dafuge's FM19 challenge

The Aim

To take a small club who were previously unplayable in an unedited game from the Vanarama National League North/South to Premier League and Champions League glory.

The Rules

Start the game unemployed and choose the advanced setup. Like last year, you have the option of loading whatever leagues you like at the start and throughout the game. All of the boxes should be left unticked apart from 'do not add key staff' and 'prevent use of in-game editor'. It should look like this.

Just like previous years, the players for the newly playable clubs need to be added which can be done using the 'advanced' option on the database size. The players from the four feeder league have to be added, which looks like this (the other two are right at the bottom). You can also add anything else you like to increase the size of the database.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

Add yourself as an unemployed manager, the details are not important at all. I like to call mine 'Holiday Man'.

Go on holiday until 25th June. This is the day that the new clubs appear, so saving on 24th June gives you a chance to reload in the hope of getting a particular club.

Retire your 'Holiday Man' manager allowing him to finish his career unbeaten.

When adding a new manager, choose one of the new clubs promoted to the Vanarama North or South to manage. A quick way to check the new teams is to find the 'England Overview' screen, then the 'season summary'. Just above the FA Cup summary you should find a list of the six newly promoted teams.

Add a new manager, the personal details are completely up to you but I would expect people to use their own true nationalities and languages spoken. Coaching badges must be set to 'None', with past playing experience set as 'Sunday League Footballer'. The coaching attributes are completely up to you.

They should appear in this list which shows the reputation of the possible clubs. The reputation should act as a difficulty level. The lower the reputation, the harder your game should be.

Reputations are updated for FM19 release:

Isthmian League Premier Division

AFC Hornchurch	       2050
Bishop's Stortford     2100
Bognor Regis	       2100
Brightlingsea          1700
Burgess Hill           1750
Carshalton	       2000
Corinthian-Casuals     1700
Dorking Wanderers      2100
Enfield Town           1950
Folkstone              1950
Haringey Borough       1650
Harlow                 1800
Kingstonian            2450
Leatherhead            1850
Lewes		       1900
Margate                2100
Merstham               1750
Potters Bar Town       1550
Tonbridge              1950
Whitehawk	       2200
Wingate & Finchley     1750
Worthing               1900

Southern Football League Premier Division Central

AFC Rushden	       1600
Alvechurch	       1600
Banbury                1750
Barwell                1850
Bedworth	       1750
Biggleswade Town       1900
Coalville              1800
Halesowen              2350
Hitchin                2000
Kettering              2750
King's Lynn            2250
Leiston                1800
Lowestoft              2100
Needham Market         1850
Redditch               1900
Royston                1850
Rushall                1900
St. Ives               1750
St. Neots              1900
Stourbridge            2000
Stratford              1750
Tamworth	       2250

Southern Football League Premier Division South

Basingstoke            2150 
Beaconsfield	       1600
Chesham                2250
Dorchester             1950
Farnborough            2100
Frome                  1950
Gosport                2200
Harrow                 1850
Hartney Wintney	       1500
Hendon                 2220
Kings Langley          1850
Merthyr T              2250
Met Police             1950
Poole		       2100
Salisbury	       2250
Staines                1950
Swindon Supermarine    1650
Taunton		       1700
Tiverton               1850
Walton Casuals	       1550
Weymouth               1950
Wimbourne	       1500

Northern Premier League Premier Division

Bamber Bridge	       1800
Basford		       1900
Buxton                 1950
Farsley                2100
Gainsborough Trinity   2200
Grantham               2000
Hednesford             2100
Hyde Utd	       1950
Lancaster              1850
Marine                 1900
Matlock                1950
Mickleover             1900
Nantwich               1950
North Ferriby	       2000
Scarborough	       2050
Stafford               1950
Stalybridge            2150
South Shields	       2000
Warrington             2100
Whitby                 1900
Witton                 1900
Workington             2000
It is now up to you to manage this club all the way to the Premier League title and UEFA Champions League crown. The challenge is complete once you have won both competitions, this does not need to happen in the same season.

You may not move clubs unless you are sacked.

If you get sacked, you can either take over a newly promoted club that satisfies the original criteria (check the club's league history), or just start again.

Any form of international management is not allowed, until you have completed the challenge.

Assigning parent clubs and loaning players is completely up to the player, although it should be noted that on occasions a parent club can lend players which will make the first season or two slightly less of a challenge. It is completely up to you how you play this one. Personally, I like to assign a parent club for financial benefits but never take any players on loan from them.

To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to, just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player on a free transfer who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them, as long as you have them at the club on trial so you can get a coach report on him. If an agent offers you a player, you can sign him without scouting him.

No external utilities such as scouting programs should be used and the database should be unedited (with the exception of cosmetic changes which cannot be discussed here). Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed but any other data updates are not.

Use of save game editors is strictly banned, whatever the reason. Ticking that box at the start should see to this.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed.

General discussion on tactics is allowed, although people should not refer to downloaded tactics. They are not banned, but I would expect the majority of people to avoid them.

When you join the challenge, post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the 25th June like this.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread, we want to hear the story of your club all the way through. Please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including at least a screenshot of a league table and the clubs transfer page. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier to pick out.

How to Post a Screenshot

• While in FM, press Alt and F9
  • A picture will be saved to a screenshots folder, in the FM19 folder in your documents
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Imgur
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

Leaderboard

https://warhawk137.wixsite.com/dafugechallenge

(thanks to @Warhawk)

Enjoy :)

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<reserved for my annual hosting of saved games for the FM19 version of the challenge!>

Okay, here is an initial batch for those that don't want to worry about the holiday season.   I'll continue to add to this list of saves up thru release+ 1 week or so...there are 88 teams available for the challenge, and I hope to find at least 60 of them.

This first batch is from the BETA version of FM 19, was loaded with 24 leagues in 8 nations (all of UK&I +, I believe, Iceland), and has about 32K players in the database.  (Numbers in parentheses at end of line is my attempt to keep track of number of distinct teams I've found to that point).  Teams are listed in bold if it is the first time they appear on this list (thanks for the suggestion @oohlala111

•     Save 3a1  Halesowen, Gosport, Kingstonian, Whitehawk, Stalybridge, Gainsborough (6)
  •     Save 3a2 Kettering, Halesowen, Whitehawk, Kingstonian, Workington, South Shields (9)
  •     Save 3a3 Kettering, Tamworth, Kingstonian, Margate, Scarborough, Stalybridge (12)
  •     Save 3a4 Kettering, Halesowen, Chesham, Kingstonian, Gainsborough, King's Lynn (14)
  •     Save 3a5 Kettering, Gosport, Kingstonian, Whitehawk, Hednesford, Stalybridge (15)
  •    Save 3B1 Halesowen, Kingstonian, Margate, Hednesford, Salisbury, King's Lynn (16)
  •    Save 3B2 Merthyr T, Kingstonian, Farnborough, King's Lynn, Whitehawk, Farsley (19)

This next Batch is from the BETA version of FM19, featuring 63 leagues in 19 nations and a database of approximately 100K players!

• Save 1a1  Gosport, Tamworth, Kingstonian, Bishop's Stortford, Gainsborough, Warrington (21)
  • Save 1a2  Salisbury, Tamworth, Kingstonian, Bishop's Stortford, South Shields, Nantwich (22)
  • Save 1a3  Kettering, Dorking Wanderers, Bishop's Stortford, Hednesford, Poole, King's Lynn (24)
  • Save 1a4 Gosport, Salisbury, Dorking Wanderers, Carshalton, Stalybridge, Gainsborough (25)

Tis next batch is from the BETA version of FM19, featuring 53 leagues in 15 nations and approximately 75K players.

• Save 2a1 Kettering, Halesowen, Kingstonian, Chesham, South Shields, Stafford (26)
  • Save 2a2 Kettering, Halesowen, Bognor Regis, Hendon, Hednesford, Lancaster (29)
  • Save 2a3 Gosport, Poole, Hitchin, Stalybridge, Scarborough, Warrnington (30)

First batch of saves from the RELEASE database is 18 leagues/six nations with about 25K players

• Save 4a1  Salisbury, Carshalton, Tonbridge, Hednesford, King's Lynn, Gainsborough Trinity (31)
  • Save 4a2 Kettering, Gosport, Chesham, Folkestone, Gainsborough Trinity, South Shields (32)
  • Save 4a3 Kettering, Salisbury, Hendon, Chesham, Hednesford, Hyde (33)
  • Save 4b1 Kettering, Basingstoke, Kingstonian, Whitehawk, King's Lynn, Farsley (34)
  • Save 4b2 Halesowen, Salisbury, AFC Hornchurch, Dorking Wanderers, Stalybridge, Warrington (35)

Next batch of saves from the RELEASE database is 42 leagues/16 Nations with about 75K players

• Save 5a1 Tamworth, Kettering, Kingstonian, Farnborough, Hednesford, North Ferriby (36)
  • Save 5a2 Halesowen, Salisbury, Farnborough, Kingstonian, Warrington, Grantham (37)
  • Save 5a3  Halesowen, Kingstonian, Lowestoft, Farnborough, Stalybridge, Workington (38)
  •  

Batch of saves from the RELEASE database -- all leagues in all European nations -- about 125k players

• Save 6a1 Kettering, Halesowen, Whitehawk, Kingstonian, Stalybridge, Basford (39)
  • Save 6a2  Salisbury, Basingstoke, Kingstonian, Bishop's Stortford, Matlock, Workington (40)
  • Save 6a3  Salisbury, Hendon, Chesham, Stourbridge, Bishop's Stortford, Workington (41)

Edited by G_D_K

Meantime, I've gotten a great start with my SOUTH SHIELDS Mariners team!  Early season, but 12 points from 6 matches puts us 5th on the table atm.  Might or might not be my permanent save, have to see if any game breaking bugs are found during beta (or how well/poorly I end up doing!).

1C48E5473F0ED5A703585F56B7BE2CB45505662B (1920Ã1080)

2 minutes ago, libbyshuss said:

looks like you have one of the walking dead as your manager avatar...

Considering my normal sleep patterns (esp. during the build up to FM release), I usually feel like one too :D

I just came from behind to beat Kettering 2-1!!!  

By the way --- Steam community Group page dedicated to this challenge can be found https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791432542089

Come join us and let us know how you're getting on....(everyone welcome, this challenge, another challenge, FM or gaming in general!)

Edited by G_D_K

I started as Worthing after a lot of reloads, still only saw half the teams on the list.

In terms of the squad my 27yo ass man who was already at the club is the favourite to win the league best player award. I have several 3 and 4 star players as well who are good or leading for the league, so its just getting the tactics right.

Edited by Thebaker

Debating whether to wait for a non-league database so I can have real players for my team or to just forget it and start reloading now... Already doing a Man Utd beta save but will probably end that after 3 or 4 seasons anyway. Definitely going with Buxton as the team I support, but just undecided what to do as I could easily combine my annual Bucks save with this challenge :seagull:

@G_D_K great work with the pre-made saves as usual, but could you bold any newly-found teams for each new save? Makes it easier for me and others who are looking for a certain team if it's in bold :D 

As soon as my United beta save is over, it's off to this challenge ;) 

Debated for a while what challenge to start and thought this would be best.   Database.   Manager setup

Meet the new manager of Dorking Wanderers Manager ProfileFinancesFacilities

A few things stood out for me in making my choice, last seasons low rating 1250, although its predicted a lot higher this season. secondly, we are predicted to finish bottom in the Season Preview, and lastly the club was only formed in 1999 and has won no honours in its 19 year existence. 

2 hours ago, Ice Ice Gravy said:

Love that even as a new non-league manager Chris Wilder has already taken issue with you.

WAWAW

That's because the game is so realistic it's captured every cunty side of his personality haha. 

WAWAW

So here we go. I'm the new manager at Kingstonian.

Difficult decision as I wanted a London team, but on my first load Farsley popped up as well. I had a great save on FM09 with them where I won the Champions League (no Premier League though) and it was the most attached I'd been to any team I've had on FM. But it's time for something new.

Plus, I noticed the Ks had signed Muhammadu Faal from Dulwich during the holiday man season. I've seen him a few times for Dulwich and he's a great player. Hoping this is some kind of omen...

di3jlwbz_400x400.thumb.jpg.abe2e9858715860cc4ffc5ade8c962b1.jpg

Hyde United - 2019/2020

League

Finished 7th in league moving above Kidderminster on the final match of the season on goal difference. Got smashed 4-2 by Nuneaton in the first round of the play offs.

Cups

Didn't really try in the cups to be honest, just rotated players for cup matches.

Transfers

DoF signed lots of players for me and the rest i found through the scouts, all Free transfers, Daniel Williams was the best signing my DoF made, switched from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-1-4-1 to play him at Anchor Man.

Players - Tactics

Jake Dunwoody & Thomas Cole - Both played CM for nearly every game, decent free transfers made by the DoF.

Daniel Williams - Changed my team to fit him in at Anchor Man, he had a 2 month injury where we barely won a game without him and then came back near the end of the season and we won 5 out of 6 matches i think.

Divin Baningime - Was a decent striker but very inconsistent .

Next Season

Need to sign better defenders since they were all very inconsistent and definitely get a back up striker to compete with Divin Baningme. And figure out how the training system works because ive ignored that so far.

a.thumb.png.7271e0905a6cf444d8c5783956ae5224.png

Edited by Higgo

Man, we just love comebacks apparently.  In 16 competitive matches so far we're 9-5-2.  Of the 9 wins, we trailed in 4, including one where we were down 2-0 at the half, and one where we scored in the 93rd minute to win.  1 of the 5 draws was scoreless, of the other 4 we trailed in 3, including another where we were down 2-0 at the half.  We've scored 10 and allowed 12 goals in the first half, and scored 22 and allowed 10 in the second half. 

Having played this game for many years my teams are always in the top 3 teams for a season in terms of yellow and red cards, fouls etc. This season my team had no red cards and only half the yellow cards of the worst team, 13th in the league. obviously not got my tactics quite right yet.

download.jpg.8e1a9cdfb547645ab898831b3148b36d.jpg

Dorking Wanderers FC 2019-20

COMPETITIONS - What a season, in the League we was predicted to finish bottom and turned the table on its head ending the season as Champions. In the cupsa real FA Cup fairy tale, where we managed to get all the way to the third round. Here we faced Newcastle away.... 8-0.... ouch. Still we earned £750k from that tie alone and around £900k from the cup run. A massive boost to the club. The FA Trophy didn't go so well as we lost to Eastleigh in the 1st round.

TRANSFERS - After trialling literally ever player released in the summer by an English club, we put together a brilliant squad at no cost at all. Plus the 1 loan signing who proved a gem.

PLAYERS -  Midfielders Sam Wilding and Kieran Lavery were excellent this season. Whilst strikers Adam CoombesAlfie Stanley and loan signing Jermaine Turner led us to the title with 70 goals between them. 

YOUTH INTAKE - Nothing to mention here. literally doesn't look like anyone who could cut it next season.

CLUB - With the money from the cup run, I managed to squeeze a slight Youth Improvement  out of the board. Who so far have refused a senior affiliate and me a coaching badge course.

Next Seasons Aim: I always aim for the higher end of the table, especially in the lower leagues so will be aiming for a top 10 finish next season at least. Judging on our results in the cup against higher opposition we should be able to hold our own, and with a few additions maybe even make a run at the play offs.  

Season	League	Pos	Fa Cup	Achievement
-----------------------------------------------------
18/19	VNLS	1st	Rnd 3	Promoted

Edited by Lewis89

XaW - Kettering Town - 2019/20

KetteringTFC.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

When I took over the club there were some glaring issues with the squad. Most notably the lack of centre backs. There were only 2, and a left back who were "uncomfortable" playing there. I started the season with a Wing play based tactic, that seemed to work great in pre-season, but really struggled when the competitive matches started. So I went back to the drawing board and ended up with a 4-1-4-1 who alternate between going on the front foot and standing off, and that worked amazing for a good part of the season. At one point we were solidly inside the playoff spots, but after avoiding relegation were not an issue the team faltered a bit. We also had one of our few injury issues at that time, so we dropped a bit back, but still finished in a pretty good 9th place.

In the FA Cup we got as far as the 1st round before we got knocked out by Bromley. A pretty decent run. In the FA Trophy we made it all the way to the 4th round before Halifax Town got the better of us.

Oh, and we are expanding our stadium with 500 standing spots to comply with regulations and it should be done in the summer.

Since I'm playing a youth only game here are the two best players I got through the youth intake. Gary O'Neill 20a were involved in 10 matches after he came through the ranks and got his first goal for us, and also contributed with 4 assists. A very good start for the young midfielder. David Liburd 20b went straight into the main squad and will probably stay there for a while. He is already ranked as the best central defender in the squad and even scored from a corner!

Season	|       League	             |  Position |   FA Cup      |   Europe	|   Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019/20	|   National League North    |  9th	 |  1st round    |   N/A	|   Just of playoffs
Edited by XaW

56 minutes ago, XaW said:

XaW - Kettering Town - 2019/20

KetteringTFC.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

When I took over the club there were some glaring issues with the squad. Most notably the lack of centre backs. There were only 2, and a left back who were "uncomfortable" playing there. I started the season with a Wing play based tactic, that seemed to work great in pre-season, but really struggled when the competitive matches started. So I went back to the drawing board and ended up with a 4-1-4-1 who alternate between going on the front foot and standing off, and that worked amazing for a good part of the season. At one point we were solidly inside the playoff spots, but after avoiding relegation were not an issue the team faltered a bit. We also had one of our few injury issues at that time, so we dropped a bit back, but still finished in a pretty good 9th place.

In the FA Cup we got as far as the 1st round before we got knocked out by Bromley. A pretty decent run. In the FA Trophy we made it all the way to the 4th round before Halifax Town got the better of us.

Oh, and we are expanding our stadium with 500 standing spots to comply with regulations and it should be done in the summer.

Since I'm playing a youth only game here are the two best players I got through the youth intake. Gary O'Neill 20a were involved in 10 matches after he came through the ranks and got his first goal for us, and also contributed with 4 assists. A very good start for the young midfielder. David Liburd 20b went straight into the main squad and will probably stay there for a while. He is already ranked as the best central defender in the squad and even scored from a corner!

Season	|       League	             |  Position |   FA Cup      |   Europe	|   Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019/20	|   National League North    |  9th	 |  1st round    |   N/A	|   Just of playoffs

Did Kettering for the Dafuge challenge few editions ago, since Billericay is out of contention this year I might try for Kettering as I had a fun game with them. 

Thought I would wait for the full release game before starting this but can't wait, simulation already under way!

Edited by Prank Emperor

On 19/10/2018 at 20:43, G_D_K said:

<reserved for my annual hosting of saved games for the FM19 version of the challenge!>

Okay, here is an initial batch for those that don't want to worry about the holiday season.   I'll continue to add to this list of saves up thru release+ 1 week or so...there are 88 teams available for the challenge, and I hope to find at least 60 of them.

This first batch is from the BETA version of FM 19, was loaded with 24 leagues in 8 nations (all of UK&I +, I believe, Iceland), and has about 32K players in the database.  (Numbers in parentheses at end of line is my attempt to keep track of number of distinct teams I've found to that point).  Teams are listed in bold if it is the first time they appear on this list (thanks for the suggestion @oohlala111

•     Save 3a1  Halesowen, Gosport, Kingstonian, Whitehawk, Stalybridge, Gainsborough (6)
  •     Save 3a2 Kettering, Halesowen, Whitehawk, Kingstonian, Workington, South Shields (9)
  •     Save 3a3 Kettering, Tamworth, Kingstonian, Margate, Scarborough, Stalybridge (12)
  •     Save 3a4 Kettering, Halesowen, Chesham, Kingstonian, Gainsborough, King's Lynn (14)
  •     Save 3a5 Kettering, Gosport, Kingstonian, Whitehawk, Hednesford, Stalybridge (15)
  •    Save 3B1 Halesowen, Kingstonian, Margate, Hednesford, Salisbury, King's Lynn (16)
  •    Save 3B2 Merthyr T, Kingstonian, Farnborough, King's Lynn, Whitehawk, Farsley (19)

This next Batch is from the BETA version of FM19, featuring 63 leagues in 19 nations and a database of approximately 100K players!

• Save 1a1  Gosport, Tamworth, Kingstonian, Bishop's Stortford, Gainsborough, Warrington (21)
  • Save 1a2  Salisbury, Tamworth, Kingstonian, Bishop's Stortford, South Shields, Nantwich (22)
  • Save 1a3  Kettering, Dorking Wanderers, Bishop's Stortford, Hednesford, Poole, King's Lynn (24)
  • Save 1a4 Gosport, Salisbury, Dorking Wanderers, Carshalton, Stalybridge, Gainsborough (25)

You absolute legend mate

On 19/10/2018 at 20:56, G_D_K said:

Meantime, I've gotten a great start with my SOUTH SHIELDS Mariners team!  Early season, but 12 points from 6 matches puts us 5th on the table atm.  Might or might not be my permanent save, have to see if any game breaking bugs are found during beta (or how well/poorly I end up doing!).

1C48E5473F0ED5A703585F56B7BE2CB45505662B (1920Ã1080)

I'm going to be starting this challenge to go alongside my other career and starting as Shields.

Think I'm gonna begin my holidaying and reloading to see if I can get Buxton, and then I'll make a decision - continue my Man Utd beta save and then this challenge or do both at the same time? Any save I start now might not even be my full save if there's any bugs or huge issues in the beta but I'd like to at least have that option...