FM19 Training - A Brief Guide

On 07/12/2018 at 07:01, phnompenhandy said:

I refer you to my jokey comment above. Seriously, aiming a ball at a traffic cone is not the same as aiming at the head of a striker who's fending off two burly defenders and the keeper.

Surely crossing is about hitting the right areas in the centre? Which you can do by yourself.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/12/2018 at 17:41, alanschu14 said:

I did say "Many" and not "Most" which was deliberate as I didn't count them, but I was also including the secondary/tertiary focuses.

It's easy enough to review them when setting up sessions. I know when I am doing goalkeeper training that my non-goalies are still going to get work in on crossing.

Yes, but in game can you focus on getting certain players, (eg: wingers and full-backs), on doing the crossing in these sessions.  Particulatrly perhaps a promising young winger that nevertheless needs to work on his crossing.

Surely that happens in real life at professional clubs? If a session is run on say attacking down the wings, a coach will at some point want to get one winger to do most of the crossing practice during the session, rather than another winger?

• SI Staff
On 03/02/2019 at 00:48, mattcanary said:

Surely crossing is about hitting the right areas in the centre? Which you can do by yourself.

This describes crossing a static ball, which is covered by set piece delivery. Crossing in open play requires a fair few other players to be involved, as such it is a unit session rather than individual work. This is why these have been split out as such.

Of course if evidence can be put forwards of real-life sessions differing from this we will review how it currently works.

The bit I still find strange is that instead of goalkeepers having an "additional focus" to do a bit of extra work on to address a weakness in their game, you're forced to devote entire team sessions to "handling", "shot stopping" or "one on ones". Surely catching/reflex practice is far more of an individual/small group session than "attacking" and different keepers can be given different additional drills (especially with multiple goalkeeper coaches at a club)

I can understand there might be gameplay reasons for doing it that way (prevents it from being too easy to "fix" a goalkeeper weakness as only a small number of sessions can be dedicated to it) but just feels odd and confusing, especially when keepers start complaining they're not getting enough attention to their unit because the default schedules don't revolve around goalkeeping

Edited by enigmatic

• SI Staff
On 06/02/2019 at 20:06, enigmatic said:

The bit I still find strange is that instead of goalkeepers having an "additional focus" to do a bit of extra work on to address a weakness in their game, you're forced to devote entire team sessions to "handling", "shot stopping" or "one on ones". Surely catching/reflex practice is far more of an individual/small group session than "attacking" and different keepers can be given different additional drills (especially with multiple goalkeeper coaches at a club)

I can understand there might be gameplay reasons for doing it that way (prevents it from being too easy to "fix" a goalkeeper weakness as only a small number of sessions can be dedicated to it) but just feels odd and confusing, especially when keepers start complaining they're not getting enough attention to their unit because the default schedules don't revolve around goalkeeping

This is something we're reviewing for the future. However, it is not necessarily an "individual" thing like an additional focus, as you say yourself it is done in small groups, i.e. Unit sessions. It's also worth noting that during these GK sessions the outfield players do also work on their outfield roles, they simply are not the focus of the session.

• 2 weeks later...

As I read in the first post that training is completely overhauled for FM19, what topic should I then read for FM18?

I coundn't find a recent one with the search function or the pinned topics in this forum.

Edited by Jorgen

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
45 minutes ago, Ein said:

When you make first team players available for reserves, do they automatically skip training on that day/the following day or do you have to manually rest them?

A player trains according to the squad that they are in. Exception being on days when they are involved in a match for another squad.

• 3 weeks later...

I will do an experiment next season with training: General and overall. Season 1, Season 2 will be overall and extra season with Recovery. After match recovery, match review and team bonding or community outreach. So, a complete balanced approach.

Edited by Guest

May I know what is training intensity? if I have a player working on a new position and also individual focus and I set it as double intensity, does it mean he will work double on those areas?

On 13/03/2019 at 17:53, Cadoni said:

I will do an experiment next season with training: General and overall. Season 1, Season 2 will be overall and extra season with Recovery. After match recovery, match review and team bonding or community outreach. So, a complete balanced approach.

Didn't notice any difference regarding of balanced approach.

- Compared to what?

Compared to detailed units (Att. Wings, Def. Shadow Play etc). Seems whatever is going to use; is going to work with no major effect. I make a decision yesterday to leave training at my AM after playing with training since day one of FM19. Let's see what FM20 brings.

• 3 weeks later...

Even if you download training it may be useless, because each time a fixture changes you will struggle to realise what's more important to your team when you seek to balance the training for a week. 

Lets say you downloaded a training schedule that someone created with a Sunday match day, he will set monday for recovery. You copy that and place it in your schedule, but your matches are Saturday, this messes with your sunday schedule cos it will delete it all. The best thing you can do is understand training in its basic form. What do the different sessions do? What improves tactical familiarity, what are some of the general sessions? Or you can just use the pre created ones, which are very good. I am surprised few people are actually going to them. You should just ask yourself what is important for your team.

When you download a schedule, that person may deem certain attributes more important than others. What if that person has a training schedule that does not balance development evenly? My advice learn the basics at least or..ask the ass man to do it for you. He is not that bad. Just use common sense to include match preparation for big games.

On 05/04/2019 at 03:06, Boomerang Trotter said:

What does Match Preview actually do that makes it important? I don't understand how it is linked to pre-match briefing.

Match preview improves your squads tactical familiarity before a game. I would not worry about how its linked but i would focus on what it actually does.

Currently at work so no chance to check it out but do you guys think it beneficial to plan training after a match but just give the starting 11 a day off?

For example: match on sunday, monday practices are booked but you just give your starting 11 a day off while the rest of the squad trains.

Em 07/04/2019 em 19:17, Rashidi disse:

Even if you download training it may be useless, because each time a fixture changes you will struggle to realise what's more important to your team when you seek to balance the training for a week. 

Lets say you downloaded a training schedule that someone created with a Sunday match day, he will set monday for recovery. You copy that and place it in your schedule, but your matches are Saturday, this messes with your sunday schedule cos it will delete it all. The best thing you can do is understand training in its basic form. What do the different sessions do? What improves tactical familiarity, what are some of the general sessions? Or you can just use the pre created ones, which are very good. I am surprised few people are actually going to them. You should just ask yourself what is important for your team.

When you download a schedule, that person may deem certain attributes more important than others. What if that person has a training schedule that does not balance development evenly? My advice learn the basics at least or..ask the ass man to do it for you. He is not that bad. Just use common sense to include match preparation for big games.

Em 07/04/2019 em 19:19, Rashidi disse:

Match preview improves your squads tactical familiarity before a game. I would not worry about how its linked but i would focus on what it actually does.

Thanks Rashidi. I was using your from the steam workshop but it was difficult to me to understand wich one is the most appropriate

• 1 month later...

A very simple question from a very simple player.  I set an individual player to improve his poor (for example) stamina with extra focus.  After no more than a couple of weeks I get a recommendation to stop this as it is 'no longer a weakness in his game' and yet, as far as I can see, his stat has not altered at all!  Should I ignore the recommendation or what?  Am I being dim here and missing something obvious or is there a bug or what?  I'm confused about this (but then, Im easily confused!).

Edited by Rupal

7 minutes ago, Rupal said:

A very simple question from a very simple player.  I set an individual player to improve his poor (for example) stamina with extra focus.  After no more than a couple of weeks I get a recommendation to stop this as it is 'no longer a weakness in his game' and yet, as far as I can see, his stat has not altered at all!  Should I ignore the recommendation or what?  Am I being dim here and missing something obvious or is there a bug or what?  I'm confused about this (but then, Im easily confused!).

Your staff don't always know what they're talking about or what you are trying to achieve.  In their eyes the stamina might be ok but as there is no way of telling them it falls short of what you want, they tell you it's enough.  Don't pay them any attention.

It is however worth listening to them if they report your player is becoming unhappy with his additional training.  Unhappy players may not train as well as happy ones, affects their morale and may have a knock on effect to match performance.  So I'd suggest always checking on the player's development if you see that sort of message.

22 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Your staff don't always know what they're talking about or what you are trying to achieve.  In their eyes the stamina might be ok but as there is no way of telling them it falls short of what you want, they tell you it's enough.  Don't pay them any attention.

It is however worth listening to them if they report your player is becoming unhappy with his additional training.  Unhappy players may not train as well as happy ones, affects their morale and may have a knock on effect to match performance.  So I'd suggest always checking on the player's development if you see that sort of message.

Thanks very much.  On the subject of being unhappy, I have one or two players who are unhappy with their individual additional training and can't see that it's beneficial.  However these aspects seem to be important skills for the roles which they are  being trained for.  Again, for a simple soul like me, that's confusing.  What ought I to do as there doesn't appear to be an option to have an individual chat with the player about this?   

Edited by Rupal

2 hours ago, Rupal said:

Thanks very much.  On the subject of being unhappy, I have one or two players who are unhappy with their individual additional training and can't see that it's beneficial.  However these aspects seem to be important skills for the roles which they are  being trained for.  Again, for a simple soul like me, that's confusing.  What ought I to do as there doesn't appear to be an option to have an individual chat with the player about this?   

Mentoring might be able to help you here.  If a player moans a lot about training it can indicate low professionalism.  Players like this may not train very well and can moan about it too.  Try setting up a mentoring group with some influential and professional teammates.

In terms of his actual development, how is he doing?  If he's still developing ok and his morale is alright you can probably just ignore him and let mentoring work it's magic.  On the flip side though if he isn't progressing very well you may need to adjust his training to something he's more comfortable with until such time as he gets a more professional outlook on life.

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't get my head round the new training system 😪

There just seem to be way too many things to choose from and I end up spending more time than I would like trying to set it up. I don't trust my ass man to run training as I like to develop my young players myself. 

I have had to go back to playing fm18 as it has put me off

1 hour ago, MShing said:

I don't trust my ass man to run training as I like to develop my young players myself. 

You can still develop your young players by yourself and leave the general training to the ass man.

Then if you have time you can make your own schedules for the general training.

General training is more ''sophisticated'' this year, by playing FM18 for this reason is a step back

• 3 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
On 31/05/2019 at 05:00, MShing said:

I just can't get my head round the new training system 😪

There just seem to be way too many things to choose from and I end up spending more time than I would like trying to set it up. I don't trust my ass man to run training as I like to develop my young players myself. 

I have had to go back to playing fm18 as it has put me off

The Assistant is perfectly capable of running training for you :thup:

I love the new training. I love setting the schedules, tuning it every week.

My only request is that we need to be able to save schedules from the anywhere we can edit them. I like to edit them every Monday am when I get the emails. I need a save button right there. I make a good schedule on the fly, let me save it and import it anywhere else, wherever I want.

Maybe there's a way to do this that I'm missing? I basically just manually create a different schedule every week for all 3 levels.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

• SI Staff
On 21/06/2019 at 16:54, Joey Numbaz said:

I love the new training. I love setting the schedules, tuning it every week.

My only request is that we need to be able to save schedules from the anywhere we can edit them. I like to edit them every Monday am when I get the emails. I need a save button right there. I make a good schedule on the fly, let me save it and import it anywhere else, wherever I want.

Maybe there's a way to do this that I'm missing? I basically just manually create a different schedule every week for all 3 levels.

A workaround for this would be to create it in the inbox item and then navigate to the Calendar (where it should now appear) and go from there. But this is a good suggestion and one we'll take into consideration :thup:

On 20/06/2019 at 14:58, Seb Wassell said:

The Assistant is perfectly capable of running training for you :thup:

Not sure if this was answered before, but apart from perhaps reputation, what other attributes are necessary to make sure the assman is as capable?
I've seen occasions where the preferred formation is route one counter and the assman sets the vertical tiki-taka as the baseline for training.
I haven't tried this, but I also wonder if the assman is capable of changing the training ahead a big match.

Due to limited time, I'm keen to focus more on tactics/players and leave the training to the assman, which is really time consuming.

• SI Staff
9 minutes ago, MadOnion said:

Not sure if this was answered before, but apart from perhaps reputation, what other attributes are necessary to make sure the assman is as capable?
I've seen occasions where the preferred formation is route one counter and the assman sets the vertical tiki-taka as the baseline for training.
I haven't tried this, but I also wonder if the assman is capable of changing the training ahead a big match.

Due to limited time, I'm keen to focus more on tactics/players and leave the training to the assman, which is really time consuming.

The assistant bases his training on:

• His own preferences, eg. style
  • Your tactics
  • Time of season
  • Level of club/players
  • Short term events, eg. X match

The assistant will heavily bias his choices towards the first two on that list, accounting for roughly 4 of every 6 weeks.

The assistant uses the default template schedules. I created these myself, they're balanced and provide a good amount of variety, but can always be tweaked to get that extra 1%.

If you want to leave training to your assistant but ensure it adheres to your footballing philosophy the most important thing to look out for, aside from general ability, is his own preferences.

Thanks Seb.

In short, no point in employing Tony Pullis as your assistant if you play like Klopp right?

Also:

The assistant uses the default template schedules. I created these myself, they're balanced and provide a good amount of variety, but can always be tweaked to get that extra 1%

How do I create a default template schedule? Or do you mean you're the one who actually created the existing templates in the game (tiki taka, bootcamp, etc)?

• SI Staff
28 minutes ago, MadOnion said:

Also:

How do I create a default template schedule? Or do you mean you're the one who actually created the existing templates in the game (tiki taka, bootcamp, etc)?

You can create your own and save them - either via editing an existing one or creating a bran new one from the "schedules" tab.

In terms of those existing schedules that come as default, yes I created those.

53 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

You can create your own and save them - either via editing an existing one or creating a bran new one from the "schedules" tab.

In terms of those existing schedules that come as default, yes I created those.

Well done on creating those :thup:

I just didn't know the assistant could pick up from custom schedules, I do have a few since I'm in charge of the training in all my squads, but I never noticed him picking up anything from my custom schedules. Maybe I was looking at the names, instead of the actual cards/schedule.
I will give it a go this evening.

• SI Staff
30 minutes ago, MadOnion said:

Well done on creating those :thup:

I just didn't know the assistant could pick up from custom schedules, I do have a few since I'm in charge of the training in all my squads, but I never noticed him picking up anything from my custom schedules. Maybe I was looking at the names, instead of the actual cards/schedule.
I will give it a go this evening.

Ah to clarify the AM only picks from the existing defaults, not your custom schedules. You are free to replace one of his with your own though. This is mostly to ensure he remains sane/logical in his selections. Something to consider for the future though :thup:

@Seb Wassell

Are you working on revising some of the training sessions for FM20? If yes, are things locked down already or work is in progress?

I'm asking because I would like to make a few suggestions.

I'm talking about training sessions and the attributes they target. For example, Ball Retention targets only First Touch, Anticipation, Composure, Decision and Teamwork. Shouldn't Passing also be targeted? I know Ball Distribution targets Dribbling, Passing, Vision, Decisions and Teamwork, which makes sense. But they always have to be used together and that takes two training slots. I mean, to simulate the Rondo IRL we need to use two slots and put Ball Retention and Ball Distribution. I believe there should be one unit activity we can select to mimic that. That activity should target - First Touch, Passing, Technique, Anticipation, Composure, Decisions and Teamwork.

I think we need more activities that focus on possession attributes while also helping with tactical familiarity outside of General Possession.

On the Attacking side we have Attacking Patiently, Attacking Direct and Attacking Wide that are activities split in Units that help with Tactical Familiarity like General Attacking. While on the Defense side, we have Defending Engaged, Disengaged and Wide as Unit activities that also address Tactical Familiarity like General Defending.

We do not have such activities if we want to focus on Possession training. Tactically we have Attacking Shadow Play and Defensive Shadow Play as unit activities that address Tactical Familiarity like General Tactics. But nothing else is available as Unit activity to address Tactical Familiarity like General Possession does.

I think it also time to decide if Individual Role training should continue to be included, given that now we have all these activities to select from variety of categories. IRL no one trains individually to play as BBM for example. Individual training is for recovery from injury or catching up with fitness if late for preseason.

Lastly, some unit trainings can be divided by defenders, midfielders and attackers. Or field/pitch thirds - defensive third, midfield third, attacking third - how to transition between them.

• SI Staff
On 27/06/2019 at 19:56, yonko said:

@Seb Wassell

Are you working on revising some of the training sessions for FM20? If yes, are things locked down already or work is in progress?

I'm asking because I would like to make a few suggestions.

I'm talking about training sessions and the attributes they target. For example, Ball Retention targets only First Touch, Anticipation, Composure, Decision and Teamwork. Shouldn't Passing also be targeted? I know Ball Distribution targets Dribbling, Passing, Vision, Decisions and Teamwork, which makes sense. But they always have to be used together and that takes two training slots. I mean, to simulate the Rondo IRL we need to use two slots and put Ball Retention and Ball Distribution. I believe there should be one unit activity we can select to mimic that. That activity should target - First Touch, Passing, Technique, Anticipation, Composure, Decisions and Teamwork.

I think we need more activities that focus on possession attributes while also helping with tactical familiarity outside of General Possession.

On the Attacking side we have Attacking Patiently, Attacking Direct and Attacking Wide that are activities split in Units that help with Tactical Familiarity like General Attacking. While on the Defense side, we have Defending Engaged, Disengaged and Wide as Unit activities that also address Tactical Familiarity like General Defending.

We do not have such activities if we want to focus on Possession training. Tactically we have Attacking Shadow Play and Defensive Shadow Play as unit activities that address Tactical Familiarity like General Tactics. But nothing else is available as Unit activity to address Tactical Familiarity like General Possession does.

I think it also time to decide if Individual Role training should continue to be included, given that now we have all these activities to select from variety of categories. IRL no one trains individually to play as BBM for example. Individual training is for recovery from injury or catching up with fitness if late for preseason.

Lastly, some unit trainings can be divided by defenders, midfielders and attackers. Or field/pitch thirds - defensive third, midfield third, attacking third - how to transition between them.

I can't say if anything is being worked on I am afraid but I would like to say thank you for the input and keep it coming. As with all modules in the game, we're always looking to build-on and improve them, your feedback is exceedingly valuable in that aspect.

• 4 weeks later...

How do I set up mentoring without passing PPM ?

I'd like to have Nainggolan mentor some kids but his PPMs wouldnt be suited for them. His PPM are great for him, but it wouldn't make sense for almost any one of my youngsters.

54 minutes ago, faberrr said:

How do I set up mentoring without passing PPM ?

I'd like to have Nainggolan mentor some kids but his PPMs wouldnt be suited for them. His PPM are great for him, but it wouldn't make sense for almost any one of my youngsters.

You just hope. I've had some guys be tutored by Nabil Fekir on my current save - Lenny Pintor and Martin Terrier being notable for this as neither hasp ppms at the start of the save. 2 years later and Terrier has picked up "Runs With Ball Through Centre", and I believe also Fekir's other starting trait "Runs With Ball Often" and I'm unsure if he picked up another movement ppm or I just trained both of them with it. Lenny Pintor meanwhile hasn't taken any ppms from Fekir and I've moulded him completely differently. But it was just luck.

Finally decided to attempt to understand and try the new training. 

A quick question for anyone who may be able to help, I have set up a few different schedules that I want to employ which basically are one a defensive schedule and the other an attacking schedule.

is there any way I can separate players into 2 schedules in a week or is it fixed that you choose a schedule for a week and everyone in the squad follows that schedule

thankyou

• SI Staff
On 28/07/2019 at 08:57, mdougal said:

Finally decided to attempt to understand and try the new training. 

A quick question for anyone who may be able to help, I have set up a few different schedules that I want to employ which basically are one a defensive schedule and the other an attacking schedule.

is there any way I can separate players into 2 schedules in a week or is it fixed that you choose a schedule for a week and everyone in the squad follows that schedule

thankyou

Players are divided into Units (see Training > Units)

These units decide what the player will work on during each session. To see what attributes are trained and the other impacts a session has on each unit, select a session on Training > Calendar (or any other place the sessions appear) and view the cards.
The 'primary' unit of a session will receive 60% of the focus, with the others receiving 40% or 20%.

So if you train mostly Attacking sessions (for example, Attacking Wings) during a week, the players in your Attacking unit will be working on their attacking attributes with 60% of the coaches' focus whilst the players in the Defensive unit will be working on their defensive attributes with 20% of the coaches' focus.
In this way you can divide your players' training time however you see fit, focusing on whatever it is you wish to focus on.

• herne79 unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

I have an increasing number of players complaining about the amount of Quickness training they've been asked to do, and there hasn't been a Quickness training session on the schedule for three or four weeks. How do I address this? I'm thinking of just turning training over to my AM and letting it go at that.