FM difficulty...

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

That's because the majority of people who are struggling won't feel the need to post (brag) about it on the internet. 

On the contrary, usually threads during beta's are full of complaints about failing to score from 100 CCCs and so on. I don't recall ever seeing so many posts complaining the game's too easy.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/10/2018 at 07:01, phnompenhandy said:

I don't have the beta and have to wait for the full game, but I'm anxious to know of people managing lower league sides in the beta are coasting through their games too. I hope not.

I'm sure not! So far I've been sacked in Wales and barely survived a relegation battle in N. Ireland. It's been tough to find a tactic that I could get my players to execute.

2 minutes ago, Galeg said:

I'm sure not! So far I've been sacked in Wales and barely survived a relegation battle in N. Ireland. It's been tough to find a tactic that I could get my players to execute.

I'm struggling a bit with a mid-table Serie A side, although we've picked up a bit of form recently. Sitting roughly where they are in real life at the moment, scorelines have been pretty realistic so far. 

4 minutes ago, Galeg said:

Well that's, er, good news! I've just been reading another thread that suggests at part-timer level players never get injured in training. Are you seeing that?

2 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Well that's, er, good news! I've just been reading another thread that suggests at part-timer level players never get injured in training. Are you seeing that?

I can't recall a training injury, but I have been resting players a lot. It seems like anything over 3-4 games in 3 weeks causes a high risk injury rating. It's been kind of challenging to manage match sharpness.

1 minute ago, Galeg said:

I can't recall a training injury, but I have been resting players a lot. It seems like anything over 3-4 games in 3 weeks causes a high risk injury rating. It's been kind of challenging to manage match sharpness.

Good. I set myself lower league challenges where my total squad is c 21 youths and no incomers until the academy intake. Hopefully it will be tough.

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Right, and it's more than that. Those top-class managers, Pep and Jurgen each took a full season to impress their tactics on their squads. Nobodies like us, even with our 'badges', shouldn't take any club and get our tactics to gel so fast.

I hope SI take these repeated testimonies seriously because for me this is tantamount to a gamebreaker.

Pep & Jurgen have already created the sides people are taking over in FM? Why not make your own tactics and not use SI's? There is a balance thats needed for experienced FMr's like yourself and those new or not so experienced

For me the issue is the AI manager, the improvement is needed here including squad building. Its also likely a difficult goal to achieve.

I'd like to see SI taking note (I expect they do) of how human FM gamers set-up teams, react when winning, react when losing, how they build squads and somehow include this level of competence as part of AI Management

Injury levels are already set in game at 80% of that irl to avoid the moaning that happens in the forums. I suspect there may be other areas

I would think that FM err's on the side of allowing FM gamers more success than little success. This is why the die hards / LLM play with strict rules. For those that want that challenge try there and see how easy the game is

10 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

I would think that FM err's on the side of allowing FM gamers more success than little success. 

And that's the way it should be. The overwhelming majority of FM players would be, I expect, the more casual gamer. Therefore the game has to be just as enjoyable for them. If you're an expert at a particular game, it's always going to be easy for you. Look at how many people whine about 'legendary' being too easy on FIFA, whereas I couldn't cope with anything over 'Pro' :D

I don't have the beta, hence stalking on here reading every damn post. It really does look like the balance is way off and will put off serious players and casuals alike after a while.

However, I have found a safe place for masochists such as myself. The Dafuge and Academy Challenges are producing a lot of wonderful mediocrity. That's where you'll find me - with the lowest of lower league clubs, not allowed to bring in any players, having to nurture hopeless academy products with no staff or facilities to take advantage of all this new training malarky. And Fat Sid and Peg-Leg Pete won't be fannying about with no Geggenpressing or Tiki-Taka neither!

22 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I don't have the beta, hence stalking on here reading every damn post. It really does look like the balance is way off and will put off serious players and casuals alike after a while.

What you also have to remember is it will be far easier to manage a top side out the box this year, due to the number of preset tactics available that will suit good teams, it's like having a few downloaded tactics from the internet immediately available in your game. I'd bet my last pound that the vast majority of those claiming it's too easy will be at a big club using a version of these presets. 

There's a number of people, some prominent content creators included that have already been sacked by lower league clubs in the first season. 

I remember when I saw the videos for the new tactical system, and I said at the time this would make the game easier for certain people. And so it's proven. I'm very seldom wrong you know :rolleyes:

First of all, I'm just sharing my thoughts and opinions based on this version of FM vs the many earlier versions I've played-  and in the past using a standard SI provided tactic I was very rarely successful so had to build my own tactic (often without much success!).     

This year so far in the beta, I am using a standard provided formation and tweaked one or two instructions such as ask the GK to roll out and not to dive in....and I'm unbeaten in the league heading into January and along the way I beat Bayern Munich 5-0.   As I say, I've never experienced this kind or unbeaten run with, even with a big team before and while watching other YouTubers play the beta with the larger teams, it seems the same for them so hence I mentioned my thoughts on this post as I thought it was just me and that I must have been lucky to select a winning standard tactic.

I'm not having to change my tactics, adjust my training sessions. I am doing some scouting, rotating the squad and dealing with the media before clicking continue to move along and as a result...I'm on a lengthy unbeaten run.

Once the full game comes out I'll be moving lower down the leagues so it may be different, but I can only go by what I'm seeing with this beta save to date.

Brilliant game though, I think the look and feel of the game is up there. (And I'm liking the purple! :-) )

4 hours ago, tajj7 said:

Disagree, it's a game, it should be fun not a job and it will always be more fantasy, but again that is part of the fun. There always needs to be a balance between the more casual and more hardcore players, a lot of us don't have 1000s of hours to change tactics every game or watch every game in extended or have 5 tactics depending who we play or whatever. Most of us just want to load of up with our favourite teams, find a good tactic that vaguely works, buy some players and have some fun. 

You are also missing one key point, in real life a manager looks a player and must decide if that player is good, can do the role he is asking of him etc. That is not very clear to them, it's very subjective and based on experience.

In game we can just look at player A and player B and see their attributes, and see that player A is better than player B. Makes the whole picking the team and buying players way more easier than it is IRL. 

Also you should realise that pretty much every player playing as a big club will go straight in and buy some better players to fill an obvious weakness. Someone will go to Man Utd and spend £50 million a centre-back and Man Utd instantly become a lot better (plus Man Utd have for example an Arsenal level Alexis Sanchez, not a current not performing Sanchez). One of my favourite youtubers Loki is doing a beta save with Utd, is doing really well and is making jokes about Mourinho, but he went straight in and bought Varane, he has a good Alexis Sanchez and he also bought Dani Alves (who is still amazing at 35), 

Should also be noted, that aside from the Premier League, one team pretty much dominates every European League (or two in Spain), it's not really then that hard for other teams to basically do the same when they really only have to beat 1-2 good teams and then just dominate other much lesser teams. 

In real life a manager will have a ton of data, reports and videos of any player he is interested in.  In the the game we have attributes with more or less the same info

22 hours ago, haffaz77 said:

I'm sorry to say this ... but when i play FM 19 (im managing Hamburg) .. Feels like i am unbeatable.

Do you mean unbeatable in division one or two? If you mean division two I don't find it surprising at all?

41 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Very interesting to see so many people claiming the game is too easy - while having to cope with this injury 'bug' that leaves '16' of their players out and '2-4' taken off each match. :rolleyes: 

Injury issue has nothing to do with the tactics module, which has obvious issues atm. 

31 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Very interesting to see so many people claiming the game is too easy - while having to cope with this injury 'bug' that leaves '16' of their players out and '2-4' taken off each match. :rolleyes: 

I've had a max of 4 first teamers out at the same time from my Dortmund 25 man squad in 6 months, so I just rotate and use my fringe players.  Maybe I've got lucky so far :-)  Helps me avoid the "I'm not getting enough play time" as well :-)

Started my save with Sassoulo . Decided to try the pre set tactics so started with fluid counter. After an unbeaten pre season I played eight games winning 3 drawing 2 and losing 3. I then switched to the vertical tika taka tactic. No tweeks. Seven wins ,two draws and no losses later I'm third in the table. Beat Juventus 3-0 at home,top of the table Lazio 1-2 away and 0-0 home to Milan. It's all the original squad .

While it's pleasing at the moment, I hope all the saves I do with be this easy. Appreciate it is hard to strike a perfect balance. In previous versions I struggled with my own tactics.

Some people like games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls that woops your ass, other people like putting Minecraft on peaceful. It's about striking a balance. I'm at the stage when I don't want a stressful game, so if it's easier, it's fine by me. I've not played enough of the beta to decide if it is or not. I'm waiting for full release.

There are ways to make the game more difficult for yourself though, as well as easier. I'd say base FM should be what is "normal" difficulty on a normal game. Basically you may die a few times if you don't know the genre/gameplay well, but once you do, you'll not have much trouble.

I'ver personally learned that feedback as regarding to FM's perceived level of difficulty (which ultimately, is AI) needs be approached with cautious. Reasons of which aren't so much the many ways you can approach the game, with editors and various other ways already providing "levels of difficulty", so to speak. But rather that from my experience, most players outperform AI heavily without actually realizing. Even the traditionally "monaees" you see coming to the tactics forums how impossible the game would be -- they oft achieve stuff the AI would never do with the subsequent squads at disposal, like ever.

AI development needn't go but one way too. Proper assistants may benefit of superior AI likewise.... which is arguably the most natural level of difficulty you could ever implement into a management game. No less because top managers have delegated things to assistants in the past, including as high as Barca (Henk ten Cate, anyone?) Of course, if in-game there's no Pep, there's not going to be a Henk's helping assistant hands either. :D

1 hour ago, Terry1973 said:

Too easy 

look at my port vale results playing with the same 532 tactic every game.

Also, When I’m winning 2-0 often get feedback that the opposition has changed to a more cautious approach.  

356FA90A-5854-43BB-95BA-F18904523A9A.jpeg

Yeah, agree, you can find counter arguments to anything or atleast Dagenham dave can :) .  Im not a good manager but winning far too often but im one of thoose in the facepalm situation so what do i know, right. Also, the opponents switching to a more caution  when you are in the lead approach is probably a bug but excuse for pointing it out

Of course it's not possible to assess the difficulty of the game after just a few seasons, but it's possible to have an impression. And I have the impression, too, that it is a lot easier this year. In my beta save i qualified with SC Freiburg in the bundesliga for the champions league in my second season with a squad which should battle against relegation.

And everyone who saw my youth challenges on previous versions of the game should know that i am an average player by best ;) Maybe i am lucky, maybe i found an excellent tactic, but i've the feeling it's a lot easier than on FM18 (or 17, 16...) and i tried a few things on some quick saves with other teams and it seemed too easy, too (especially with good manager stats)

So that's my impression (on the other hand i see other people with experience struggling).

Mabye in a few weeks after starting my unemployed, sunday-league-footballer with no badges main save i will think otherwise, but i hope that SI looks into this because i can't remember that so many players are thinking that the game is too easy...

Bit easy. If I finish in CL spots with Cardiff first season Id actually be a bit disappointed. But loving game considering its in Beta. Full release will be spot on hopefully.

This is my second save (First run was with united and had a ton of injuries blah blah). Im playing same tactics here with Cardiff (minor tweaks when playing big clubs/in match if needed) and same training but the injury bug has not really effected me at all on this save. If anything less injuries than you would expect for a small squad..!

image.thumb.png.68f82f23d8a3f3ba85ffd5ded4d30997.png

If you think about the newbie or even average user, who has no deep tactical knowledge and basically puts something up with minimal customizations and leaves most of the management to the assistant and wants to enjoy the game... loosing constantly, or finding it too hard to win, would drive them away from the game.

It's not surprising to me that most people here on the forums find the game too easy, because the sole fact that we are here, means that we are at least interested in learning more deep aspects, watch tutorials, live streams, share/download tactics, etc etc. But we are not the majority of players, keep that in mind.

Difficulty levels could be something to think about...

7 minutes ago, 99 said:

If you think about the newbie or even average user, who has no deep tactical knowledge and basically puts something up with minimal customizations and leaves most of the management to the assistant and wants to enjoy the game... loosing constantly, or finding it too hard to win, would drive them away from the game.

It's not surprising to me that most people here on the forums find the game too easy, because the sole fact that we are here, means that we are at least interested in learning more deep aspects, watch tutorials, live streams, share/download tactics, etc etc. But we are not the majority of players, keep that in mind.

Spot on, agree 100%.

2 hours ago, 99 said:

I disagree 100%. Football fans are who will buy this game, not anyone else.  Any football fan knows that Cardiff should not be on top of the table, if the game is too easy or not realistic, everyone will know and avoid it like the plague.  The newness and fun of a Cardiff winning the league or Rotherham gegenpressing their way up  the tables will get old real quick.

Interested to hear how peoples opponents are performing..

I've played 30 games with Liverpool and have 71 points but still 6 points behind Utd, if I pick up the same average number of points I've got so far this season (2.36 per game) I will end with 89/90 points which IRL would of been enough to win the PL title 8 out of the past 10 years and I probably won't with the run Utd are on. My save is on average harder than real life with that in mind.. not complaining, I prefer a challenge, but I am interested to hear if people have had easy runs or if they are truely accumulating an unrealistic number of points

5 hours ago, 99 said:

We're constantly reminded that FM is a niche game so the uneducated newbie whose only exposure to football tactics comes from Match of the Day or the equivalent in their country are likely few & far between, I'd wager that the majority who buy FM are either football fans who fancy themselves as having the tactical nouce to have made it as a football coach IRL or are strategy game fans who have a catalogue of games which includes OOTP, EHM, TCM & a load of Paradox Interactive games with both player types needing the FM AI to offer a challenge that is difficult to overcome so that there is a sense of achievement when they win trophies.

If more people than ever are finding this installment too easy then hopefully this will be the trigger for SI to dedicate more resources to rework the non-player AI so that managers present the challenge their abilitiies suggest they should provide, I'd cartainly welcome it as I've found the game far too easy since FM14 & haven't played a long term career save since FM16 because of the ease at which I would quickly rise through the divisions even though I'm more towards the LLM zealot end of the player type scale. It's kind of funny that the last FM's which really provided a challenge were 11 & 12 because while I would actively avoid the ME exploits the AI was unable to which in the wrong way levelled the playing field to an almost perfect balance but as the ME has been improved upon year after year the AI does not appear to have kept pace with the changes & we now have a Howard Wilkinson tactical AI trying to compete in a Pep Guardiola world.

8 hours ago, 99 said:

True so true

I watched tutorial a lot back in FM15 mostly from Bust the net

I dream of the moment when FM success/failure will be dependant on how good are the AI managers you face. This HAS TO BE the game's real dificulty dependancy. After a few seasons in (sometimes even in first season) I find no difference in meeting Guardiola/Mourinho/Klopp (or any other big tactician) and meeting a weak-ass manager from Zanzibar. I don't even pay attention too much to managerial changes in my rival teams. Yes, they play their styles, but the real big managers in football WILL adapt if you are a dominant side and WILL find the flaws (there always are such) in your approach.

It's not a smarter and harder AI in general that FM needs to become really interesting - it's smarter and harder to beat "superstar" AI managers. Only then will FM become realistic enough for everyone, and in the mean time, not too hard.

Love the game, but I am finding it very easy. 

Discovered the 4-2-4 wide formation is amazing and effective regardless of who I managed. 

Currently Arsenal manager (where I was able to sign Hazard £88m and Kante £75m) and so far I have won my first 8 league games including a 0-3 win at the champions City and beating Spurs and Chelsea away. 

It is quite easy, especially with what seems like a loop hole system of 424 wide.  

vor 17 Stunden schrieb ajt:

Do you mean unbeatable in division one or two? If you mean division two I don't find it surprising at all?

Division 2 . But that's not only my point. I've beaten Bremen (division  one) in 2nd cup round 1-0 . and bremen did not shoot once at my goal. 3rd Round vs Dortmund . i won 2-0 . Dortmund shot twice . Gegenpress is so damn overpowered . But i've got hope that they gonna fix it til 2nd nov . I definitely can not play like this and wait for a patch after official release . 

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

WORD! :lol:

UNWORD, actually.

It's the same fundamentally misconception masses of sports fans tend to have about players.  No doubts heavily influenced by how mainstream media write about sports -- sport protagonists either tend to be invincible super heroes worshipped or useless who should never have had a chance to show up to spoil the super hero's show. Any top sports is settled in slight margins, not significantly edges. Clubs spend gazillions in an attempts to go a few extra percent, to gain that small edge necessary over their rivals to have more success -- and oft fail. The reason why there is such a big potentially gap between the Howards and the Peps on FM tends to be that on FM's pitches there is spaces to exploit, systematically exploit on every spell of possession of a season, that would never exist in modern football, for a start. That's also the reason why top teams when managed by AI can be so consistently shaky -- and why human players can consistently, every single season, outperform all player ability to HUGE degrees (which doesn't happen in footie anywhere). Human players tend to be aware of these spaces (or hit upon them by random chance and trial and error testing). AI never is.

WORD though that in the current state of ME, the gap between Howard and Pep could be huge, no less as player quality can be drawn this comparably "redundant" -- and with it the transfer markets and player development modules from the off, essentially two thirds+ of the game in itself. Corrections needed to change this are easier mused about than put into the game, naturally, though. :D As a final thought: The game may in some form always be set up in such a way that unlike in real sports, the manager can have a significant edge over opponents. If that weren't the case, it may bust one of FM's key selling points right there. Which is giving us thousands of wannabe heroes an opportunity to show how useless that real manager really is -- and that indeed, unlike us, he should never have showed up. :D

33 minutes ago, toby14 said:

Love the game, but I am finding it very easy. 

Discovered the 4-2-4 wide formation is amazing and effective regardless of who I managed. 

Currently Arsenal manager (where I was able to sign Hazard £88m and Kante £75m) and so far I have won my first 8 league games including a 0-3 win at the champions City and beating Spurs and Chelsea away. 

It is quite easy, especially with what seems like a loop hole system of 424 wide.  

Just curious, which transfer window did you sign Hazard and Kante. Seems unrealistic that they would go to Arsenal from Chelsea unless your Arsenal side has dominated over a few seasons

17 minutes ago, lex311085 said:

Just curious, which transfer window did you sign Hazard and Kante. Seems unrealistic that they would go to Arsenal from Chelsea unless your Arsenal side has dominated over a few seasons

First summer mate. Very unrealistic. 

I too find a bit too easy... Wont give all details of my season as its same as others. 

The counter arguments are annoyingly stupid "be a smaller team" "dont use preset tactic". 

Im comparing fm19 to previous editions.... I dont want to play as 'podunk town', certainly not during beta. And i use custom tactic (tho got to xmas in a city save playing a minor tweak on preset vertical tiki and won every game)

Ive won every trophy with utd first season... I lost away to arsenal 2-1 in second leg of carabao cup final, playing my kids as i won the first leg 5-1.

I lost to barcelona in group of cl, playing b team as id already qualified.

I lost first game of season 1-0 away to liverpool.. Made 1 tweak to tactic after and won 35/37 of the rest of the games with away draws to chelsea and newc. 

This was not as simple using top teams in fm 18. 

I use a custom 442 with very simple instructions. 

Yes im a big team, yes i made my profile top class... But these are consistent variables to fm 18...comparing like for like it feels too easy. 

This is Bremen (me, predicted to finish 12th) vs Wolfsburg (predicted to finish 7th) in the 7th game of my first Bundesliga season. As you can see, they had 0 shots on target, 0 shots off target, 0 blocked, 0 woodwork, 0 half chances, 0 clear cut chances and 0 long shots. They had 41% possession and 490 attempted passes in total, so it's not like I just kept the ball for the 90 minutes. They had a red card but that was in the 71st minute. Something is making teams overpowered very quickly after starting the season. Too easy?? Very much so in my opinion.

Bremen_Wolfsburg.thumb.png.2b30c7a698424bcfb1d42632ead4be6c.png

14 hours ago, Terry1973 said:

Too easy 

look at my port vale results playing with the same 532 tactic every game.

Also, When I’m winning 2-0 often get feedback that the opposition has changed to a more cautious approach.  

Just because they've switched to Cautious, doesn't mean they're going to sit back & do nothing. They switched mentality & are most likely trying to counter rather than try & throw everything at you from the off because they know you're playing on attack

I honestly don't think it's too easy. Yeah, it's easy going to a big club with cash & giving yourself a high reputation & top level couching badges. That's FM "easy mode"

The team & player instructions are all there from FM18 & previous, I don't think much has changed just the way the & templates & tactics are now, they've have become much more user friendly  to put together a coherent tactic. 

Starting at a Lower league team with no badges & no rep is gonna be a lot more difficult  

Okay, so has anyone come up why it's too easy?

Incompetent AI managers? The new tactic system has turned them into tactical turnips?

The Match Engine? Is something overpowered in there? I know it's the same for both teams but are us users using something the AI's not?

From what I've read on here, not a lot has changed between the FM 18 & 19 in those regards

17 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Incompetent AI managers? The new tactic system has turned them into tactical turnips?

The Match Engine? Is something overpowered in there? I know it's the same for both teams but are us users using something the AI's not?

From what I've read on here, not a lot has changed between the FM 18 & 19 in those regards

If you see my screenshot above, I have done nothing extra-ordinary (no cheats or exploits whatsoever, never download them). Just my own very simple balanced 5-3-1-1 system against a superior opponent. May be training effect is overpowered? May be AI just can't handle the high intensity pressing?

Got this feeling as well

Last year it was a bit of a "struggle" to find a proper tactic able to be quite balanced in both phases

For FM 19, my team is suited for a 4-2-3-1 set up, like IRL, picked up a pre set formation with gegen pressing

Played all my friendlies my self, and made a really few tweaks in players instructions/roles and it seems to me to be quite plug and play tbh, results are really good

Never get this impression before

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yes, because it's now become this version's 'buzz issue' - You know, the one where a couple of people post about something, then overnight it snowballs into something monstrous and exaggerated, 

Like the 'three strikers' thing in FM18

Like the 'crossing thing' in FM17

Like the 'strikers can't finish' thing in FM16

etc, etc etc

This is good example of it being a bit easy. Several bugs in one game too... @Dagenham_Dave

HT match stats - shows I missed 3 pens in first half (odd to get 3 pens in one half, odd to miss all of them) 

1814341404_htstatsshow3pens.thumb.PNG.61557aaae742188e7d16844afccb1eea.PNG

Timeline in first half only shows 2 pens (bug)

165778308_timelinemissingpen.thumb.PNG.dadf8d20d27f2f0df0ce8610d659a639.PNG

Later after an injury the timeline disappears altogether and some of my options are greyed out (bug)

1079363285_timebardisappeared.thumb.PNG.eaaea3b9ae972809a49032aa2b6b495c.PNG

FT match stats - Spurs managed just 2 shots on goal with 61% possession... im playing 442 on attacking mentality, the door is wide open for them. Especially as I was down to 10 men in the 64th minute having made 3 subs and getting an injury, I was down to 9 men with 3 mins of injury time left and Spurs 'went more cautious' and didn't have a single attack in the last 3 mins. 

I on the other hand mustered 15 shots on target

1792432816_ftmatchstats.thumb.PNG.30c89907b3c3e2f9774d6d18a1f135ee.PNG

With a spare man on the pitch for from 64th min, these are the shots Spurs managed

1470105509_3shotswhenlosingandhaveextraplayer.thumb.PNG.542eb3fe307798b94c36552c4071e40e.PNG

IRL they would go to overload and be really pushing, they never went to a top heavy formation, they decreased their mentality!! 

Far too easy, this should be a rival giving me a tough game, especially when I miss 3 pens and go down to 10 (and then 9) men. 

Archived