Football Manager 2019 Pre Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

I love the fact that this version runs so much smoother for me than 18 ever did, absolutely loving it (bar the horrendous amount of injuries but thank God that's being looked at) and lucky for me I have a week off work to look after the kids so I get plenty of game time.

Love the tactical presets, now I can just tweak a couple of things to suit my players, I haven't even looked at training yet my assistant is looking after that until I read a bit more about it.

I have the utmost confidence that this will be the best version of FM to date.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving it but injuries are forcing me to stop. I've got 7 first team players out injured, two for 3 months. It's like having a team of Daniel Sturridges! I know it's being investigated, so I'll sit tight for a patch... But did find it interesting AI teams seem to have more too.

Might do that 'going outside' thing people keep telling me to do... :)

Edited by ZoDiAC_

I'm around 6% below my expected rate of injuries so far. I've not seen anything to suggest they're any worse than last year. I wonder if the main complainers have come straight from FM17. Last year's game brought an increase in the 'in-match'knocks you players get to make it more realistic. 

And before anyone retorts with 'But SI have admitted there's an issue' - they haven't, they're simply investigating to see if there is one. And there might well be, but from my experience so far, it's no better or worse than it usually is. You see these types of complaints every single year when the game first comes out. 

9 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm around 6% below my expected rate of injuries so far. I've not seen anything to suggest they're any worse than last year. I wonder if the main complainers have come straight from FM17. Last year's game brought an increase in the 'in-match'knocks you players get to make it more realistic. 

And before anyone retorts with 'But SI have admitted there's an issue' - they haven't, they're simply investigating to see if there is one. And there might well be, but from my experience so far, it's no better or worse than it usually is. You see these types of complaints every single year when the game first comes out. 

Agree with this, I'm seeing a lot of light injuries in games that result in anywhere between 1-5 days out with an orange injury, normally could be rushed into the next game if you needed them or benched but that's very much the individual manager's call. I'm not seeing a lot of long injuries (so far).

Enjoying things otherwise, agree with the comments about crosses seeming overpowered but I am playing as LFC and it is pretty easy to create space for Robertson and Alexander-Arnold to cross and when they have such good crossing attributes it's always going to create chances. My big concern about goals would be the number of corners I'm scoring from, often from a knock down by a centre back and a second player smashing it in, seems a little bit too frequent.

31 minutes ago, luka_ said:

I'd say the ammount of injuries is not that unrealistic but the severity of injuries is. Rarely it's a knock 1-3 days, for me almost every injury is like 3 weeks and I had 3,4 injuries for 3 -5 months..

I had 12 players stretchered off in 2.5 games... I didnt finish the other half of the third game, not because of (what would have been justified) rage quit... But because of a crash. 

The injuries and instability are the only problems i have... Overall the game looks a lot better. Injuries always seem to be an issue in beta so it will be fixed (does beg the question how it wasnt picked up as its so prevelant in majority of players saves). Stability is frequently improved by hotfix so im not concerned by that. 

ME defo better than 18...cbs split, players pass back on all mentalities when recycling the ball, curve on the ball, ive seen strikers attempt more lobs/round keeper, there are more natural deflections, more natural break down in play like interceptions seem better. 

The tactic overhaul is massive as is training and mentoring. 

Plus lots of little improvements here n there.

I can see where its going and i like it... Just not sure how playable the beta is until the injury issue is sorted. Which is a shame! Lads at nursery, wife away, ive got time off... I wana play! Just starting another new save but my interest will wane by november when my whole first 11 is in the physio room telling war stories on match day whilst i resort to playing my u18 gks as target men upfront :D

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

Is every other team in your division suffering from the same thing? 

I think so, didnt really check, but in one game i had 5 injuries and opponent had 3. So i assume the AI were feeling it too. 

I offered Seb the details but hes had enough reports and been accepted as a known issue. 

I wonder if it could be save specific or just bad luck because in my first beta save i didnt notice it. So i understand some people being defensive about the issue. When it strikes your save tho... Pray for Dave 

7 hours ago, d d said:

The game plays quick on mine, even faster than FM18...

Maybe it hasn't been optimised for my hardware yet? I have an FX 8350 and a GTX 1060. I get 3.5 stars performance by loading 43k players but it's considerably slower than last year.

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, luka_ said:

I'm having an unrealistic schedule problem. Playing 4 games in one week! It is just not possible in real life. In a fight for a top4 with three games left and two games I must play with one day of rest between them plus CL semis three days before and after this two games and my team depleted with injuries .. :rolleyes:

Hello @luka_,

I don't know which country you are playing but this might be something to raise in those sub-forums (in the thread related to the country). A save prior to this calendar and screenshots may help the dev team to review your issue.

https://community.sigames.com/forum/641-league-specific-issues/

I hope it helps!

Regards

I wonder if those with a lot of injuries have changed the training or left it to the assistant?

Just trying to figure if there is a link, I have not had many injuries at all but I am only in November so may have been lucky.

I have my assistant handling training other than individual training.

Has anyone had a problem regarding individual training? The example is that i tried to train my GK in sweeper keeper - attack and when I click individual training there are green bars ( role and duty suitability ) only on sweeper keeper defend. Other duties don`t have those bars ( it`s like they can`t play other duties - not even competent ). When I click defend then it accepts it as my training but when I try to click sweeper keeper - attack duty than it just says GK - playing position in individual training. Same goes for players in other position ( I can train my WB´s to CWB - support but not attack ). If I click CWB -  attack than it just says WB - playing position in training.

Edited by Punt

Can't say I've noticed a big problem with injuries at the moment, admittedly I've not played it as much as I'd like! I've not messed around with training or anything yet, could it be training schedules coupled with high intensity tactics? Just thinking out loud.

Overall, absolutely loving the game this year. Like many have said the ME actually seems responsive to tactical changes. Was frustrated at the beginning but soon realised it was my choice of tactics.

Played a couple of months of game time - impressions so far:

• Training is excellent - very thorough and there are so many options to choose from. I found it a bit overwhelming at first and am still unsure on what the best approach will be for my side. At first I left it to the Ass. Man but have since started taking more control with the weekly presets.
  • Tactics - I like the presets and it makes it easier for those who want to implement a particular style of play. I'm not using them myself but I think it's great to give that visual representation and set the instructions for the user. My only gripe is trying to change these tactics during a match - it seems the 'confirm changes' button doesn't come up automatically as soon as you make any tweak. I have to press on a few random buttons to get it to appear so this may be a bug. The tactics interface during a match is also a bit crammed but I understand with more options comes a slightly more cluttered screen face.
  • Match engine - I see some differences in the way the ball moves around - more swerve and some of the longer shots actually hit the target! Liking the look of it - it's quite smooth and I can see my system being played out in front of me which is all you want from a match engine. Freekicks seem to be going in a bit too often though, and there are quite a few pens/injuries too but I know this has been flagged. My settings for viewing, i.e. 2D and zoomed in a bit with faster highlights.etc seem to be reset with each match? May be a bug.
  • Scouting - seems much the same as before, though I'm finding it quite difficult in the inbox to read it properly and get a proper overview report of a player - almost as if the window isn't large enough. 
  • Regen faces - as has been documented: these are terrible. I hope they receive some form of upgrade for the full game.
  • UI - I quite like the purple and the ability to move the sidebar options around. Font looks OK but I notice it skews or goes funny if a player has a long name and it needs to fit into a small box - surely the parameters of the box should extend, or, have a '...' where the name can't fit in.
  • Manager avatar - still see this as a redundant feature - no idea what value it brings at all. Preferred it when we could just upload a photo.

Overall, it's been very good but I'm intrigued to see how training actually pans out for my players and my team in the long run.

On 20/10/2018 at 18:18, craiigman said:

Anyone had any luck with their own system that wasn’t based on one of the presets?

Yup, and it's working like a charm, though not optimal. I am managing a newly promoted Kettering side and we are just off the playoff spots in early March, so a lot better than expected.

gK4onSo.png

This is the current iteration of it, but I'm still working on improving it.

11 hours ago, axehan1 said:

This could be a great game but the state of the injuries is absolutely hilarious, all my substitutions are injury based not tactical.I can't wait to be told it's in keeping with real world football.3 injuries a game.

You do know this is a Beta, right? Where it's expected to find bugs? A Beta means and unfinished game that you get to play early on the basis that you must expect errors and bugs. When SI already have stated that they are aware of it and working on it, this kinds of posts are less than helpful. You should be ashamed of yourself.

44 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Nope, I've come straight from FM18 and before that FM17 and before that, we'll I'd go back years... I'm not a stranger here, certainly not when it comes to submitting actual bugs. I've already posted extensively on my training schedules including more rest and recuperation and manually giving players many, many rest days. I feel I've done as much as I can in-game. Indeed, a mod saw that post, I'm simply further along and can't field a team without youngsters due to injuries piling up.

I understand if you're not having the same issue - lucky you! But that doesn't preclude someone else having it. I suspect you will start to notice more over time. 

Indeed, if we are entertaining even the notion of there being injury issues - that seems to be what SI are doing - I think your response is basically 'pfft, noobs'! That's pretty reductive. I guess SI's investigation will sort it one way or the other.

Edited by ZoDiAC_

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

After playing a fair few games now here's my thoughts:

Match engine

- Defenders now receive passes to help recycle possession, didn't happen last year, I like this.

- However when then do, it doesn't seem to trigger anything, the forwards don't drop off or move into areas of space. They sort of just stay where they are.

- Crossing/wing play is still too much of a focus. I can't imagine anyone playing a narrow system this year will have much luck creating any chances. Doesn't seem to be anything coming from the central areas other than recycle possession and then make a run to try and get on the end of a cross.

- When watching the streams, it seemed like long shots and free kicks are now better. So far for me it's been the same as 18, just they curve a bit better.

- Full backs/wing backs still head the ball back into danger/off the pitch even when there isn't anyone close to them, usually from other teams goal kicks

- Defenders still get caught under the ball on those long punts down field, resulting in again goals that should easily be defended. Does it happen from time to time in real life? Yes. But it happens too often on FM. You feel like you've just been cheated out of the game.

I know some people are having success so far, but from what I am seeing on my game, it's too similar to 18 and the variation of goals is still the same, mainly from wing play.

I do like the new training, dynamics, and tactic system. In fact I like most of the new changes off the field, adds extra depth where it was much needed. However on the pitch, it's just not very rewarding.

@Rashidi I just watched back your twitch stream vs Bayer and Liverpool and watched the beginning of the Ausgburg game and what I am seeing in your game is what I am seeing, however you seem to suggest you're happy with the game so wondering what your thinking is.

This post from @Totalfootballfan highlights a big issue in the ME so far, players open in central areas, but wing play is preferred:

On 20/10/2018 at 10:38, Totalfootballfan said:

The issue that I raised above can be seen very clearly when you simulate 5 vs 2 counter-attacks situations.

On the video below, you can find couple of examples of the issue.

The defenders are Ramos and Casemiro

The Attackers are Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Coutinho and Rafinha

The attackers carelessly runs into the defenders and lose the ball, they ignore the teammates around them and passing opportunities.

The most frustrating is that many of Winger/Inside Forwards/Attacking Midfielders have “Run With Ball Often” PPM so you can’t do nothing about their behavior using the tactical settings.  

That or Casemiro is OP. I'm seeing it time and time again, no one is playing that final ball into the forwards, unless it's from wide or deep. Like I say it's not just on my save, as it's the exact same on your stream save there.

Just wondered if you think this is an issue or if it's something you've raised yourself as an issue. I think I saw 1 defence splitting pass in those games you played, was Firmino to Mane, but even then it was not near the box. It seems there's an issue with the final ball in and around the final 3rd. Passing around the middle of the park is great, but then it stops and attempts to play out wide for a cross.

Edited by craiigman

Started as Liverpool manager until full game release. Klopp got hired in november by Spurs and immediately signed two of my (his) assistants from Liverpool. I love all these little things you can find on the way. 

Put aside new training and tactics system (probably the biggest improvements in years) these small details are what makes this version the best in years.

My problems so far are transfers. Varane for 60 mil to Man Utd, or Lucas Vazquez for 12 mil to PSG are just few of the examples of bad transfer AI. Didnt see that part of the game being any better than in previous versions.

Also, if someone knows if regens are still physically overpowered compared to RL players. As i like playing long term saves, regens and transfer AI are the biggest issues for me. No inside forwards, small amount of attacking full backs, no sweeper keepers and as i mentioned them being physically overpowered are just some of the issues i believe are still not solved. Also generally speaking attributes are not well balanced.

But to get back to FM19, I am positive this will be the best FM game so far. Well done, guys!

I've had the weekend to put some serious time int the beta, this is my first FM for a few good years not including the 2 week dabble I had with the FM18 demo

To sum it up, so far I'm loving it

The new tactic creator with presets is fantastic, I'm really enjoying giving them a go. I'm giving Liverpool & Bayern saves a go using them & seeing  how I get on. I wouldn't mind a few more  templates tbh as I can't see Tika-Taka & the Gengenpress working too great down in the lower leagues but it's up to us to adapt & not totally rely on them 

I did give the Wing Play template a try with the Blues but they don't really have the players for it (even though AI Garry Monk seems to do well enough with a flat 4-4-2) & I didn't notice too much wide play. I'll have to experiment a bit more with that one

Tying in with Tactics, I'm finding the Match Engine far more responsive to my instructions, things just seem to make more sense with what I've seen so far. I'm still finding the Target man role a little frustrating, as in they don't play how I want them to play but I'll persevere   

I like in Player Instructions it tells you which PPM's interfere 

Regarding injuries, I've had a fair few Liverpool but that was my fault. I went out with Gegenpress with players not ready for it yet in match fitness terms. Salah managed to stub his toe a minute into his first game back. It's pretty balls to wall so I've toned that down over pre season whilst fitness gets up to scratch  

I don't know if these are bugs but a couple of things I've noticed which don't seem right:

- Using the Wing Play template, looking at the instructions, Focus on the left & right wings instructions are in Red & not Green. Both are active, it's just a bit confusing when usually they're marked in Green & conflicting instructions are in Red   

- I've noticed with pens, the player winning the pen, then if it's scored he'll no longer get an assist for it. This could've been the case for years but it's something I was always used to 

VAR has been implemented very clunkily in game, so you're better off in a league without it. The only way I know if a goal is scored or disallowed is if the scoreline in the corner updates. Better text descriptions of whats going on are needed. Thankfully it's not happened too often in my Sampdoria save yet. Will be a good feature when it's tidied up. 

I wished VAR was implemented in the champions / europa league rules for 19/20 season as it´s going to be IRL...

What i dont like in this game are kick-off goals , i feel like my team just doesnt care and lets the oponnent score to fast.

But for the most , i´m enjoying this game

I haven't had any major injury problems so far. It's same as FM 18. I'm happy with it. I also haven't had too many crosses issue. It definitely depends on what tactics you have chosen so no problem there as well.

Here's the result of one of my own version of customized tiki-taka tactic. It's very different from the preset one.

fm19-tiki-taka01.thumb.png.de3bef5bbbf7db1cad30d61b15bb901c.png

As you can see, 1163 passes attempted and 1073 (92%) completed. Only 7 crosses attempted all game and I'm playing with two inside forwards. Team mentality is 'Balanced'.

Edited by pats
Better image quality

Never bought the game before the date of official release, but is it fair to say, based on the comments here, that getting started already now is a good decision? Seems that people are generally very happy! 

Btw, is there a limit to how long you can play a save game on the beta? 

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Yup, and it's working like a charm, though not optimal. I am managing a newly promoted Kettering side and we are just off the playoff spots in early March, so a lot better than expected.

gK4onSo.png

This is the current iteration of it, but I'm still working on improving it.

You do know this is a Beta, right? Where it's expected to find bugs? A Beta means and unfinished game that you get to play early on the basis that you must expect errors and bugs. When SI already have stated that they are aware of it and working on it, this kinds of posts are less than helpful. You should be ashamed of yourself.

:lol:

5 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Never bought the game before the date of official release, but is it fair to say, based on the comments here, that getting started already now is a good decision? Seems that people are generally very happy! 

No limit to the beta. 

5 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

No limit

41 minutes ago, pats said:

I haven't had any major injury problems so far. It's same as FM 18. I'm happy with it. I also haven't had too many crosses issue. It definitely depends on what tactics you have chosen so no problem there as well.

Here's the result of one of my own version of customized tiki-taka tactic. It's very different from the preset one.

As you can see, 1163 passes attempted and 1073 (92%) completed. Only 7 crosses attempted all game and I'm playing with two inside forwards. Team mentality is 'Balanced'.

I would be impressed with this but the clear cut chances created - considering the opposition - seems very low. It may be tiki-taka but it doesn't look like a particularly effective version. Were the players just passing around to each other in the centre circle?

17 minutes ago, Calum955 said:

Anyone else seeing defenders when attempting to play a very simple pass back to the keeper they pass out the park and concede a corner?

Happening quite a lot for me and it’s good players doing it. 

It's a known issue I think, so should be fixed for full release. 

Just now, frenchdog93 said:

When you get a scout report on a player does it come directly to the news feed? Or do you have to go into the scouting centre?

Should go to the news feed and scout pool players come in like scounting center.
Love this addition you can see the scout news as a list and quickly assign them, see also where the offer comes from, agent, club or  scout

1 minute ago, frenchdog93 said:

When you get a scout report on a player does it come directly to the news feed? Or do you have to go into the scouting centre?

It's fully customisable now, so you can choose where all manner of reports are sent, whether it's inbox, scouting centre or not at all. One of the great additions to the game this year. 

1 hour ago, pats said:

You can limit the number of crosses of course but with that you reduce the chance of scoring goals because imo the ME still favors the 'wide play'.

Edited by Armistice

Question about resting players

If I rest my whole team from the calendar, say for two days... I can still Rest them from the right click menu. Shouldn't it be Recall to Training? 

Edited by ZoDiAC_

3 minutes ago, Armistice said:

You can limit the number of crosses of course but with that you reduce the chance of scoring goals because imo the ME still favors the 'wide play'.

I don't play with wingers in my main save, and scoring has not been an issue. It's keeping them out the other end I'm still tinkering with. 

Still some identical annoyances present in the BETA that blighted last year's release:

A bunch of players led by Andy Barcham request a meeting due to poor dressing atmosphere. I agree and promise things will improve.

As a result, loads of the first team are 'Unhappy at the manager's treatment of Andy Barcham

Pardon?

would it be possible to have this changed to a toggle so you can turn it on if you want it and turn it off if you don't

At the minute it's automatically on and when you turn it off you cant turn it back on until you go to another player and it automatically turns itself back on again

bit.thumb.jpg.d92adf90055768645b37f46954db66db.jpg