[FM18] Going out on a Lim

Diego Imposta

Deportivo were up next and we all knew what to expect from them. Aggression, commitment, and a new playmaker in Oihan Sancet. He was a € 2,6M signing from Athletic off the back of his incredible year for Bilbao in the Segunda B2 making two assists every three games. He was one to watch for us.

We needed minutes under the belts of Ivars and Juan. Rumour had it that Alemany wanted them in the side in case Montes and Esquerdo were off in the summer. The remit was to develop players not to win the league. Bendtner would lead the midfield for a second chance with Orquín recalled to the starting eleven along with Centelles and Huesca. The second-choice goalkeeper had been rotated so well with Rivero but his stats were incredible – seven clean sheets in eight games and just one goal conceded! Next season would tell us if that was more by luck than judgment but he was learning his trade from first-team goalkeeper Neto now and the results were looking impressive. We loved him.

In the early Saturday kick-offs Barcelona B and Granada both secured 3-0 home victories to keep up the pressure. After 30 games they had 56 and 54 points respectively, while we were on 67 after just 29 games. With only an almighty collapse to stop them, Granada were all but assured promotion. It was difficult for Mestalla and Barcelona B as we were essentially playing for fun, but after coming in to the league and taking it by storm we had shown that our academies were improving rapidly and it bode well for La Liga. Only ten points separated the top six in the top division so next season had to either be about youth or spending to pull away. Valencia and Barcelona could now afford to do both.

The second promotion spot from Liga 1 2 3 was going to be fought for until the final day. It really was anyone’s guess as to who would put together a decent second half of the season as it was very tight.

We would push up at Riazor, aiming to keep their target man Alegría as far away from our box as we could. In the pouring rain the opening exchanges were of poor quality and the home side controlled the game. The first chance fell to the striker when put through after we failed to hold onto the small amount of ball we had. We had to be a bit more clever and hit them on the break. Not that a break is forthcoming. At half time we had one just shot. A retreat into our 4-4-1-1 before the half was out got a foothold in the game but Ortiz felt that letting the players know we were proud would boost their confidence. Aside from the defence and Pérez none of these players had even played ten times yet.

We took the lead in the most fortuitous of circumstances. A poor pass through was set to be claimed by the Deportivo ‘keeper but he mistimed his kneel and claim, allowing Orquín to run in behind him and tap into an empty net. Some credit should go to Bendtner for his role in holding the ball well on the flank of all places. The players were fired up, morale was growing, and we held out to win three points. The trouble was Bendtner. Still no vim about him and still no great impact. With Granada up next after Nástic, it was time to bed in a first eleven with a twist. Ortiz was keen to promote his own starting eleven and I was happy enough with a few tweaks. Pérez would look to link the forward line rather the defensive one, and Damián would break into the box from behind Orquín. We would be a full strength side with no excuses. Performances had to improve. After a quick chat they knew what had to be done. Mladenovic finally got the call for the senior Montenegro side for friendlies away at Belarus and Kazakhstan, while there was fantastic news for our central defensive partnership Sergio and Mejía who earned their first call to international football with Spain Under-20s with two home games against Israel then Bosnia and Herzegovina. Youth football had largely been off our radar as we kept Grau and his youth team intact. However, they were currently second in their league and a league title secured would see us cherry pick a few of their players for some Liga 1 2 3 experiences.

We began the game at Paterna with a real professional swagger against their narrow 4-3-3. A wide cross from Montes, along the ground as instructed, saw Orquín thump a volley into the roof of the net on 25 minutes to see us ahead. Five minutes later the winger was at it again but the striker was pulled down. Penalty! Damián coolly stepped up and watched on as it was batted away. The strike was too central and he paid for it. Esquerdo was having just as much fun down the left, eventually getting his reward with a diagonal cross into Orquín who doubled the lead in injury time with a real expression of a strike into the top corner. Bendtner was thrown on for an unusually sombre Damián.

With an hour played, Mladenovic was given a send-off in front of Bendtner. Our two biggest men in the front line together. Within four minutes the Montenegrin cracked a header off the bar and out.

A short burst of energy from Nástic saw Huesca pull off save after save. He really was unstoppable!

After the match, we learned of more matches being moved for television: Granada and Barcelona B. It was exciting. With the 3-3 draw at Almería and the Nástic game just gone, we would be on TV four times in seven games. The country was really taking notice. With Granada labouring to an Albacete goalless draw away we were sixteen points clear at the top of the league with 11 games to go. If we held on then the last five games of the season would be redundant – and vital experience for some under-19s players. If we managed to beat Granada and then Barcelona we could be the champions!

Eibar were still eight points from safety with eight games to go – the players had not improved at all.

A terrible run of four losses and a draw saw the Valencia first team slip out of Europe to Sporting and eight points off the title. Pereira’s dream was all but over.

The welcome return to training of Lee Kangin meant we could push on without Mladenovic. He had to settle for a place on the bench as did Bendtner due to Lapeña’s recall to number ten. Damián and Gómez would remain in reserve too as we looked to keep almost the same team and squad for this.

Reus were struggling. Slipping into the relegation zone last weekend, they had a real job on to save their status. A classic opening half hour from my Mestalla side got the goal it deserved, Lapeña’s hit from his own half releasing Orquín to let his pace do the rest. The kid was on fire again and we loved it on the bench. Kangin was brought on at half time to replace a tired and booked Masó – we would play with two playmakers in the middle of the park like we were Real Madrid. Constant pressure on the Reus back line gave us another goal – Orquín backheeling for Lapeña to strike high into the net.

At this rate, there was no chance that Bendtner was getting offered a new deal in the summer. He is badly off the pace and skulking about the pitch. Every ball up to him as the substitute striker is lost…

And then he takes one from Lapeña outside the box, turns and launches a rocket into the top corner five minutes from time. Incredible. A goal and two assists from Lapeña was the most satisfying of all.

Granada had a home game against similarly beleaguered Racing but made no mistake this time, 4-0.

They were so similar to us in their set-up, their players, and their defensive solidity. The entire back four and goalkeeper made the team of the week. We had to fear them. But there were positives in the form of Mladenovic getting off the mark on his Montenegro debut. He rose highest in a snowy Kazakhstan to open the scoring as half-time substitute in their 3-0 win. It was food for thought as I hadn’t considered him as the right-hand man in a three-pronged attack. He could be very useful too.

Six goals in four games earned Orquin the player of the month award. He really had an exceptional form going into the Granada game and I couldn’t wait to congratulate him. The stakes were so high for our next match and we would spring a tactical surprise, reverting to the 5-3-2 wingback style. In came Rivero in goal, Badal into the middle of defence, and Estacío on the right flank. We would look to defend in front of an anticipated crowd of 25 000 at Nuevo Los Cármenes. It was our biggest test.

We had equalled the club’s unbeaten record set last with last season’s promotion – avoiding a loss would break it. We got to the stadium and it was a see of red and white hoops. Our black away top marked us out as the visitors. An excellent opening five minutes from both sides rewarded those TV public. We had the closest chance, Damián and Orquín causing havoc up front and the former head over the bar with a good cross from Centelles. The move had started out on the right side by Estacío.

A goal kick from Rivero justified his inclusion. It went all the way down the right flank into the feet of Damián. After laying the ball off to Masó who pushed it wide to Estacío, his wing experience saw him make the run for the wingback to pick out. He collected it, beat his man, whipped in a cross, and saw Orquín nip in front of his marker to hook it in on the half-volley! What a strike from the player of the month, full of confidence. Granada started to zip the ball about with pace from kick-off, trying to get us unnerved. It was only a matter of time and after ten minutes of extended pressure they got their reward. We had allowed the to play the ball inside our box for too long and they made the equaliser look easy. We had to step up and try to gain control of the ball. The relentless Granada pressure just continued and we had no foot hold on the game. Their front four were tearing us to pieces and eight minutes before half time they had the lead, again from playing down the flanks and off into our box.

With the ball continuously hitting off heels we were looking a joke in the final minutes of the half. It was easy to see that we needed to change formation at the break. Gómez was brought on the inside forward on the left, Badal making way. Damián took the right wing, Lee Kangin the number ten. For all our endeavour in the opening 20 minutes, Granada were just too strong for us. The second half was not one for the spectators, with just two more shots from either side and the game finished 2-1.

Nestor Salinas ran the show in midfield for the home side, his equaliser galvanised them into attack and we just couldn’t cope with their quick movement with and without the ball. Experienced quality had finally toppled us with possibly the best individual performance we had seen in six months. Late substitutes Artime and Lapeña had replaced Pérez and Lee Kangin and even then the writing was on the wall. Before we could hear of the Barcelona result Pereira was on the phone. I couldn’t imagine what he wanted to talk about after this game but surprisingly it was not about that. Bendtner had all but signed back to the Danish top division, receiving three offers to do so at the end of his contract. I was reluctant to hear that Pereira had also offered him a deal but this was out of my hands. He isn’t a player that was working out but I hoped to have a few more goals from him before the end of year.

A 1-0 win for Barcelona at home kept the pressure on. We were still 13 points clear of Granada and they three clear of two sides. The last couple of weeks had seen Sporting Gijón pull away from other teams and open up an eight-point gap with nine games to go. We all had the biggest goal differences by some distance so it was only fitting up we finished as the de facto top four. To my utter dismay, I heard that Pereira had given Bendtner what he wanted – a big pay rise and another year added to his deal.

For the third year running, Valencia Mestalla were set for a record points haul in league football. The season before last, 80 points and third place set the tone for last season’s 84-point repeat finish. But crucially they won their play-offs and the rest is my history in the making. We were on 76 right now, with 27 to play for. It wouldn’t be that easy, though, as next up were Elche who had produced one of the performances of the season in beating us 1-4 at their place in November. Aside from two defeats on the road in that first week of the season, we had only lost three more. Osasuna and Granada had also beaten us at their place yet our home form was incredible: fourteen wins, two draws, no losses.

The week after this Barcelona came to down, and while we were unable to secure the title just yet, I had one eye on that game already. Rivero, Badal, and Lapeña were still not fully fit and play again in preparation. Gómez and Bendtner would have to make substitute appearances but the reserves had done enough to make the squad. The team largely picked itself; a meritocracy to matchday squads in the middle of the season paying dividends. In other results, two of the top four dropped points away from home. Barcelona B drew 3-3 at nearly-relegated Racing, while Sporting Gijón drew 1-1 away at mid-table Numancia. Neither should be in any danger of dropping out of the top four with a 10-point cushion to the rest. A gale had enveloped the coast this weekend – could we pass this tempest test?

Genaro needed dealing with after five minutes, the deep playmaker allowed to orchestrate the pass far too easily. One of Lapeña and Lee Kangin were always going to be near him, too. Quick passes on the deck once it was won back led to Orquín holding it up and slipping in the South Korean to dribble and finish for 1-0 with an early goal. We pushed up, looking to squeeze our central trio next to theirs to generate more transitions that led to the goal. Abel in the middle next to Genaro was now a main beneficiary of our early pressing so Pérez would have his defensive work cut out too. We laboured to half time, acknowledged the need to control the ball down the flanks, but knew we were now at risk.

A sweeping move on two minutes got Montes inside his man, sending the ball across to Lee Kangin, and watched as Esquerdo tested the goalkeeper but not well enough. A wayward volley soon after in front of goal saw him replaced by Gómez, and a now locked-down Orquín hooked for Bendtner. We had struggled to seal the game and Elche were giving it everything. With fifteen to go Masó was on, Pérez tiring, to win back possession. Bendtner was asked to push higher and send their defenders on a path to their own goal. We had adapted to the weather with agricultural play. We saw them off for what seemed an eternal second half and in the dressing room no-one was left in any doubt as to the need to improve next week. 79 points and eight games to play. We should blitz a points total record.

Barcelona had better players than us. It was a fact. Yet we had knit these youths into a formidable, in defensive terms at least, title challenging side. Huesca returned in goal, eager to play with a training performance above all others, while Mejía also returned after sitting out the last game. Badal made way after losing his verve during the week. Damián and Gómez won the front-line roles ahead of the other strikers. As usual, all six wingers were inseparable with their application, but this was too big a game for Ivars and Juan. The younger players of my squad were on a general phase-out as we looked to make room once we had secured the title. With most of Barcelona’s play coming down their right, Centelles and Esquerdo would push on in an attempt to pin them back. The game was a clash of the promoted titans, and the first half an hour provided no quarter. A cruel mis-timing of a header from Sergio let them in. Kabashi had the goal at his mercy and struck the inside of the post. It was a huge let-off. Gómez had previously squandered a breakaway pulling his shot wide of the post. As half time came Ortiz and I were already boiling with rage. We had done nothing to suggest we could score. We instructed the wingers to push up into the faces of their fullbacks. I wanted so much more than this.

A nothing cross from a breakaway was gathered by Huesca, but Sergio was already coming steaming in and collided with his goalkeeper. The two men and ball all ended up the wrong side of the line and we were a goal down. It was the most stupid goal I had seen in my four years as a manager. There’d been 20 shots between the two sides and only two on target and this is what broke the deadlock. On came Lee Kangin in place of Gómez but to little avail. With twenty minutes remaining I had to throw the dice. The wingers were off, Badal and Orquín on. We went 5-3-2 WB and duly collapsed a minute later. 0-2 to Barcelona with an amazing strike – one of the best we’d seen at Paterna all year – from a volley from outside the box. We did not manage a shot on target in the whole game, and none at all in the second half. It was game over too easy and was a dreadful way to lose our unbeaten run at home. In the press conference after the game I said the players should be embarrassed. With such a malaise having crept in to the entire side it was time to give those who had been maligned a chance, starting at the weekend. The sickening feeling would take some time in my mind to shake. We’re still 13 points clear at the top but with 21 to play for there was this knot in my stomach. Two defeats in a trio of games – it was a record as bad as my first week on the job. What could be done? Was it just a bad day at the office? Tenerife was our longest journey of the season up next, so we had a little time to train.

Tenerife had snuck into the top six with Almería and both were now five points clear of the rest. On Monday technical coach López recommended a lighter training programme, focussing on ball work. Perhaps tiredness was to blame for the recent dip in performance but right now I wasn’t convinced.

It was time to take stock. Centelles was our undisputed team leader now, although most of what he did went unnoticed. Badal, who had been transfer listed by Pereira, and Sergio were still influential players and should be our defensive rock, the same as Estacío. However, the right back’s progression had been hindered this season. Like with Juan and Ivars on the wings, director Alemany would be in consultation Pereira over their futures. Lee Kangin, Masó and Bendtner all had yet to really settle in this side and before I knew it we had everyone but the goalkeeper for the weekend match. The usual suspects would fill the bench, punishment for their profligacy in the Barcelona game. The only place to resolve was goalkeeper. Tenerife were now leading scorers in Liga 1 2 3 with their 4-3-3 but they were also very vulnerable to conceding, shipping more than anyone else in the top two-thirds of the league. Huesca was given a reprieve from the comical own goal scored by Sergio and started today.

It was a difficult start in the Canary islands. The tight, narrow formation was killing our pass chances and they were using the breeze to launch direct balls to the front three, bypassing out midfield. The stress got to Estacío, caught in two minds with his man and taking him down with both feet. It was a red card with just 20 minutes on the clock. We had no choice but to go three at the back with a lone striker and Centelles at left centre back. Again. Tenerife soon countered and struck the underside of the bar. We got away with it. After we tightened up and got our discipline back, we coasted into the break. I had been aggressive pre-match, warning them of the need to improve but a moment of poor judgment from Estacío had set us back. We had been unlucky to the lose the man advantage and all we could do was sympathise with those that remained. Counter attack was our only option and now Bendtner knew he wasn’t long for this game. However, his motivation shone through and we’d ask if he could pull those defenders back with his physical presence, allowing the wingbacks to attack too.

A breath-taking double switch across the flanks got Tenerife ahead. The finish was a tap-in but their build-up play was sumptuous, spraying 30-metre passes in quick succession. We were finished, here.

Lee Kangin pulled up with injury soon after and we had to change formation again, owing to no more central players on the bench. Buñuel was on at right back and we reverted to the 4-4-1-1 formation, without a man in the hole. Tenerife countered our broken counter and we were 0-2 down away. We had nothing left but still had 20 minutes to play. Damián was on for Bendtner, visibly frustrated, and only then did we begin to play. Pérez and Masó were having awful games in the middle of the park but their grace under pressure led to Damián taking the ball in his stride, beating a defender, and the finish was excellent. Was there enough in the tank for a comeback? The next substitution was vital.

In a moment of creativity, I pulled Juan out of it. Centelles had to attack the whole flank himself. The pacey Orquín was brought on in front of Damián. We fought and fought but a rasping Tenerife strike two minutes from time buried us. For a time. Deep, deep into injury time Orquín pulled one back in the sixth added minute. There was heart here for sure. Despite the result I was pleased with them. I hadn’t seen much of us in adversity. We can’t throw away this title…

Córdoba were 17th in the league and despite the game being on the road was just the tonic we really desperately needed. A classic Spanish 4-4-2 side with a focus on ball retention, strong characters and leaders, the trip was fairly straightforward into Andalusia. Lee Kangin would be out for the season. It was a hammer blow as the poor kid never really got started with us. Estacío and Masó were out, too, with suspension for the red card and five yellows respectively. It was a case of back to basics during the week, with a scrapping of the 5-3-2 WB formation and an introduction on 4-1-2-3 DM Wide. The change was to get the best out of Masó on his return. He was doing well but with Lee Kangin out we were back to three central midfielders and until a time when I could trust myself with a number ten again, I had to get the best out of the boys. Whoever played there was so inconsistent and easily got out of the game. Masó was comfortable putting in meaty challenges and breaking up play and those central defenders needed urgent help. We were shipping goals when we had been tight all year long.

We took it back to basics. Pérez had been a target of late with the way he held onto the ball, and the build-up play was stymied as a result. The players took it on board and, after teething problems, got the on the front foot. A devilish steal by Orquín enabled him to run around the corner and coolly slot home on 17 minutes. Twice Córdoba had broke from out set-pieces and we were lucky to be ahead.

After loosening up a bit the goal-scorer did the opposite and had to come off with a tight hamstring.

Gómez was doing his best impression up front as the replacement but the second half would see the opposition come at us. I ceded territory and instructed the boys to drop back and swap the front two around, Lapeña the one with a little more guile. We hadn’t done the job yet – do not switch off now.

The first chance of the second half fell to Gómez after the third striker of the day held it up and put him through. The goalkeeper was more than equal to it, though, and we cursed his luck. The passes soon flowed through him and we just weren’t cute enough in the finish. Lapeña was desperate for a goal now and into the final ten minutes he was shooting from everywhere. Córdoba offered little in the form of a threat and the ten point lead had been restored. We were three away from the record.

Osasuna’s Unzué was keen to diffuse our war of words earlier in the season, in part due to pressure on him and his position in manager. Quite what he had done was beyond me as they were predicted mid table and that’s where they were but perhaps the board were tired of him running his mouth in the press and attracting negative attention. With three home games back to back, we would secure the title in front of our fans. If we kept to the script. It was basic shape again tonight until they had earned my trust once more. A packed Paterna – we were averaging crowds of 3 500 now – groaned as Gómez struck the bar with a gilt-edged chance early doors. He was recalled to left wing, Montes on the right, after impressing during the week. We were a credit to ourselves, working hard in their half and playing on the front foot but the finish was still lacking. Mladenovic had worked his way on to the bench, Bendtner perhaps finished already. An exhilarating breakaway from our guests in the final minute ricocheted off Rivero’s bar. It was a vital lesson in not switching off. These players were so desperate for that league title they were out on their feet. After ten minutes of no breakthrough, the Montenegrin was on for Orquín. With still nothing Damián was on at number ten. Osasuna were waiting for their moment and they took it, a second bite at a cross sailing past the goalkeeper and it stopped us dead. We had nothing left to give and had to wait for the Granada result later in the day.

It was 1-1! We were nine points clear with four games to go. I we didn’t win the league at home to Sporting Gijón, who were 4th, we had every chance to seal it at home to Numancia. Both were now on television but we had lost four of our last six. Gijón had dropped points and were now only three ahead of Tenerife so they would be motivated to get a result against us. We played the day before Granada this week but the day after next time out. It was in our hands and the staff were desperate to either secure the league before or after the Numancia game. Paterna needed to be rocking again.

The same squad and starting eleven were picked, with a slight tactical tweak in anticipation of their asymmetrical formation. Gómez would come inside and Montes would pull a little deeper down the right. Our left and their right would be the key battle ground this time around. We had to be ready.

There was an excellent pace to the game from the off, passes pinging off insteps from both sides. It came as some shock when centre forward Azcona curled a beauty into the top corner soon after he picked it up. Three minutes on the clock. The silence was deafening. We responded well, keeping it tight and pushing the ball around. A moment of magic from Montes saw him skip past his man. The crowd were on their feet. The whipped ball into Orquín was met with no jump – he had been pulled back! Penalty! He waved away his captain and grabbed the ball under his arm. He wanted this one.

Goal! High and left, the ‘keeper had no chance! The fans were jubilant but it was cut short minutes later, Azcona getting ahead of Sergio to a ball over the top and again his shooting boots were on. In at the near post. First time. We didn’t learn at all and he was in again ten minutes later. Centelles is last man and hauls him down. Diabolical from our captain but no card. The penalty was blazed over.

We ended the game with four times as many shots. We failed.

Numancia would play a classic 4-2-3-1 Wide with an inside forward on the left and an attacking full back on the right. The double pivot had a destroyer and a metronome, with a striker hanging off the shoulder of the last man. They were remarkably similar to the style of play that enabled us to go 16 points clear at the top. But that didn’t work for us any more – we were too tired, just like our tactics.

Finally, we were ready to unleash 4-1-2-3 Wide. All three centre backs would play, Sergio just ahead of the other two. Masó would offer further protection in front of him as a shuttle between the lines.

Buñuel was recalled to right back to offer attacking threat behind Montes, while Gómez would cut in from the left wing with Centelles overlapping where possible. Bendtner would drop deep to facilitate the wide men. Masó and Sergio would be key today, snuffing out Numancia’s asymmetric attackers.

I was picking these players from a squad of 18 that were, in this moment, our most senior. Training was immaterial now. This was tactical, the players best suited for the job at hand. There was still the matter of motivation, though. Win the game to win the league. What more inspiration did anyone in this position need? Granada play the day before and we would expect them to win. The title should be achieved in front of these fantastically loyal Valencia fans, not in absentia. We wanted Granada to win to give us the satisfaction of putting on a show. It may be the last time technical coach López got to see it, as mid-table B1 side Samozas were rumoured to be keen on approaching him to lead them.

Granada blew it. 0-2 away at Elche, conceding both goals so late: 86 and 94 minutes. We had won it!

1000/1 rank outsiders Valencia Mestalla are Liga 1 2 3 champions at the first attempt. Paterna would be rocking, six defeats in eight or not. I felt remarkably calm! It had been a season of perfection with these players. We were the immovable object for three quarters of the season, having gone top way back in game week 10. Everything just fell into place: the players, the system, the staff. It’s incredible to think that the objective was just to develop players and we turned them into the league winners!

Onto matchday, the small matter of celebrating in front of a full house of 3 500 fans and associates.

An extremely tight first half hour in some driving rain didn’t stop the crowd from cheering our every pass. The cheers went nuclear when Pérez clipped a diagonal ball over the defence straight into the path of Bendtner and he side-footed past the onrushing goalkeeper. 1-0 to Mestalla! He had really picked his moment! Five minutes later Masó’s deep freekick fell to Pérez and he smashed it in off a wet post for two. There was pandemonium in the stands! Numancia were the division’s form team!

The olés began in earnest at the start of the second half. Another Masó freekick eventually found its way to Pérez again. He set himself… crossbar! The players were clearly enjoying themselves tonight.

Ten minutes in Montes was replaced by Damián, the young kid just not able to find his passes. It had taken an hour for Numacia to find their feet, and a smart whipped cross was cleared by Mejíá. But it only travelled half a metre before ricocheting off the striker and in. It was a desperately unlucky goal to concede but we had to react. We dropped deeper, looking to eradicate those balls into the wings.

Bendtner was fading from so little football recently and Orquín was on with 25 minutes to play. He’d need to hound those defenders to stop them playing out from the back. We held firm. With that out of the way, Gómez made way for Esquerdo with 15 to play. We needed the winger to come on and stretch that defence, Centelles to maraud behind him now. It settled us and we began to control the game. Into the final minute and the tension was relieved, a blood letting of the highest order. Masó, outside the box, swivelled to play in Orquín. First time. Goal. He wheeled over to the corner of the stadium and cartwheeled toward the corner flag! This was the way to celebrate with the wonderful fans. The last phases of play were played in such a professional manner that any one of these could handle promotion to the Valencia first team. They were professional to a man and as much as those two games left should be for youth, many would move on and that was beyond my control. Instead, those who’d patiently waited for their chance could see out the duo of games to honour Liga 1 2 3.

The sole focus would be on the new formation, 4-1-2-3 DM Wide, now as next season would be very different. There was no way we could repeat this fate. It was quite literally our thousand to one shot.

It was nearly three months since those out of favour had played. They could make possibly their last appearance as a league winner for Mestalla. Who knows what Pereira would do with his pre-season?

And what about my own pre-season? I couldn’t possibly stay. There was no greater achievement to be had outside of La Liga. I should be able to make the step up to top flight football in any country of my choosing. I would leave Valencia Mestalla in the highest possible position they could ever reach.

And it would be right away. There was no chance of the Barcelona job which, if the newspapers were to be believed, would be available soon but there was little else on offer on the east coast or La Liga. I just didn’t have it in me to take over a struggling side at the end of the year and it many ways it was a blessing that I wasn’t chosen by Eibar or Celta, moving to a part of the country that I didn’t know at all. I needed a bigger task, a risk to leave it all behind and wait to see who would come with me later.

I needed circumstance; the right job at the right time. I needed pressure to succeed; the expectation to win. Sometimes you just know the value of your own cache and gamble the lot. I needed to get on a plane; I'm going to South America.

I engineered the press coverage, firing off an email to an old despised contact at joe.ie who lived for this sort of thing. I brazenly declared a wish to be associated with another club, a club of prestige far beyond my current employment. I needed them to know that I was hell-bent on becoming manager of their club before news broke that I had resigned. It was my penultimate act at Valencia Mestalla.

I wanted to step off the plane as a free agent but to do so there was just the small matter of tending my resignation. I called the Director General, a company man first and foremost, and informed him I was leaving with immediate effect. He was caught off guard by the timing but hardly surprised. I had to honour the local press with the story or face having a long legal process holding up my career. It’s no less than I expected; Valencia are more important than any one man. Later that morning, he had The Valencian Football Review attend Paterna for a hasty press conference. The players and staff at the club had no idea what was coming, not even Ortiz. Everything was in place for him to manage in my absence and, if the board had any sense, they would give him the job on a permanent basis too.

The final touches to my CV would be completed on the way there. I would hand in my application in person. I had a league win to add, the development of players for the first team, and manager of the month awards. The press conference was short and sweet – the club was in incredible shape but as a young, ambitious manager I could do no more here. My career had taken me down the Catalan coast into the Valencian community, via the volcanic hills both inland and island, but I had to prove myself in a bigger cauldron if I was ever to get the opportunity to return to a heavyweight in my own region.

An eight-hour flight from Madrid would bring me in to the next day. There was plenty of work to do, formulating plans and putting together reports on the new squad and I could sleep once contact had been made. I wouldn’t expect an interview when I woke up but I could certainly find my way into the stadium for the last match of their winless Copa Libertadores group campaign. The players wouldn’t expect me there, if the story even broke in the continent, so I’d get a good look at who was really up for the challenge. They wouldn’t be playing to impress a new manager: the game was a dead rubber.

In the league, they had languished in mid-table when they were the favourites to win it before a ball had been kicked. All their rivals were above them at the end of the opening stage but the intermedio would be the proving ground to get a head of steam for the closing stage. It wasn’t impossible to win the title but the first objective would be to close the gap to the top four to secure Copa Libertadores football. Even the Copa Sudamerica was in doubt with a number of teams in the middle of the table on the same points – finishing top eight was a task in itself. With 10 defeats in the last 12 games, I’d have my work cut out…

Archived