Sports Interactive Community

I agree, i love winning every game but it feels cheap.

I have a control possession style as man utd while dropping off and regrouping and never concede goals, i know im going into the game no matter who i am playing thinking well at least ill have a clean sheet

Conceded 8 goals in 37 league games so far, 29 clean sheets and on 98 league pts with 1 game vs man city to go

in cl and fa cup final too

usually it takes many transfer windows to get to this point

2 minutes ago, Showerman said:

I agree, i love winning every game but it feels cheap.

I have a control possession style as man utd while dropping off and regrouping and never concede goals, i know im going into the game no matter who i am playing thinking well at least ill have a clean sheet

Conceded 8 goals in 37 league games so far, 29 clean sheets and on 98 league pts with 1 game vs man city to go

in cl and fa cup final too

usually it takes many transfer windows to get to this point

“bUt yOuR plAyiNg As MaN uNitEd wHat Do yOu ExPecT”........

...is the normal response from this forum.

I expect that you’d challenge for the title at best, struggle in the CL latter stages and maybe make the FA Cup semis/final... its too easy to say START IN DIVISION 27 THEN... maybe I want to play as a top team but also have a competitive challenge like in real life.

I’d genuinely love it if as Arsenal I won the league say 2/3 times out of 10, it would invigorate me even more to press on and develop my squad with the ‘its our year’ mentality.

6 minutes ago, BnadnerB said:

“bUt yOuR plAyiNg As MaN uNitEd wHat Do yOu ExPecT”........

...is the normal response from this forum.

I expect that you’d challenge for the title at best, struggle in the CL latter stages and maybe make the FA Cup semis/final... its too easy to say START IN DIVISION 27 THEN... maybe I want to play as a top team but also have a competitive challenge like in real life.

I’d genuinely love it if as Arsenal I won the league say 2/3 times out of 10, it would invigorate me even more to press on and develop my squad with the ‘its our year’ mentality.

i actually struggled in my CL group and came 2nd thought this is more like it but then spanked bayern 6-1 at home in the round of 16

/

dont usually play my long term saves with top clubs but even when i do never cleaned up so early

Edited by Showerman

I 100% agree it does people are finding it very easy when playing as a top club.

Maybe we need to see how they get on in their 2nd seasons, if the AI knows their tactics more or if it’s just as easy to replicate that success. As I know on previous versions, it used to be harder after a season of success.

8 minutes ago, BnadnerB said:

Also agree with this, don’t get enjoyment of Winning the league and champs league 4 years in a row, it’s good when the AI challenges you and takes titles off you, to give you the motivation to carry on and make a save last 7-8 seasons or so.

3 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Maybe we need to see how they get on in their 2nd seasons, if the AI knows their tactics more or if it’s just as easy to replicate that success. As I know on previous versions, it used to be harder after a season of success.

when every team plays ultra slow park the bus tactics? i don't like it, usually it's when i start new save.. 

:D

If somebody on the forums won the CL with Salford then it should be an unbelievable feat and also should also have taken 50 years, it seems like anybody within reason with patience could do it as it stands!

I don't have the beta and have to wait for the full game, but I'm anxious to know of people managing lower league sides in the beta are coasting through their games too. I hope not.

9 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I don't have the beta and have to wait for the full game, but I'm anxious to know of people managing lower league sides in the beta are coasting through their games too. I hope not.

I’m managing Pompey and even though I did win league 1, it was a challenging and hard season.

We was in a 3 way fight with Sunderland and Burton, where all 3 of us could of won it on the final day, but I won and they both lost. Was a really fun season and not that easy. Just when you think was cruising we went on a run of 4 wins from 14 games, which nearly cost us promotion.

Here’s a picture from the final day, sorry for the quality but it’s from my phone, which I took last night.

C03EE022-F05E-4601-9D6A-E454FBEE8FA6.thumb.jpeg.6388001b5b29516b2f0ef2d904c3a3a7.jpeg

I didn’t get much money for the championship so I think will be a tough season ahead.

You have to cater for every type of player which makes it difficult if not impossible on how to set the AI because you will never please everyone. If I spend a significant amount of time creating a solid tactic I don't want it to just be countered after a season of success, it can take years building the team to be exactly how you want it.

I set myself challenges to make it harder, only sign players from x country or players within a certain age range or only play this style/formation.

What you sometimes get is someone picking united, downloading the latest wonder tactic then going "oh game is too easy look at how awesome I am"

A dynamic difficulty option or a rival option that makes an AI more aggressive/astute could be interesting that kicks in upon meeting certain criteria 

29 minutes ago, Dal81 said:

What you sometimes get is someone picking united, downloading the latest wonder tactic then going "oh game is too easy look at how awesome I am"

This is true, I remember seeing someone earlier in the year, had downloaded or was using the 3 striker exploit that was on fm18 and was constantly just posting pictures of him winning every game by 5-6 goals.

Never understand the fun in that, I enjoy creating my own tactic and getting it to work and bring success.

I do same setting challenges, every year I do a Man Utd save to make them good again, which isn’t that difficult, but I don’t dominate as I make it more challenging, I will make sure bring youth through, make them a big part of my save and to keep the wage budget lower then as well, so I’m not just buying all the top players. Makes the save last longer as not always winning and get to see the rewards of your youth becoming stars. I’m particularly excited about developing mason greenwood this year.

Edited by sedge11

47 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

I’m managing Pompey and even though I did win league 1, it was a challenging and hard season.

I'm semi-glad to know that. Pompey are top of the division IRL so not the hardest challenge, but at least you haven't won every match.

29 minutes ago, Dal81 said:

You have to cater for every type of player which makes it difficult if not impossible on how to set the AI because you will never please everyone.

What I'm concerned about is that SI may have said to themselves, "The new tactics and training set ups will be tough for players to get their heads around, so we'd better not make the game too challenging" and have inadvertently over-compensated. It's not something that would be fixed by a hot patch either, so we'd be stuck with a game that's too easy all year.

Interesting one, I'm quite enjoying the challenge, started as Liverpool with Gegenpress tactic. Feel I've had a decent start W7, D4, L1 - draws were against City, Utd, Che, Ars + loss was Burnley at home which was random but that's football. What has impressed me (frustrated me) is the quality of results from other teams. City and Chelsea are 6 + 5 points ahead of me after what I considered a good start, I'd dislike if the teams around me were constantly dropping points. Although I wouldn't mind them losing some points soon!

3 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

What I'm concerned about is that SI may have said to themselves, "The new tactics and training set ups will be tough for players to get their heads around, so we'd better not make the game too challenging" and have inadvertently over-compensated. It's not something that would be fixed by a hot patch either, so we'd be stuck with a game that's too easy all year.

Or we could be enjoying the match engine or the last version of it before SI's very own "Big Blue"  shows up, and everyone begs for the old engine back. Only fully licensed and current real world managers with actual experience will be playing the game, and former internationals will be doing commentary of FM matches at regional and international levels. The world of football replaced by the mighty bot.

FM19 is very easy agreed:

-Ai tactics and managers need to be adjusted in order to have AI teams use the current strenght of the ME better

-corner exploits and set piece defending in general need to be handled

- goalkeepers could become slightly better i.m.o 

I don’t think AI even needs to be that much better, the game needs to be more random. I agree people would get annoyed at unexplained losses but try telling that to 95% of real life managers...

24 minutes ago, BnadnerB said:

I don’t think AI even needs to be that much better, the game needs to be more random. I agree people would get annoyed at unexplained losses but try telling that to 95% of real life managers...

Certain top teams are not distinctive enough in their tactics and it makes ai teams playing each other too evenly balanced. As a result we see big teams dropping way too many points which results in the game becoming too easy for us human managers.

I think that FM17 represented AI's best use of tactics. Even though my arsenal team became too good after a few seasons I remember playing Tottenham with Pochettino as a manager was really difficult. Tottenham could really control the game and put my team on the defense . Borussia Dortmund played fast attacking football, man utd was physical and defensive etc and in most seasons there was a second title contender reaching around or above 85 points.

The ME has become more professional in its representation of football this year but for some reason AI teams look and perform poorer.

Edited by Mensell76

I'm worried about the tweet Miles sent out last week. He said  (approximately I can't remember the actual figure) there was a 60% average win ratio by human managers in FM 2018. This seems quite high for a game that should have a steep learning curve.

I'm sorry to say this ... but when i play FM 19 (im managing Hamburg) .. Feels like i am unbeatable. I did not use any preset Tactics. I kind of expected it to be honest, after the Game is now available in Germany, i expected the game to be a lot easier , for all the newbies etc. But this is far from being challenging and it needs to be worked on .. Otherwise , experienced players won't play the game anymore in a few weeks . I already feel like "Oh .. another 4-0 , 3-0 victory .." and stop playing cuz there is no challenge. I hope so much you guys will do something about it.

1 hour ago, DalyBhoy said:

I'm worried about the tweet Miles sent out last week. He said  (approximately I can't remember the actual figure) there was a 60% average win ratio by human managers in FM 2018. This seems quite high for a game that should have a steep learning curve.

I expect it will be a lot higher in FM 19

I must be terrible at this years game then as I've found it harder than previous years (I've been playing the game since Championship Manager 99/00). I've been playing as Oxford and it's been a real battle so far. In last years game I got Oxford promoted as champions at the first time of asking.

This season I've played 11 league matches; winning 2, drawing 6 and losing 3. In reality Oxford have played 14; won 2, drawn 4 and lost 8. My team is harder to beat than the real Oxford, but at the same time don't really look like winning matches. Creating clear cut chances is a particular problem that I'm yet to solve.

However, the element that I've found the hardest to manage is match cohesion in dynamics. It's stayed at about the 20% in the negative since I started my save. In all honesty I don't know how to positively influence it, is it possible to? Certainly in last years game there appeared to be a decent team boost for having very good cohesion and atmosphere. I guess this is the other side of the coin.

I will have to read up and watch some youtuber video's to see where I'm going wrong. As always the beta is a learning experience for me, before kicking off a main save in the full version.

To the OP: you forgot that humans play computer games for the quick release of chemicals that make us feel good in the brain.

It's also (still) impossible to achieve 100% realism in a computer game.

2 hours ago, haffaz77 said:

I'm sorry to say this ... but when i play FM 19 (im managing Hamburg) .. Feels like i am unbeatable. I did not use any preset Tactics. I kind of expected it to be honest, after the Game is now available in Germany, i expected the game to be a lot easier , for all the newbies etc. But this is far from being challenging and it needs to be worked on .. Otherwise , experienced players won't play the game anymore in a few weeks . I already feel like "Oh .. another 4-0 , 3-0 victory .." and stop playing cuz there is no challenge. I hope so much you guys will do something about it.

Goes the best team in the German 2nd tier, complains about it being easy. 

Why don't you manage the team expected to finish last rather than the one with by far the best squad in the league (apart from David Bates :lol:

Classic FM conundrum as usual.  Some find it easy, some find it hard!

35 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Just to those FM players who ask for greater difficulty.

At the end of the day FM is a game, and escapism from our real lives, and sometimes horrible jobs.

People inc. myself, want to be able to live the dream, for it to be possible to create a fantasy, to take a lowly side to the top.

Make it too realistic, and you take the dream away. Once you take the dream away, most of us will stop playing - I know I would.

Forget the game.. Go take candy from a baby and experience the joy of domination with no chance of losing!

I’m top of the Bundesliga in my 2nd season with Hamburg with 10 games to go. Leverkusen 2nd but they’re struggling with fixture congestion. I’ve got Foden & Dani Cabellos on loan and signed very well elsewhere, might sound like the game is easy but my side even in 2nd tier was much better than some Bundesliga sides.

Edited by CGibbo89

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

Goes the best team in the German 2nd tier, complains about it being easy. 

Why don't you manage the team expected to finish last rather than the one with by far the best squad in the league (apart from David Bates :lol:

Really ? It's not about that .. I've beaten Bremen (Bundesliga)  2-0 in the Cup. I had 14-0 shots  ... 0 Shots ?? And that happened a lot . 

vor 46 Minuten schrieb haffaz77:

Really ? It's not about that .. I've beaten Bremen (Bundesliga)  2-0 in the Cup. I had 14-0 shots  ... 0 Shots ?? And that happened a lot . 

I also get this in my save with CDP Junior in Columbia. Not the top team, but one of the better. In the first 11 games I only conceded 1 goal! The opponent has normally onyl 1-2 shots on goal. Maybe it‘s a product of gegenpressing which works too well and keeps the opponent far away from the own goal?

8 hours ago, FrazT said:

Classic FM conundrum as usual.  Some find it easy, some find it hard!

Yes, but based on the feedbacks so far, it's roughly 80%-20% in favor of being easy.

I think gengenpressing, vertical tiki-taka, fluid counter and control possession seem overpowered so far. Genegenpressing easily the most overpowered. In real world, apart from Liverpool, Man City and handful of other teams, who pulls off gengenpressing to the devastating effect consistently? In FM 19 so far, anyone can press like Liverpool which shouldn't be the case.

Edited by pats

35 minutes ago, pats said:

I think gengenpressing, vertical tiki-taka, fluid counter and control possession seem overpowered so far. Genegenpressing easily the most overpowered. In real world, apart from Liverpool, Man City and handful of other teams, who pulls off gengenpressing to the devastating effect consistently? In FM 19 so far, anyone can press like Liverpool which shouldn't be the case.

Can teams sustain it for an entire season though? After half a season players get tired and you starting seeing more injuries etc. You need a big squad full of quality players to pull off gegenpress for the long term.

Edited by Weller1980

1 hour ago, pats said:

i might be wrong but isn't modern football all about quick tempo, transitions and chasing the opposition? once a team scores it changes approach to something like control possession.  but then it's the other team that needs to gegenpress.

Maybe it will be good to have some kind of a hardcore mode for the most experienced users. That could be easily realized by raising by +1 all ai players stats (whitout showing it). Civilization is an example of a game that uses this method for rising difficulty

I'm glad this post was started because I was thinking the same myself but thought maybe I've just been lucky.  I've picked Dortmund, as prefer a bigger team for the BETA and I'm unbeaten in the Bundesliga. I even beat Bayern Munich 5-0 which was amazing.  I'm using the Gegenpress with very little tweaks (i.e Roll out to defenders) and my Assistant takes care of training so I'm pretty much just selecting the side with some rotation for those who need to rest. and clicking through the continue button and find myself unbeaten in the league.  The two losses this season was against Barcelona in the Champions League.

Of course, I love winning, (and this version of the game is flowing really well etc,) but I was wondering if it was just too easy this time around?  I used to struggle with previous versions.  Also - I watch a few YouTube streamers. Go check them out and you'll see for those managing Man United, Chelsea etc..they're on lengthy unbeaten runs as well which is why a little alarm bell was going off and made me think "hhmmm...seems easy for them as well?" 

hey maybe I'm some kind of managerial guru though and this is the reason for this unbeaten run in the league for the first half of the year - Although as I say just use the standard tactics with little to no tweaking :-) 

I'll see where I end up at the end of the season and also as someone suggested let's see how the 2nd season goes.

I haven't tried LLM though so I reserve judgment on this. I will be doing that when the full game comes out.  Here are my results so far without any real tweaking or training adjustments: 

Easy.jpg

Unbeaten.jpg

Game being easy for big teams is very much expected but too many people are going on unbeaten runs with big teams. We have seen several examples of that kind now. That just can't be right.

3 hours ago, pats said:

Right, and it's more than that. Those top-class managers, Pep and Jurgen each took a full season to impress their tactics on their squads. Nobodies like us, even with our 'badges', shouldn't take any club and get our tactics to gel so fast.

I hope SI take these repeated testimonies seriously because for me this is tantamount to a gamebreaker.

Hi , 

I won my first game 7-1 with the red star in french league 2 , previous to be 18 th at the end of the season ... i hope they will fix the difficulty . 

2 hours ago, Dimitri_87 said:

Maybe it will be good to have some kind of a hardcore mode for the most experienced users. That could be easily realized by raising by +1 all ai players stats (whitout showing it). Civilization is an example of a game that uses this method for rising difficulty

It is not a solution. It has little to do with player attributes, but more how AI managers use their player in their tactics and cope against user.

35 minutes ago, saihtam said:

It is not a solution. It has little to do with player attributes, but more how AI managers use their player in their tactics and cope against user.

Yes but such increment (or other bonus for AI) can mitigate a lot human superiority, as i said this solution is adopted by one of the most appreciated games for every difficulty level and most important is 0 cost. Other Ai tweeks will be always welcome of course but i think that this could be one interesting solution for hardcore gamers considering that when you play 1000+ hours every game become easy..