Football Manager 2019 Pre Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

5 minutes ago, KUBI said:

But they look better in general. It's a newgen update.

I have noticed a little more variety yes, but my 18 year old London born Sudanese international star striker has got rid of his iconic afro, so any objective benefits pale in subjective comparison.

I also don't like the coloured boxes on the pre match formation screens or the bordered stars.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, yonko said:

Any change in terms of through balls vs crosses in the final third? Does the update address that?

Your tactics will also determine the ratio between the two, bear that in mind. In the couple of games I've played so far since the update, I've noticed no difference, but then I always have a good mix with this tactic anyway. 

55 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

The shape on the tactics screen is defensive shape. If you want one of them to come back into the AMC position in defense then you need to play him as an AMC.

Simeone doesn't play an out and out 4-4-2 like you have here.

Simeone is the AI manager, I'm using Barca, so your point doesn't really make any sense. I have no trouble setting up my defence the way I want it but if AI managers completely fail at that the game loses its realism and challenge. And you shouldn't have to spend months retraining a striker to play AMC just because you want him to track back, that's not realistic

And the 'shape on tactics screen is defensive shape' thing is nonsense no matter how many times its repeated here. If you set up a 4231 with the AML and AMR on support they'll defend in line with the CMs, not the AMC. Same goes for wing backs who won't play ahead of centre backs without the ball 

1 hour ago, Gregyankee said:

The new update broke my save. I am playing in league two with Forest Green and I cannot start a game due to "Minimum of 1 players trained by Forest Green for 3 years before 21st birthdays". Why would you put something like this in after a beta launches.......

It's not a new rule it was present in FM18 (and possibly earlier). If you don't have a club grown player in your squad then you should be able to either name one sub less than the limit or turn on the U23/U18 filters and select one of the virtual players as they should count as Homegrown.

9 minutes ago, 91427 said:

Simeone is the AI manager, I'm using Barca, so your point doesn't really make any sense. I have no trouble setting up my defence the way I want it but if AI managers completely fail at that the game loses its realism and challenge. And you shouldn't have to spend months retraining a striker to play AMC just because you want him to track back, that's not realistic

And the 'shape on tactics screen is defensive shape' thing is nonsense no matter how many times its repeated here. If you set up a 4231 with the AML and AMR on support they'll defend in line with the CMs, not the AMC. Same goes for wing backs who won't play ahead of centre backs without the ball 

In that case it's an issue with the Atletico researcher then.

17 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Your tactics will also determine the ratio between the two, bear that in mind. In the couple of games I've played so far since the update, I've noticed no difference, but then I always have a good mix with this tactic anyway. 

I'm sure the tactical choice will affect that.

But I haven't changed much my style from past FMs. My tactics are never set up to rely on crosses, long shots and headers. My playing style is possession, combinations and through balls.

Just let  preseason gamerun, not really doing tactis or anything, had the far superior players and was a nice 5-2 game, didnt notice anything that flanks and crosses were preferred in anyway and it really looked like football. This game seems to come together nicely and i cant wait fpr the final uopdate for release, should finally be fun then.

26 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

In that case it's an issue with the Atletico researcher then.

It's not though, no one would argue that Simeone plays a strikerless system and therefore he shouldn't in fm.

The issue is that the way FM handles strikers while defending is incredibly unrealistic. This affects not just Simeone and Atletico but every team that plays with 2 strikers. According to fm they all have their strikers just sit on the opposition cbs no matter what which just isn't true at all. Not even kids football teams defend like that 

It's a very basic and very obvious flaw with the ME and should have been fixed years ago 

Edited by 91427

I've noticed on the set pieces section today that all the positioning / roles of my players are suddenly muddled up from what I had set a couple days earlier. For example I went into my wide attacking free kicks and my centre-backs were suddenly set to stay back, even though I had set up the routine previously and their roles were offensive ones. There are more instances like this such as my striker all of a sudden being set to lurkin on the edge of the area when I previously didn't have that as an instruction for him on any set piece. I do use quick pic occasionally for my team selection but as far as I am aware it doesn't affect this kind of stuff.

Furthermore, I play with the zoomed in setting instead of standard and on the set pieces screen some of the players on the diagram aren't anywhere near where they should be, for example players set to lurk outside the area are shown almost halfway inside it and in a few set pieces, primarily free kicks, the "taker" isn't where he should be, it looks quite messy, it wasn't an issue before I switched to zoomed in today.

Hopefully this is helpful and these things can be worked on in due course 

57 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Not to mention you fit an Airbus down those exit tunnels rather than say, an extra 2000 fans.

And a herd of elephants down the stairways, oh no I forgot they wouldn't get through the cinema doors. I think I need a drink at one of the picnic tables

vor 5 Minuten schrieb RobertPage:

I'm a bit frustrated currently with player roles. Its all nice having these cool names for different roles, but for god sake, let us create our own roles. I guess i'm now expected to select a role, which description in no way describes what i want from my player, simply because i can customize it closer to what i want from the player? its literally impossible to select the instructions i want from my wingers because there's always something forced (FYI, the instructions i want set for my winger are "Stay Wider" and "Hold Position". Nothing else.  What happened to having control in our hands?

Yes,  can only agree here the last iterations, just let me miss a clear panel where i could set clear instructions for each player when they come ontothe pitch, it would make a lot more sense then adjusting predetermind roles gain and again for different subs and players that come in for injuries.

Edited by GerdMuller

8 minutes ago, TopToffee said:

Really? You're either not paying attention or you're expecting it to have turned into an FPS or something...

Yes, really.

Introduction to chairman - same.

Introduction to team - same.

First press conference - same.

Tactics - virtually the same but with presets but now no ability to change fluidity manually.

Transfer/scout centre - same.

Training - leave to AM.

Briefings - leave to AM.

Match day experience - same.

Graphics - same

Match engine - not played 18 for some time but nothing struck me as massively improved or different (appreciate I only played one friendly).

Probably just grown out of it tbh but absolutely nothing made me think, "I really want to keep playing this."

1 minute ago, martplfc1 said:

Yes, really.

Introduction to team - same.  Not really sure what would change with these two?

First press conference - same. There's some new questions in here

Tactics - virtually the same but with presets but now no ability to change fluidity manually. - Not "virtually the same" at all

Transfer/scout centre - same.  - This was re-done last year - hardly going to be reinvented again - but it's significantly more user friendly

Training - leave to AM. - Just because you leave the biggest single change of the entire addition to your AM does NOT make it "exactly the same"

Briefings - leave to AM. 

Match day experience - same. - Again not really, addition of VAR/GLT replays just for starters

Graphics - same - No

Match engine - not played 18 for some time but nothing struck me as massively improved or different (appreciate I only played one friendly). - The ME is absolutely not the same. Big strides from last year

Probably just grown out of it tbh but absolutely nothing made me think, "I really want to keep playing this."

6 minutos atrás, martplfc1 disse:

Yes, really.

Introduction to team - same.

First press conference - same.

Tactics - virtually the same but with presets but now no ability to change fluidity manually.

Transfer/scout centre - same.

Training - leave to AM.

Briefings - leave to AM.

Match day experience - same.

Graphics - same

Match engine - not played 18 for some time but nothing struck me as massively improved or different (appreciate I only played one friendly).

I respect your opinion, but coudn't disagree more. Even in a couple of minutes you can start to tell differences (for the better) that you don't acknowledge. But again, all opinions are respectable and no one can force you to like something you don't.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Agree with the above replies to you but also I'm not really sure what you're expecting more from a football management simulation. 

On game difficulty:

Just won Eredivise and Europa League with AZ in first season. Did not lose a game in the league. I would consider myself a good player with a lot of experience.

I understand also people are struggling and it is not easy for everyone.

So i think it is a good idea for SI to create 2 or 3 difficulty settings.

Some ways to improve AI difficulty

Most AI do not rotate well enough. I think a large part of winning can come from having a much fitter team. So either you decrease the effect matches have on condition or make AI use smart rotation (e.g. field a weakened side before a bigger game in a few days - use opponent reputation variable). Smarter subs too - perhaps you want a few key players in before the big game, but allow the AI to sub them off after 45/60 minutes to save condition. Also do not allow AI to always fill a completely weakened side, leave some first team players in.

Get AI managers to time waste more to close out victories, sometimes bring on more defensive players etc. Same for when losing.

Squad building is improving a bit, but still could be better. I find a lot of AI do not reinvest money from selling their best players. Ajax were completely drained in my game and have bought no one. I think it should be harder for teams to sell all their best players in one season unless they are in financial difficulty. Also - young players and joining the biggest teams... depending on their CURRENT ABLITY (and maybe professionalism) you can SOME players not interested/REJECT teams with higher reputation if they believe "I would be better off staying at my club for development" OR "I would be better off joining this lower reptuation side in order to further my development" or clubs that place them as 'Hot Prospect' over 'Rotation' or 'First Team' (I understand this already happens, but I still think reputation is too big of a weighting). I also think the hidden personality attribute Loyalty needs to be buffed and have stronger effect so that 'Reputation' does not weigh so heavily.

I think in real life managers are also more flexible than made out in the game - they also can often change formation to suit the players they have. Every version there are many managers who have different favoured formations to other versions. So it would also help AI squad building to be more open minded with the formations they use..  As you see with many managers including Pep - their footall style evolves and changes.

To help adjustments to shape you can allow faster training of players in positions that are similar and based on stats e.g. allow a left winger with good tackling, marking, positioning to be trained faster as a left wing back or left back. Allow a left winger to be trained more easily as a right winger. All players should be easy or hard to train in new positions based on i) versatility stat (as used) and ii) calculate 'role suitability' attributes for different positions - e.g. a right back with highly suitable 'deep lying play maker' or 'defensive midfielder' ROLE attributes can be MUCH more easily trained as central midfielder (Lahm/Kimmich/Fabinho) ~ with the variable of versatility making this easier. This means versatility should probably be buffed (e.g. 10 versatility can be weighted a bit higher) and the COST of a new position to CA should be lower. Likewise - players retain core natural positions, but additional positions can perhaps lose attribute points if they are not trained or played in these 'un-natural' positions over a longer period of time - this can also help with CA weighting.

Edited by y0lo

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, y0lo said:

So i think it is a good idea for SI to create 2 or 3 difficulty settings.

It's no longer a simulation if there are difficulty settings. It becomes a game. FM is by definition a simulation so this will never happen IMO.

You have inherent difficulty setting in the clubs that you choose to manage at the start, and your starting experience.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

It's no longer a simulation if there are difficulty settings. It becomes a game. FM is by definition a simulation so this will never happen IMO.

You have inherent difficulty setting in the clubs that you choose to manage at the start, and your starting experience.

I have to disagree entirely. The game is a long, long way from actually simulating a reality unlike something like a racing simulator where you can actually use a lot of technology to get very close to realism (racing wheels/pedals/gearbox, feedback systems, seats with suspension feel, VR headsets). I wouldn't consider the current difficulty is realistic in terms of how difficult it would be to actually be a manager in real life - it is stupid to even consider since the difference is so big between actually being a football manager and playing FM. It is a simulation game. Primarily a game.

The capability exists to make this game easier or harder based on variables so having different difficulty templates is not such a big ask, this way you can please the best players and the worst.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, y0lo said:

It is a simulation game. Primarily a game.

SI will say it's a simulation. FM Touch is considered more 'gamey' in their eyes.

16 minutes ago, y0lo said:

The capability exists to make this game easier or harder based on variables so having different difficulty templates is not such a big ask, this way you can please the best players and the worst.

Actually it's a huge ask considering the depth of the game. The minute you start reducing FM to difficulty variables the more it just becomes a card and puzzle game with a paint by numbers approach than one of strategy and simulation.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Mensell76 said:

- Early Impression: match injuries in my current save still seem too high. One or two players per match needing to be substituted due to minor or bigger injuries is frustrating. Having said that, I find overall fitness an issue with fitness concerns for multiple players after every match as off november. Two matches in a week should be possible for most Premier League players. Needing to rotate this much should not be necessary. Perhaps when I take training into my own hands in the career save as off November 2nd I will see a better fitness and injury balance?

You say yourself that you are playing a gegenpress, in which you would certainly expect to see more injuries/fitness issues. If you believe this to be erroneous please do head over to our bugs forum and open up a thread.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The minute you start reducing FM to difficulty variables the more it just becomes a card and puzzle game with a paint by numbers approach than one of strategy and simulation.

When you face an AI opponent you are playing a game. Card games use strategy. And I'm not sure how you get to a card and puzzle game analogy from speaking about difficulty templates. The game itself is numbers and code based and built around interaction between variables, some which are adjusted version to version. Taking a few of these variables and tweaking them to create 2 or 3 different difficulty sets isn't a big deal at all. I can play chess against an easy AI or an almost impossible AI, I still have to use strategy and the game is still chess.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, y0lo said:

When you face an AI opponent you are playing a game. Card games use strategy. And I'm not sure how you get to a card and puzzle game analogy from speaking about difficulty templates. The game itself is numbers and code based and built around interaction between variables, some which are adjusted version to version. Taking a few of these variables and tweaking them to create 2 or 3 different difficulty sets isn't a big deal at all. I can play chess against an easy AI or an almost impossible AI, I still have to use strategy and the game is still chess.

All programs use numbers :brock:

It is a big deal because you're talking about separate implementations which would all require balance and testing. Unless you just left it to sliders or something like that.

The game's evolved beyond slider based mechanics (often one way of implementing difficulty) and will continue to do so. 

Post update, the game flows a lot better, the players seem to play as i'd asked them to, and a fair few more through balls. We still have space on the wings, so the ball will always go to them, but but-backs to midfield have upped possesion a bit more, and it tends to balance out.

A few balls over the top and more ahead of players - I actually like this - As spurs, Toby has long range passing to full backs etc, so it's viable this comes off now and then. the  DLP or B2B players play a few good through balls as well.

But over-all good, was really pleased how it played out - Yet to see it up against harder teams though.

The training arrows are back, which is good, it shows who was declining, and most are improving.

Mentoring is taking affect, and dynamics are playing a bigger part in the lower, youth teams, I'm still not sure what my fickle players will turn out as yet though

Stars: black border is good idea, poor implementation. Too small on my 1920x1080 screen. Legit squinting going on. 50-100% increase in star size and you'll have it right.

Colors: changes to physical condition/match sharpness - very neon, but works. More visible. Thumbs up. 

Match warmup/lineup screen (with the pictures of players in the formation): significantly worse - opponent played a 433 and couldn't tell if the middle 3 were CM or DM. My DM's "card" overlaps with the CMs. Significant step backwards. See screenshots attached; sorry for half of my ugly mug!

Player Ratings during match: dropped the hundredths column - good - but seems smaller height wise? Or I could be crazy.

Penalties: I'm still hearing no whistle for penalty decisions by the ref?

And to top it off I just had an opponent's goal disallowed for being offside on a corner that they were taking...?

previous.PNG

postpatch.PNG

Edited by grayhairgaming

3 hours ago, Mensell76 said:

- Early Impression: match injuries in my current save still seem too high. One or two players per match needing to be substituted due to minor or bigger injuries is frustrating. Having said that, I find overall fitness an issue with fitness concerns for multiple players after every match as off november. Two matches in a week should be possible for most Premier League players. Needing to rotate this much should not be necessary. Perhaps when I take training into my own hands in the career save as off November 2nd I will see a better fitness and injury balance?

- Winning the ball back by tackling for the ball happens perhaps a tad too much. I'd like to see more duels being won by interceptions or a foot in front of the opponent instead of tackling.. Get stuck in results in "more tackles" it seems.

Wouldn't getting stuck in also contribute to more injuries and fatigue?

Edited by rain94

Few things I liked that update was I have a info button of the players on Opposite Team Instructions and Be able to attend matches, but I have some cons about both:

- You cant use multiple select for OPP Team Instructions yet

- It seems you can attend matches not from Calendar but going to the match competition and look for the match to attend 

Only played the 1 game so far with the new update. Playing on just "positive" seemed to make the tempo way too quick though, had to put back to balanced.

A goal from a through ball though! Shame it was against me, but I wasn't even mad. Did still find players running with the ball a bit too much though, when better passing options available.

I'm also not sure if it's just the Laca and Auba aren't good on this game, but again found them pretty useless. They did however make more runs into the channels. But it's almost like there is a magnet on them and the CB's and they're just drawn back constantly to each other.

25 minutes ago, tiago_wakabayashi said:

I noted I can only add Youth players to train with Seniors. It doesn't make sense, before I could add players from Reserve, some of them continue training with Seniors. I just would want to know why?

20181031030011_1.thumb.jpg.27dbb51cb2ae79cc41c5c51de18db2be.jpg

Maybe because its a Beta version 

6 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

You say yourself that you are playing a gegenpress, in which you would certainly expect to see more injuries/fitness issues. If you believe this to be erroneous please do head over to our bugs forum and open up a thread.

Nope, I use a custom tactic with slightly lower tempo, shorter passing , mixed with extremely urgent pressing but with a standard line of engagement. Intensity of my tactic is not completely eed.

I will first try setting up training myself in a new save. I think there is a link there. I have lots of players being assessed with a high injury risk even though they are on 98 percent fit and 100 percent match sharpness. I think my assistent manager wears the boys out.

But Seb, I do not want this point to be the star of my very positive post. 

7 hours ago, Mensell76 said:

On my Liverpool save I have had the pleasure of having a tough few opponents just after updating to 19.1. Hence I can give my first impressions on the new ME.

The first conclusion is that we have gone from a very one sided ME in 19.0 too a much more diverse almost sort of full throttle like ME. ME1913 is an untammed beast of an ME, showing us the real glimpse of all its possibilities but with an emphasis on more spectacle at the moment. Okay let's start with the good news:

+ Crossing and especially crossing choices have been tweaked quite a bit . Instead of wingers/wingbacks just crossing every time they reach the byline, they now also often opt to cut the ball back to a midfielder that has made himself available as a passing option. Many attacks start to look a lot more lifelike. Even my full back on attack duty is not crossing as much anymore.

+ Through balls: I am seeing quite a few of them, even leading to goals. From little diagonal through balls played from one Inside Forward cutting inside to the other who has starting running inside, To long range through balls into space.  I have to agree with @ajw10 that the curved long through ball over the top does occur a bit often but on a positive it adds to the spectacle and quite honestly the space is often there for it too happen so it makes sense;

+ AI teams seem to counter Gegenpress or high defensive lines better. I have played Chelsea and Benfica and when they were able to resist my team's pressure they launched their attacks with long through balls over my defensive line and were able to score from it. Overall AI seems to be able to contribute to a match more and set up some lovely (counter) attacks. But work can still be done to AI defending higher and more aggresively when our teams enter their half or when they lose the ball after an attack on our half (now they just Always seem to retreat).

+ Goalkeepers are more proactive on crosses and set pieces from the Wings. I enjoy seeing them come out of their goals and grabbing high balls.

+ Goalkeepers are building up a lot better. Especially when they are not restricted to playing the ball to central defenders, you can see some lovely build up passes to the wingbacks higher up the pitch. AI goalkeepers use these passes against us now when we try to prevent short GK distribution

+ Pass into space, now this is what makes this ME a beast. There is so much more urgency both in the forward passing and vertical passing. The ball is travelling greater distances, opening spaces on the pitch a lot more. I actually felt like I was watching real high gear PL matches. Perhaps the directness and amount of passes into space needs a bit funetuning, but spectacular it is at the moment especially when you play a higher to very high tempo (which also leads to more chaos)

+ I think the tempo settings in the tactical set up are showing its differences in this ME better. You want high energy football with more spectacle and also more passing mistakes? Choose a high tempo, because the ball will travel more quickly and with longer distances. You want the best of both worlds, choose slightly lower, shorter passing but still into space and you get a more balanced patient brand of football but still quite spectacular.

+ Inside Forwards and SC's are now connecting and are really contributing to some nice attacking actions and goals. Their off the ball movement is better and due to the central play being a lot better they are just a lot more lifelike. Very curious if my AMC in my 4-2-3-1 save with PSV will now contribute more as well and if I will see more short through balls.

+ Throw ins leading to goals have been balanced.

+ It seems the Inside forwards use their preferred foot a lot more. However I am still waiting for the Robben kind of goal, a curler from the penalty box to the far post.

+ Early signs, this ME favors Guardiola a bit more. Ball posession of 60-65%, lots of shots and winning comfortably. Still a bit too many crosses and set pieces but also some nice goals from Sane cutting inside.

+ Fewer goals overall and more diversity mainly due to the fact that crossing and set piece goals have been tamed

+ Pressing in the ME seems to be more versatile in where it happens on the pitch and it results in more deadly counter attacks.

Any negative impressions?

- Winning the ball back by tackling for the ball happens perhaps a tad too much. I'd like to see more duels being won by interceptions or a foot in front of the opponent instead of tackling.. Get stuck in results in "more tackles" it seems.

Overall though this ME is clearly the way forward and perhaps already very close to a finished article. Great job SI! I am actually really looking forward to a serious career game now.

Again injuries out of control ?????

I bet SI didn’t touch them since the beta to check if we autosuggestioned ourselves each other ......

SI get serious please, the release is just 36 hours ahead and lot of people are reporting the same.

Is this perhaps a candid camera ?

Edited by Boomer Ang

One game on the new ME and it definitely feels like there are improvements. 

The buildup play was much smoother and I felt it played more like what I'm trying to accomplish with my tactic. I also scored a goal with a nice through ball in the centre!