FM19 - The Head Coach (The Journeyman with a twist)

coady

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Did you see Dele Alli and Son (plus Slabhead) sat on their bench! Well played, considering.

I honestly though we were going to get a thrashing, so I was more than pleased to actually compete well! It fills me with confidence now the squad seems to be gelling quite nicely.

7 hours ago, wobbly007 said:

Regarding transfers and loans, do you list players for either transfer or loan and then leave it up to the Director of Football to find them a club, or do you not even get involved with the status of the player in that respect?

For youngsters, I've had to resort to loan listing them as nothing tends to happen otherwise in terms of offers. For transfers out, I leave it to the Director of Football. They normally accept bids for squad players enough anyway & generally the players you don't play end up on the transfer list by request as it is.

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we face playoff chasers Ipswich Town FC, as we start a tough run of games against the top sides!

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday. 

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we face leaders Leicester City FC, managed by Gareth Southgate. We also look ahead to a big January transfer window for our Director of Football!

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday.

Thanks for watching!

17 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

You'll make the play-offs easy.

Best thing Dougie could do is to get Cooky on a permanent deal - any chance?

Would weaken your squad if ol' Joanna Lumley was to leave - hope no deals come in for him. Balotelli - I'd encourage Dougie to give him away!

I'm not so sure about that. I think because we don't score many goals, I often fear a poor run is never far away. I think Cook is out of contract when the season finishes, so hopefully he'll try to sign him then (if his physicals don't decline massively at 33). GK is the one position I'm really worried about. We nearly lost Lumley in the summer, and the same again could cripple our season. I can't encourage Balotelli, but he's not too happy about being a reserve, so I'd like to think he'll force his way out!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, we reflect on our Director of Football's busy January Transfer Window, before facing fellow promotion chasers Watford FC.

Thanks for watching!

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

With them foreigners Dougie's brought in, what are your rules re. Brexit?

In both saves I've had the same soft one I think. No restrictions other than the max. 17 'foreign' classified players in the squad rule.

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we play our third big Yorkshire derby of the month, as we face Sheffield United in the EFL Championship. We also meet the stars from our latest youth intake at Barnsley FC!

Thanks for watching!

Quick question - when you started this save with Hemel Hempstead, how long did it take before you got a DoF? I'm starting in level 12 with an amateur side and  I hadn't thought through the possibility that I might not find one!

EDIT: actually, scratch that - I'm starting again. In the spirit of L12 amateur pub teams, I've added a hapless DoF-cum-HoYD to the DoF Challenge team and a chairman who doubles up as HoYD to the other - the Academy Challenge side. I'll write off yesterday as a trial run where I played about 30 pre-season friendlies in total, winning 2 and keeping a grand total of zero clean sheets. I'm finding at this level in FM19 the players are visibly more crap than they've ever been in previous versions!

18 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Quick question - when you started this save with Hemel Hempstead, how long did it take before you got a DoF? I'm starting in level 12 with an amateur side and  I hadn't thought through the possibility that I might not find one!

EDIT: actually, scratch that - I'm starting again. In the spirit of L12 amateur pub teams, I've added a hapless DoF-cum-HoYD to the DoF Challenge team and a chairman who doubles up as HoYD to the other - the Academy Challenge side. I'll write off yesterday as a trial run where I played about 30 pre-season friendlies in total, winning 2 and keeping a grand total of zero clean sheets. I'm finding at this level in FM19 the players are visibly more crap than they've ever been in previous versions!

I assigned my chairman to do it immediately in staff responsibilities, it's very rare they haven't got someone in post within 2-3 weeks. I did notice when playing around with a tier 10 database earlier in the year that there are a distinct lack of DoF candidates.

I think the only easy way to do it is a joint HOYD/DOF, as there are too few people for these roles at those levels.

3 hours ago, coady said:

I assigned my chairman to do it immediately in staff responsibilities, it's very rare they haven't got someone in post within 2-3 weeks. I did notice when playing around with a tier 10 database earlier in the year that there are a distinct lack of DoF candidates.

I think the only easy way to do it is a joint HOYD/DOF, as there are too few people for these roles at those levels.

Yeah, I guess using a database that low isn't catered for by SI. Currently, no one will accept the wages our board is offering, so I'm going forward with the HOYD/DOF, idiot assman and me only. No coaches, physio or scout - proper half-assed lower league football. Training is a half-star across the board - lovely challenge!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, it's the final day of the EFL Championship Season and we still have a chance of stealing the final playoff place from West Brom. Can we beat Millwall FC and grab our place in the top 6?

Thanks for watching as always!

Shame about that late-season wobble, but really another season in the Championship could see you build a really strong side - for me, a lot depends on Cookie staying another year and keeping fit.

You mention the Leicester job could come up - so too could another white rose club - Leeds. They look like getting relegated, ending up in the same division as you but with higher reputation and more resources - and they'll have parachute money. Dunno if the board are as unstable as ever, but you might like to check out their DoF now, 'cos I'd say that's more a probability than a possibility.

14 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Shame about that late-season wobble, but really another season in the Championship could see you build a really strong side - for me, a lot depends on Cookie staying another year and keeping fit.

You mention the Leicester job could come up - so too could another white rose club - Leeds. They look like getting relegated, ending up in the same division as you but with higher reputation and more resources - and they'll have parachute money. Dunno if the board are as unstable as ever, but you might like to check out their DoF now, 'cos I'd say that's more a probability than a possibility.

Unfortunately, that important part depends on Dougie Freedman! I don't think he'll keep him from what I've seen so far, there have been no signs at all.

We're on 9k a week, which for a Championship club is fairly modest. If we get a chance to double/triple our wage, particularly for Leeds which is around the corner, I can't say no according to the realistic rules of this series. Even an unstable board and a possible early sacking guarantees me a massive pay off!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today we meet our new transfers and assess our Director of Football's work in the market, including some much needed firepower up front! We also play our first game of the EFL Championship season against Peterborough United FC.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, we've got more transfer news as our Director of Football finalises our squad for the year. We also face EFL Championship promotion favourites Sunderland, who are wounded after relegation from the Premier League.

Thanks for watching!

Your attack force is clearly Premier league quality - pity two of them are loanees but maybe if you get promotion you can get one of them permanently. It's just a question of whether your defence can hold up - doing okay so far but the squad is a bit thin should injuries mount up. Looking good anyway.

14 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Your attack force is clearly Premier league quality - pity two of them are loanees but maybe if you get promotion you can get one of them permanently. It's just a question of whether your defence can hold up - doing okay so far but the squad is a bit thin should injuries mount up. Looking good anyway.

I would imagine both loanees will be starting for their parent clubs next season. However, as you rightly say, we're only two long term defensive injuries from a crisis! If we avoid that, I'm confident of the playoffs!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, it's 1ST v 2ND in the EFL Championship, as our high flying Barnsley FC side face title favourites Blackburn Rovers FC.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, we face another top of the table clash against 6th place West Brom. We're also starting to attract interest from Premier League strugglers and I need your advice!

Thanks for watching as always!

Ha ha, when I saw "Coady set to take over at Wolves," I thought it was Connor Coady!

If you stay at Barnsley you'll take them up. If you move to Wolves, with half a season to bed in, you'll finish above the likes of Stoke and Millwall and keep them up.

Can you know the board's expectations before accepting the job?

But Wolves are the bigger club, have greater resources, so according to your criteria, you gotta take it, right?

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 04:46, phnompenhandy said:

Ha ha, when I saw "Coady set to take over at Wolves," I thought it was Connor Coady!

If you stay at Barnsley you'll take them up. If you move to Wolves, with half a season to bed in, you'll finish above the likes of Stoke and Millwall and keep them up.

Can you know the board's expectations before accepting the job?

But Wolves are the bigger club, have greater resources, so according to your criteria, you gotta take it, right?

Haha.Ironically he's still on the books at Wolves, on loan out at Sunderland. So in theory, we could yet end up managing him!

It's such a tough decision and I keep getting linked with new jobs every week, so I will have to make a decision to maintain realism soon. Their expectations in the interview were 'mid-table finish', but we had problems with that when we joined Barnsley!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, I need you to help me decide my career path, as we have three difficult options to choose between. Do we stay at Barnsley, move on to Wolves, or take up a surprise third opportunity?

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, following your overwhelming decision, we'll be leaving Barnsley for Newcastle United. Join me as we meet the squad, staff and decide a tactic for our new club.

Thanks for watching!

On 03/03/2019 at 00:52, coady said:

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, I need you to help me decide my career path, as we have three difficult options to choose between. Do we stay at Barnsley, move on to Wolves, or take up a surprise third opportunity?

Thanks for watching!

I'm late to the party as per, but with Ashley gone, it's a no-brainer to me. Gotta go to Toon! One thing I noticed though - they don't currently have a Director of Football. They can't bring back Joe F. Kinnear 'cos 'es dead, so you might need to sort one out yourself.

On 04/03/2019 at 17:37, phnompenhandy said:

I'm late to the party as per, but with Ashley gone, it's a no-brainer to me. Gotta go to Toon! One thing I noticed though - they don't currently have a Director of Football. They can't bring back Joe F. Kinnear 'cos 'es dead, so you might need to sort one out yourself.

I knew realistically I had to, but part of me was attached to Barnsley and wanted to finish the job! Joe Kinnear's not dead is he? I'm sure he's been at a Luton game this season. The DOF appointment is the most important thing though, with the right man, we could rise very quickly!

7 hours ago, wobbly007 said:

It's certainly going to be interesting to see if you can turn Newcastle into title challengers.  Good luck with this one!

Thanks! I hope we can, it just depends largely on the chairman & Director of Football. We've started slowly at most clubs, but when we've been given time to build a side we've always succeeded. This is going to be a massive rebuilding job though, with 2/3's of the squad over 30!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we manage our first ever game in the Premier League with Newcastle United and it couldn't be much more difficult, as we face Chelsea! Will we live to regret leaving Barnsley?

A big thanks for watching as always!

Interesting you're looking to poach a Dof From Palace - you're last one at Barnsley, Dougie Freeman is at Palace IRL - did he come from there in your save?

The game at Stoke immediately before the Carabao Cup tie looks a must-win - you could show that if Chelsea wallop you in the first leg.

Goalkeepers are impressive at this level - I can't help comparing to my level 12 amateurish sloths in my current save!

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Interesting you're looking to poach a Dof From Palace - you're last one at Barnsley, Dougie Freeman is at Palace IRL - did he come from there in your save?

The game at Stoke immediately before the Carabao Cup tie looks a must-win - you could show that if Chelsea wallop you in the first leg.

Goalkeepers are impressive at this level - I can't help comparing to my level 12 amateurish sloths in my current save!

It's a weird cycle isn't it? We benefit from Freedman joining Barnsley from Palace in game  and now we've moved to Newcastle and our chairman has stolen Freedman's replacement! The moral of this one... if you need a DoF, always check Palace.

There are a few just win games in that spell. Stoke are so close to us, Wolves are down their and we obviously rejected them. However, I think I've proven in this series how much I love domestic cups. I know it's very unusual for someone of my generation, but I seem to have subconsciously given them preference throughout both series.

I guess I've been quite lucky with GK's in both series. Bass was EFL standard for Torquay from the start and from Slough onwards in this one we've always had good shot stoppers. I'm planning to start the one club save with a smaller club in Fm20 though, so I could be in for a tougher time then!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, we face Chelsea in the Carabao Cup Semi Final, with a place at Wembley up for grabs. Can we take Newcastle United to the final and prove our decision to leave Barnsley was a good one? 

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 9 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today we face Arsenal in the FA Cup Quarter Final, but first we meet our first youth intake at Newcastle United, hoping for some special talent to improve our squad!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 10 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, we remarkably play an FA Cup Semi Final against Millwall FC at Wembley! We're favourites for a place in the final, but will we hold our nerve?

Thanks for watching!

13 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Wow! Dramatic season finale up next!

I certainly wouldn't have predicted it at the start of the season. It's going to be a very tough one though!

Welcome to Season 7 Episode 11 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, we lead Newcastle into an FA Cup final against Tottenham Hotspur, as we look to win our first trophy of the series. We also review our squad performances and catch up with our old club Barnsley!

Thanks for watching!

9 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

On paper, the result looks decent for you. For goodness sake, as you strengthen the squad for next season, don't leave yourself in a position where you have to give a debut to a raw kid in a cup final!

Unfortunately, that's up to the Director of Football as always. Now we've got a world class one, I hope he'll know how to balance a squad far more adequately! I agree it's not the worst result, but it's such as shame to have those circumstances for such a massive moment in my career.

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today we review all the summer transfers in & out of Newcastle United, as arranged by our director of football. We also play our first game of the Premier League season against Burnley FC.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode we head to Manchester City, as we try to continue our promising start to the season. Surprisingly, we also have some more transfer news.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we head to Chelsea at the start of a hectic Christmas period in the Premier League, as we look to continue our European push.

Thanks for watching!

1st January - away to Spurs. Hmm.

If they offer you the job, you sure you're not duty-bound to take it? They must have a higher reputation as an established Top 6 side - now with a few trophies? Is their new stadium bigger than St. James? The ticket prices will be higher, so higher income. You have a good chance of winning the Premier League in the next season or two with 'Toon, but isn't the challenge to keep moving to 'bigger' clubs? Intriguing.

12 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

1st January - away to Spurs. Hmm.

If they offer you the job, you sure you're not duty-bound to take it? They must have a higher reputation as an established Top 6 side - now with a few trophies? Is their new stadium bigger than St. James? The ticket prices will be higher, so higher income. You have a good chance of winning the Premier League in the next season or two with 'Toon, but isn't the challenge to keep moving to 'bigger' clubs? Intriguing.

Similar to the one before, where we left Barnsley for Newcastle. Deep down, I know I'll have to leave if we get the offer, even though I'm loving life at Newcastle. However, my reputation is still significantly below Tottenham's, so I highly doubt we'll get an offer.

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, we are reunited with our former club Barnsley for a Premier League clash. We also look at our Director of Football's work in the transfer market so far.

Thanks for watching!

11 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Woah, do you recall ever playing as one-sided match as that?

Certainly not in a league game. It almost resembled a Premier League v Non League FA Cup tie, even before the sending off. It shows just how far this side has come since we've taken over, but may also show our biggest downfall. No complaints about the season so far though, that's for sure!

Welcome to Season 8 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today we face Liverpool in the FA Cup, as we continue our run towards a first trophy of the series. We also talk about Rice.

Thanks for watching!

Archived