such would develop alongside all AI in equal measures. Howver, I have a feeling that SI aren't going that route either way, as their credo has always been that they don't want to spoon feed players and that they are meant to figure things out on their own (even though they do much more "spoon feeding" than ten years ago). An assistant proper isn't merely "spoon feeding" -- he's essentially taking over huge parts of the job FM simulates. Not SI's kinda thing -- and they'd likely have doubts over how engaging their program would be too if you could basically delegate everything with much success. This is a paradox, but the closer a program tends to be to a true "simulation", the less of a "game" it tends to be. This goes for simulating football management all the same.

Edited by Svenc

10 hours ago, santy001 said:

I've seen something about how the point of game design isn't to try and stop players from beating the game, its to make sure the game is beaten by players in a way that is convincing yet satisfying. It's not really relevant to FM in many regards, yet at the same time sort of rings true.

Agreed, as football cannot be beaten, naturally. :D  Additionally, ideally FM may get to the point that tactical decisions are about marginally shifting the odds -- anything else isn't quite football. So that the AI wouldn't need to be quite genius anyways. However, until more recent anyway AI has also struggled with basic common sense. There are many reasons why on FM tactical decisions can do more than shifting the odds a bit in general -- how defending is modeled in-game, for a start. But also arguably the balance between players and tactics. There were releases as recent as FM15ish in which the AI (as well as players) won additional points by superior individual player skill a tad more often than nowadays -- in particular dribblings, etc.  I think the Match Of The Day observation brought up by somebody rings true. Ultimately, SI  have to consider that due to how football is presented on mainstream TV, there is a significant amount of its user base which idea of match management  boils down to "having more shots and possession" and similar. :) Over any such player, the AI has already had a slight edge for a very long time -- and it shows, at least in individual matches.

I am going to maintain that, if ever, the only "Natural" way of introducing difficultys was overhauling the assistant manager systems. No less as various managers (right at the top) have delegated much in the past... including the assistants (co-)developing the club's entire playing style on the pitch, and more. Assistans are AI all the same, so would benefit from AI development all the same. However, I have a feeling that SI aren't going that route either way, as their credo has always been that they don't want to spoon feed players and that they are meant to figure things out on their own (even though they do much more "spoon feeding" than ten years ago). An assistant proper isn't merely "spoon feeding" -- he's essentially taking over huge parts of the job FM simulates. Additionally, SI may worry how engaging their program would be if you could delegate it all with much success. To a degree, the more a program is a simulation proper, the less of a game it tends to be. This holds true for simulating football management all the same.

Edited by Svenc

9 hours ago, pats said:

That's an entirely different form of artificial intelligence though, it's pure logic without any abstract thinking required for a simulation.

In chess there are a finite number of squares, pieces and thus potential scenarios.  The computer simply needs to process every potential move, and choose the optimum one. While it's not strictly 'cheating', the memory and processing power since the 90s is beyond superhuman, so it doesn't represent a fair game against a real opponent.

The challenge Sigames have is they don't just need the AI to be able to win, they need it to win whilst retaining the illusion of being a fair human like competitor. To win it all needs to do is simulate the match a 1,000 times before kick-off, then select the tactical preset that would always beat yours and any variation thereof.

This is why the AI is constrained to the same level of data the user is, however naturally a human will always be able to endlessly adapt and tweak that to gain an upper hand. If the AI were to do the same, it would eventually be able to exploit the ME but it wouldn't convince the player it was playing against a human.

Every video game has suffered from this, hence why online gaming is so dominant. Given technology is still nowhere near being able to replicate human thinking, usually the developer will try to handicap the player with artificial boosts to AI abilities, or allow it to access data within the game the user doesn't have.

Sigames have (rightly) opted against both of these to keep the a game a truer simulation, but ultimately it means to have any form of challenge you need to handicap yourself with the options available. (i.e. smaller club,, reptuation, transfer restrictions etc).

Edited by dannyfc

I've just seen an interception map uploaded by somebody using the Gegenpress. If it's supposed to be overpowered, it doesn't show there (and should). There were almost zero interceptions in the opposition's half. If Gegenpressing as such was overpowered, it should show there, shouldn't it? He won a sizeable number of matches against opposition a tier above his. But he did it in the way the SI Staff on the Twitch dominated Bayern -- they easily kept the ball, and contrary, weren't even much forced to see that "Gegenpress" in action. We're talking 60%+ possession numbers against higher ranked opposition with pass completion bordering on the 90% range. Reminders of somebody posting in the General impression thread how AI would react to Gegenpress tactics with parking the bus. Not sure if true.

But the statistics completely fit the bill, including the one-dimensional shot counts, possession and passing stats, everything. And everything seen in that SI Twitch. That in itself is curious -- top flight opposition opting to "park the bus" against lower ranked sides. Let alone Bayern doing it. However, either AI seem to "park that bus" pretty damn badly in FM 19. Or it is rather that "parking the bus" now is severely underpowered. Memories of a prior release where if you sat back, it was pretty hard to get out of your half again after (inevitably) winning back the ball deep in your own area over and over again.

Edited by Svenc

I've won all the possible trophies in 3 years except the first french supercup against monaco.

image.thumb.png.9952e7e1314fdf23a2ea8eebbfe5c447.png

30 minutes ago, ikendz said:

I've won all the possible trophies in 3 years except the first french supercup against monaco.

No need for these kind of posts, Super club par average league.

On 26/10/2018 at 14:02, Mensell76 said:

Focus should really be on:

Making some of the big clubs perform more consistently and distinctively within this me. That would result in more competition in the league/CL for human teams and playing against human teams.

The overall balance is just pff atm. I am looping for SI to at least created some super managers with distinctive and normally succesful football tactics in order to make fm19 feel more like a real life football simulation.

For the rest I frankly do not mind if I win quite a few matches easily. Or that I can win back to back trebles with Liverpool. I mean , come on....Pep got nothing on me :brock:

Do you mean competition like this from the Ai.

Screenshot-2.png

2 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Do you mean competition like this from the Ai.

Screenshot-2.png

That indeed is competition so far. Shall we wait how your league ends? Is Pep still manager of City because he already is way behind again. Do matches against top teams look interesting and are they heavy? Do you see distinctive tactics against you?

That indeed is competition so far. Shall we wait how your league ends? Is Pep still manager of City because he already is way behind again. Do matches against top teams look interesting and are they heavy? Do you see distinctive tactics against you?

They could all fall away of course but hey so could i, wouldnt be surprised if utd won the league to be honest. In term of games, liverpool are my main rivals this season and last, looks like they play the gegenpressing tactics, they have beating me twice and i tend to notice they give me no time at all on the ball.

Pep is no longer manager, sacked for finishing 3rd, which is quite harsh to be honest, ancelotti took over.

Edited by iAlwaysWin

10 hours ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Pep is no longer manager, sacked for finishing 3rd, which is quite harsh to be honest, ancelotti took over.

Ancelotti is at City in my save too!

18 hours ago, iAlwaysWin said:

They could all fall away of course but hey so could i, wouldnt be surprised if utd won the league to be honest. In term of games, liverpool are my main rivals this season and last, looks like they play the gegenpressing tactics, they have beating me twice and i tend to notice they give me no time at all on the ball.

Wait til you get 10 years in. Hoping 19 is better but the further you get in, with a big club, the less challenge you get from the others. 

If I’m ever 10-15 years in with a big club it’s usually harder to finish 2nd than win the league. 

I usually start my saves with FC Inter but this year I wanted to give a go to Sigma Olomouc as I live nearby and I went to some of their games this year. I decided to block the transfer market 'till January and play my chances with the player I had, which seemed decent. I've never been a great 'tactician' although I've had my share of decent results, but with Sigma It was a blast.
I kicked out Gent and Feyenoord and gained my access to EL groups, where I ended up with Sporting, Eintracht and Genk ; there I lost just away at Lisbon winning other 2 and drawing 3.
In the league things are amazing aswell, I'm now at the end of winter break with all wins and 3 draws. Sitting first, with Slavia and the other big teams ( my yearly squad wage is 0 compared to them ) following behind.

For a while I truly believed I found the perfect tactics and my good results were due to that + the fact that I created myself as a great coach with international football past and so on.

That one definitely counts, but then I've started to read posts around and maybe it's also the game being too easy.

I'm having a lots of fun anyways...

On 26/10/2018 at 12:22, nico_france said:

It is correct - but it was possible to cheat the FM18 match engine with certain tactics - that was one of many flaws in that version and probably also one of the reasons that version had so many bad reivews.

I use a preset gegenpress tactic. Had two promotions in two seasons and just started my third season in LEague two with 6 straight wins. There is issues for sure - but not sure yet how big they are yet. Need probably play at least 5 seasons to make a final judgement.

On 27/10/2018 at 05:41, ikendz said:

Plays as PSG....says the domestic campaign is too easy.

I'm really confused at people saying FM19 is easy, I'm having a really tough time...even with downloaded tactics from this board.

Is there some sort of magical power with teams such as Liverpool in fm19?

9 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Anything i can do Man Utd Ai seem to be able to match it, and all this talk of the Ai being weak....

Screenshot-5.png

They'll fall away soon enough. If you get 2.5 points a game, you'll win the league.

doesnt change the fact this man utd team has only conceded 7 goals in 20 league games and won 18 games out of 20, if i wasnt having such a fantastic league campainge myself i would be saying the Ai is overpowered not the opposite, being weak.

1 minute ago, iAlwaysWin said:

doesnt change the fact this man utd team has only conceded 7 goals in 20 league games and won 18 games out of 20, if i wasnt having such a fantastic league campainge myself i would be saying the Ai is overpowered not the opposite, being weak.

True. It's a bit annoying because you should be relaxed and probably seven points clear by now. It used to really annoy me, but now when someone does that, I know they'll sooner or later have a run of four points from four games and you'll blow them away.

17 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

True. It's a bit annoying because you should be relaxed and probably seven points clear by now. It used to really annoy me, but now when someone does that, I know they'll sooner or later have a run of four points from four games and you'll blow them away.

am actually not worried about them, am more woried about real madrid in the c.l, am just pointing out the Ai can also go on imposiable runs just like a human, under normal circumstances i would not be ahead of this man utd team, i know Ai has weaknesses and needs improved year on year.

Edited by iAlwaysWin

I'm playing as Dundalk, not quite up there with any of the top team, never mind any of the big leagues. I walked the league with maybe 4 difficult domestic matches but I found the Europa League even easier. Straight wins from the 1st round qualifiers. Topped the group with 6 wins without trying and only got a hard game in the 1st knockout round v Monaco... 2-2 at home to win 3-2 on agg. Dundalk are a decent team IRL but not that good.

Using 4231 control possession with some minor changes from the preset as a primary tactic.

After 100 hrs of FM19 it is still an enjoyable game but will I still get the 1K - 4K hrs of enjoyment that I normally get from FM?

P 20 w 18 d 1...top of the league and using that as evidence the game isnt too easy?

Lol

Dont worry tho, liverpool won the first 12 games without conceding a single goal... But of course bottled it later in the season to ensure i won the title. And whilst liverpool were good... Spurs, city, arsenal and chelsea were all miles behind

11 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

P 20 w 18 d 1...top of the league and using that as evidence the game isnt too easy?

Lol

Dont worry tho, liverpool won the first 12 games without conceding a single goal... But of course bottled it later in the season to ensure i won the title. And whilst liverpool were good... Spurs, city, arsenal and chelsea were all miles behind

So the game is to easy for man utd Ai as well? if i hadnt also won 18 out of 20 the game would be hard, as man utd would be miles ahead of me, i guess real life was to easy for man city last year? your posts really arent helpfull.

just for the record am not using anything as evidence, am showing the ai is far from weak when it wants to be.

Edited by iAlwaysWin

1 minute ago, iAlwaysWin said:

So the game is to easy for man utd Ai as well? if i hadnt also won 18 out of 20 the game would be hard, as man utd would be miles ahead of me, i guess real life was to easy for man city last year? your posts really arent helpfull.

Nah youre just the best manager in the world. I just wish they made it easier, with your skill it should be 20/20 wins... Cheating AI

4 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Nah youre just the best manager in the world. I just wish they made it easier, with your skill it should be 20/20 wins... Cheating AI

lol its not like i havent done this sort of thing in previous football managers, ive been playing since champ 2, ive had lots of experience

Edited by iAlwaysWin

Well I can partially agree that it can seem easy - however, during my first season at Newcastle, although I won the Carbaro Cup I had the typical up and down season and finished 10 (though it wasnt looking that way as the season drew to the end)..

What did happen was Mike Ashley finally sold the club and had £130m to spend in the summer, got rid of the dead wood and brought in around 7 players......so far in my 2nd season, I have played 37 (including friendlies and EURO), lost 0 and only drew 2!! Currently top of the league in December...only by 5 points however as Chelsea and Liverpool have been right in the mix since the beginning!

So I started a Bournemouth save as the Utd one was way too easy. 

I'm doing my best not to score from crosses which are OP - assist location shown below (take out set pieces I just have 5 assists from the flanks) 

I'm not gegenpressing - as shown by my possession stats (42%) 

It's a custom 442 again - no preset 

It's Feb - Just won the carabao cup vs utd, i'm 7th in the league (despite long term injuries to several key players) 

League performance may not be unrealistic but that by putting a huge disadvantage on myself by not pressing or using wingplay! And like others with small clubs ive won the cup. 

2075682613_2018-10-29(3).thumb.png.972b1cbe3ce08dd540e4da1f2c0a7937.png

2018-10-29.thumb.png.f2c03be9f9e36d9bcca44c65acaebd38.png

12115139_2018-10-29(4).thumb.png.c10ca4d3bcfbb171b32475f9647fe782.png

I won't say the game is *too* easy, because I understand that is very individual, but I just can't seem to lose in this beta, and I have been incredible bad at FM throughout the years. With my first real try with the beta, I went unbeaten through the Championship with newly relegated Wolves (with a PL roster, I must add). Now, back in PL, I am still unbeaten ten games in, including away against Man C and U. On the other hand, I've seen creators on YouTube strugge with their teams. I don't know what to make of it yet. Maybe I have been lucky.

Also, in previous versions of FM the other team often scored a 90+ minute equalizer or game winning goal against me, whereas in FM19 my team is the one to do it in every other match.

Still enjoying the game, though.

Edited by Viking

I've had mixed results. 

Played a Villa save and really struggled, couldn't get a settled formation and players that should have been tearing up the league were useless. Scarily close to real life unfortunately as a Villa fan. 

Sacked that off and started a journeyman save unemployed. Hired at Loughgall in NI, bottom of the Championship 2/3 of the way through the season. Saved them from relegation on the last day, but had started with a 5/6 game unbeaten run which was ridiculous. 

Second season with Loughgall I got promoted through the playoffs with a miniscule budget, virtually the same squad as nearly got relegated and an average crowd of about 30... Not an unbeaten or easy season by a long stretch, but definitely a hell of an overachievement.

Then got offered the Cliftonville job (couldn't turn down, they're my local team) and it's been really hit and miss with them. Flip flopping between wins and losses, no real consistency and definitely not an "easy" save. Be interested to see how my second season with them plays out though. 

Slightly different topic but if the game is "too easy" or you've exhausted your options, what challenges do you guys impose on yourselves? My usual one is to get a fully homegrown team to win the league/get promoted. I've taken Kidderminster Harriers to the Europa League, Cork City to supplying a good chunk of the ROI national squad and had a decent swing at the San Marino challenge, which is essentially the same idea. Any other suggestions that don't require the editor/custom databases etc?

When the headline features were announced and we glimpsed the revamped tactics screen for the first time, the Mods were quick to wipe the foaming mouths of those who were bleating 'gegen' this and 'tika-taka' that. It fact, it was stressed by some in the strongest possible terms that the pre-sets were 'starting points' not plug, play and win tactics.

In the case of managing a top 4-6 side, wherever I look; YouTube, Twitch, the forums and even chatting to players I know - The pre-sets in their BETA format are demonstrably plug, play and win. 

Just now, rdbayly said:

that the pre-sets were 'starting points'

They are still that. We have kept on saying that it's a starting point for a specific style. You may be lucky in that it works as is, but in all likelihood, you will need to make a couple of tweaks. But you've seen those posts, right?

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

They are still that.

I'm in doubt that was the intention, but in their unchanged state they are equipping many with the ability to smash the AI to pieces. Not much of a starting point if no further development is required?

Just now, rdbayly said:

I'm in doubt that was the intention, but in their unchanged state they are equipping many with the ability to smash the AI to pieces. Not much of a starting point if no further development is required?

No, it was the actual intention. We have stated this from the start.