Sports Interactive Community
rlipscombe

FM19 All_European (Less England) Challenge

escudo-home.png

Spanish Second Divsion B1 2019/20

Mid Season Update: January 5th 2019

Fixtures

Date Opposition H/A Result Goalscorers Att.
03.11.19 Arandina A 2-1 J.Gaspar (5), C.Carrasco (34) 909
10.11.19 Coruña B H 3-0 Robert (pen 26), S.Gassama (48,80) 588
17.11.19 G. Torrelavega A 3-3 Rodri (15), Y.Yalike (53),Robert (70) 4555
24.11.19 Guijuelo H 2-3 S.Gassama (24,45+2) 597
01.12.19 Vigo B A 0-3   959
08.12.19 Coruxzo A 0-3   1411
15.12.19 Somozas H 1-1 Robert (52) 567
22.12.19 Burgos A 1-2 Rodri (14) 3304
05.01.20 Extremadura A 2-0 D.Gordo (69), Robert (83) 925

That period of games didn't go as well as the last lot, have had some trouble, and the senior players got annoyed at me as well. Hoping to turn around our abysmyl run in the new year. The 3-3 draw was a problematic one, and feel like that was where it started to fall apart, I know the team is better than that, hopefully the final game vs Extremadura will be the start of a turn around. (Note: We haven't played R.Santader yet, we play them for the first time next week.

Players

Transfers In
Date Player Pos From Fee
18.11.19 Ander Dulce MC Free €0
18.11.19 Xabier Cárdenas MC Free €0
30.11.19 Lander AML Free €0
04.01.20 Julen Arellano DL Tudelano €0
04.01.20 Diego Gordo DM Logroñés €13,000

Midseason additions were made, mostly in an attempt to fix some of our midfield issues, a few youngsters for back-ups in the middle, and a new left winger who could do a better job. One thing that is rough in Spain is that you can only register 22 total players, only 16 of those can be over 23 at the middle of the season. Further replacements need to be under 19. I have 21 players in my squad who will not be able to feature at all, will be something to keep in control in future seasons.

Diego Gordo, Arellano & Lander went straight into the team for the Extremadura game, I felt like all three were great additions, but Gordo really stood out, not only did he score a goal, but he also managed to control the play at the back. Looking forward to see some of these players get more time in the side.

Player of the Quarter: Sekou Gassama (STC): He played 7 games for 4 goals, and 3 assists.

The League

League.thumb.PNG.a2b0e4b1676bd6c6e7c6627b4fc4dbf0.PNG

We have slipped to tenth, not really in the Promotion or relegation hunt. Playoffs are 7pts away, and the relegation spots are 10pts away. Hoping to have some better runs in the second half, but will take a considered effort.

Nice to see someone take on the challenge with Widzew Lodz. Good luck! 

Over in Portugal we're into the third round of the Taca de Portugal where we welcome BENFICA to the fringes of Lisbon. Very much looking forward to this one! 

Looks like you're going nicely LLR, despite the slight drop off in the middle part of the season. At least you're pretty comfortable and not having to worry about relegation. All about ingratiating the new guys you've signed and then doing as well as you can in the final third of the season. Good luck

@Biscotti - Good luck with Widzew Lodz.  I am quite a fan of European football and they're a name i recognise.  I love taking a club back to where they were prior to struggles etc so i will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Edited by rlipscombe

Got battered 5-0 by Benfica but made £100k from gate receipts as it was moved to the national stadium. So we're sorted financially for the season now :)

Hoping you fine folks might be able to help me out a bit. My favorite save every year is Fjarøabyggø in Iceland which originally started from this challenge. I'll be going back there for sure but just looking for something different for a change.

I like building up a very poor league (see Iceland). However I'm looking for a league that by the time I reach champions league group stages and build my club up well, I can still have some homegrown players. The one thing I don't like about Iceland is by the time you can complete the challenge your team is all foreign.

So if anyone can suggest a very small league but a nation that is capable of producing some cracking regens, I'll be all ears.

I've tried Belgium and Switzerland but those leagues are too big for me. They have teams in champions league group stages fairly often.

Cheers :thup:

4 hours ago, Balahara said:

Czech Republic produce some fantastic newgens, that would be my suggestion.

I wouldn't have thought they would produce good players. Thanks! 

Does anyone know where I can download the kits for the Portuguese third tier? Seeing a lot of links for Liga NOS and the Liga Ledman but not the step below :( 

All help gratefully received. 

I'll have an Alta de Lisboa update for you later today hopefully. First season nearly complete. 

Alta De Lisboa 2019-20 Season Review - Campeonato de Portugal Serie D

Media Prediction: 9th| Final position: 4th

e2307c0827346f0338e223896c60ecda.png

I said at the beginning of the season that I felt we had the players to stay clear of relegation and maybe push towards the promotion places and I was mostly right. We didn't quite make it in the end, owing to a terrible 2-1 loss at home in the run in against also-rans of X. That meant we had to settle for 4th, way ahead of our media prediction of X but not enough to make the promotion playoffs. 

In the Taca de Portugal we reached the third round, losing heavily to Benfica.

Star Men - Squad 1 | Squad 2

Andrey Yago (D/WBL) - Had a very strong season as an attacking wing-back, though only claimed four assists.

Nilton Varela (DLC) - Joined towards the end of the season and shored up the defence. Went on a run of six games without conceding once he joined. 

Pedro Ganches (DLC) - The other half of a great defensive spine. Also left-footed but captain on top of that, getting a promotion midway through the campaign. 

Cuca (DM/MC) - The value of two-footed CMs in a two-man system can't be over overstated. Scored a couple of long-range bangers as well.

Henrique Leca (DM/MC) - Vice-captain led by example. Tailed away form-wise from February frustratingly. 

Patrick Igwe (AMRL) - Pace and power. Had to use him on the left a few times but scored and assisted well all year. 

Sebastien (AMRL/ST) - We were short on options up front for a lot of the season but the experienced Sebastien did all he could to get amongst the goals. 

afe7a236aae1f7f0e0f898342b99651e.png

Youth Prospects

Goncalo Neves (DM/MLC) - at the club from the beginning and although not good enough to start just yet, he's getting decent experience and is highly rated.

Antonio Rodrigues (AMRL/ST) - bought during the season and gave me a good sub option. Scored some goals too. 

Transfer History

1b6ead535d1f13666d6afbce77cb7242.png

71f307fdb20aa390bbc55dbaa317830f.png

So yeah, we signed a LOT of players. I let my Director of Football make signings too (which I still have to confirm so as to stay in the bounds of the rules in here) and it did lead me to taking a punt on a lot of semi-scouted youngsters. They've mostly turned out to be average, annoyingly and I doubt I've ever had an FM season in which I've signed so many players. Shame on me. That said, I've built a good core here now and with a bit more patience and planning I should be able to put together a very handy team for next year.

Finances

That has meant even with the £100k we received for playing Benfica in the cup, we end the season in a pretty big hole financially. I'm going to make this my focus next season and ensure we get back on track with the accountants.

3f733bfde4938c3a949fdae6c964ffc2.png

It's dawned on me how tough it is to get out of this division. Not only do we need to finish top two in a 34-game season, we then need to beat two other sides in the playoffs. It might take me longer than I hoped but I'm enjoying the challenge and the variety of cheap players you can convince to join your club. 

Manager Profile - acquired my national B license over the course of the season :)

Manager Info

Club Profile

Club Info

Think that's everything. Onto season two!

Edited by iacovone

Couple of quick updates as I roll into season two:

1) we received £450k over the summer so financially we're sorted

2) the draw for the four groups in the third tier and we've been really unlucky, drawing Benfica B and Academica B. Given only the top two go into the playoffs, we're going to have to finish above one of them to even get a shot at promotion. 

Grrrr.

Image result for widzew lodz badge
Adam Hanley | RTS Widzew Łódź | Poland | Season 1 (2019/20)

Preseason expectations had us aiming for upper-mid-table. The squad looked pretty capable of achieving that although I didn't think a promotion push was likely to be on the cards. On the other hand, there was no shortage of money at the club, with ~£2mil in the bank a £1mil transfer budget. Unfortunately though, it's quite difficult to spend that kind of money (on worthwhile players) when you're in the Polish first division.

Transfers

We kicked off out of the gates pretty well, but the honeymoon soon ended and a few of the established players got their knickers in a twist over various things. It wasn't until the February transfer window (!) that we were able to clear out a couple of the troublemakers and settle the team into a style that was working for us. Finishing the season strongly helped us finish in a very respectable 5th place, and well positioned to make a push for those promotion spots with a couple of key signings over the summer.

Competitions | Position History

The key players for me were both youngsters. Marcel Piezcek acting in a ball-winning role and Michael Ameyaw who was our primary playmaker. They weren't especially spectacular, but the rest of the team were even less so, and as they're both young they are definitely players I'm looking to build around moving into next year.

Your pronunciation test for this season: Jakub Wawrzyniak.

How in depth are people going with training and mentoring? I started off doing it myself but don't think it's massively worth it until we turn pro and have more than six sessions a week. But maybe I'm just being lazy. Keen to hear about people's experiences of training so far.

1 hour ago, iacovone said:

How in depth are people going with training and mentoring? I started off doing it myself but don't think it's massively worth it until we turn pro and have more than six sessions a week. But maybe I'm just being lazy. Keen to hear about people's experiences of training so far.

We're full time at Widzew, but I've honestly been leaving it to my assistant and just making minor adjustments on occasion. I think that's still suitably realistic because I know for a fact there are plenty of RL managers who don't get too involved on the training pitch.

As for mentoring, I'm still trying to get to grips with how it actually works now, so I'm mostly just using my assistants recommended groups. Once I get a handle on it I'll start doing it myself.

9 hours ago, fabreth said:

@Biscotti And in all this... LKS got promoted :lol:

Shush you! I was hoping nobody would notice. It's fine though - we'll pass them as they come back down at the end of this season :cool:

Amansio Canhembe is my main signing of the summer and should give the midfield an extra level of guile. Whether he can do enough defensively in a two-man midfield remains to be seen but I'm hopeful. 

In outgoings, 17-year-old Antonio Rodrigues left us for Boavista for a small fee and a 50% sell on. We've also got him back on loan for the season. He's nowhere near the finished product so I'm pretty annoyed we lost him tbh. Good deal though. 

9 hours ago, iacovone said:

Amansio Canhembe is my main signing of the summer and should give the midfield an extra level of guile. Whether he can do enough defensively in a two-man midfield remains to be seen but I'm hopeful. 

In outgoings, 17-year-old Antonio Rodrigues left us for Boavista for a small fee and a 50% sell on. We've also got him back on loan for the season. He's nowhere near the finished product so I'm pretty annoyed we lost him tbh. Good deal though. 

he looks a decent player for that level and with some room to develop too.  Shame you lost Rodrigues but hopefully you get some good money from the sell-on clause.

Cranking up the new game now. Holidaying in Italy. Let's see what the promotion gods throw me...

Good to see you back PRDH.  I am also looking forward to seeing who you are going to be, particularly as i am also in Italy....

Going with fairly minimal updates during my seasons but just to let you know we're two points off 2nd (Benfica B has run away with the league surprise surprise) and we face 2nd in our next game. Four matches to go so you'd think if we beat them we'll be able to cling onto 2nd and make the promotion playoffs. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Won 3-1 but we have Benfica B away next ffs. Lost this one 2-0 at home earlier in the campaign. Going to the wire!

Edited by iacovone

Alta De Lisboa 2020-21 Season Review - Campeonato de Portugal Serie C

Media Prediction: 7th| Final position: 2nd

c8fe2a5a1ea3bc90bfcd3166714ab974.png

Much improved season on last year's 4th-place finish and that mostly came from a tactical switch to an asymmetrical 4-4-1-1 that's working nicely. our two best players came in on loan and played a huge part, especially the forward Iacovelli. Unfortunately we lost the quarter final of the promotion playoff to Lusitania 2-1 on aggregate. The 2-0 loss in the second leg really stung, particularly as the goal was a free-kick straight at the keeper. Lusitania ended up clinching promotion, so at least we lost to the best. 

In the Taca de Portugal we reached the third round again, this time losing 1-0 at home to top-flight Maritimo.

Star Men - Squad 1 | Squad 2

Iacovelli (ST) - 26 goals in 31 games says it all. He was deadly, equalled the single season third-tier record and won player of the year across the four divisions. Only on loan though and we won't be able to bring him back sadly. Unsurprisingly he was heavily recognised by the fans too.

Tiago Bicho (M/AMC) - another loanee and a special talent. Absolutely ran things as the AP in the hole and collected a good number of goals and assists. Will be hard to replace.

Nilton Varela (DLC) -  had to fend off some bids for him in the pre-season but he got his head down and had a great season. Will be tough to keep hold of him again. 

Andrey Yago (D/WBL) - such a talented wing-back at this level and almost ever-present. A mainstay.

Pedro Ganches (DLC) - also had to field a lot of bids for him and I did promise him promotion. He seems happy enough right now though so fingers crossed I can keep the spine together.

fc1d84a24636df863fbad6be03f6757a.png

The tactics changed mid-season but the XI was mostly the same.

Youth Prospects

Afonso Rodrigues (MC/AMLC) - the best of the intake and actually could be very handy should those 7-9 stats move into double figures. He's versatile too, which I like. 

Miguel Silva (AMC/ST) - he's been with us for a year now after coming through the academy in my first intake and I think he'll get games next year. One to keep an eye on. 

Transfer History

7c9c66d1e226490132bb562eccc19d24.png

Definitely calmed the transfers down this year as I look to build more of a core at the club. Iacovelli was the main signing on loan but Rai Raimundo and Hugo Santos were very good bits of business.

Finances

57f9abf899fb6a5ef75f61018d89ff22.png

This was taken just after the competition prize money dropped into the accounts, putting us back in the black. A figure of this size will see us through about 80% of the season with our current wage bill so we're just about balancing the books for now. Pleased to not have that looming over us anyway.  

Manager Profile 

Manager History

Club Profile

Club Info

f4b8940f893d8e9163dad927a7132659.png

Edited by iacovone

The four divisions of the third tier have been drawn for the new season and not only do we have Benfica B again, we also have Real who came 3rd last season as well as Benfica CB, who have just been relegated from the second flight. Fully expect this season to be our toughest yet so I'll need to make some quality signings on that front in the summer. Will drop them into this post as and when they're made. :)

Rodrigo Parreira (AMRL) - my new right winger. Can cover on the left if needs be but has impressive attributes for this standard. Should do well. 

Serginho (DM/MC) - we lacked a bit of depth in central midfield last year so this was a priority. He's athletic, works hard and can see a pass. Ideal for that engine room role. 

Edited by iacovone

10 hours ago, iacovone said:

Not entirely sure why my screenshots look so tiny. If anyone has any tips, do let me know!

They can be clicked on to be zoomed, don't worry :thup:

Not a terrible start but we'll need to improve if we're to make the top two again this season. 

c5fada0c3e7df084c79040361e41fa09.png

We so nearly clung on against Benfica B by the way. Reduced to 10 men 5 minutes in but grabbed the first goal. Conceded twice in the last 10 minutes :( 

So I've decided to put this on hold for a bit and try a file in Italy. Much as I like Portugal I've had a real desire to fire up a new file now that I've got more experience of the lower leagues. Will update when I've picked a team and done my holidaying. 

de8b08aabd35ad92cf2183614927c4f3.png

Back where it all began, where my username came from, back at the Erasmo Iacovone!

(full update to come in due course) 

200px-Taranto_F.C._1927_logo.svg.png

Beginnings - Taranto FC - Serie C/C

Domestic League History

My Profile

Club Overview

So I'm starting up again and as you'll have seen it's a return to a favourite of mine. I think it was maybe 10 years ago that I had a Taranto file that ran until the 2020s (long file back then!) and I loved every minute of it. I think in the end the file got corrupted so I never won any major trophies, though we did establish ourselves in Serie A and brought through a couple of great Italian talents - Ciro Brunetti (the next Totti) for one. 

But as great as the file was, it always felt like I had unfinished business, so I'm back at the 30,000 Erasmo Iacovone stadium ready to do business. We're in the third tier and I'll be updating you as I go along. Transfers and tactics update will be the first, probably tomorrow. 

good to see you back at the Erasmo Iacovone, Iacovone!  Looking forward to seeing if you can progress further than Serie A football this time.  Also provides me with a yardstick for my Italian save...

8 minutes ago, rlipscombe said:

good to see you back at the Erasmo Iacovone, Iacovone!  Looking forward to seeing if you can progress further than Serie A football this time.  Also provides me with a yardstick for my Italian save...

And you can't say fairer than that!

How's everyone getting on? 

After a wobbly start at Taranto we've gone on a great run of four wins and a loss to push us up the table. There's only about four places in Serie C that don't get in the playoffs or relegation spots so by maintaining this form we'll make the promotion playoffs. Think we're a long way off the quality needed to go up but I'm enjoying it so far. The 3-5-2 I'm playing is gradually coming together too. Will post some screenshots later. 

6 hours ago, iacovone said:

After a wobbly start at Taranto we've gone on a great run of four wins and a loss to push us up the table. There's only about four places in Serie C that don't get in the playoffs or relegation spots so by maintaining this form we'll make the promotion playoffs. Think we're a long way off the quality needed to go up but I'm enjoying it so far. The 3-5-2 I'm playing is gradually coming together too. Will post some screenshots later.

I have just finished my second season at Widzew. Should be putting my report up later this evening. Took a little longer than intended because I jumped into the Susie on Tour round for the month.

Nice work, looking forward to seeing your progress @Biscotti!

Here's the majority of our results this season. We're currently sat in 11th. Not sure I've ever lost so many home games in a row! Thank goodness we turned it around, with the 1-0 win at rivals Catania, a particular highlight.

17747aa4465691577481ea97e6bf44e8.png

9d65f8a45bd3133c47a87d049bfde8ad.png

Just spent my entire budget on this guy as soon as the January window opened. Have to say I'm delighted. He's got huge potential and we're lacking a main striker really. This came from a recommendation from my DoF. 100% recommend asking them for transfer recommendations. Hadn't used that function before but he gave me five very good options. Hoping for big things here.

Image result for widzew lodz badge

Adam Hanley | RTS Widzew Łódź | Poland | Season 2 (2020/21)

This time around the media had us up toward the pointy end of the table, but not actually expecting us to go up. Personally, I was really looking to be in the promotion picture - Really want to capitalise on our good financial position with a quick promotion.

Transfers

I've only included the transfers that were for money, as there were a ton of free agents who came in as reserves/ones for the future. There were some loans in as well, but the most games any of them played was just one, so they weren't exactly important.

A very shaky first three games saw me wondering if perhaps I'd been a little ambitious, but we then went 13 unbeaten in the league in order to bring ourselves back into contention. We threw away points left and right, but so did everyone around us, resulting in quite a tight promotion race. With 4 games to go, there were still at least 6 teams that could make it into the 2 promotion spots. We were sat in first at that point, but I knew it was far from a done deal. Beating promotion rivals GKS Katowice on TV at their place was a huge factor in our ability to secure both promotion and the league win. More importantly (perhaps), was that ŁKS Łodz were indeed relegated as bottom of the Ekstraklasa, so we shall pass them on our way up.

A cup exit in the first round to Ekstrakalsa side Wisła Kraków was no disgrace, but I think it's time to start making some progress there.

Competitions | Position History

Goalkeeper Kacper Chorazka, Wing-Back Tomasz Nawotka and Central Midfielder Mateusz Czyzycki (any guesses on pronunciation?!) were key figures for our season, but once again I don't know that we've got any proper superstars in our ranks.

Edited by Biscotti

10 hours ago, iacovone said:

Slowly been working through pre-season and in the early part of the season.  Struggling to score goals but tight at the back.  My games aren't thrillers so far!!

200px-Taranto_F.C._1927_logo.svg.png

Season 1 (2019/20) | Serie C2/C

Squad | Best XI | Transfers | Results 1 | Results 2

End of Season Awards | Finances

Average Att: 2,944

After a solid enough start we slipped into a real slump forcing me to change our approach completely. Out went our possession-first style and in came a slow tempo, attacking free-form effort. We reaped the rewards immediately, shot up the table and ended up 7th, qualifying for the playoffs. Despite easing past Virtus Francavilla 3-2 in the first round, our 2-2 draw away at Carrarrese saw us dumped out on the nonsense higher seed rule. Still, a strong start to this career and gives me much to work with in season two.

I'll be massively trimming the squad in the summer. We have about 50 players in the U20s and U18s alone and a horde of loanees in the squad so I'll be aiming to reduce that to make the squad much more manageable and less of a blight on our finances. Though our bank balance looks worrying, new commercial deals and TV rights will see us back into the black and on firmer footing. I'll be scouring the market for castoffs and loans again though. 

Simone Bastoni (DM/MLC) - brought in on loan and delivered the goods from midfield. Our player of the season and signing on a free in the summer.

Daniele Sarzi (D/WBL) - a rare purchase over the course of the season and did very well in the attacking wing-back position. Rated a decent Serie B player.

Giuseppe Cammarata (ST) - the prospect. Scored a few but could have had many more. His pace gets him a lot of chances. High hopes.

ce99deff40c2b3216a4765168bd62f46.png

Bit of a surprise! Manager of the year :). 

Image result for bari fc

S. S. C. Bari

Italian Serie C  -  Season 2019-20

An Introduction

So given i am nearly in December it seemed only right that i introduced my first (and hopefully only) foray into this challenge for FM19.  Bari meet my tried and tested criteria of trying to restore a former top division team back to the top of their domestic league and once more this will be my aim.  The club has been re-formed a few times in the last twenty years and has recently been bought by controversial chairman of Napoli, Aurelio De Laurentiis.  He previously re-formed and got Napoli back to the to pof Italian football and this is his aim too with Napoli.

Image result for Stadio San Nicola

facilities-wise we are ready for playing in Serie A - player wise i am not so sure as yet....  

Hey guys - I have decided to jump in on this again and have started in the Czech Republic.  

Will put up screenshots at some point soon.

Should be jumping into this tonight, debating between Austria, Belarus, Slovakia and Ukraine. 

Wasn't going to join, but I discovered that some really interesting teams have a small chance of popping up in my native Denmark, so I am currently holidaying there in hopes of getting one of the clubs that I want. Might take some attempts though.

FC Hirnyk Kryvyi Rih.png

Girnyk Kryvyi Rih - Ukraine - 2019-2020

Ended up choosing Ukraine to give this a try. Wanted a league that split into two groups and that has a limit on the number of foreigners. I also have a very specific idea of how I want to play, a catenaccio style.

This team seems perfect, has a lot of players already well suited to the roles I need. The club also has a philosophy of developing players from the youth ranks, so that will be fun. Actually has a some nice youth players I'll be happy to use as well.

The club itself traces its history back to 1925 but the immediate club was formed in 2001 by a large iron ore mining company. It got up to the First League in 2014 but had to withdraw and take a year away from competition in 2016-2017. 

My Profile

Club Profile

174476339_Loko_Vltavn_logo.gif.b5c6ffaff552c2068487e2fa0b1600cc.gif

Lokomotiva Vltavin
Czech 2nd Division

Have always enjoyed managing in the Czech Republic and I know the regens they get are pretty good, so having a go with this Prague-based team.

Squad - thin on the ground, will need to make a lot of signings

Domestic History - nearly entirely in the lower levels

Club Info