Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Hewison

[Singapore] (Official) League Specific Issues

Please post any specific issues for Singapore here. This is for any issue which does not relate to data and is for areas such as:

- Competition Rules (Leagues and Cups)
- Disciplinary Rules
- Transfer Rules

We would request you all to adhere to the following three point plan when posting in here:

- State what you think is specifically wrong in your league.
- State how you think it should be working.
- State reasons/proof for your corrections/improvements.

Please note that specific data issues for Singapore should be posted in the Database and Research Issues forum.

Every year I start in a random league (normally one I've not played in before) and this year was the Singapore Prem. After a bit of research into my new home it appears that a lot of changes were made for the 2018 season (which the game starts halfway through) to try and improve Singapore youth football which don't appear to have been reflected in-game, at least not in the 2019 season which I am now partway through.

I'm obviously not a local, so I may be wrong, but from what I gather the following league rules were implemented:

• It is compulsory for each of the SPL's six local clubs to recruit at least six Under-23 footballers for their squad, with a minimum of three Under-23 players to feature in the starting 11 for each match. The first U-23 player must be replaced by another, if the substitution occurs in the 1st half. Beyond this, any U-23 players can be replaced by any other players.

I appreciate that the ME won't support the sub thing, but I currently have no age restrictions for my squad or my starting XI.

• Depending on the squad size, each team is to sign at least eight local players aged 24 to 30. A 25-man squad will need to have nine local U-23 players and 10 local players aged 24 to 30.

As above, I have seen no age restrictions when naming my squad, except that U21 players don't need to be registered, which also seems incorrect.

• Introduction of age quotas, with teams allowed to sign only two to six players above the age of 30, depending on squad size. For example, for squad between 19 and 22 players, there must be minimum of six under-23 players and 8 under-30 players. This will apply to all club except Young Lions and Albirex Niigata (S).

No indication of this in-game, although I haven't tried to sign anybody over 30.

• Young Lions can sign a maximum of 33 players for the season.

I believe these are a Singapore U21/23 team so may not be manageable, or even if the game can support such a rule. Unfortunately I am nowhere near the game at the moment so cannot check if they have signed more (I doubt it).

• The foreign player quota for clubs will be reduced from three to two with no age restriction placed on them.

I can still have three in my squad (plus unlimited foreign U21's) but this rule appears to have been reversed for the 2019 season so can probably be ignored.

• Albirex Niigata (S) has age restrictions imposed by the FAS for the new season. The squad will be made up of 50% of U23 players, 50% of U21 players and one player of any age. This is excluding 2 Singapore U-23 players which they can choose to sign.

I don't manage these, so can't comment if this is in-game or if the engine will even support it.

• All matches will be played during weekends at 5:30 p.m.

I'm not near the game so can't check this for certain, but I've definitely had midweek games. EDIT: All league games are currently kicking off at weekends at 19:30.

• Each team will receive $888,200 if they meet key performance indicators that will be made known to them before the March 31 kick-off.

I guess this has been dropped in favour of traditional positional prize money, which I agree makes most sense.

This information was taken from the Official Singaporean FA website, specifically this post which includes the Key Changes PDF. Other information was taken from Wikipedia, which is sourced, but I know not everyone takes that as fact.

If a local, other player, or actual fan of the league want to correct me on any point I may have missed or misunderstood in-game (or out) please feel free.

Edited by BML

Sorry for the double-post, but I didn't want this to get caught up in all the league stuff above.

The Singapore League Cup appears to have ended after the 2017 season in an effort to reduce fixture congestion. Unfortunately the Singaporean FA don't seem to have mentioned this officially (not anywhere I can find after a quick search around) but it certainly wasn't played in 2018 and nothing appears to have been scheduled in 2019.

This competition is still in-game as of the 2019 season.

Thanks @Ed Hewison.

Further to my other points I think that the date of the Singapore Cup Final needs looking at too.

While I am only in 2019, the Final has so far been played on 30th November and 1 December. As 30th November is 'contract expiry day'/End of Loan Day this obviously means that clubs in this match are likely to be weaker than if the game was played a day or two earlier (I lost my star player on the day of the game this season).

Looking through the history of this game it is always played before this date, although the date does move around.

On 20/11/2018 at 21:15, BML said:

Thanks @Ed Hewison.

Further to my other points I think that the date of the Singapore Cup Final needs looking at too.

While I am only in 2019, the Final has so far been played on 30th November and 1 December. As 30th November is 'contract expiry day'/End of Loan Day this obviously means that clubs in this match are likely to be weaker than if the game was played a day or two earlier (I lost my star player on the day of the game this season).

Looking through the history of this game it is always played before this date, although the date does move around.

Thanks @BML.

This is something that we are already looking to rectify.

Am not sure if this is under a database or league issue however would like to bring up that: 

Singapore actually has National Service that lasts 2 years for all males that is not reflected in-game at the moment. Males are usually called up before turning 21 years of age. 

On 12/01/2019 at 08:38, Gobflabber said:

Am not sure if this is under a database or league issue however would like to bring up that: 

Singapore actually has National Service that lasts 2 years for all males that is not reflected in-game at the moment. Males are usually called up before turning 21 years of age. 

Thanks @Gobflabber.

This is something we have under review.

Not sure if this specifically related to Singapore League. I started a new game without any job at hand and I was accepted at Duli Pengiran Muda Mahkota FC (DPMM for short). So, naturally all domestic players should be from Singapore and all scouts did propose mostly such players and their knowledge was 100% for that country. I did play a long season and I finally found out that my team considers Singaporean players as foreigners!! It turns out the team belongs to Brunei... I did notice that at the beginning but I was not sure if Singaporeans were considered domestic or not - I have no idea of how things work in Southeast Asia, my bad.

Obviously I cannot continue that game as I can't find and sign any players from Brunei - got flooded in Singaporeans which I can have only 3 of them in my team!! Lost 20+ hours. Sad thing I invested too much time to search for staff, tactics etc. Please check all the teams at least belong to the correct countries and competitions.

Edited by lottoarchitect

DPMM are one of the three 'special' teams in the Singapore league (I did a bit of research when I started there in FM19) and are, in fact, from Brunei. Due to a lack of league in Brunei they seem to jump around the leagues in the area. Playing as them would need you to play a 'Youth Intake' type save, unless you specifically loaded Brunei players into the database on starting.

Albirex are from Japan and have similar restricitons placed on their squads, but there are more Japanese players in the game despite this also being an unplayable country.

The third 'special' team is Young Lions who are supposed to be restricted, by age, on who they can sign, but this isn't implemented in game (see my posts above).

Ok... the case is I created a large database (150K or 180K players I think) and many nations included - works fine despite the 0.5 star speed rating it proposed. Obviously was not planning to work at Singapore/Brunei but I had to start somewhere -  want to feel the full experience of moving up from unknown to a world famous manager. So I got an offer from that club and got it. The problem is, how am I supposed to know in advance that this sort of requirement is in place? At least, since the game knows I can be offered applications from such teams with such strange requirements, shouldn't it take care of at least automatically include that specific part of the database I didn't select in advance, so to make my team playable? The only way to amend such a situation is really by including every player possible since I can't know where I might end at least at the beginning; that is 355K or so players.