Sports Interactive Community
trevjim

For anyone that finds it too overwhelming or too much micromanagement, try FMT

I've seen a few posts on here and else where about how the game has become too convulted, and time consuming. Things like player interactions and press conferences questions coming in thick etc can be overwhelming.

Setting up tactics and hiring all the staff can be a bit of a chore.

It certainly became that way for me over the last few years and I felt the game lost its identity a bit.

Football manager touch is very underrated, and I feel lots of people give it a miss because they perhaps view it as a mobile game because of the touch wording.

It does a very good job at removing or at least slimming down all the micromanagement. The press and player interactions are at a good level and alot of tedious things are at a simple level of management.

The core game is still there and it uses the same Match engine etc.

On the PC version you can play unrestricted just like the full fat version.

I'm not knocking the full version, it's not for me since about 2014 but I fully respect that it appeals to the vast majority and the work put into it is impressive.

A few of my friends were starting to go off FM in recent years, just like I was, until I pointed them in the FMT direction, and now they are hooked again.

So if anyone feels they are starting to lose enjoyment, give FMT a go before you give up on the game completely.

Again, this isn't an attack on the full version, just trying to bring some attention to the touch version incase it appeals more to users, as it's not advertised much

The worst thing they did was rebrand it as 'FM Touch', for me it'll always be 'FM Classic'

I always have at least one save on the go on both versions

I completely agree, touch is by far my preferred game because of the lack of over complications and less time spent changing minor things. Definitely worth the switch, or a more relaxed save (to some extent).

Love my FMT save, I regulrly watch all the goals from my leagues weekend fixtures as I have time to rather than convince my team that a 2* midfielder should be getting more minutes than them :seagull:

I would agree with most of this, however the 1 thing that stops me from using FMT is that you cannot use an updated database (especially relevant for fm18 now when I want to use Liverpool!).

Perhaps you could also add that you can't turn off the first window transfers (not a deal breaker).

27 minutes ago, Andros said:

I would agree with most of this, however the 1 thing that stops me from using FMT is that you cannot use an updated database (especially relevant for fm18 now when I want to use Liverpool!).

Perhaps you could also add that you can't turn off the first window transfers (not a deal breaker).

If you go on to the suggestions for changes regarding the touch, the vast majority have been asking for pre game editor. I wonder why they are holding back on this, or if they will update us on the process. 

I agree though, it is a bit off putting. I want to create my own team on Touch, and really make my own scene for it - but due to no editor I can’t. The full game is to time consuming for my playing time so would be wasted on me. 

No editor either.  Club names misspelled or that horrible FC at the end... stadium names etc

Edited by prot651

I am hoping that I have not turned this into a negative thread about FMT because I agree with the OP (in fact after looking at this thread I am trying FMT again and the missing transfers are not currently a game breaking thing), however it would be great if being able to use updated databases was included at some time as I believe this would increase the amount of people using FMT.  I am somewhat tempted to use fake players (is that an option in FMT??) and fast forward a few years so that the players are all unknown.

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The worst thing they did was rebrand it as 'FM Touch', for me it'll always be 'FM Classic'

I always have at least one save on the go on both versions

I agree. It perhaps is more appropriate for the tablets, but FM classic was a much better name and I feel alienated people alot less.

It's also a shame is doesn't get any mention before release. If you go into the FM touch board, the only info we got about it was from users digging through videos for the odd screenshot

Just now, Midfield Triangle said:

Do you get access to the beta if you buy fm touch from steam?. 

yes

I agree regarding benefits of Touch.. I enjoy elements of the Full version but it's soo time consuming so I set up a save with a big team and am happy to only play a few seasons, trying to win League/CL and then do a long save with Lower league team on Touch so I can get through the seasons quicker.

1 hour ago, craiigman said:

Needs an editor

The last tine I used an editor in any version of FM was probably FM15, so no, it doesn't. 

6 hours ago, RyanBrown said:

II agree though, it is a bit off putting. I want to create my own team on Touch, 

The Create-A-Club mode is also on the Classic version of the game. 

I've played nothing but FMT for years now and I would never go back to the tedious clickfest that the full game has become. Repetitive team talks and press conferences killed it for me. 

46 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The Create-A-Club mode is also on the Classic version of the game. 

Wait, what? I can’t have missed that surely. 

18 ore fa, trevjim ha scritto:

The core game is still there and it uses the same Match engine etc.

Except with FEWER tools at your disposal, meaning you'll be "at the mercy" of the game (even) more often than with FM "proper", because under the hood it's still the same game AFAIK... So you can end up with a morale crisis or with an "inexplicable" poor run of form and not have enough options to solve the situation or at least to do some damage control.
It's like working with a "lighter" Windows interface where you can't really access to all the useful stuff should something go wrong... As long as everything goes according to play, you're happy you have to click on less stuff and there are fewer things to micromanage, but when you'll get an error message, you'll be done for.

Also, the absence of an editor may be a marginal issue to many, but to those who like to play journeyman saves, challenges or simply in lower leagues or smaller nations it's a bit of a dealbreaker. Not to mention perfectionists and completists who often disagree with some stuff in the original official DB.

I see at least the 3-nations limit has been lifted (to the cost of cross-platform compatibility), but is it possible to activate/deactivate leagues later?

Edited by RBKalle

I do prefer FMT, but last year I realised that I need access to the in-game editor to fix the game a bit as it gets further into the future, or to make playing in certain minor leagues more rewarding (i.e. changing prize money) and seeing as they won't make the editor available for FMT (or the in-game editor, for some reason) then I'm stuck with the faff of the full version this year.

I can't use touch with my Dad because one of the first games we play is Create A Club x2, we both take on a lower division side with identical everything (except names) and create a tactic and see which can do the best.  For that the editor is needed so I can edit the 2 clubs to make them match up, single online game so can't use regular Create A Club.  I don't agree FMT should be called FM Classic because it's effectively a "Lite" version, so if it was I would hope they'd have the decency and honesty to use FM Lite or just leave it as is.

I do want FM to be a more modular game though, it'd be nice to be able to disable certain elements of the game (press in particular) or disable the training module (every club has the same default training regime) depending on how you want to play the game.  Pie in the sky, yes but if we don't have hopes/wishes for the future what is the point.

8 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The last tine I used an editor in any version of FM was probably FM15, so no, it doesn't. 

Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean everybody will not use it. I would love FMT to have an editor. I have been requesting an editor for 4 years (and it seems I will have to wait yet for more one year or more to have it.

Also you do know that it will not mandatory to use an editor. If they add an editor you can CHOOSE to use or not. It will not affect your gameplay.

8 hours ago, SmurfDude said:

I've played nothing but FMT for years now and I would never go back to the tedious clickfest that the full game has become. Repetitive team talks and press conferences killed it for me. 

Just set your assistant manager to do them?

2 hours ago, grade said:

Also you do know that it will not mandatory to use an editor

Which is precisely why I said it's not needed. 

3 hours ago, RBKalle said:

Except with FEWER tools at your disposal, meaning you'll be "at the mercy" of the game (even) more often than with FM "proper", because under the hood it's still the same game AFAIK... So you can end up with a morale crisis or with an "inexplicable" poor run of form and not have enough options to solve the situation or at least to do some damage control.

The 'tools' you refer to have little or no influence on the match. Your tactics are. just as they are in the main game, the biggest influence on results.

And with there being no tactical familiarity, it's actually far easier to address a bad run of form than it is in the main game. Swing and a miss, lad. 

2 hours ago, Kenzo said:

Just set your assistant manager to do them?

That's not the same as them not being there, because the assman can mess them up big time.

Does FMT 19 have all the improvements of FM 19? Like training and tactics? 

In other words, is FMT 19 better than FMT 18? :)

Have been playing FMT mostly with 17 and 18. Will start with full fledged fm19 again this year but see how far I go before I long back to the essence that is in FMT. The endless pressers and stupid interactions with your players in Full mode are major time sinks.

3 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Which is precisely why I said it's not needed. 

... for you, you mean. ;) I don't share with your view and neither is your opinion better then mine. or mine better then yours. You don't want an editor in FMT. I do.

I have sense you are one of those that forget things all over the place. It seems you forget parts of your phrases.

4 ore fa, Dagenham_Dave ha scritto:

The 'tools' you refer to have little or no influence on the match. Your tactics are. just as they are in the main game, the biggest influence on results.

Sooooo it's just little more than cosmetic fluff then? ;)

You mean the countless tedious minutes spent on robotic press conferences, frustrating players interactions, perplexing pre-match briefings etc are in the end almost non-factors as all it matters is how well your tactics compliment your players (and the quirks of the current ME)???

If so, does it all boil down to "highest CA wins", provided you field a sensible formation/tactic?

I hope (and I know) it's not the case, because unhappy and frustrated players do perform worse and at times you just can't win a match if you fluffed your lines in PC or Team Talks...

4 ore fa, Dagenham_Dave ha scritto:

And with there being no tactical familiarity, it's actually far easier to address a bad run of form than it is in the main game. Swing and a miss, lad. 

Tactical familiarity is important, and I assume it being "absent" means it's static (at 100% I reckon). Which eliminates only ONE of the many factors that FMT leaves out for fluidity's sake.

So all the aforementioned tasks (chores?) are either:

a) realism-based set pieces that add flavour to the game but are ultimately crushed by Tactics+CA (+Rep?)
b) important parts of the bigger picture that FMT limits or suppresses. Hopefully by heavily reducing, or nullifying, their impact on the actual dynamics they affect in FM Proper.

It's not "swing and a miss", pal... it's a valid question with only one good answer...

7 hours ago, RBKalle said:

at times you just can't win a match if you fluffed your lines in PC or Team Talks...

Absolute nonsense. At best, a successful team talk will give your players a boost for around the first 15 minutes of a half, and vice versa. 

@RBKalle Back in 2015 when I first started playing FMT(C) I had the same fears; less tools at disposal to solve crisis. Fast forward to today, when I've been playing exclusively FMT in the mean time, I routinely ignore player unhappiness, moral crises etc. because I know my tactics will be spot on and I'll field correct players in correct roles/duties in relation to their attributes. That's all I need.

I don't how it works in full FM anymore nor how big of an impact "fluff" features have, but I do know you can safely ignore them on FMT, which is one of the big reasons I like it so much.

13 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You're forgetting those players. A bit like it tends to be in footie -- where perceived big time "overachievement" tends to be "corrected" the following season promptly (I wonder why).

To which extent, depends on the release naturally a bit -- back on the 15 era and previous, one "super dribbler" to which you hoofed the ball all match long whilst the rest of the team would sit behind the ball and not at all advance could still keep you afloat somewhat. (I doubt that'd work in footie, but that's FM). :D 

FM 2019 is my first dip into the game since FM 2016, before that I think it was FM2013 and every single version before that going right back to the start with Championship Manager (red box, fake names). 

I love the full game but I have limited time to play and completing a season would probably take me a couple of months minimum. And the chances are I would lose interest in the save after a couple of seasons or so. I started a game on Touch last night and this morning I got up excited and eager to play Football Manager for the first time in years! Loving it. Highly recommended it for those with limited game time and those that just want a more casual game. 

On 20/10/2018 at 04:05, prot651 said:

No editor either.  Club names misspelled or that horrible FC at the end... stadium names etc

Names can be sorted the same was as full fat.

1 ora fa, Dagenham_Dave ha scritto:

Absolute nonsense. At best, a successful team talk will give your players a boost for around the first 15 minutes of a half, and vice versa. 

Which can be enough to throw valuable points away, or at least to make an easy game much more complicated, with an unsuccessful team talk that could lead to conceding goals early.

1 ora fa, shirajzl ha scritto:

@RBKalle Back in 2015 when I first started playing FMT(C) I had the same fears; less tools at disposal to solve crisis. Fast forward to today, when I've been playing exclusively FMT in the mean time, I routinely ignore player unhappiness, moral crises etc. because I know my tactics will be spot on and I'll field correct players in correct roles/duties in relation to their attributes. That's all I need.

I don't how it works in full FM anymore nor how big of an impact "fluff" features have, but I do know you can safely ignore them on FMT, which is one of the big reasons I like it so much.

It sounds tempting, but I can't get over the lack of db customization TBH...

And in the end I don't even have issues with the extra features being in there (a press conference takes 1 minute to get through, too bad there are like 5 or 6 per week with the same questions), it's just about how repetitive, shallow and/or unnecessarily convoluted they are, for apparently so little gain.

I just wish I didn't have to choose between FM Bloated and FM Castrated...

24 minutes ago, Colorado said:

Names can be sorted the same was as full fat.

How if you don't have an editor ?

15 hours ago, mchbitil said:

Does FMT 19 have all the improvements of FM 19? Like training and tactics? 

In other words, is FMT 19 better than FMT 18? :)

Yes it does

12 hours ago, grade said:

... for you, you mean. ;) I don't share with your view and neither is your opinion better then mine. or mine better then yours. You don't want an editor in FMT. I do.

I have sense you are one of those that forget things all over the place. It seems you forget parts of your phrases.

And you seem to have forgotten that he was addressing the comment - "Needs an Editor or isnt worth it!" - which was someone else sharing a blunt opinion and view. 

The editor ISNT needed. Its a personal preference whether you wish to use it or not but its not a gamebreaker and certainly doesnt make Fm Touch not worth it. In my opinion, seeing as we are going down that path.

I do agree that the editor is not mandatory to play FMT.

What I don't understand is why SI, doesn't give the choice for those that want it (specially my that I want a FMT desktop editor version). I understand that the tablet version doesn't exists due to technical limitations.

I also why so many people go defencelessly about it, just wanting it for FMT. The editor in FMT would fill the exact same role the editor in FM plays. You want to use it, its there for you to use it. if don't want to use it, you can play without ever entering the editor. They gave the gamers/players the choice to use it or not.

For you or @Dagenham_Dave using an editor is not needed. I completely understand your way of playing FMT. But for me it is mandatory because i like to play fantasy leagues, world club cups, or using Dan's level 22 file or Dallan's Worldwide Champions League or Krlenjushka's Fifa Nations League, etc. What infuriates me the most is the lack of understanding of certain people that I like to play FM differently from others and would like FMT to have that option, but for me FM has became too bloated for the same reasons you guys have shared in the past. 

I simply like to have an option to play like I want to play in FMT. I find sometimes the lack of understanding from others disturbing.

But I simply have to accept that at the end of the day, this is SI game and i have to accept that an editor on FMT may not come true. The only thing I can do i write my opinion here to change their minds.

Edited by grade

1 minute ago, grade said:

IThe only thing I can do i write my opinion here to change their minds.

Given that you post about this nearly every day, I think they've probably got the message...

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Given that you post about this nearly every day, I think they've probably got the message...

To be fair. The message they probably received, but either dismiss it or ignore it.

Edited by grade

2 hours ago, flogside said:

And you seem to have forgotten that he was addressing the comment - "Needs an Editor or isnt worth it!" - which was someone else sharing a blunt opinion and view. 

The editor ISNT needed. Its a personal preference whether you wish to use it or not but its not a gamebreaker and certainly doesnt make Fm Touch not worth it. In my opinion, seeing as we are going down that path.

Personally think it needs an editor . Surely you cant be happy with stadiums called a ( City )  rectangle stadium or having FC after every team name and other mistakes

On 21/10/2018 at 15:07, prot651 said:

Personally think it needs an editor . Surely you cant be happy with stadiums called a ( City )  rectangle stadium or having FC after every team name and other mistakes

I don't play it, I've only toyed around with it. I'm not saying they shouldn't give an option of an editor for it but I don't think it's a deal breaker in playing it without one. For me it's the light version of the game so if I want an editor and all the bells and whistles then I'll play the main version.