Football Manager 2019 Pre Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, Per Annum said:

Can anyone from SI confirm what types of things the "Encourage" shout is supposed to be the equivalent of saying?

I would have thought it would be a fairly uncontroversial thing to say to your players, but in my (limited experience) it only ever frustrates them. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is supposed to be.

As an aside, does things like "push up" change tactics or PIs at all?

Demand More and Show Some Passion work absolute wonders. Praise when you go 3-0 up or more.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about the 19.0.2 hotfix.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so hope someone sees and can answer. It mentions fixes to Turkish and Finnish leagues that require a restart. Does this include saves in which I have those leagues running but where I'm managing elsewhere? If I moved to a Turkish or Finnish club later in this save (unlikley but you never know) then would I be hampered by the bug to rules?

I suppose I should expect to have to restart in a beta, but I had a good start.

Anyone else finding that some of the player ratings in match are a little harsh, FB/WBs especially.

The following screen is my LWB. Sure his connecting crosses is a little low, but he got forward in to threatening positions consistentlyand his defensive work is good. 

ratingsheaders.thumb.png.2e55296e65f975468f2062931678b6a1.png

rating.thumb.png.1c6b865ec141dc7db3f207f96712241b.png

His opposite WB got a significantly better 6.8, despite having a worse percentage on crosses and passes. Does that 1 key pass constitute a whole mark despite a worse attacking techincal performance?

ratingotherWB.thumb.png.6011ea68ac1dda072b3bbdd21e465751.png

Column titles included to make it easier to understand

2 hours ago, anagain said:

Question about the 19.0.2 hotfix.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so hope someone sees and can answer. It mentions fixes to Turkish and Finnish leagues that require a restart. Does this include saves in which I have those leagues running but where I'm managing elsewhere? If I moved to a Turkish or Finnish club later in this save (unlikley but you never know) then would I be hampered by the bug to rules?

I suppose I should expect to have to restart in a beta, but I had a good start.

Yes the fixed rules will only apply to freshly created save games, so if you wanted to manage in Turkey or Finland on your current save you'd be subject to the pre-patched rules.

2 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Yes the fixed rules will only apply to freshly created save games, so if you wanted to manage in Turkey or Finland on your current save you'd be subject to the pre-patched rules.

Unlikely I'll end up there really, but thanks for the answer. Have to see how this save goes and whether there's any other similar updates in beta.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

4 minutes ago, Boomer Ang said:

Have you set to let your ass man to manage training ?

No I am in charge of all team and individual trainings. Its just that crossing is not there in individual training menu. Maybe because of holiday ? will check if it doesnt fix then its a bug

Edited by abhid30007

Well I took the plunge and bought the game. I've started a save with Penang in the Malaysian Premier League, as I'll be playing ultra LLM when the game is officially released and I wanted to get a feel for how the match engine handles less skillful players. (To be fair, some of the players in the Penang team are still much better than I'm used to managing.) I've been playing for three hours so far, and I'm yet to click Continue.

My first impression is that the new training module is great. In fact, that's an understatement — it's absolutely fantastic! It is going to take a while to get to grips with it, but it feels so real and authentic, and it's so well explained and presented. Everybody involved with the training module deserves a well earned beer or two! I'm also glad that mentoring seems to have been toned down this version, and I like the way that you can set up mentoring groups. 

The tactics creator looks promising. Although, when first starting out, all I really wanted was to set a rough formation to drop my best players into, so that I could figure out the formation and tactics to get the best out of those players. I ended up using Excel first to figure out my rough formation, and then I used the tactics creator after I had a rough idea of how I wanted to play.

Although it is very early days in my FM 2019 journey, I am happy with my initial impressions. Everything is just that little bit cleaner and more intuitive. It's just a little bit easier to do a lot of things, and all those little improvements add up to make a massive difference.

Finally, the purple skin looks great. I don't think I will ever change it.

Initial thoughts from me, only played 4 games but definitively positive.

UI is great, loads better than 19. Tactics centre is very well implemented and not overwhelming despite the endless amounts of options. Training is also very well done too, it actually feels like you're having an influence over training now.

Oh and the purple is definitely growing on me. Now do I start my hall of fame career or wait until full release....

Are we limited on whom we can add to mentoring groups?

I'm being told my goalkeeping group is too small so I'm trying to add my U23s keeper, but he's not showing on lists.

I moved him to the first team squad and, after continuing, was able to add him. As soona s I moved him back to the U23s he was taken off the mentoring group.

I'm sure there is many an occaison in the football world where mentoring groups include players from youth squads. I know that at Bournemouth the young keepers train with the two main keepers in the squad, despite not being in matchday squads. I assume this would be the equivalent of FMs mentoring groups.

I think it would therefore make sense if assigning players to mentoring groups included an option to filter in players of other squads too. To be fair, you could have a first team player mentor those in the U23s and U18s in FM18, so why the option's not in now is odd.

1 minute ago, tyro said:

You need at least 3 people. You can have 2 but then there's an information showing you need 3. 

Yep, just don't understand why it doesn't let me select players in U23 squad. I'm a little light on goalkeepers.

Edited by anagain

vor 12 Minuten schrieb anagain:

Yep, just don't understand why it doesn't let me select players in U23 squad. I'm a little light on goalkeepers.

For mentoring, players need to train with the first team.

9 hours ago, Per Annum said:

I seem to be regularly sending my front two clean through on goal together, yet I don't think I've ever once seen one square it for the other. I have seen them hit it at the keeper about 40 times.

Nowhere near the bug reporting level, because it still might be either selective memory or it might be e.g. confined to non-league football. 

That said, has anyone seen they players square it across a keeper for a tap in? Not the same as a cross to unmarked back post, which I have seen.

Despite this, I feel its the best ME, probably just because I haven't yet accidentally stumbled upon this year's glitch tactic yet.

Yes. Although only had a player with "support" duty do it, any Advanced Forward just melts it at the keeper. Not sure if that's intentional.

No problems with injuries either tbh, had one or two but you look at hearts in real life who just lost two starters for the majority of the season in the same week.

Man City top of the EPL so far with 65% possession aswell..

Silly thing SI brags about obtaining the licences for the Bundesliga (fantastic new feature), and simultaneously drops Liga.3 due to licencing issues (without any anouncements in that area before beta-release).

Furthermore I still think that stadiums in lower leagues are way too big. Only Denmarks lowest league has some standless sides as far as I have tried. For example Northern Ireland bottom division, Swedish lowest league, pretty much as low as you can go, all have 4 side covered stands. Check out a club like Bolnäss GIF in Sweden and compare the stadium FM invented for them and then check their accomodation in real life.  It doesn't have to look exactly like the real thing off course, but I think you can see my point. A capacity 1000 accomaodation, hardly a stand to be seen, resulting in a 4-side covered stadium in FM that looks like it can hold at least 8000 spectators. Same goes for FM18 by the way, every release I hope it gets better, and every release the dissapointment. Takes the fun out of lower league management for me. Hope this get fixed before release or editable in in-game editor. Would rather manage somewhere else than in Danish lower leagues (for realisms sake) for a change... Thanx!

Hmm, this is something I noticed last year, I might just be crazy, and it's confirmation bias.. 

Basically, the draw for cup games will choose a team I've either played recently or will play. 

Eg. I drew Cardiff in the Carabo Cup and the fixture is merely days after I played them in the league.

I know it happens in real life... Liverpool just had Chelsea in the league and Cup!

I noticed it last year over and over and I'm starting to notice is now. The only way I can see it being true is the dB caches certain teams to use at a time and hence throws in one of those teams to calculate the draw.

Or of course I've lost the plot and its merely, truly coincidental! 

Edited by ZoDiAC_

Hello, from Belgium French speaking.

Brann (Norway) manager since 08.08.2018. Goal first part of the table. Played 10 games (7 W, 1D, 2L) from 13 to 7th. Last game won against first and ennemy away. And 5 players unhappy with my management and club results????????????????????????????????? My situation VERY SOLID, so where is the problem? Please reduce the complaints to crisis situations. 

42 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Ahh, I just noticed the option to have U23 or U18 players train with the first team squad. Make smore sense to me now. In Units.

I hadn't see that before.

Edited by anagain

47 minutes ago, KUBI said:

It's still not working for me. I've added my U23 goalie to train with my first team squad goalkeeping unit, but I still can't add him to a mentoring unit.

Is something bugged?

Yep, tried after contuining the game again. Won't let me. Gonna bug it and add a save.

Edited by anagain

56 minutes ago, tyro said:

Yes strange as in training you can add youngsters. Maybe you need to add them to the training units first and then it will let you?

Tried that. It's a little annoying as you seem to have to continue the game before anything takes hold.

It's proving a little bit on the cumbersome side. Love the ideas on show here though.

I am trying to retrain an attacking left winger into a left midfielder by training the left midfielder role and my assistant manager has now said that I should stop training that position now has he cannot get any better than competent in that position.

Is that right or can he get to accomplished/natural?

@Totalfootballfan i could not agree more with the Possession stats in FM 19 . But unfortunately , i think it wont change. Many People were complaining about that on FM 18 , and nothing was being fixed . I guess it's the same procedure as last year. If you want realistic Possession Stats in FM , then you gotta Coach those teams , which is ridiculous   . It can't be too hard to give Man City , Barcelona Possession tactics .

2 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

@anagain - players need to be in the same squad to mentor one another. This is because they need to spending time together both on and off the training pitch.

@Seb Wassell - But surely if they're in the same training unit then they are training together and spending time together? 

In past FMs I've been able to assign a young prospect to be mentored by an older experienced pro. It's been a useful method of bringing youth through to reach their potential.

So now what SI are saying is that we can't do that anymore - unless we chuck any player we want to improve in to the first team squad.

Can you not extrapolate that to say that we might as well put everyone in the same squad and set them to play for U23 or U18s with the new item tools?

I don't want to do that. I have squads so I can keep players grouped and not have an endless list for match selection.

On the Positional Units screen we can see the following:

GKunit.thumb.png.1a64b9a614b49e000b00377bf594aaa9.png

Then, to the right, we have this little box:

add1stteamtrain.thumb.png.9ec06cca5393208457e9bc30cb6d2a9c.png

That's why Adie Molyneux is the the Goalkeeping unit.

He's training with the first team, but he's not going to play so I leave him in the U23s. It makes sense.

However I want him to be mentored by Ross Flitney. I may aswell try and improve him.

So I set up the following group:

GKMentor.thumb.png.15bd31f0b921ab86eb019dffd6a168f2.png

But it tells me I need three players to make a mentoring group. I only have three goalkeepers so it's going to be Adie. He's training with the first teamers day in, day out. He sees them every day. Surely Ross can mentor him?

But no. As you can see he's not selectable:

addplayertomentor.thumb.png.04cc28a065fc46f7ae6edad8982c121c.png

So I have no option but to move him to the first team squad.

Are we not supposed to be able to have first team pros influence the improvement of youngsters any more? Was this a mistake in previous FMs? Because it was something I did often. I'd find a young player I saw potential in and ask a pro to mentor him.

It's taking a way a big part of the game for me.

I know this is done in the real world too. I've watched AFC Bournemouth training videos where the first team keepers train with youngsters that have never been on the bench and play regularly in the development squad. This is what we should be able to do.

Please reconsider this mechanic. If players in mentor groups have to be in the same squad then we might as well put everyone in the same squad. Otherwise we can't bring youth prospects on via mentoring. Only training.

I admit I'm no expert on the way training of youngsters at professional clubs work, but from watching AFCB videos it seems like the coaching team tries to involve young players with the first team as much as possible, and in a way that is effectively a mentoring group.

I appreciate if you guys at SI don't agree, but I felt I needed to make this point.

~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE: I want to add to anyone who is liking this post ( @roykela  @CelticCelticCeltic ) that I was directed to a thread in the training forum by westy8chimp. If you feel somewhat similar to me about the change to tutoring and the new mentoring format then you should check that thread out. It's really helped me understand why things have changed. I'll certainly miss the ease of tutoring, but I can see many benefits in the new mentoring system now. It's going to make me think about how I bring youth through much more. The problem currently is the lack of guides, something that I believe is to come at release.

Edited by anagain
added update

1 hour ago, bigmattb28 said:

Initial thoughts from me, only played 4 games but definitively positive.

UI is great, loads better than 19. Tactics centre is very well implemented and not overwhelming despite the endless amounts of options. Training is also very well done too, it actually feels like you're having an influence over training now.

Oh and the purple is definitely growing on me. Now do I start my hall of fame career or wait until full release....

Definitely wait for full release, don't know how much you've discovered, but  I keep going ooh that's nice even after all the inductions, keep discovering more. My plan is keep on this world of discovery until full release then may see you in hof career, I have a plan.

• SI Staff
10 minutes ago, private pyle said:

I am trying to retrain an attacking left winger into a left midfielder by training the left midfielder role and my assistant manager has now said that I should stop training that position now has he cannot get any better than competent in that position.

Is that right or can he get to accomplished/natural?

Players have an upper limit to how good they can become in a position. This varies from player to player.

2 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Players have an upper limit to how good they can become in a position. This varies from player to player.

Cheers Seb, I will try him as a centre midfielder instead then, hopefully he will be a better fit there.

Loving FM19 by the way

• SI Staff
10 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

When you get a scout that has finished his assignment, when you then click to 'acknowledge' it doesn't confirm it. 

This is something we are aware of and it will be resolved for full release. 

Cheers,

Ben

32 minutes ago, 17Gonzo said:

They have launched a U23 squad for this season though. They have a team in the Premier League Cup:

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/october/u23-swansea/

This has already been raised in the data part of the website.

Thanks for the correction, I could not find reference to an U23 squad when I first went to the club website as matches only listed senior & youth teams in the dropdown.

3 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

@anagain 

Quite a few have asked the same questions as you. Seb and others have provided some good feedback on training and mentoring in the tactic and training forum. 

In particular this thread is discussion based. 

Thanks. I'll have a read.

Anyone finding the vertical Tika taka tactic overpowered. Used it first season with HSV won the league with one defeat and that only came after I won the league in April. Also won the German cup and now just dominated bayern in the super cup and won it. Not made any changes to it. 

Edited by Midfield Triangle

1 hour ago, toffee71 said:

Definitely wait for full release, don't know how much you've discovered, but  I keep going ooh that's nice even after all the inductions, keep discovering more. My plan is keep on this world of discovery until full release then may see you in hof career, I have a plan.

I've actually started my hall of fame career already I couldn't resist. Are you gonna be posting your progress? Where you plan on starting? But back to your post I'm really enjoying seeing the little things like an overview of the transfers already made before the game started as well as the new mentoring section.

Edited by bigmattb28

Anyone finding the number of offsides each game excessive again this year? Strikers seem unable to check their runs when trying to get in behind.

I'm averaging about 6 or 7 a game currently, while in real life i think it's usually between 2 to 4.

Now I understand playing direct with players with low anticipation will naturally lead to this, however the opposition are also experiencing similar numbers so isn't purely tactics related IMO.  I've tried limiting attackers to support duties, however this is in the Conference so being forced toward a more patient approach isn't ideal for chance creation.

It can make the highlight reel frustrating to extremely watch at times. I guess the alterative option would be to simply tone down the number of offsides shown. If it's marginal decision from a slipped through ball then fair enough, but I don't really need to see every long punt up the pitch where the strike has set off 2 yards early.

That said, I'm really enjoying the match engine on the whole and this is a minor gripe rather than a full on rant.

According to an article I just read it has happened 5 times in 13 years purely within the PL, so although I initially disagreed with your comment, it seems there is something to it, as that was less often that I expected. That doesn't include managers moving from club outside PL to inside PL mid-season though, which may be higher.

width doesnt seem to exist in the game everyone seems to bunch up in the area even when you have selected the maximum width. the team cant go anywhere.

im with what everyone is saying about the big name players they dont seem to be able to play like they do in real life.

through balls only seem to be played on the ground, players dont seem to play little dinks over the defences