[FM19] Amsterdamned!

MarcxD

Amsterdamned with Ajax

Related image

AJAX.png

Yes, here we go.

'Tis the time, and while I had very different plans just a few days ago, I am starting this Football Manager with AFC Ajax.

It's the club I support, but I haven't managed them since FM14 or 15 or so. They appealed to me a lot because of the transfer business that has been done recently and because I want to get going really. Can't be waiting for some inspiration to hit me!

Now, just a few things. while Ajax have spent quite a bit of money, I am super excited about the players at the club at the start of the game so won't be spending much. Probably just a loan here or there.

Also, these are my tactics for now.

ajax-tactics.png

I might be going into more detail later, but let's just say I was inspired by some other FMCU regulars for that last one. Generally that should be the main home-tactic, while the wing play one might be used more for away games. The Wingback one is mostly just there to get a third tactic in there if the first two don't work!

eric andre idk GIF by The Eric Andre Show

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Best of luck here. Plenty of young talent to work with, which will make this save an interesting and fun one to watch develop. :D

Thanks mate, I hope so :D

1 hour ago, kidthekid said:

Should be fun to manage those great prospects. 

Yeah, definitely. A bit of an overload of talent though, as always...

u19-talents.png

This is just the u-19s.

33 minutes ago, john1 said:

Interesting formations you came up with :D  Good luck!

Haha, the strikerless was my creation but the other two the game came up with as suggestions for my style of play in the new tactical creator thing they have now, although I did adapt them a bit to my own liking!

Pre-Season + August 2018

pre-season-prediction.png

Well, we are predicted to finish first after a miserable four seasons in a row finishing second. Not too strange with the squad we have, although PSV should be another contender for sure!

pre-season-transfers.png

As I alluded to above, I am not planning on doing too much business. I got in Mangala as a rotational defense option and Granero as a rotational AMC option in the strikerless tactic as that seems to be working the best! 

pre-season-august.png

I wasn't manager yet for the Brugge game, so I started FM19 with a 0-3 defeat. That was a harsh welcome to this game! Fared better against weaker opposition with the "wing play" tactic, but I tried the strikerless approach again against PAOK and most what followed, as it really seemed to work, dominating matches.

We managed to get through three CL qualifiers in a row, and beat Kyiv just like in real life to qualify for the groups. Decent start in the league as well, not conceding any goals, but when it comes to attacking we need to be more deadly.

august-league-table.png

Well up there, but PSV not doing badly either....

pre-season-CL-group.png

Look at that, the exact group PSV have been drawn into in real life. Not exactly what I was hoping for either!

Liking the game and the start to this career so far, so on we go. :thup:

7 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

could you post some screenshots of the best prospects/players if its not a hassle?

These are the potential ratings for the b-team and first team:

ajax-b.pngajax-first-team.png

De-Ligt.png

This guy is one of the biggest Dutch talents, he's my profile pic as well. 

Frenkie-de-Jong.png

This guy is also insane in real life, really looking forward to how he develops. Versatile!

gravenberch.png

As far as the really young guys go this is probably one of the more exciting ones.

If you want to see anything or anyone else let me know.

Gravenberch looks like a great prospect, but terrible positioning and ball winning ability which makes the CM natural position out of place. Training as BWM would even those stats out, otherwise I would train him LW/RW - for this position all he needs to work on is finishing unless you focus heavily on passing and perhaps 'Looks for pass' PPM. Or perhaps you can make him more versatile and try a bit of everything :)

8 hours ago, y0lo said:

Gravenberch looks like a great prospect, but terrible positioning and ball winning ability which makes the CM natural position out of place. Training as BWM would even those stats out, otherwise I would train him LW/RW - for this position all he needs to work on is finishing unless you focus heavily on passing and perhaps 'Looks for pass' PPM. Or perhaps you can make him more versatile and try a bit of everything :)

I have him training as an amc-advanced playmaker right now, but he could definitely work out as a winger as well now that you say that! Cheers.

4 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Frenkie looks so solid...ahhh...especially with the tweak to liberos...

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bc9517f725848432e

Sorry! 

8 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

Following because it's Dutch and it's the beta of the new game etc.

Just be careful you don't get relegated with such a bad team ;)

I'll try my best ;) 

5 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Thanks for the screenshots. De Jong's positioning seems off. I mean if he switched between CB and DM for most of his young career, then his positioning has to be better.

Yeah, good shout that. Even if I am using him as a central midfielder that attribute needs a big increase for him to become world class.

October 2018

october.png

Still not super convincing but at least we are getting the points, not too bad in the Champions League either so far even if we haven't won a game yet.

october-league-table.png

Poor Fortuna...

october-tactic-and-team.png

This is the way I'm set up so far, I'm still tinkering with it though.

Screenshot-1.png

This is an interesting new thing for player interactions, my captain Daley Blind comes to me at times because he thinks players are about to moan about something and sometimes it does a great deal of good to talk to them then, case in point.

November 2018

november-brexit.png

Brexit happened, not super relevant for this save but could have some repercussions. 

november.png

Still the tiny wins in the league and outplayed in Europe... we will be finishing fourth in the group.

november-league-table.png

16 goals scored and 3 conceded after 13 games. May I remind you that I play with a "positive" approach!

December 2018

december-tactics.png

the "wing play" tactic I used at the beginning of the season never really worked, so I replaced it with a more attacking tactic with a familiar formation (to me) based on the Gegenpress settings.

One of the big downsides, though, is that it doesn't really fit some of my best players including Frenkie de Jong.

december.png

I used it in the De Graafschap game, so it might be the answer... but maybe not. I used the strikerless one against Roda - 30 shots, but one goal...

december-CL-group.png

Hopelessly last, the other three teams were too much of a match for each other.

december-league-table.png

Us and PSV really going at it, and to be fair Feyenoord are on a run now as well.

december-takeover.png

Also I got this message, interesting... it hasn't been completed or cancelled at the end of the month though, which is a bit annoying as the transfer market has opened.

As far as the game world is concerned, Griezmann has won the Ballon d'Or, Philippe Coutinho the world player of the year (!) and Mbappe won the Golden Boy award.

2 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

I'm gonna take a bet and say Barcelona will win the EL without a sweat.

Haha yeah that was my first thought as well. 

1 hour ago, DavidBeckham said:

Decent December mate! And I love how defensively solid your side looks (only 1 goal conceded in 6). Keep up the good form and you will be top of the league soon!

Cheers! Yeah, it's kind of surprising to me as I was not necessarily aiming for a bunch of 1-0's.

January 2019

Well, the takeover didn't "take", if you will. At least I could get to some transfer business.

january-signings.png

I did decide to get some new blood in. Traoré was pre-arranged, but the others were my idea. Markovic is a talented central defender, Arabidze a winger who I loaned back out to Nacional for the rest of this season. I signed Calvert-Lewin as a stopgap option for the striker position...

january-departures.png

As I sold Huntelaar. The free departures were players whose contracts were ending at the end of this season, a bunch of clubs came in for them, I guess that's something the AI does now. I tried to put some future sale-on percentages in but they wouldn't agree to that. Oh well, at least I don't have to pay their wages. Kristensen was back-up right back and not a great one, I was surprised they came in for him.

january.png

Well, mostly playing the new gegenpressing style tactic isn't really doing much more for scoring goals but the results are good!

january-league-table.png

Title race might very well be going to the end.

january-youth-facs.png

january-training-facs.png

january-transfer-icardi.png

The first 100m+ transfer in my save. Be interesting to see if it'll happen a bit more or about the same as last year.

You're not too far behind PSV, which is good news I suppose! It seems to be a two-horse-race for the title; as I can't see both yourself or PSV slipping up too much to allow Feyenoord an opportunity. Shame about the Champions League, but when you're in a group like you were; it'll always be tough to get the results. 

34 minutes ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

You're not too far behind PSV, which is good news I suppose! It seems to be a two-horse-race for the title; as I can't see both yourself or PSV slipping up too much to allow Feyenoord an opportunity. Shame about the Champions League, but when you're in a group like you were; it'll always be tough to get the results. 

Yeah, it should definitely between us two. I just wasn't ready yet for CL football, perhaps next season when I have a better idea what I'm doing, hopefully.

February 2019

february.png

Look at this, perfect couple of wins - not the hardest of months to be fair, but this is looking very good. 

february-league-table.png

I'm honestly shocked with how few goals I am conceding, it's not like I had this kind of masterplan for defense. I guess it helps having players like De Ligt.

March 2019 + First Youth Intake!

march.png

?! All of a sudden we are scoring and winning big! Dolberg started scoring, and others followed... to the final of the Cup and most importantly beat PSV at home, convincingly at that.

march-league-table.png

What a bizarre season it has been so far, but not taking the title for granted quite yet.

youth-intake.png

I was hoping a bit more - there doesn't seem to be any world beater here, although you never really know. I signed up almost all of the youth players except for two with bad perceived pa, bad personalities and low determination.

Remarkably there is a model citizen here already, I don't think that used to happen much with regens out of the box! Also two 'fickle' players, perhaps the more uncommon personalities are a bit more common now.

youth-intake-rob-yp1e.png

Able to play all positions in the center of the pitch, just have to retrain him as a GK now... 

April 2019

april.png

Ouch, that was unexpected. We did dominate those matches, but we could've really used some more points... happy to get back to form though.

april-league-table.png

The bad news, though, is that it might just be too much. We play Utrecht at home, while PSV face AZ away. Won't be easy for both of us. But face I'll have to play a cup final. Let's win some trophies!

May 2019

may.png

Ouch, we just couldn't do it in the final, so we needed AZ to help us against PSV in the last match to get anything from this season.

may-eredivisie-games.png

Which they did!!

may-league-table.png

We won the title, incredible. Scenes!

may-jong-ajax-table.png

And not only that, the reserves also won the title in the second tier, taking first spot on the last match day as well!!

2018-2019 Season Review + a small look at the game world

post-season-season-review.png

Most of the season in second but just managed to overtake PSV in the end. Bizarre season where I didn't exactly know what was going on with the tactics and stuff, only conceding 10 in the league but not scoring anywhere near as much as I like to see either.

post-season-best-eleven.png

post-season-squad.png

post-season-club-table.png

post-season-CL-final.png

The CL went to Liverpool in a bizarre final, with an extra time hattrick from Adam Lallana. 

jeff goldblum what GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

post-season-EL-final.png

Chelsea meanwhile won the Europa League, so I guess English teams still aren't underrated ;) (Milan beat Barca in the QF)

Since I've loaded all European leagues at least view-only, I can tell you who won those leagues (and I can show any league tables you might be interested in)

Austria: Red Bull Salzburg
Belarus: Dinamo Minsk (2018)
Belgium: Club Brugge
Bulgaria: Levski Sofia
Croatia: Rijeka
Czech Republic: Slavia Prague
Denmark: FC Kobenhavn
England: Manchester City
Finland: HJK (2018)
France: PSG
Germany: Bayern
Greece: AEK
Hungary: Ferencváros
Iceland: Stjarnan (2018)
Ireland: Shamrock Rovers (2018)
Israel: Maccabi Tel-Aviv
Italy: Napoli
Northern Ireland: Coleraine
Norway: Rosenborg (2018)
Poland: Lech Poznan
Portugal: FC Porto
Romania: U Craiova
Russia: Kuban Krasnodar
Scotland: Celtic
Serbia: Crvena Zvezda
Slovakia: Slovan Bratislava
Slovenia: Maribor
Spain: Atlético Madrid
Sweden: AIK (2018)
Switzerland: FC Basel
Turkey: Besiktas
Ukraine: Shakhtar
Wales: TNS

post-season-game-world.png

14 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Absolutely brilliant way to win the league title! :D Some huge wins on the way to claiming it, but two draws over the season to Emmen - it seems you've found your bogey team. :lol:

Haha cheers, I'm thankful they got relegated then!

12 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Congrats on your win, but great to see Kobenhavn win the league ahead of Brondby. Great day for football all around.

No comment :D 

12 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

How'd Newry go in the NIFL Premiership?

Congrats on taking relegation candidates to the title by the way! Hope you don't suffer from second season syndrome.

Almere City in 19th :herman:

Oh sorry, for some countries I only loaded the top tier so can't see how they did :( . Cheers though! (I was surprised by Almere, honestly.)

Pre-Season 2019 + August

pre-season-prediction.png

Predicted to win the title again, of course! 

pre-season-transfers.png

Well, an interesting transfer summer. As I showed you before, there were a lot of players at the club, a bit too much for my liking. So I sold some of the weaker players or let them go for free, while I was looking for players that were more or less in between the B team and the first team to get a loan spot elsewhere. The one big transfer is Veltman, while he's a good player I thought the offer was just really good and it would be silly to refuse it. I also let go Traoré, a talent but I'm not sure if he's going to be the level that Chelsea sees in him.

As far as the incoming players I signed Andreas Pereira for the first team as an option for the midfield or the left wing, while the other three are talents that I was able to pick up for cheap.

I had the budget to spend more but I don't think that's the way I want to go for this save, if I'm going to buy it's going to be young talents without any crazy price tags attached to them.

pre-season-august.png

I completely went for the gegenpress-style tactic and this is the result. I don't know if it's because the players have developed, have better team cohesion, or if it's because I really focused on one tactic this season, but the difference between this and last season is huge. So many goals!

I'm starting to think now that the tactic is OP, but it might also be just that I have much better players than the opposition faced so far (whell, that should'nt have been the case against Monaco but as that was a pre-season friendly...). Whatever the case may be, we are dominating so far. Good to see Dolberg scoring tons, but also Arabidze, who I signed last january.

august-league-table.png

Of course we are in first, with a lead of 4 points on PSV already - and Feyenoord are on zero!

pre-season-cl-draw.png

The CL group is tough again, with PL winners Man City, EL finalists Milan and Portuguese league winners Porto. A good test to see where we really stand.

pre-season-100m-transfers-trade.png

There have been two 100m+ transfers this summer, remarkably it seems like a bit of a trade between Liverpool and Real Madrid.

9 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

But Newry do play in the highest league of Northern Ireland since this season. :idiot:

Good start in the league, I see some chances in the CL too, especially against Milan and Porto.

My bad!

Screenshot-1.png

Sorry to say they got relegated...

39 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Nice save! Really enjoyed my time in Holland last year. Wish I had started there.

How is kik pierie looking so far? He turned into a machine in my save last year. Eventually i sold him to Bayern for 30 million. 

Thanks!

Pierie is still looking very good - I had thought about buying him for 7.5M, but as I already have a bunch of defensive talents I decided not to. He moved to Mainz instead.

Pierie.png

(the scout report is from before he moved)

September 2019

september.png

Defeated for the first time this season by Man City, after we weren't able to beat PSV either. Slightly disappointing, but we got back to winning ways quickly.

september-league-table.png

Not too sure what PSV and Feyenoord are doing so far, although it looks worse because they've played a game less. Nice going from Heerenveen so far.

October 2019

october.png

Wow, not conceded any goal and the first win in the CL groups in this career! 

october-league-table.png

PSV and Feyenoord finally got in a bit more normal form now, but already 10 and 17 points behind us...

Awesome stuff, always enjoy an Ajax career, seems like it's now going swimmingly on track although you did win the title on season 1!

Speaking of Ajax I've got the feeling you're gonna like my next thread. ;) (/clickbait) 

49 minutes ago, thomasmanefield said:

Great save so far! What's your plan with Europe going forward? Long term strategy to win the UCL or just focused on dominating Holland at this stage?

Ideally both... right now it's just about trying to strengthen the team and club consistently, by investing in young talents, keeping star players like De Ligt by offering them good wages etc.

The long term goal has to be to win a CL, it's always hard to judge how long that will take though. I am curious to see if any AI-managed teams can keep up with us in the long term, it would be good to see the Dutch clubs making a step forward collectively.

8 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Awesome stuff, always enjoy an Ajax career, seems like it's now going swimmingly on track although you did win the title on season 1!

Speaking of Ajax I've got the feeling you're gonna like my next thread. ;) (/clickbait) 

Thanks! This season it feels much more comfortable than the last, so yeah going well. I'll be looking forward to your thread then! :D

November 2019

november.png

Very good in the league, although the game against Man City brought us back down to earth, great difference in quality shown.

november-league-table.png

PSV doing well now, but Feyenoord still mid-table.

Archived