Sports Interactive Community
noikeee

[FM19] Barcelona'ing through the lower leagues III: Making love to footballs

6 hours ago, noikeee said:

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - December 2018

FxyZNS9.jpg

I tried a switch to a 4-1-3-2 (1 DM and 3 MCs). Deeper formation, so more men at the back to keep us solid. Wider defensive width with the sidemost midfielders told to press more so they can cover the wings, fullbacks told to press less so they get baited out of position less often.

To no avail. We're still conceding from the 1 or 2 crosses the opposition gets to aim at the area correctly, or even from hoofed direct balls, despite the fact we now have a "lower defensive line". And we're now worse at creating anything in attack.

I feel like a dead man walking - the sack is surely around the corner now.

QnzvgDV.jpg

Unlucky, man. :( 

At least you won't have to deal with Erkan and his... antics anymore.

I love a good journeyman save, definitively following! Oh and try not to get the P***o job, go for Sporting :D:D:D

Why do I feel so much better seeing someone else struggle starting off in a lower league...

Crazy to think is a couple of 'half decent' months and you would be 2 wins behind a play off place. 

Can you make a formation out of 'GREEN DOT' players - by that I mean players that naturally fit their best position, then build your tactics round that until you get the players for your formation?

Edited by nastymiller

Em 22/10/2018 em 08:37, Fer Fuchs Ake disse:

Unlucky, man. :( 

At least you won't have to deal with Erkan and his... antics anymore.

Em 22/10/2018 em 10:28, bigmattb28 disse:

I love a good journeyman save, definitively following! Oh and try not to get the P***o job, go for Sporting :D:D:D

Em 23/10/2018 em 07:59, SmileFaceGamer disse:

Could be worse, at least your not making love to footballs... but desperate times call for desperate measures?

Em 23/10/2018 em 09:24, nastymiller disse:

Why do I feel so much better seeing someone else struggle starting off in a lower league...

Em 23/10/2018 em 13:14, deltablue disse:

Pity you're getting off to a bad start in Turkey. 

Em 23/10/2018 em 13:26, nastymiller disse:

Crazy to think is a couple of 'half decent' months and you would be 2 wins behind a play off place. 

Can you make a formation out of 'GREEN DOT' players - by that I mean players that naturally fit their best position, then build your tactics round that until you get the players for your formation?

Em 23/10/2018 em 18:55, WillHoward42 disse:

Following :brock:

Cheers for all the comments guys, you might've noticed I disappeared for a few days, that's because I've been "training" tactics building in a couple of side throwaway saves, and waiting for the full game. I'm back now, I've decided to ditch the 4-4-2 diamond and try other stuff to salvage my job here in Turkey, but still don't feel like I'm quite ready to play like I want to, we'll see.

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - January 2019

jiqANFn.jpg 

I sold a player to Batman! I also loaned out quite a few youngsters that had complained they wanted first team football, and hired two pretty poor backup players.

Zw9X67N.jpg 
My previous 4th choice CB (who I just sold) was slower than erosion. This guy is only a tiny wee bit less slow, but every bit counts.

jEtSD3w.jpg 
An okay-but-not-great winger/IF. I need wingers as I move from a narrow tactic to a wide 4-3-3.

Ma2B3sz.jpg

A better but not particularly great month. We finally got a very overdue win, but then also a defeat and a draw. We're still 2 points below safety as it stands.

yXqz6Bx.jpg

And this is the new tactic, how it's looking now:

RzPjw13.jpg 

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - February 2019

AIFTuEm.jpg

It's tiny steps but we're moving forward and now no longer in the relegation zone! It was funny that I "needed a result in the next game" to save my job, yet that was the match we won 4-1. The trend is looking good now, but with just a 2 points gap to safety, we can't relax just yet at all.

XEaJRwL.jpg

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - Youth intake 2019

lC1oKKF.jpg 

zHkOQnv.jpg 

siKGHDQ.jpg 

pWOuMR8.jpg 

wlKPGnE.jpg 

5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

They're alright. Decent intake for this level. I like the striker, pacey, good finishing, and good personality. He's gonna be dragged down to a personality of a potato by all the other muppets at the club though.

1 hora atrás, rodesire disse:

this is looking much better!

Gets better in March. :cool:

iNfPoSe.jpg

These idiots seem to think I know what I'm doing, ha!

Now that I think about it, I should've negotiated away that club compensation clause. Not so certain I want to stay here for another full season. If a job opens up...

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - March 2019

oCi1dQP.jpg

This was looking like on course for a pretty stellar unbeaten month, until a dismal match away to Darlica Garglorglorbgl. Or whatever they're called. ****ing compact 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 variants, haven't figured out how to face them yet.

Have I told you guys about how stupid close the league table is? We're not safe yet at all. We don't have Noyan anymore (who was now our top scorer, on, erm, 6 goals). 5 matches to go. 4 points cushion over the danger zone.

KPL5ZX3.jpg 

PPxcsMo.jpg

IZQBP07.jpg

So, right about everyone can go down?

Non-scrollable news item, can't see the fixtures of my team...

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - Squeaky bum time - round 31

StekQ7p.jpg 

A 0-0 away at the league leaders playing our kryptonite 4-1-4-1 formation. I'm happy with that.

ZtxBY2Y.jpg 

3 matches to go. 5 points gap. Lots of teams in between us and the DANGER ZONE. Surely we can't **** this up.

Edited by noikeee

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - Relegation derby! - round 32

11th placed Tokatspor host 13th placed Etmiesgut Bld. Thrilling on paper. Who will win this wonderful fixture?

rr1ByPT.jpg 

Awful. Watching this match was as joyful as going to the dentist. Like something out of my "ruining football" career.

xQMoo1H.jpg 

We need 1 point....

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - This relegation battle excitement overwhelms me - round 33 of 34

Away to 6th placed Tarsus Idman Yurdu. Not an easy match on paper, but we just need one point to be safe.

Ls15r2a.jpg 

Damnit. I'm not sure how we found ourselves losing 3-0, it was a pretty even match but they just scored all their chances. We fought back at the end but it was far too late.

NFeVicp.jpg 

This meant we were taking this to the last round, or so I thought, but instead...

8KkeKj8.jpg 

Hooray! Konya Anadolu Selçukspor and Darica G. Birligi play each other on the final day, so they can't both overtake us.

There shall be much celebrating in the city of Tokat tonight.

giphy.gif 

Edited by noikeee

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - April/May 2019

WfdKKQS.jpg

Not a great end to the season, but we didn't get relegated.

9RyH9yb.jpg

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - Squad review 2018/2019

Best 11

hv0CbNO.jpg 

fazKl0q.jpg

GK - Ismail Koroglu
bG8hY6N.jpg 
When your keeper has the highest ratings in the squad, you know something has gone very wrong.

DR - Ramazan Karaca
hBtoE5F.jpg 
Awful veteran. Somehow still got 5 assists.

DC - Hasan Erbey
kjRyRTu.jpg 
A bad season from a player that on paper looks like a pretty decent CB.

DC - Berat Çetinkaya
yQBFaJA.jpg 
His partner in defence was one of the best (least bad) players in the squad.

DL - Anil Sahin
8F2SCLb.jpg 
Great in theory, in practice it was more like meh, but still got the most assists in the squad, 6.

DM - Bilal Gülden
qoEDoZv.jpg 
5 goals for a DM was pretty notable. I renewed his loan as I think he's pretty good.

MC - Etem Kaymakçi
pbN1CWj.jpg 
Ended up playing a lot more than perhaps I imagined when I hired him. Decent as mezzala in the diamond or dribbling playmaker in the current 4-3-3, could also play on the wings. 4 assists was alright.

MC - Azad Filiz
H7hJIht.jpg 
His partner in midfield is rated the best player in this squad, and did indeed have one of the best seasons out of everyone.

AMR - Berat Tosun
bkv0wsc.jpg 
I expected this pretty versatile forward to be our top scorer, which he was. I did NOT expect our top scorer to have only 6 goals. Dismal season for his abilities, that look pretty good on paper.

AML - Noyan Öz
ZmgahFu.jpg 
The least bad of the attackers. Was getting into a rhythm when he broke a leg. Joint top scorer. On 6 goals, again.

ST - Emin Soguk
QkfEVK1.jpg 
He's okay, but not any more than that. I only started playing him upfront after switching to the 4-3-3, and that's why he only got 4 goals.

Rest of the squad and 3 hottest prospects

SGDOSKZ.jpg

AMC - Samet Kutlu YP19A
2H2Ey6S.jpg 
Highest potential out of this year's intake, but with "unambitious" personality and unclear which position or role he could take in the field for me, I don't see much of a future on him.

ST - Emrullah Kizilgün YP19B 
idtwXMO.jpg
I like this kid better, there's goals in him.

AMC - Recep Türköz
ZrIiuI3.jpg 
I'm really scrambling to find a third "prospect". He's okay, but complained about lack of playing time so I loaned him out.

Career progress table

txJftFA.jpg 

Edited by noikeee

Planning the new season I want to evolve my tactic that I'm still unhappy with (despite the fact it saved us from relegation when I introduced it mid-season), and have been testing a few tips from @Mensell76 that I read in GD that I thought were excellent.

So this was how the tactic looked so far:

RPewHF1.jpg

This is how I'm going to attack the next season, two versions one more forceful against defensive sides at home, the other more cautious:

5Yl4PFz.jpg t6Xsh9F.jpg

(please notice the tactic has been mirrored, depending on the players I eventually end up with I'll decide whether to stick with this mirrored version or to mirror back)

Generally the main thing to take is this is considerably more patient, however it produces some surprisingly exciting pass-and-move football (well, when I tested it with top players). I think adding a second IF instead of a Raumdeuter was pretty essential, but also little touches such as adding "be more disciplined" instead of "be more expressive", or telling the team to "hold shape" when transitioning to attack. I think because I retained "pass into space" (contrary to Mensell's setup) this still produces some pretty venomous counter-attacks when there's an opening, it's just that the team doesn't brainlessly rush into it.

Defensively I pretty much just nicked his TIs and so far this looks a really promising fit for this formation. I'd toyed with "defend wider" before without success to try to limit the number of conceded corners, for whatever reason it didn't work, I think I was just way too aggressive in everything else so it made us open elsewhere.

Now onto hiring the right players to make it work at this level.... ;) (hopefully)

By the way I have my own set pieces on that, and a few PIs:

Regista - Shoot Less Often
BBM/S - Dribble More, Shoot Less Often, Get Further Forward
AP/A - Get Further Forward
PF/S - Pass It Shorter, Roam From Position

I'm also toying with my goalkeeping distribution settings on a match-per-match basis (for example if the opposition uses a deep formation without high-up wingers I'll distribute to my FBs who are in most space), and decide on how many players I want to stay back depending on how many men the opposition is leaving upfront, by switching the WB/S into a FB/D and eventually the Regista into a DLP/D.

Edited by noikeee

And it's gonna take forever to reach the new season.

It's early May. Last season the first official match was only in September.

Seems like Turkish footballers really like their Summer holidays, eh.

I've never, ever seen this before on any FM.

cSawDkL.jpg

10 days without absolutely anything happening. :lol:

I got time to spam the forum whilst this processes the neverending off-season. I need to buy a NASA supercomputer like the one @Makoto Nakamura has.

Shopping list for this season... two big top priorities:

• a really good rightback that could play the CWB/A role. Well, erm, to some extent. Perhaps in the Turkish 3rd tier one might have to make a few concessions here...

• a striker that can head it in. We really really missed one this season as everyone were midgets. This might be tiki-taka but once in a while a cross is put into the area and this adds goals.

Already lined up to join: a left-footed winger (to play the IF role on the right, we had zero left-footed wingers), a better keeper (though our keeper was the best player of the season), another lightweight playmaking midfielder, and possibly another passing-minded DM about to join.

1 hora atrás, abulezz disse:

Really impressive save so far, noikeee! 

I agree with you - I like the looks of Kizilgun, as well. 

Impressive? Thanks, but i barely salvaged my team out of relegation. :D 

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Impressive? Thanks, but i barely salvaged my team out of relegation. :D 

I meant more along the lines of it being a great read, lol. 

xqmzd9g.jpg

Wow, 13th favs. We were only 17th on this table last year.

CAN YOU FEEL THE PRESSURE INCREASING? THE HEAT IS ON.

On the last match of pre-season, one of our starting CBs:

hK9lDeI.jpg

Probably will be back around Christmas or so. Half the season ruined for him.

9 horas atrás, abulezz disse:

Hate when that happens - ruins everything right off the bat before you even kick a ball when it matters.  

I mean it's not an unusual situation or anything, and we have pretty much everyone else fit. So I can't really complain too much, but it's still a notable thing about the season when it's a starting 11 player, hence why I always post about longer term injuries.

We got Noyan Oz (winger/IF) returning soon from his own long term injury. Not sure he's got a place anymore as Berat Tosun will be starting on the left and the new left-footed winger on the right. Later tonight I'll show off the new signings. World class superstars, all of them. :D

Edited by noikeee

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - Pre-season 2019/2020

JM305DS.jpg 

Football bags in Tokat rejoice, Erkan has been released on a free.

A whole new 11 guys have been signed:

xUt6Ox9.jpg 
Slightly weak physicals, great technicals, quality lightweight playmaker. He was meant to be the new AP/A, but, thing is, later on I'd sign an even more extreme player in this mould with even better technicals (and even worse physicals).

F5QUYzG.jpg 
New keeper. He's legit good. Not so sure about a sweeper keeper with an acceleration of 5, but sweeper keepers barely sweep in FM anyway.

Ghs0dgI.jpg 
The new left-footed winger to play as IF on the right. I wanted a slightly better player, and I wanted 2 of them not just 1, but sadly this is what we could get so we'll have to start with him.

JU6ypAY.jpg 
An okay DM. Good passing so he can play Regista, but should be a backup.

junPAMP.jpg 
New LB on loan, he's good but I reckon Anil Sahin is still ahead of him though.

ugAcFG7.jpg 
I really like this kid on loan from Basaksehir, he's great, I think the BBM/S role should be his, though I wanted a player with better finisher.

pyH1zOF.jpg 
One of 2 new RBs on loan. He's great except for rubbish crossing, which I think is a pretty critical skill so I'm favouring the other RB for now.

BiDBA2y.jpg 
This is the other RB. Who should play.

D5x6BZu.jpg 
Late in the transfer window I FINALLY hired a striker. Perhaps we could've gotten a slightly better player, specially one with better vision/passing/decisions/work rate, but he's good in the air which I wanted as a pretty critical skill to get us goals.

tGMDIDa.jpg 
This was meant to be an alternative for striker, but unable to properly scout players, I hired him without knowing everything about him and he turned out to be a bit rubbish. Then I decided to retrain to MC, but I've got too many MCs too. So I guess he can look forward to a nice long season mostly without playing at all.

eTRtR6T.jpg 
Last minute signing, yet another advanced playmaker. AMAZING technicals. Awful physicals. I'm not so sure this will work but he's worth the gamble, even if he makes my squad a bit too big.

Me9o8qA.jpg

This is the squad (including the expected starting 11). It is, indeed, a bit too big.

yfrm538.jpg

Pre-season was pretty good. The first month didn't include a win but every single match was against teams from the divisions above - and we were hardly outclassed. The second month was against rubbish teams, we won every match. Seems pretty logical.

But I dunno, I always seem to do better in friendlies than in actual matches that count, so who knows if this will mean good results for this season.

Edited by noikeee

Sx4kZbL.jpg

What a great way to start the new season. Goddamnit.

At least this was against the strongest team in the division, they just got relegated from the level above.

Also,

dyMOZcu.jpg

I hired a player in the 1st of September (the last screenshot above in the list of signings for the pre-season, midfielder Ali Helvaci). He can't be registered until January.

FFS.

8 hours ago, noikeee said:

Sx4kZbL.jpg

What a great way to start the new season. Goddamnit.

At least this was against the strongest team in the division, they just got relegated from the level above.

Ugh, badly FMed. At least you dominated against the strongest team in the division. 

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - September 2019

Ah, the new season. An exciting new system that looked great in pre-season. Lots of great signings. A buzz around the club. This is it. This is the year things get kick-started properly.

Rv9GJYI.jpg

WWoYCPk.png?1

Oh.

It's quite simply been an atrocious start. Clearly this isn't working, but the question is.... why? I'm struggling to pinpoint what's exactly the problem. It could be:

a) Possession and pressing quite simply doesn't work with players of this level, of the limited talent I have. A logical explanation, but I'm slightly skeptical of, since we can for example pass it around at the back with little problems.

b) Turkey's own tactical trends. It seems every other team I face lines up with defensive 4-1-4-1s and nobody attacks with their FBs, leaving very little space at the back for us to explore. Possibly, but on my separate test save with Dortmund this system seemed to generally break down everything that was put against it.

c) It doesn't suit underdogs, only favourites. Possibly, but it was working for me at Dortmund even against teams like Bayern etc.

d) This could be working if it wasn't for a bit of bad luck and morale tanking at the beginning. Maybe, we did clearly dominate Eskisehirspor in the first match and lost and then this snowballed. But it can't possibly explain this many defeats.

I'm a bit lost right now and have already kind of scrapped everything and started over in a 4-2-3-1 with two DMs. This... got us a 1-0 defeat in the final league match of the month. I'm in trouble.

EzGUZrT.jpg

Well... that escalated quickly!

But it's weird, I have more or less the same setup since the beginning of my save (Feyenoord) and everything is working brilliantly. I don't know if you did it already or not, but perhaps changing the regista to something more defensive or remove the pass into space to get more control of the ball?

5 horas atrás, rodesire disse:

Eeeek

Eeek indeed.

5 horas atrás, PT-KK disse:

Well... that escalated quickly!

But it's weird, I have more or less the same setup since the beginning of my save (Feyenoord) and everything is working brilliantly. I don't know if you did it already or not, but perhaps changing the regista to something more defensive or remove the pass into space to get more control of the ball?

I doubt changing the regista would do much defensively, our base of midfield is getting entirely bypassed, we're conceding goals from hoofed balls over our defence. Well maybe it's our CBs getting baited out of position due to the DM having gone off, but dunno.

Also I briefly toyed with taking off pass into space yeah, but then we just get more sterile possession.

It feels as if in this division nobody ever risks anything, and by comitting to a style of play in which we're trying to park in the opposition's half by definition, even if we don't really overcommit ourselves that much, the chances we get are of vastly inferior quality than the chances of the sides that just hoof it long to a pacey striker, or to a winger to cross it.

I've now scrapped the plan for this season and gone to yet another tactic, 4 different tactics from scratch in less than a season and a half, the mark of a manager with a clear idea for the club. :D 

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - October 2019

r2nor88.jpg

The defeat to Sanliurfaspor and the draw with Etimesgut (geez, this league is a challenge even to spell club names) meant we obtained a new club record! A sequence of 13 matches without winning! Hooray!

Thankfully we then just casually won 4-0 away with 2 freekick goals from an inspired Noyan Öz. Wait, what? And backed that up with another win and now we're out of the relegation zone. 

QbFFMl3.jpg

The 2 wins might be a result of the new tactic I'm now using (this is plan D by now):

nqPa9uM.jpg 

To call this "Barcelona'ing" is a massive stretch, but hey we've got two playmakers... I guess. It's pretty rudimentary, it's more like counter-attack than anything else, wait for them to come at us then unleash balls forward to the AF who unlocks everything. Meanwhile the WM/A is a faux winger, winger all but in name due to the PIs I gave him (cross more, run wide with ball, dribble more) except he doesn't have "stay wider".

It's almost FM12-like, long ball to the quick man. The quick man isn't really scoring himself like in FM12 but it breaks the defence so that others can join in. At least so far this is how it's worked, let's see if this tactic can hold its own on the longer term.

AiZmbk4.png

Tokatspor - November 2019

JNldAZQ.jpg

What is this, 4 wins in a row? Woah.

The tactic is working. It's not quite the playing style I had dreamed of for this career, but it is, and it's fun. We only didn't beat Fethiyespor because a returning-from-injury Berat Çetinkaya decided elbowing a player early in the match was a fun thing to do; and against Bucaspor we were simply unlucky, better side on the pitch.

12th now and 4 points above the relegation zone.

XEiOuM5.jpg

Holy **** a job offer.

yFF4lK2.jpg

They're 3 places below us in the table, but this is a much bigger club as they've got 2.5* stars of reputation whilst we have 1.5*. That means easier to attract much better players - they're spending 3 times the wages we are.

Indeed they're so much bigger they were in the 1st tier just 2 years ago!! Got relegated back-to-back the last 2 years, and now under serious danger to get relegated again.

Edited by noikeee

bClFCDu.jpg

Damnit.

Got too greedy with the wage budget. They told me they were gonna give me 50K/month of wage budget whilst they're spending 60K. That sounded off. They're in a mountain of debt anyway.

Edited by noikeee

RpXyDmZ.jpg

Um, wow. They're dead last, but in the league above us (Spor Toto 1. Lig).

I feel sometimes the game generates job offers that are simply unrealistic so I'll reject. Too big a step up, if it was a team in the upper half of this division that would seem a realistic move, but this is a big jump. I'm not even doing that good a job anyway, we were dreadful up until a couple weeks ago.

Though this club has an identical reputation to ours (1.5* stars), I have no idea what they're doing in the league above.

jgtDYFg.jpg

Much more like it. They're 2 places below us in the league table, but they're a much bigger club, with slightly bigger reputation, just got relegated from the league above like Karabükspor had been, and are paying about 5 times more in wages than we are (though they are in serious financial trouble - likely as a result of this).

This strikes me as a realistic enticing step-up.