Your Beta Save for FM19

First of all I've got to say I can't wait for the Beta to drop. I bought Fm17 late and so skipped FM18. So I've not had experience of the medical centre, the revised scouting, dynamics, some of the new player roles etc etc. So as you can imagine I'm itching to have a crack at all that plus all the new stuff on Fm19. 

I usually get through a season in a fortnight so have been think about who I should manage for 1 or 2 seasons in Beta before I start my first long term save with US Créteil in lower league France. 

I'm interested in what everyone is planning for the Beta. I'm thinking of either a decent (not top 6) English team, maybe Everton or Bournemouth and try and get top 4. Or maybe a top team from a slightly lesser league maybe PSV. Anyway... what are your plans for your Beta save? 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my name you should be able to guess my first save,to get familiar with the new bits. but for my first real game I think either Southport (my very local team) or a bit different Macclesfield currently the most English league games without a win (36-iirc) split between last time in league 2 and this season

2 minutes ago, toffee71 said:

From my name you should be able to guess my first save,to get familiar with the new bits. but for my first real game I think either Southport (my very local team) or a bit different Macclesfield currently the most English league games without a win (36-iirc) split between last time in league 2 and this season

Toffee United? What league are they in....

Normally load up all major leagues in Europe, and in England - the Prem and Championship. I start unemployed but start in England with the first Championship job that becomes available. Try to get them out of the mire and into a respectable position, then push for promotion the following season.

A few FMs ago, I think it was 14 or 15, I had a great save with Shrewsbury Town - I might try that again but I always get a feeling, much like with holidays, 'never go back, it won't be the same'...

So, it'll be one of those but I haven't decided which yet.

2 minutes ago, Bjaart said:

Internacional de Madrid. I start my main save during beat every year, and stick to it until next FM. So this year it wil be Spain.

Do you ever experience any issues carrying the beta over to the full game? Any bugs which patches fix which aren't compatible with your save? That's what I am worried about as I wouldn't want to start a long term save and have issues. Hence a couple of seasons of a beta save. 

By the way I love the choice of club for your save. Its similar in my thinking by taking a small club from a major footballing city and take them to the top Madrid for you Paris for me. Good luck with it 👍🏼

12 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Gonna laod up Germany and have a play around with Bayern just to get used to the new game. Once the full game drops it's on with a European journeyman save to top the hall of fame

Love a journeyman save. My fm17 took me from India > Australia > Brazil > Colombia > Portugal. Great fun playing in leagues I've never seen before. I'm always looking out for Deportivo Cali results now after a few dominant seasons in Colombia. 

1 minute ago, improvox said:

Do you ever experience any issues carrying the beta over to the full game? Any bugs which patches fix which aren't compatible with your save? That's what I am worried about as I wouldn't want to start a long term save and have issues. Hence a couple of seasons of a beta save. 

By the way I love the choice of club for your save. Its similar in my thinking by taking a small club from a major footballing city and take them to the top Madrid for you Paris for me. Good luck with it 👍🏼

I have never had any issues with it, so no need to worry in my experience. 

I managed Paris in FM2015 I think it was. Was a lot of fun, and the reason for the choice of Madrid this year. Enjoy and good luck :-) 

9 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Toffee United? What league are they in....

Happily sitting above you:p

My first non-english save will be a bundesliga2 team with low expectations, not sure which yet probably Greuther Furth as I like how it sounds in my rubbish german accent

3 minutes ago, improvox said:

Love a journeyman save. My fm17 took me from India > Australia > Brazil > Colombia > Portugal. Great fun playing in leagues I've never seen before. I'm always looking out for Deportivo Cali results now after a few dominant seasons in Colombia. 

Same mate. My current save on 17 (not playing 18,) has seen me start in Singapore > Malaysia > Qatar > UAE. Managed Huanggang, Perlis, Selangor, Kedah, Al-Khor, Al-Gharrafa and now Al-Wadha, loads of fun! I don't do staying at 1 club forever now, I get bored. My save idea for 19 will be to top the hall of fame and then after that may restart and go for another journeyman save.

1 minute ago, toffee71 said:

Happily sitting above you:p

Well played sir, well played....

Normally it'll be Arsenal but find starting at the top (well a few places below nowadays) gets boring quickly. So currently I've no idea but who ever it is I usually continue the save into the final version unless there are massive problems that can only be fixed with a restart.

41 minutes ago, Bristol CityFC1981 said:

Gonna give Salford City a go, intresed on what budget you get. Seeing as irl they out bid Aberdeen for Adam Rooney.

Massive Salford city fan here.

I am super worried about how the game will handle Salford's finances. Not only is Rooney on a 4K wage, but several others are on a 1K wage. Basically, their wage bill has maybe tripled since FM2018 (or at least doubled). What concerns me is that if the finances are not correct, you will spiral in to red faster that you can say Vanarama National League. Whilst I have no doubt that Peter Lim (principle owner) will come to rescue every time bankruptcy comes near, being permanently in the red makes facility upgrades impossible and will win you no points from the board.

But the fact remains that Salford have a wage structure closer to a League 1 club - yet its fully backed and supported by all the owners. They are actually still investing and spending money. There is even a YouTube video you can watch where Gary Neville explains their financial commitments and how, in the long-run, it is even cheaper to massively invest now and climb the leagues quickly, as oppose to spending years in each league.

Let me know how it goes? :D

Will use beta to familiarise myself with changes, use induction (even though played FM since early Domark days...) and try to develop tactic for main save starting 2 November. Will also use it to identify potential transfers - staff and players and see how much I can get them for etc..........

17 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Same mate. My current save on 17 (not playing 18,) has seen me start in Singapore > Malaysia > Qatar > UAE. Managed Huanggang, Perlis, Selangor, Kedah, Al-Khor, Al-Gharrafa and now Al-Wadha, loads of fun! I don't do staying at 1 club forever now, I get bored. My save idea for 19 will be to top the hall of fame and then after that may restart and go for another journeyman save.

Well played sir, well played....

Thankyou sir, want the toon to stay up (wanted rafa for us).

I havent done a journeyman for years best to start unemployed and no quals?

10 minutes ago, toffee71 said:

Thankyou sir, want the toon to stay up (wanted rafa for us).

I havent done a journeyman for years best to start unemployed and no quals?

How Rafa has stayed is beyond me, Newcastle's owner is determined to destroy us I'm sure of it. 

Well for realism yeah start no rep or badges, but if you've not loaded low enough rep leagues you'll be waiting a while for a job. My aim is to start either in Sweden's lowest league which has been level 4 for as long as I can remember, can't see that changing or if SI release the Gibraltar database on release day again I may start there. Are you going to be posting your updates? I'm going to document my career on here.

23 minutes ago, bennyj22 said:

Massive Salford city fan here.

I am super worried about how the game will handle Salford's finances. Not only is Rooney on a 4K wage, but several others are on a 1K wage. Basically, their wage bill has maybe tripled since FM2018 (or at least doubled). What concerns me is that if the finances are not correct, you will spiral in to red faster that you can say Vanarama National League. Whilst I have no doubt that Peter Lim (principle owner) will come to rescue every time bankruptcy comes near, being permanently in the red makes facility upgrades impossible and will win you no points from the board.

But the fact remains that Salford have a wage structure closer to a League 1 club - yet its fully backed and supported by all the owners. They are actually still investing and spending money. There is even a YouTube video you can watch where Gary Neville explains their financial commitments and how, in the long-run, it is even cheaper to massively invest now and climb the leagues quickly, as oppose to spending years in each league.

Let me know how it goes? :D

Cheers for the reply, interesting read. And I still love the fact to got player ahead of Bristol Rovers too hahaha

St Johnstone - Been a prudently run top half club in Scotland for the past decade, but now face the challenge of a revitalised Hearts and Hibernian to join Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen in the top half. 

Ageing stalwarts have left with younger players brought in, Tony Watt the most noticeable one, has the talent to be far better than the club, but off field issues hamper him and it could be a challenge to harness his obvious ability to it's fullest.

A solid base for a squad, but players who should be easily upgraded, should be an enjoyable long term save as Celtic generally become a behemoth, and it'll take years to get near them.

I'll start with Fiorentina for a few seasons. My goal is to at least take them back into the Champions League, if not topple Juventus in Serie A.

Then I'll manage Shrewsbury in my main long-term save, as it'll be 20 years since I had my first ever CM save with them.

Breaking with the tradition of Arsenal every year, this year it’ll be Bournemouth - my hometown club. 

I recently started a save with them in 18 before caving and preordering 19. 

I managed to pretty solid seasons with them but now is the time to make that my main save.

9 minutes ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Juventus and the 2 november I'll start a new career with Juventus and after the winter update I'll start another with Juventus. That's all

Are you a Juventus fan by any chance?

9 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

How Rafa has stayed is beyond me, Newcastle's owner is determined to destroy us I'm sure of it. I AGREE (different topic though)

Well for realism yeah start no rep or badges, but if you've not loaded low enough rep leagues you'll be waiting a while for a job. My aim is to start either in Sweden's lowest league which has been level 4 for as long as I can remember, can't see that changing or if SI release the Gibraltar database on release day again I may start there. Are you going to be posting your updates? I'm going to document my career on here.

I load it all up, most background though so thats not an issue. Love the idea of starting in Gibraltar, one question about league setup am assuming preferred starting league must be playable, but if I start unemployed and want to wait for job offer will I get them from background leagues? And to your final question this is my 11th post in 6years don't really do online, but I may well do some post some updates as I have time on my hands at the minute.

Might do a Liverpool save in beta while i get used to the new tactics and training stuff when game comes out hopefully by then i will have a better idea of what team i want to manage i am very open to any and all ideas, are there any suggestion threads on this?

2 minutes ago, toffee71 said:

I load it all up, most background though so thats not an issue. Love the idea of starting in Gibraltar, one question about league setup am assuming preferred starting league must be playable, but if I start unemployed and want to wait for job offer will I get them from background leagues? And to your final question this is my 11th post in 6years don't really do online, but I may well do some post some updates as I have time on my hands at the minute.

Gibraltar is hard, all the teams bar 1 are amateur or semi pro so keeping your good players is tough, very rewarding though when you do crack it. As Gibraltar is very VERY low rep if you start unemployed you'll easily get a job there when 1 comes up.

As for your question on background leagues:

1 minute ago, JavierChicharito14 said:

if the league in unplayable , you wont get the job in the league. 

I aim to start in a certain league so have that loaded from the start, when I want to move I will make any leagues playable that I want to try get a job in. Adding / removing leagues is a must on long term journeyman saves.

3 minutes ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Is it noticeable? :lol:

Not really, I just had a hunch you might support The Old Lady, I guess I'm right....

I usually get used to a new edition by starting with a big rich club. Think Spurs appeal as they didnt buy anyone this summer... So theres no new players on high salary new contracts that i cant sell for a season or so.

In greater context it means i can pick a tactical style and hopefully sell anyone that doesnt fit into it. I hate taking over a new club when i want to play a narrow formation and they signed three wingers in the summer who you cant sell for a year. 

Probably a big side to start with just to get used to the new features without the complication of tactical instructions being compromised by limited footballers - I always find this the best way to get an intuitive feel of how the ME works. I'm thinking PSG and the prospect of managing Kylian Mbappe.

After a couple of seasons though, it'll be Sunderland, my own team, for a long-term save, restoring us to the upper echelons of football.

For Beta i shall take on the Bundesliga, RB Liepzig. Then i shall do my customary Chelsea save and then my long term save Cambridge United or Hartlepool or Halifax FC to European Glory. Not sure which one yet.......

Archived