Sports Interactive Community
DefinitelyTaylor

[FM19] Les Gones - Olympique Lyonnais

1200px-Olympique_Lyonnais.svg.png

1200px-Parc_OL.jpg

b2d030fcff0c5ded33949d478e8a2692.png

d068e4a291c0463c4a4bf6c9a27f8639.png

Hello and thanks for clicking! This is will be my first, proper attempt at a FM career update thread and I'll be doing it on the FM19 Beta with Olympique Lyonnais!

I have been planning to start a save with the French giants for a while now, as it will allow me to settle into the new game; but also provide a challenge to topple the riches of PSG and Monaco - restoring the Lyon dynasty.

For this save, I have loaded the following countries and leagues: Belgium (Pro League only), England (Vanarama National North/South), France (National 2), Germany (Bundesliga 2.), Holland (Jupiler League), Italy (Serie B), Portugal (Portuguese Premier League only), Scotland (Ladbrokes League 2), Spain (Second Division).

Let the fun commence. Allez Lyon!

29 minutes ago, john1 said:

Good luck with Lyon :cool: Cracking players in midfielders! 

Thanks mate! Totally agree and that's part of the reason I was lured in by Lyon.

2018/19 Pre-Season

7a6476afae7f49949fb61eba26a4b060.png

All-in-all, a pretty comfortable pre-season taking on weaker opposition. Rijeka proved to be the only difficulty, as you'd expect with them being the strongest side of the bunch - but even they were swept aside quite comfortably.

fec950c7ad7c2bb6df5269973a73b25b.png

No surprises there. We are predicted to finish behind the two riches and provide the best of the competition from elsewhere.

Arrival:

72d5c7e38855b3d6d0913582377d1dd4.png
Our only signing of the window so far is central-midfielder Jose Campana, who was brought in from Levante for £7.25M.

There are a few targets in mind for the remaining few weeks of the window; so hopefully we'll be able to add to our business before the window closes.

Edited by DefinitelyTaylor

Good luck, man!  You'll always find people in favor of knocking off PSG...

giphy.gif

Best of luck. Hope you can keep Fekir or at least make a gazillion dollars off him.

10 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Good luck, man!  You'll always find people in favor of knocking off PSG...

giphy.gif

:lol: That's great.

1 hour ago, kidthekid said:

Best of luck. Hope you can keep Fekir or at least make a gazillion dollars off him.

Haha. I rate Fekir highly and he's a huge part to this team, arguably the heartbeat to it - so it's important we don't let go for cheap, if he does leave!

August Update:

88409f706c9530ae80fc8695a169038d.png

A mixed bag of results, which was quite disappointing as I saw this as an opportunity to get off to a good start and record maximum points. Memphis Depay managed my debut game with a hat-trick, as we beat Amiens comfortably. 

Stade de Reims have been the surprise package so far and took advantage of us not taking our chances on the day. That was a similar story in the draw to Strasbourg, as Depay scored a free-kick late on to rescue a point.

Have we actually lost the title in August? :lol:

(Stupidly, I forgot to screenshot the table! So, here is a screenshot with the first game of September included...)

b8571ab29e74cbddda8dbbe3f78a540e.png

PSG unsurprisingly with a 100% record... :ackter:

Arrival:

4be14bad015349718a69cc76f3af402a.png

We brought in Atlanta United striker Josef Martinez for £5.5M to provide competition for Moussa Dembele. We were aiming to bring in other options, in which included Layvin Kurzawa from PSG among other names; however we were unable to acquire them due to high wage demands, or a lack of interest, unfortunately.

Champions League:

07ff151d4db7dbcb085a446a6e9f4270.png

Our Champions League campaign will begin with a home tie to Dortmund, before facing Atletico and Galatasaray. Certainly not the easiest of groups and it'll be a tough ask to get out of it - however, I am marking Dortmund as our competition for second and it's imperative we gain positive results against them, as well as beat Galatasaray if we want to make it through.

Tough group for sure, but I suspect the Europa League slot is yours at the worst. Very possible to get through, especially if Dortmund or Atletico slip up.

18 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Tough group for sure, but I suspect the Europa League slot is yours at the worst. Very possible to get through, especially if Dortmund or Atletico slip up.

Definitely. I would be content with third place - but there's no reason as to why we can't aim for better than that.

September Update:

2fb0e53f0cfbbf25046a79465f8a7900.png

And that's how to respond to a poor start! :D 

We blown Nice out the water, followed by Caen to claim six relatively easy points. This was followed up by a bore-draw to begin our Champions League campaign against Dortmund. Surprisingly, Atletico lost 1-0 in Turkey to Galatasaray and this has made the group very interesting from the off.

We beat Marseille 4-1 to continue to pile the misery on Les Olympiens - who have managed just one win so far. 

The month was concluded with a win to Dijon, thanks to Depay's 94th minute winner in a close affair - the hosts certainly shown why they had started so well. Finally, we beat Nantes - where two penalties were converted by Fekir, alongside goals for Ndombele, Campana and Denayer.

67a9cd5eb95bc006b21f67aadc9f5efa.png

A perfect month has seen us rise to second, following Rennes 3-0 loss at Toulouse. PSG also dropped points on the final weekend of the month, allowing Nice to come from 2-0 down to a claim a point. :D 

Title race back on?

9bc86e7f12e8639d9d7e37d306148281.png

Special mention to Tanguy Ndombele who has been an absolute revelation so far. Scoring 5 goals from 8 games - he has been a key part to the success over the past month. At only 21, he has a lot of potential to improve and I am very much looking forward to seeing his development over the course of the season.

Lyon is a name I saw a lot on 'recommended save' lists prior to the game, and I only heard about that Ndombele guy on BBC a few weeks ago - starting to see why they're such an attractive prospect. Can you see yourself ever cashing on guys like him and Fekir or do you think they'll be around for the long haul? Also, how is Dembele getting on for you? bviously him heading to Lyon was a pretty big story for us in Scotland over the summer. Never quite rated him as the level FM seems to when I've watched him play.

34 minutes ago, King Cactus said:

Lyon is a name I saw a lot on 'recommended save' lists prior to the game, and I only heard about that Ndombele guy on BBC a few weeks ago - starting to see why they're such an attractive prospect. Can you see yourself ever cashing on guys like him and Fekir or do you think they'll be around for the long haul? Also, how is Dembele getting on for you? bviously him heading to Lyon was a pretty big story for us in Scotland over the summer. Never quite rated him as the level FM seems to when I've watched him play.

So did I. I was thinking of doing them and after seeing their name crop up on so many shortlists, with real strong reasoning to select them - I was convinced. I remember Ndombele from last FM when he was at Lyon on loan from Amiens, but I don't really remember him too much. I seem to recall Lyon activating his clause to join often though. 

Truth be told - I'm not sure. If not the price is right then perhaps I could be tempted into selling him, but a part of me thinks that if a club shows interest anyway he'll want to leave, which wouldn't give me any choice really. I would certainly make sure that a suitable replacement is available and ensure the club isn't take a huge step backwards. 

Dembele has barely featured due to injury, mainly. He scored on the opening day vs Amiens - but then went on to play really poorly in two other fixtures, before being dropped for Martinez vs Nice and then getting injured. He's just returned (start of October) so perhaps he'll be given an opportunity should Martinez drop off. 

1b1fa65d80815e126ab03fc09f9263b0.png

October Update:

d5b199e62a81a99fac63e1b97f042ee8.png

A great month once again, really. The Atletico result is quite misleading - we were chasing the game in the final 10 minutes looking for an equaliser, in which Atletico were able to pile on the misery. 

The PSG result was particularly pleasing given heavy rotation was needed due to a mixture of tiredness and injury. It seemed all three points were on the cards after a free-kick from Fekir, however Cavani tucked home a low cross to share the spoils.

Victories against Nimes and Angers were hard fought. Depay is proving to be the man to rely on late on, sealing a 93rd minute winner against Nimes - a tricky opposition who are doing remarkably well in their debut season in Ligue 1. A late goal from Josef Martinez doubled our lead after a Traore free-kick in order to keep the pressure on PSG.

In-between those fixtures we took on Galatasaray, who had beaten Atletico and drawn with Dortmund heading into our clash. A penalty from Fekir gave us the lead just before HT and more late drama followed. An equaliser with 15 minutes to go seemed to mark the end of the game, however a under-hit back pass was capitalise on by substitute Moussa Dembele; who has rarely featured so far this season, to earn our first victory in Europe this season.

e19ee49e063a00097e58784c24987ba6.png

We are keeping the pressure on PSG at the moment, hopefully they'll slip up soon enough... :rolleyes:

Dijon have started the season fantastically, whereas Marseille and Nice have been woeful - Ligue 1 is proving to be a very interesting league!

49848e71d6ed973d6192197e974f7b1d.png

The group remains very, very tight. Atletico and Dortmund shared the spoils meaning that our return leg at home to Galatasaray serves huge importance to the group. Both places to the knockout phases very much remain up for grabs...

Hahaha Fekir with classic diversion. "Hey boss, my friend wants to move to a bigger club, totally not me... My friend. ;)"

Typical of them! :( I would cash them in to be honest, Cornet, probably ideal replacement for Depay :thup:

I’m enjoying this thread. This is my current team with Lyon. 8 league matches played so far. Depay has been my standout player! Auoar has been class also.

541F88E9-FB1A-42D8-B6C4-E4D821EC9EDF.png

23 hours ago, King Cactus said:

Hahaha Fekir with classic diversion. "Hey boss, my friend wants to move to a bigger club, totally not me... My friend. ;)"

:lol: Little ******! 

22 hours ago, john1 said:

Typical of them! :( I would cash them in to be honest, Cornet, probably ideal replacement for Depay :thup:

Yeah, I can't hold the two of them back if they want to move on. I'm certainly expecting movement to made within the next window.

4 hours ago, r_amanze said:

I’m enjoying this thread. This is my current team with Lyon. 8 league matches played so far. Depay has been my standout player! Auoar has been class also.

541F88E9-FB1A-42D8-B6C4-E4D821EC9EDF.png

I'm glad! You seem to be doing really well - keep it up! :)

November Update:

ecb82717cf8bf9a75db1cca550f791c4.png

An unbeaten month once again, but unfortunately not a 100% record.

We recorded impressive results and performances against Bordeaux and Saint-Etienne in the league, but we dropped points in a 2-2 draw with Guingamp. Substitute Houssam Aouar providing a late equaliser to steal a point in a game where we looked very much second best.

In the Champions League, we managed to topple Galatasaray in an important clash. This was followed up with a 1-1 draw in Germany against Dortmund - which means that both places are very much up for grabs in the final games of the group stages.

bc7221cd269a97d3d2371bbca91f1063.png

After dropping points against Guingamp, I am now pretty much resigned to the fact we will be competing for second place this year. This is progression, to be fair, but I am slightly disappointed that our challenge has faded over the course of this month. Hopefully PSG will drop points somewhere and allow us a slightly opportunity.

72bb2a992b957819f61d3815619bff08.png

Wow. It is incredibly tight in Group B going into the final games. We take on Atletico at home, whilst Dortmund play host to Galatasaray. Fingers crossed we can do enough to make it through... however, a Europa League place is guaranteed at the very minimum.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

November Update:

ecb82717cf8bf9a75db1cca550f791c4.png

An unbeaten month once again, but unfortunately not a 100% record.

We recorded impressive results and performances against Bordeaux and Saint-Etienne in the league, but we dropped points in a 2-2 draw with Guingamp. Substitute Houssam Aouar providing a late equaliser to steal a point in a game where we looked very much second best.

In the Champions League, we managed to topple Galatasaray in an important clash. This was followed up with a 1-1 draw in Germany against Dortmund - which means that both places are very much up for grabs in the final games of the group stages.

bc7221cd269a97d3d2371bbca91f1063.png

After dropping points against Guingamp, I am now pretty much resigned to the fact we will be competing for second place this year. This is progression, to be fair, but I am slightly disappointed that our challenge has faded over the course of this month. Hopefully PSG will drop points somewhere and allow us a slightly opportunity.

72bb2a992b957819f61d3815619bff08.png

Wow. It is incredibly tight in Group B going into the final games. We take on Atletico at home, whilst Dortmund play host to Galatasaray. Fingers crossed we can do enough to make it through... however, a Europa League place is guaranteed at the very minimum.

Hang in there regarding the title race mate. The aim will be to close the gap if possible, going into the December and January fixtures.

13 hours ago, john1 said:

Lets hope Gala do you a favour!

Yeah, hopefully... though I'm not too hopeful.

12 hours ago, r_amanze said:

Hang in there regarding the title race mate. The aim will be to close the gap if possible, going into the December and January fixtures.

It's going to be a tough ask, but hopefully some of the clubs around us can take some results off them. There are lots of 'banana skin' teams in this league - capable of taking a point or so.

December Update:

f03c944d37c8e0fded6136124fd887db.png

December was a busy month in which saw us drop points away from home, again. Every game we have failed to win has been away from home - which is a pain but at least we know where we need to improve.

We only sufficed a draw with Lille, before comfortably beating Rennes. This was followed up by an impressive 1-0 win to Toulouse where (nearly) the whole starting XI was rotated to prioritise the Atletico clash.

Disappointingly, we only managed a 2-1 loss at home to the Spanish giants, but...

1022481a77463009ab4921112b37ddb7.png

Dortmund were smashed 4-0 by Galatasaray which puts us through in second position! :D 

Again, due to fitness, we were forced to shuffle our hand vs Monaco but this didn't phase us as we comfortably beat one of our nearest challengers 3-0.

In the cup, we made a few changes again... however, it was a poor performance and we were taken to penalties. We missed 2 of our 5, but still went on to win... which tells you how poor we both were :lol:.

The month was concluded with a disappointing draw to struggling Montpellier. This was made even more frustrating, as PSG only managed a draw with Nantes earlier in the day... :mad:

635ba4f9d134aa97210594eb4e3ddccf.png

The gap has now opened to seven points between ourselves and PSG, but we have solidified our hold on second spot over Monaco and overachieving Dijon.

Marseille have appointed Jorge Jesus, who is seemingly getting the best out of them and I expect them to push up the table over the coming months. Nice remain in real trouble.

So... who did we draw in the Champions League?

398c2fadad9465c6d0b1d10cced8b18d.png

Spurs! A tough task, but one we definitely have a chance of overcoming.

Congratulations on getting through your group! I hear Spurs get a lot of love on FIFA this year so don't know how OP they'll be on FM, but I'm sure there would have been worse draws. Title starting to slip away a bit which is a shame - do you have the budget for any moves to try and bridge the gap in January? Anyone in mind?

6 minutes ago, King Cactus said:

Congratulations on getting through your group! I hear Spurs get a lot of love on FIFA this year so don't know how OP they'll be on FM, but I'm sure there would have been worse draws. Title starting to slip away a bit which is a shame - do you have the budget for any moves to try and bridge the gap in January? Anyone in mind?

Thanks man :D. I think I've read a thread on here saying that Spurs are indeed rated highly on FM, so I do worry a little - but compared to some of the teams we could have been paired with (Madrid, Bayern...) Spurs are less of a threat. 

I have about £15M or so, left over from the start of the season... the only issue is that I wasn't able to find improvements that were worth the investment. I was finding suitable targets but the wage demands were high, or the clubs were wanting too much money for them. A lot weren't interested in joining either, but hopefully we'll be able to find suitable players this window. I think there could be a few moves, potentially in and out of the club.

January Update:

025897a2ec2c0948234ebc39a928419c.png

A perfect month! :D 

We began with wins in the two cup competitions over Ligue 2 side Clermont Foot and Caen, where we managed to score all five penalties this time. We face Bourg en Bresse in the 10th round of the French Cup.

This was followed up with a win over rivals Saint Etienne and a narrow victory over Stade de Reims, the only side to beat us this campaign. Martin Terrier came off the bench to score a 94th minute winner.

We then piled the misery on against bottom of the table Amiens, before beating Saint Etienne again in the Couple de la Ligue semi final. We will play PSG, who beat Monaco 4-1 to book their place in the final.

0f1b7342a0b9c8f7472584a89d82f19e.png

The gap between ourselves and PSG closes to four due to them not playing on matchday 22.

We have stretched the gap between ourselves and Monaco to thirteen to really consolidate second spot and it seems that's where we'll be finishing. Nothing much to report on really!

Arrival:

3b78124a924b6b48e03884ee541c7791.png

Manuel Akanji has joined on loan until the end of the season from Borussia Dortmund to add further depth at the heart of the defence, where we were short of options.

Additionally, we managed to keep hold of both Nabil Fekir and Memphis Depay, which is a massive boost to the club.

Departures:

b571801410ff8323e6ecf5115ec30a47.png

Jordan Ferri has left for £2,000,000 to join Huddersfield Town. We had far better options in his position and therefore it was in our interests to sell the midfielder. His departure did upset Anthony Lopes, however he has since 'recovered' after a conversation with myself.

124a9d834d1cf91e94c6063b50887f78.png

Rafael will also be leaving the club, however at the end of the season. He will remain with the club until June, before he leaves to return to his native Brazil and join Santos for a fee rising to £3,600,000.

42 minutes ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

I managed to push them to £50,000,000.

Cracking offer! But shame he turned them down!

19 minutes ago, john1 said:

Cracking offer! But shame he turned them down!

Definitely a great offer, however I'm glad to still have his services retained for at least the remainder of this season! :D 

16 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

Ndombele is so underrated in this fm, he's the next big thing in France, not sure why his passing isnt better

He is still a very good player and a massive influence to our 'success' so far this season. I expect he'll progress and develop well as the seasons go on.

19 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

Ndombele is so underrated in this fm, he's the next big thing in France, not sure why his passing isnt better

I agree, He was a beast for me on FM18, before selling him to Juventus for 83M.

February Update:

9432c6e5185f1a6f591cd2692db1c34a.png

I don't know where to begin...:ackter:

The month started positively as we ensured our progression in the French Cup with a win over Ligue 2 side Bourg en Bresse.

Disappointingly, we slumped to an early Mario Balotelli goal to lose 1-0 against Nice.

It was therefore vital we beat PSG to stand any chance of remaining in the title race, in which we failed to do - drawing 0-0 after Martin Terrier could only hit the bar with a close range effort.

Again, we suffered a surprise loss to Guingamp - who have had a fantastic 2019 so far. We offered little threat and it came as no surprise we couldn't find an equaliser.

The Champions League didn't go much better either. :lol: After a lot of early pressure, we caved in after going 1-0 down to a relatively unlucky goal to concede - going on to lose 3-0 at home to Spurs.

However, we did end the month on a positive note. We managed to strengthen our weakened claim of second position by beating third-placed Monaco by two goals to nil. 

Certainly the month from hell... :(

29427f6bff70bcba9bae7443d01cc26a.png

We sit nine points behind PSG with twelve games to go, so realistically we have very little chance of catching them now. It's all about ensuring we finish 2nd - in which we could easily sacrifice the way we've been going! 

Dijon and Guingamp have had fantastic campaigns and it's great to see them both having such impressive seasons. Marseille have recovered after a horrific start. Nice are also pulling themselves away from trouble after a poor campaign. Saint-Etienne are very much not safe though and Lyon fans will be enjoying seeing their rivals struggle I'm sure! :p 

March Update:

ef343d464847c35b48c0361058f5df8d.png

A much better month in terms of results. 

We recorded routine wins against Toulouse, Montpellier and Rennes in the league. 

We just about beat Dijon to make it into the French Cup Quarter Finals also, where we face either St-Etienne or Marseille away from home.

However, there always has to be a disappointing result or two when it comes to us :lol:. We struggled to a 1-1 draw with Strasbourg, where we conceded a sloppy goal to share the points. Following this, we lost 3-0 to Spurs once again to fall to a humiliating 6-0 loss on aggregate. I got an email after the game, where the players refunded the travelling fans - which is something I haven't seen before. A touch of class there. ;) 

ae9c99f34c4578028b9aedec1d6472c1.png

The same as it's always been! PSG have almost sealed the title and we continue to look set for a second place finish. Elsewhere, Dijon continue to go from strength to strength this season. St-Etienne are very much still in danger of relegation.

April Update:

8f39adfe8f7f0ed1a8d1048a5b0951c1.png

Fitness has proven to be a massive issue and it really has affected results, as our grip on second has significantly weakened. 

Losses against Dijon and Bordeaux were disappointing and have been part of a very poor 2019 for Lyon.

A 1-1 draw against Angers didn't help matters either, as we continue to nail down a consistent lineup due to fitness issues.

Unfortunately, we were outclassed by PSG in the Couple de la Ligue Final in a 2-0 defeat. In the second half we came out a better side, but were unable to find a goal to hand us a lifeline. 

Extra-time victories in the French Cup against Marseille and Rennes have allowed us to make it to the final - where we'll take on Monaco after they beat Guingamp 3-2 in their semi final clash.

77bd26fa86e2c38cecd6eff90c9fde78.png

PSG regain their crown. The gap between ourselves and third place has narrowed, as Dijon continue their fantastic season to move up to three and go within just five points of ourselves. 

We face: Lille (H), Marseille (A), Caen (H) and Nimes (A) in our final four fixtures, prior to our French Cup final meeting with Monaco.

Surely, we can't blow second... :onmehead:

End Of Season Update:
bed9c4923db8d8f99ad99047f42757d1.png

A fantastic way to end the season! :D

We managed an unbeaten run to end the season, as we beat Lille, Caen and Nimes. We also managed to come from 2-0 down to record a hard-worked point against Marseille.

Finally, we claimed the French Cup thanks to a 83rd minute free-kick from Memphis Depay. 

So... where did we finish in the table?

d4e963619aeb097400ad8156e8429005.png

We finished 2nd in Ligue 2, eventually 9 points behind PSG and 5 points ahead of surprise package Dijon. 

Elsewhere, Monaco, Marseille and Guingamp claimed Europa League places, whereas Saint-Etienne will play in the relegation playoff to decide whether they will remain in Ligue 1 next season. Amiens and Nimes were relegated.

61f86d1c3c2e6517c29117138249a84a.png

cc17024f8118c3103f7f4f197c4a7b20.png

c0bf5048db1d022a733ca1345d5c3b65.png

b5634cb23d264c4b875af5013e0469c6.png

be9bf3f4c5fecdf1955b77f15d46baf5.png

5a7a27298cd1abed4b661014da9cb2fb.png

That's a very good season all in all, would take a special season or an implosion in Paris to do any better than that, glad to see you got a trophy to show for it, too. Well done.

Fantastic first season, congrats!

One thing I've noticed is that average ratings are a lot lower this FM. Normally after a season like that players like Dembele would have higher ratings and all the starters over 7.0

3 hours ago, King Cactus said:

That's a very good season all in all, would take a special season or an implosion in Paris to do any better than that, glad to see you got a trophy to show for it, too. Well done.

Yeah, PSG are far too strong to challenge at the minute. Hopefully we’ll be able to cement a better challenge next season. 

8 minutes ago, smp20 said:

Fantastic first season, congrats!

One thing I've noticed is that average ratings are a lot lower this FM. Normally after a season like that players like Dembele would have higher ratings and all the starters over 7.0

Yeah, I’m glad the ratings have become a little more realistic. It allows you to reflect on each player a little more time than in the past - rather than be mislead due to them scoring lots etc.

Some unfortunate news... my laptop has had to go in for repair as the hinge has started to come off - so the screen is almost ripping off. I expect to have to it back some time next week, in a fortnight at maximum. :(

Wow Dijon finished 3rd?! :eek: Brilliant season overall, shame you suffered a blip in February. Awesome youth intakes :cool:

Shame your laptop gone to repair :( 

Keep us all updated on Bernard your 14 year old already 6ft Physical Poacher........I have a vision of a tall aggressive Gary Lineker for some reason??? See if you can get him loaned out and start getting some 1st team stats :-)

And well done for a cracking 1st season.