[FM19] Not all that glitters is gold.

_Ben_

On 08/05/2019 at 22:22, kingjericho said:

Found this thread yesterday, great job so far :thup: Beira-Mar is kind of a sad story in Portugal, they used to be regulars in the top tier, but around 2004 due to the Euros a new stadium was built in Aveiro and club lost its identity - their home stadium Mário Duarte is a timeless classic. The club returned there a couple years ago in hope to find their spark again, which was lost from the fanbase.

Thank you! I did a fair bit of reading into Beira-Mar before taking over them and I agree, they have been on somewhat of a downer of late. I will continue to follow them in real life, as I do with all of the teams that FM connects me with.

On 10/05/2019 at 15:18, Tsuru said:

You are doing a fantastic job, congratulations. Your Beira-Mar looks almost unstoppable on a league that´s very balanced on the top, specially against Porto and Benfica. Hope you can win the Europa League too.

I also played with Nacional in Portugal and did some good improvement, I like the league however it takes a lot of time to match the Big Three and I gave up. But maybe in the future I will try it again with Maritimo or a team from 2nd division.

Thank you. The top 3 have been a nightmare really - which has certainly helped longevity of the save, knowing that a slip up will see it taken away from us. Good luck with wherever you end up next in Portugal!

On 10/05/2019 at 15:47, BuryBlade said:

Found this thread today and have spent all day reading every post. Love the work you have put in and your writing is excellent @_Ben_

How have you found your youth training experiment (6 sessions a week)?

Many thanks!

Training seems to be going really well actually - the players are/seem to be developing more at an earlier age. I obviously have no comparison or anything but my gut tells me that it has no drawbacks.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 2040

2994c7cf16f2c554d92b0e0b4e925c03.png

3544f3e8036cf85fa854ee1f0193325a.png

0eb682fb5fcbac4549d00aad173a6346.png

A superb end to the season - three competitions including the Europa League, a competition that I prioritised as soon as we fell foul in the Champions League. I feel as if our team is really coming to its peak now and there are only a few weaker areas, most of which are being earmarked to be filled with youth players. I've already clicked through into next season so I will leave this short and extremely pleased with what I have achieved to date.

11 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Thank you! I did a fair bit of reading into Beira-Mar before taking over them and I agree, they have been on somewhat of a downer of late. I will continue to follow them in real life, as I do with all of the teams that FM connects me with.

Thank you. The top 3 have been a nightmare really - which has certainly helped longevity of the save, knowing that a slip up will see it taken away from us. Good luck with wherever you end up next in Portugal!

Many thanks!

Training seems to be going really well actually - the players are/seem to be developing more at an earlier age. I obviously have no comparison or anything but my gut tells me that it has no drawbacks.

Glad to hear the training seems to be working. I’ve implemented it in my save and seems to be working nicely. Expected to see more injuries in the younger players as a result but nothing noticeable so far.

On 12/05/2019 at 23:57, kidthekid said:

Congrats. Great season indeed

On 13/05/2019 at 00:19, Robson 07 said:

A master player at work.

Really pleased to see you getting some good press @_Ben_.  Should have looked this up and commented previously.  Your knowledge, depth/immersion and dedication has always been great.

41 minutes ago, john1 said:

Fantastic! :applause:

22 hours ago, Fosse said:

Alongside a Sant Andreu save a few years ago this my favourite FMCU save

Thank you all so much for the kind words! It has been a great save and, given some issues I seem to have found with the league and reputations, want it to end on a high in the next couple of seasons!

40 minutes ago, john1 said:

Brilliant statistic with the club :cool:  Did you get any job interviews from other clubs? 

Lots of times! There is the usual manager merry-go-round and I've had offers from Barca, Real, Juve, Man Utd, Man City, Bayern, PSG - the lot!

Absolutely no interest in leaving what I have built...

The end.

With a heavy heart, I am going to call an end to this save. It may be for the time being or it may be forever. Whilst I have had a magical 21 years at the helm of this, now massive, Portuguese club, there are a couple of things that are not quite right within the game-world that are making my plans somewhat harder to achieve. I am aware that I started this game on the beta and, as such, there are often a few bugs that never quite get ironed out as the game gets patched.

1. League reputation

fc36acb57dc6e939d7aca959d13eaa21.png

I love dynamic league rep and I had major plans to create a dynasty of Portuguese clubs. The only issue is that the reputations haven't changed, at all. Each nation appears to be in the same place as it was when I started the game. We have won two Europa Leagues in a row whereas the German league has floundered of late, yet there has been nothing else moved. We can't have a world famous league if we are still having clubs from the lower echelons of Ligue 1, Serie A or La Liga being able to unsettle our top players. 

2. Club reputation

cb29e947db471b5b5377d48e2498dd51.png

The above screenshot is showing a strange phenomenon. Literally ever team promoted to the top flight now comes with a worldwide reputation. This is apparent in France and in Germany, meaning that giants Juve are not way down the list - behind Nancy, Dijon, second tier winners Brest and Cologne, who just came into the Bundesliga. This probably has a knock on impact on the fact that they can unsettle my team and steal away the talent from the rest of Portugal really easily.

Elsewhere - and this is my doing - I have lost interest in the challenge of this save. Below is my U23 squad - the majority of the players are listed with an asterisk to say that I feel they have exceedingly good potential and most are rated as potentially world class by my coaches. I have to click through the seasons and I have the next 20 years sorted. I miss the days of getting the maximum out of a very poor player.

b8ad423c0a64714df451ed125abbcb42.png

The game date is 25th September 2040 and, being as I've just recapped my achievements, will be pausing the game there. Over the past week or so I have been working on what I want to do next but may come back to this save at some point as it truly has been my favourite ever save on any iteration.

2 hours ago, WillHoward42 said:

Real awesome work you have done here!

Something new on the horizon?

Love to see you do something similar from the lower leagues of England!

Thanks!

Yep - moved over to San Marino - the thread is called 'One night in Serravalle'

Saving England, probably, until FM20 where I can have time to work through five tiers before being a big side!

Archived