Sports Interactive Community
coady

FM19 - Part of the Furniture (Taking Torquay to the Top)

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! 

A Checkatrade Trophy tie against Chelsea U23's gives us a chance to focus on youth development today. We'll show you our individual training & mentoring regimes, in addition to our live game.

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday. 

A massive thanks for watching!

20 hours ago, coady said:

We'll show you our individual training & mentoring regimes

Now that was very useful to me. I'm salivating over the prospect of organising full-time training schedules although it's a good few years away for me at the moment, you've given me valuable tips I hadn't thought about. And mentoring - I had no idea other mental attributes apart from determination are affected. Gives me a lot more to think about!

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Now that was very useful to me. I'm salivating over the prospect of organising full-time training schedules although it's a good few years away for me at the moment, you've given me valuable tips I hadn't thought about. And mentoring - I had no idea other mental attributes apart from determination are affected. Gives me a lot more to think about!

I always used to think the same, but mentoring seems to have much more of an impact on other mental attributes this year (than the previous tutoring system). I've noticed leadership & work rate grow in particular, may just be a coincidence but seems to be too frequent for that to be the case. I presume it must affect the hidden mental attributes more this year, which has a knock on effect on the ones we see as a manager.

In a one club challenge like this, where development & sell-on profit is so important to quick progression, I always pay so much attention to training & mentoring.

Edited by coady

We're back with more action from Torquay tomorrow. After a look at our youth development in the last episode before Christmas, this time we'll very much be focusing on the first XI. We'll be trying to get through a tricky FA Cup First Round tie too, as the more money we make from a good cup run, the less likely our board are to start selling our players for the third January in a row!

The two episodes after that will be all about top of the table clashes, as well as showing both ends of the January transfer window. We've also got our 2nd ever youth intake to look forward to. This will be our first since our facilities & coaching were upgraded, combined with our new HoYD, will hopefully serve up a treat for us!

Edited by coady

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! We start a crucial FA Cup run against Peterborough today, as we try to raise enough money to prevent January sales!

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday. 

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! We start the new year with our plans for the January Transfer Window and a trip to rivals Yeovil.

Thanks for watching!

I wouldn't be harsh on the boys; I don't think it was arrogance - this was the third of three games in seven days, even if they had the legs, they'd be mentally exhausted. A week to recuperate will see them good against Fylde.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 01:05, phnompenhandy said:

I wouldn't be harsh on the boys; I don't think it was arrogance - this was the third of three games in seven days, even if they had the legs, they'd be mentally exhausted. A week to recuperate will see them good against Fylde.

In retrospect I agree, I think we'll just be working on a slightly more defensive away formation to see the year out!

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today we'll be panicking our way through transfer deadline day, showing you a club record sale & playing 2nd place Lincoln, who could jump above us with a win!

Thanks for watching!

Edited by coady

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! 

It's youth intake day & we'll discover if we've unearthed the next home grown club icon. We also face Stevenage, the side we're currently managing in our other FM19 story The Head Coach, as we continue our push towards automatic promotion!

A big thanks for watching, it's much appreciated!

I know you don't wanna talk about it, but can I assume you've terminated the trials of the entire academy intake? And is the HoYD toast, too?

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I know you don't wanna talk about it, but can I assume you've terminated the trials of the entire academy intake? And is the HoYD toast, too?

I have to keep them as we have no under 18's for the league otherwise. It's safe to say I'll be putting an advert out for another new HoYD in the summer!

7 hours ago, coady said:

I have to keep them as we have no under 18's for the league otherwise. It's safe to say I'll be putting an advert out for another new HoYD in the summer!

As I mention in my story, I inadvertently hit on the magic formula for (almost) ensuring quality intake - invest in junior coaching and youth recruitment. They are relatively cheap (certainly compared to upgrading training facilities). By nagging your chairman to enhance youth recruitment a couple of times per year you'll get big-star potential in no time; in Torquay's case you've got a huge hinterland to exploit and probably in the next season or two you'll be the equals of Exter and Plymouth to have the whole South-West to suck in.

I was excited for this years because I'd had 2 Junior Coaching & 1 Youth Recruitment upgrade. They reject around half of my Recruitment requests, which seems strange when developing youth is an agreed club philosophy. If we can go up and finish this season in profit, there's absolutely no excuse for the board!

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! We're trying our best to throw away the title today, will we be able to get over the line?

Thanks for watching!

Ah, the troughs and peaks over 90 minutes of football management. Nothing beats it!

Edited by phnompenhandy
spoilers!

20 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Ah, the troughs and peaks over 90 minutes of football management. Nothing beats it!

We certainly got through most of the emotions in that one. The 2 games before it were awful too!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! We're starting our first season in League One against Rotherham United, after reviewing another busy summer of transfers!

A massive thanks for watching!

Your attacking full-backs look interesting. I wonder if it might be a good compromise position for Williams.

The best thing about your videos is that you commentate more as a fan than a pundit, so surely you've got to cover the Luton game? It will be hilarious hearing you trying to focus your excitement on your own team rather than the opposition!

16 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Your attacking full-backs look interesting. I wonder if it might be a good compromise position for Williams.

The best thing about your videos is that you commentate more as a fan than a pundit, so surely you've got to cover the Luton game? It will be hilarious hearing you trying to focus your excitement on your own team rather than the opposition!

I would love to play Williams there, but I don't have any capable alternatives on the wing + he does give us a big more solidity in front of a full back. 

Thanks, I try to be like a fan as loving football is my strength. I don't have the creativity & imagination for the massive back stories others (including yourself) produce. 

I'm not going to do the first Luton game. However, there's a Maidstone & Luton double header at the start of the January transfer window which I've got big plans for.  After the week Luton have had, I think I'd be too biased towards them! 

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today my vocal chords channel their inner Sean Dyche, as we play Bolton Wanderers after some more transfer news.

Thanks for watching as always!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today we face the reputable Sheffield Wednesday, as we continue to adapt to life in League 1. There's also more news from strange sell-on clauses!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today we face a top half Premier League team for the first time this series, as Aston Villa visit us in the FA Cup. We also discuss our plans for the January transfer window at Torquay.

Thanks for watching!

What a thrilling game! Owen Jack - a living example of how real people are not just a set of numbers, right? ;)

I'd've been caught out by the rule change too - I assume it 's due to the winter World Cup, thanks to FIFA. Living where I do, I'm well aware of how corruption at the top affects the little people at grassroots level. It's a shame, as I too was rooting for a draw as I've been to Villa Park for an FA Cup match - semi-final with Plymouth Argyle - prolly before you were born, ha ha! Would've got a massive gate and set you up financially very handsomely.

Thoughts about strengthening - I had ideas before watching this terrific game which undermines my thoughts somewhat, but looking at the games you've played I noticed you keep very few clean sheets, so how about firming up at the back? Is it your full-backs or DM that's the weak spot? You have a DM loanee from Sheff Wednesday on your list who looks the part, but that's an area I'd be looking at as well as on the flanks.

Edited by phnompenhandy

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 05:07, phnompenhandy said:

What a thrilling game! Owen Jack - a living example of how real people are not just a set of numbers, right? ;)

I'd've been caught out by the rule change too - I assume it 's due to the winter World Cup, thanks to FIFA. Living where I do, I'm well aware of how corruption at the top affects the little people at grassroots level. It's a shame, as I too was rooting for a draw as I've been to Villa Park for an FA Cup match - semi-final with Plymouth Argyle - prolly before you were born, ha ha! Would've got a massive gate and set you up financially very handsomely.

Thoughts about strengthening - I had ideas before watching this terrific game which undermines my thoughts somewhat, but looking at the games you've played I noticed you keep very few clean sheets, so how about firming up at the back? Is it your full-backs or DM that's the weak spot? You have a DM loanee from Sheff Wednesday on your list who looks the part, but that's an area I'd be looking at as well as on the flanks.

The penalty stat for him is baffling! A composed finisher, who should in theory score 8 in 20 penalties. Do I continue with that theory and assume he's scoring 7 of his next 10? He's not inconsistent, doesn't dread big games and has good composure. It all adds up quite well until he steps up.

It does seem to be a one off for the World Cup, I definitely had a replay last season. I love Villa Park, I watched Dion Dublin make Luton look a Sunday League team in a League Cup tie there years ago.

I agree defensively, but my scouts just cannot find better full backs that are affordable. Unfortunately, most players at this level are on 4-6k a week, which we just can't compete with. RB is definitely a weakness for us, so we may have to try another young signing to be developed (as the idea was with Carl Roberts. I normally try to get Rhys Williams back during every transfer window too!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status!

In this episode, we take a slightly different approach. We face Luton Town, analysing the progress of the club I support. After that, we assess the meteoric rise of Maidstone United, who have climbed the football pyramid with us over the last 5 seasons!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today we reflect on a transfer window in which we were tested to the limit! Will we still suffer be suffering a hangover from that as we face promotion favourites Charlton Athletic?

Thanks for watching!

Following a testing January transfer window, we're back tomorrow with our Torquay series. We look at our third youth intake at the club, our mentoring groups for developing young talent in the first team squad & continue our playoff chase with a game against the MK Dons franchise.

In the meantime, catch up with our mid-season transfers in the last episode above.

Edited by coady

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we review our youth intake, mentoring groups & inconsistent form. We then play a massive game in the race for the playoffs against MK Dons.

Thanks for watching as always!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, we play our final game of the League One season against Shrewsbury Town FC & discuss our big transfer plans for the squad next season.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to the first 5 year review from my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today we place our first bookmark in the story, reflecting on our first 5 years at Torquay. We also take a broader look at the footballing world.

Thanks for watching!

Just out of interest, what happens in this one if you get sacked? I assume game over?

English clubs are dominating Europe because you've got the English league loaded up. If you don't have foreign leagues on the go, England will win the World Cup ad infinitum too!

22 hours ago, wobbly007 said:

Just out of interest, what happens in this one if you get sacked? I assume game over?

Correct, this series would be over. However, I always have a few plans in case of this:-

1. If I get sacked early enough (any time up to April IRL), I have a couple of backup long term challenges to start instead.

2. If it's within a few months of FM20 I'd do a short term challenge that interests me.

3. Ideally, there would be a really interesting job available that could take over in the current game. This is always my preference and I enjoy FM more once the real players are gone and it's largely regens.

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

English clubs are dominating Europe because you've got the English league loaded up. If you don't have foreign leagues on the go, England will win the World Cup ad infinitum too!

Normally I'd agree with this. Based on this logic, the equivalent review episode of The Head Coach tomorrow should see much more variety. I do think, however, some of the top English teams are drastically overrated anyway.

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, we review a busy summer transfer window, introduce our new tactics & play our first game of the League 1 season against Gillingham FC.

A massive thanks for watching, it's much appreciated!

No worries, I ALWAYS start the season slowly, don't you?

I've just started a new campaign with a level 12 file, taking on Totnes & Dartington. With Torquay being just down the road I've made the U's local rivals for the future, and have half the squad being born there. It's proper amateur stuff so I'll probably never catch up with Torquay, but it'll be fun trying.

18 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

No worries, I ALWAYS start the season slowly, don't you?

I've just started a new campaign with a level 12 file, taking on Totnes & Dartington. With Torquay being just down the road I've made the U's local rivals for the future, and have half the squad being born there. It's proper amateur stuff so I'll probably never catch up with Torquay, but it'll be fun trying.

Normally I'd say I start the season well then gradually fade. However, in this series we've generally got better during the season (with the exception of last year). 

It depends how you do the transfers at that level. If you're using the player search screen, I think you'll be able to catch Torquay. 

It's something I'm definitely tempted to do in FM20! My most local side are in tier 9, so could be a fun challenge for next year's edition. 

1 hour ago, coady said:

It depends how you do the transfers at that level. If you're using the player search screen, I think you'll be able to catch Torquay. 

Nah, Academy Challenge. I've started by putting in the real players from info gleaned off their Facebook pages. They're mostly old and useless and I'm struggling to keep my job. I think I'll need at least two years of academy kids coming through to put in a first promotion challenge.

14 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Nah, Academy Challenge. I've started by putting in the real players from info gleaned off their Facebook pages. They're mostly old and useless and I'm struggling to keep my job. I think I'll need at least two years of academy kids coming through to put in a first promotion challenge.

That'll be much more difficult then! I'm always tempted to try an academy save as I really enjoy following them, however, I never end up enjoying playing anything that isn't as realistic as possible. A bit of a strange one really!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, we're in a panic as the loan window is about to close. After that, we face league leaders Wigan Athletic in an action packed episode!

A big thanks for watching as always!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, it's by far the biggest game of the series so far as we face Spurs in the Carabao Cup.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, in a complete contrast to the previous episode against Spurs, we have a reminder of how far we've come as we face Bath City in the FA Cup First Round. 

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, it's New Years Day and the January transfer window is open! We'll discuss our ideas but they'll have to wait, as we're focused on a local derby against Plymouth Argyle FC.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! Today, it's an unintended transfer deadline day special, as we deal with offers galore for our excellent young players!

Thanks for watching!

McComb- you sell him for proper money then get him back for free and don't even pay a penny of his wages! Madness. So does it mean he's fully gelled with the squad too?

Following in your footsteps, sort of, I'm firing up a new save playing two managers, both at level 12. In Scotland, I'm with an amateur club commencing a DoF journeyman career, whilst in England my L12 club is part-time and that's an Academy Challenge. Both are expecting 2nd place finishes which is stressful - the job I just got fired from I was 2 points off promotion and I wasn't even told to get promoted!

McComb- you sell him for proper money then get him back for free and don't even pay a penny of his wages! Madness. So does it mean he's fully gelled with the squad too?

Following in your footsteps, sort of, I'm firing up a new save playing two managers, both at level 12. In Scotland, I'm with an amateur club commencing a DoF journeyman career, whilst in England my L12 club is part-time and that's an Academy Challenge. Both are expecting 2nd place finishes which is stressful - the job I just got fired from I was 2 points off promotion and I wasn't even told to get promoted!

That was a lovely bonus to bring him back on loan (it looked like a good deal for the club until the Richards one).

I find it impossible to manage 2 clubs in one save, so it'll be interesting to see how long before you're tempted to prioritise one completely!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! 

Today, we've got a big double header from two competitions. Firstly, we play promotion chasing Lincoln City in EFL League 1. We then play our FA Cup fifth round tie against Championship side Bristol City. Can we reach a remarkable 1/4 final?

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, Part of the Furniture. In this one club LLM challenge, I attempt to take Torquay United from the lowest playable division in non league to legendary status! In this episode, we face Premier League holders Liverpool in the FA Cup 1/4 final. We also see our latest youth intake, which finally includes a good player!

Thanks for watching!

Did well to keep the score down but you were never competing with Liverpool. Will take a long time to be in with a chance at that level. Five years on and that Liverpool side is hardly different to today, showing the lack of activity of the AI.

The Checkatrade is a different kettle of fish - you should be on for a double in the run in now.

Did well to keep the score down but you were never competing with Liverpool. Will take a long time to be in with a chance at that level. Five years on and that Liverpool side is hardly different to today, showing the lack of activity of the AI.

The Checkatrade is a different kettle of fish - you should be on for a double in the run in now.

I agree, I was impressed by the defensive effort though! To an extent a lack of activity, but in fairness it's a side that didn't need much. I've just checked too and they have signed the likes of Joao Felix, Gelson Martins & Breel Embolo too... they just didn't need to risk them against us! Not to mention Gomez & Alexander Arnold are now worth a combined 150m.

I'm not sure about the trip to Wembley... we do occasionally wilt on the most important of occasions!