The FM Show Season 2 Episode 4 - Scouting and Transfers

• Administrators

Excitement is building as we approach the Football Manager 2019 Beta, so join Curtis and Tom for a sneak peak at Scouting and Transfers.

Previous Season Two Episodes

Episode 1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlm6PxvdK4UTo
Episode 2https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6APle1WBDU
Episode 3https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbPesblASM

To watch any of the episodes from Season One, all the episodes can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/topic/444138-the-fm-show-season-one/

There are some nice little touches here and there, but this is the one area of the game I care most about, and I have to say I'm disappointed with the number of important changes that have been needed for years and seem to have been ignored yet again. I wrote out a whole list here, but the single most important change that needs to be made is this:

You are able to agree to transfers and renew loans outside of the transfer window, and they are simply implemented on the first day it opens again. However, for some reason you aren't able to preemptively negotiate or finalize loan deals the same way. There doesn't seem to be any reasoning behind this, and it's incredibly restrictive of your transfer strategy, especially when managing a smaller club that relies heavily on loans. I often have to decide between signing outright a mediocre player or loaning a better, younger kid from a larger club that I could never hope to sign outright, but that leaves me with the choice of either securing the older guy now or having to just sit around riskily waiting and hoping a loan could materialize later because it cannot be preplanned for. This is unrealistic and very frustrating.

You can see in the lists of 2018 transfer activity in EnglandItaly, and Spain that this does happen in real life. Two quick examples in the English link are a loan confirmed to a German club on 27 May when their window doesn't open until 1 July, and a loan confirmed to a Scottish club on 7 June when their window doesn't open until 9 June. The loans listed here are just the dates the deals were officially confirmed - without a doubt many of these began negotiations prior even if they're not finalized until after, especially in smaller leagues not listed here where teams are more reliant on loanees.

If real life shows we should be able to negotiate and confirm loan deals before the window opens, and if the game already handles/allows transfers and loan renewals before the window, surely this is a relatively simple addition, no? It just doesn't make sense to have one and not the other - why continue to only accommodate half of football's transfer activity?

I want to be excited about new features (and I am!) but the whole experience has been soured a bit to see FM continue to make cosmetic or strategic changes but continue to flat-out ignore such a simple, straight-forward, real aspect of football that is just inexplicably left out completely. Why can I tell my team what kind of specific training exercise to do at 1:30 PM on a Monday before I can arrange a loan deal properly? :seagull:

Some nice little new features. Great job guys! :)

When I watch the video's of the live streaming on Twitch.tv, I do get the idea that the transfer values haven't been tweaked a lot? In general I feel the prices are still below the real world deals. The SI team for example buys Frenkie de Jong with Leverkusen for an possible total fee of of 24 million whilst in real life Ajax stated they want at least 50 million for him. Of course my assumption here could be wrong, curious to see more transfers when the Beta version will be released. 

3 hours ago, Cedrik said:

Some nice little new features. Great job guys! :)

When I watch the video's of the live streaming on Twitch.tv, I do get the idea that the transfer values haven't been tweaked a lot? In general I feel the prices are still below the real world deals. The SI team for example buys Frenkie de Jong with Leverkusen for an possible total fee of of 24 million whilst in real life Ajax stated they want at least 50 million for him. Of course my assumption here could be wrong, curious to see more transfers when the Beta version will be released. 

Was thinking the same thing. Not sure it bodes well that Miles himself seemed 100% confident the deal wouldn't go through and then it did. Then again, frankly I'm still baffled that so many people play the opening transfer window at all because it basically means the game world has two in one summer because the starting database is already updated post-transfer window. Perhaps it's possible the AI squad-building is put a bit out of wack by this?

• 1 month later...

Archived