Sports Interactive Community
coady

FM19 - Part of the Furniture (Taking Torquay to the Top)

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 9 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today it's our first ever cup final and it's 1st v 2nd in League 1, as we face Shrewsbury Town FC in the Checkatrade Trophy Final.

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday. 

Thanks for watching!

Oh dear, well it's all about the mentals now, making sure you don't blow your lead at the top of the league. Will you start playing more cautiously to ensure you don't lose games rather than going all-out to win them?

On 22/02/2019 at 03:45, phnompenhandy said:

Oh dear, well it's all about the mentals now, making sure you don't blow your lead at the top of the league. Will you start playing more cautiously to ensure you don't lose games rather than going all-out to win them?

I'm not sure we'll go about it more cautiously, but certainly bring a bit more experience back in. Kenlock for McCabe at left back, Stevens into midfield, etc. Hopefully we'll do enough!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 10 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we celebrate promotion and winning the League 1 title on the final day of season against my beloved Luton Town FC.

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday. 

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we prepare for life in the EFL Championship for the first time. We focus on transfers, tactics & an unusual job offer over the summer!

Thanks for watching!

Interesting. Presumably, you've played a few friendlies with your new tactic, so with the season about to commence it's too late to try something very different; for me though, a counter-attacking tactic is definitely the way to go as opponents will come at you, but I just worry you might be dominated in midfield. I'm not sure if your DC Stopper covers the space but I'd have a DM, maybe as an Anchor rather than a Mezzala (to be fair, I'm not sure what that is - I don't do the fancy-dan roles in non-league!). You seem to have a good few players who can play in a DM position, too. But let's see how you get on v Reading - you might be just fine.

19 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Interesting. Presumably, you've played a few friendlies with your new tactic, so with the season about to commence it's too late to try something very different; for me though, a counter-attacking tactic is definitely the way to go as opponents will come at you, but I just worry you might be dominated in midfield. I'm not sure if your DC Stopper covers the space but I'd have a DM, maybe as an Anchor rather than a Mezzala (to be fair, I'm not sure what that is - I don't do the fancy-dan roles in non-league!). You seem to have a good few players who can play in a DM position, too. But let's see how you get on v Reading - you might be just fine.

Haha I have the same problem with the Mezzala, I'm much more used to lower divisions. I guess that bit will be among the easier to change if it goes wrong. It's a tough one really, if we lose, it may just be because we're a less talented side and may have lost anyway! We'll soon find out though, I guess.

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, we play our first ever game in the EFL Championship against Reading FC. Will our new tactic work?

Thanks for watching!

Well that was a decent start. Suggests to me you'll finish at least mid-table.

I have to admit I was extremely optimistic after this game. However, after playing just 2 games off camera since... I've lost that confidence somewhat!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we face Swansea City FC as we begin to struggle after our promising start to the EFL Championship season!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today we face Sunderland in another big game as we continue to adapt to life in the EFL Championship, while trying to stay away from the bottom three!

A massive thanks for watching as always, it's greatly appreciated!

I agree with your concerns about your tactics. Your side is set up to dominate weaker teams, but it's not appropriate when playing stronger sides. Your back line needs more protection on the flanks and/or ahead of it - with both wingbacks and no DM cover, you're asking for trouble.

I do understand your reasoning though - you want to get the best out of your better players. I'm in a situation whereby far and away the best two players in my squad are both AMRs. It seems a crime to drop one so I tried to shoe-horn one into a wingback but it unbalanced the team so I had to abandon the idea. You'll need to lessen the impact of a single player or two for the benefit of team balance.

13 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I agree with your concerns about your tactics. Your side is set up to dominate weaker teams, but it's not appropriate when playing stronger sides. Your back line needs more protection on the flanks and/or ahead of it - with both wingbacks and no DM cover, you're asking for trouble.

I do understand your reasoning though - you want to get the best out of your better players. I'm in a situation whereby far and away the best two players in my squad are both AMRs. It seems a crime to drop one so I tried to shoe-horn one into a wingback but it unbalanced the team so I had to abandon the idea. You'll need to lessen the impact of a single player or two for the benefit of team balance.

I know long term I'll inevitably end up with a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 again, as they're the only 2 formations I could implement anywhere near successfully IRL. I'm just hoping we can stay safe and score enough goals this year. If we can stay in the Championship and increase our reputation, there's no reason we won't be able to be far more picky in the market next season!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we head over to Crystal Palace, looking to continue our recent good form in the EFL Championship. We've also got some transfer news, as we prepare for the January window!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! This episode is dominated by big transfer news from the January window. However, we still find time to face playoff chasing Swansea City FC in the EFL Championship.

Thanks for watching as always!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we face EFL Championship playoff hopefuls Middlesbrough, before meeting our first youth intake since our facility & youth recruitment upgrades!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today we rightly celebrate survival as we face Brentford FC on the final day of the EFL Championship season. We also plan for a busy summer ahead and review our first season at this level!

Thanks for watching!

Woah, April wipe out! Kind of you to save West Ham from relegation :brock:

There's a  'Johnny Burn Appreciation Thread' around at the moment - same guy I presume. Is he the Cherno Samba of FM19?

4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Woah, April wipe out! Kind of you to save West Ham from relegation :brock:

There's a  'Johnny Burn Appreciation Thread' around at the moment - same guy I presume. Is he the Cherno Samba of FM19?

I know we're generous, right? West Ham are an easy side to sell the ground out against, so it's mutually beneficial!

I've got to be honest, I like Johnny Burn but that seems a little far fetched. He's a good pro that becomes a solid L1/CH player but certainly not even close to the Samba, Adu, Fleck leagues! I'll have to go and see why people are loving him so much. 

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we discuss our summer transfers, some important stadium news & play our first game of the EFL Championship season against Preston North End!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, we're reunited with Owen Jack as we face Mauricio Pochettino's Crystal Palace in the EFL Championship.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we face a Huddersfield Town side managed by Eddie Howe, as we continue our EFL Championship campaign. We also look at mentoring, as we try to develop our talented youngsters into stars!

Thanks for watching!

I don't know how you find the time to play so much FM!!!

Really enjoying both series though, keep up the good work.

On 22/03/2019 at 12:22, wobbly007 said:

I don't know how you find the time to play so much FM!!!

Really enjoying both series though, keep up the good work.

Thanks, I appreciate that!

I actually find I play less now, as I used to be very indecisive at choosing and sticking with a save when it got difficult. Making the 2 series has made that much easier. The odd time it's a bit tricky with work & social commitments, but normally not a problem!

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we head to struggling Leeds United in the EFL Championship. The January transfer window is also open, so we discuss our plans for the rest of the month.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, we face promotion chasing Brighton & Hove Albion. We also introduce a couple of new signings and meet our new youth intake!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we give our youth intake stars a chance against Colchester United. We also plan for a big summer at Torquay United!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 9 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we've got a transfer special, as well as discussing tactics & facilities, as we prepare for our last season at Plainmoor, before moving into our new stadium.

A massive thanks for watching as always, it's greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Season 9 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today we play our first game of the EFL Championship season away at newly promoted Bristol City, as we see some of our new signings in action for the first time in a Torquay United shirt!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 9 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, we head to The London Olympic Stadium to face West Ham United. Can we continue our promising start to the season?

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 9 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, there's a top of the table clash as we face Fulham in the EFL Championship.

Thanks for watching!

That defensive record is a mystery. The goals you concede aren't down to howlers, and your defenders' average ratings seem to be not bad. With no obvious solution, I think you need to go back and watch a few goals conceded over a period of time and try to identify certain tactical instructions that need tweaking. Of course, it could be that you're just punching above your weight given your finances and reputation. Proper manager job to sort this one out!

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

That defensive record is a mystery. The goals you concede aren't down to howlers, and your defenders' average ratings seem to be not bad. With no obvious solution, I think you need to go back and watch a few goals conceded over a period of time and try to identify certain tactical instructions that need tweaking. Of course, it could be that you're just punching above your weight given your finances and reputation. Proper manager job to sort this one out!

I think the main problems/factors are as follows:-

•  We make a lot of individual errors, either at WB or in the CB positions. However, because the WB's get so many assists and the CB's always get awarded with 'key passes' from headers when attacking set pieces, these rarely reflect in the ratings. 
  • Most of my defensive players have attributes of 12 or less for tackling and marking, which mean they lose men frequently.
  • We do get beaten by some long balls over the top, but our higher pressing lines also lead to a lot of clear cut attacking chances.
  • CM is one of our weakest positions (with the long term injury to Lehane), which las led to League One standard players featuring every week in that position.
  • All of our sub defenders/wing backs are 22 or younger, most of those are fairly inconsistent too. Hence the crazy swing in performances on a game to game basis.

Most of these problems I have to accept can't be fixed by our current budget. I think we have to accept that we're punching above our weight and just see how long we can sustain it. Once we move into our new stadium, we can go back to an ideal formation, with a bigger wage bill covered by the matchday revenue. 

Welcome to Season 9 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we face playoff chasing rivals Bristol City, as we start a daunting winter schedule in the EFL Championship.

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. 

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 9 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, we try to address our increasingly worrying slide with a home game against West Ham. After that, we face transfer deadline day, as the January window slams shut!

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. 

Thanks for watching!

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

It's all about keeping it decent until the new stadium is ready. You're on course.

You're right and in truth, I'd probably be delighted if we'd just been steady all season. Having been top only a few weeks ago though, the slide is really hard to take!

Welcome to Season 9 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we face Reading as we try to end a horrific spell of form in the EFL Championship. We also meet our new youth intake, as we look desperately for some good news at the club!

Thanks for watching!

Blimey, a run like that and you're still on the cusp of the play-offs. Funny old league.

It's been a really strange season, which as you rightly point out, could yet end in jubilation. I think we'll struggle to keep hold of this squad for much longer, so if it doesn't happen this season or next, we could be destined for mediocrity! 

Welcome to Season 9 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we discuss an emotional farewell to Plainmoor, ahead of our move to a new stadium next season. We also talk summer plans, transfer targets, future tactics and review our season, which finishes with a game against Cardiff City.

Thanks for watching!

I've just recorded the first 2 episodes of season 10. There's certainly plenty of interesting transfer news to come tomorrow, which may lead us to rethink our plan of pushing for promotion. Then on Sunday we'll get a first look at our new stadium, and what a thing of beauty it is!

Welcome to Season 10 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we discuss our summer transfer business, which includes some massive news! We also introduce our new tactic, ahead of the first game in our new stadium.

Thanks for watching!

Can you use the Quirk dosh to max out your youth and training facilities? Would be lovely to get a regular supply line of little quirks year after year.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Can you use the Quirk dosh to max out your youth and training facilities? Would be lovely to get a regular supply line of little quirks year after year.

That's very much the plan for the next 2-3 years. My favourite part of FM is developing HG academy players, which is why I was so devastated to see him go. I'd much rather spend the money that way, than on overpriced Championship players that may not even do better than the current crop!

Edited by coady

Welcome to Season 10 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, we introduce our highly anticipated new Torquay stadium, as we host Bradford City in the EFL Championship. We also confirm some more big transfer news.

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from sports games such as Snooker 19, Cricket 19 & F1 2019 every Friday.

Thanks for watching, it's greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Season 10 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we face parent club Liverpool in the Carabao Cup Third Round, after a strong start to the Championship season. Can we cause a huge cup upset?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from sports games such as Snooker 19, Cricket 19 & F1 2019 every Friday.

Thanks for watching!

I'm not convinced by this new formation.  It seems to me that by giving away so much possession, you're asking for trouble

9 hours ago, wobbly007 said:

I'm not convinced by this new formation.  It seems to me that by giving away so much possession, you're asking for trouble

I agree about possession, but I think it's a risk worth taking to focus on shape. A lot of the reason we had more possession before is because we used to press so much too, but that left us out of position all the time on the break. 

We'll give it a year and see what happens, hopefully it will work as well as the lop sided 4-2-3-1 in League One. 👍