Sports Interactive Community
Ed Hewison

[Italy] (Official) League Specific Issues

I think we can leave Serie B going with 19 clubs, but I think that definitely wont be the case next season. But in FM, 2019/2020 Serie B season starts with 19 clubs again.

3 hours ago, Firehouse said:

I think we can leave Serie B going with 19 clubs, but I think that definitely wont be the case next season. But in FM, 2019/2020 Serie B season starts with 19 clubs again.

This is why I am waiting to start my save. If Serie B remains at 19 clubs, which seems like the most likely outcome, then they will have to make up the deficit somehow to bring the league back to 22 next season, which seems like the most likely end result. The most obvious/easy way to do this would be to simply promote 3 more clubs from Serie C this season, and the most obvious/easy way to do that would be to have the 2nd placed clubs in each of Serie C/A, C/B, and C/C get automatic promotion as well, instead of just the champions.

This, or any other change, would of course require an update to FM and a brand new save, as far as I'm aware. Because of this, in the interest of realism, I'm kind of stuck in purgatory as I delay in hopes some conclusion will be reached in the next month so I can begin the correct way. According to this article, it looks like there is some sort of council meeting scheduled for November 15, though some are trying to move this up to November 8...

Just to add on to this Serie C matches mostly being shown as "neutral" stadiums and when you actually play the match it's called "unknown stadium".  The bit I'm adding is that when these "neutral site" games are played, it always looks like the same generic stadium.  It even has light poles that block part of the TV camera view of each end of the pitch.  Not a deal breaker, but certainly an annoyance.

Despite no official response on this it appears that when the leagues reset on 19.1 the fixtures go back to normal...

0d37bb18acba0f70df8ab99026185382.png

So hurrah for that.

As far as I have understood, there should always be 1 club promoted from each Serie D group (plus more clubs if there are vacancies to fill). It doesn't seem to work this way in the game.

After the first season:

a0hNfVt.png

No promotions from several Serie D groups:

Grp B - Como
Grp D - Modena
Grp D - Pavia
Grp D - Reggio Audace
Grp F - Cesena
Grp F - Forlì
Grp G - Avellino
Grp G - Latina
Grp I - Bari

Also, it appears that clubs relegated from Serie C are now placed into actual groups in Serie D. It however does not follow geographical distribution of cities - southern clubs can go into northern groups and vice versa.

ozMoVJZ.png

@Ed Hewison Hi Ed, Do you have any idea when the fixture lists being repeated and the Serie C/Serie D pro/rel bugs will be fixed? Still holding out on starting a save until everything is sorted and just wondering if you have any updates on the progress of these issues. Thanks!

21 hours ago, Weston said:

@Ed Hewison Hi Ed, Do you have any idea when the fixture lists being repeated and the Serie C/Serie D pro/rel bugs will be fixed? Still holding out on starting a save until everything is sorted and just wondering if you have any updates on the progress of these issues. Thanks!

The "neutral" venue issue should now be fixed as @Wavelberry mentioned.

We are currently looking into the Promotion & Relegation between Serie C and D that @duccio posted on Friday.

Could you clarify what you mean by fxture lists being repeated @Weston?

2 minutes ago, Ed Hewison said:

We are currently looking into the Promotion & Relegation between Serie C and D that @duccio posted on Friday.

Could you clarify what you mean by fxture lists being repeated @Weston?

Thank you for your reply, that is good news!

For the fixture lists repeating I mean the issue quoted below. I noticed this happening a lot in FM18 as well, where rival teams have the exact same match schedule as you just set one or more weeks behind or ahead instead of being randomized as they are in real life. This is problematic and ruins immersion as it really takes a lot of the natural charm out of the competition, especially when the club mimicking your fixture list is challenging you for the title!

On 27/10/2018 at 15:37, FMunderachiever said:

I am noticing in Serie A as Juventus, that my fixtures are the exact same fixture list as Lazio, my nearest rival, but i play them all one game earlier than they do.

I can post screenshots to prove this, is this a one off? its literally the EXACT same fixture list except i play my opponent a week earlier than they do

40 minutes ago, Weston said:

For the fixture lists repeating I mean the issue quoted below. I noticed this happening a lot in FM18 as well, where rival teams have the exact same match schedule as you just set one or more weeks behind or ahead instead of being randomized as they are in real life. This is problematic and ruins immersion as it really takes a lot of the natural charm out of the competition, especially when the club mimicking your fixture list is challenging you for the title!

Understood. I have asked for this to be looked at.

Serie A definitely does not follow this sort of "mirror image" fixture scheduling. 

This is now under review, cheers for raising it @FMunderachiever and @Weston.

5 minutes ago, Ed Hewison said:

Understood. I have asked for this to be looked at.

Serie A definitely does not follow this sort of "mirror image" fixture scheduling. 

This is now under review, cheers for raising it @FMunderachiever and @Weston.

Much appreciated! Happy to be of help.

I just finished my 5th season managing Parma in Italy. After a hectic season, with a mid season break due to the Qatar World Cup, my season ended with the final Serie A fixture on may 28th. 

I set my pre season to start 4 weeks prior to kick off of the 2023/24 season, which means my players were scheduled to return on July 22nd. 

However, my players arrived back and started pre season right after the June international break ( around June 15th). 

I'm not involved in any European competition that would require a long qualifying campaign. 

So there I was, with my players back before next seasons fixtures were even announced. It just seemed very odd to me.

Hey, almost all of the Serie B and Serie C teams are completely broke after 1-2 seasons. I know many teams in Italy are struggling in real life aswell but is it really this bad? Most of the teams are on a positive balance when you start the game. 

On 08/11/2018 at 10:00, Moniola said:

I just finished my 5th season managing Parma in Italy. After a hectic season, with a mid season break due to the Qatar World Cup, my season ended with the final Serie A fixture on may 28th. 

I set my pre season to start 4 weeks prior to kick off of the 2023/24 season, which means my players were scheduled to return on July 22nd. 

However, my players arrived back and started pre season right after the June international break ( around June 15th). 

I'm not involved in any European competition that would require a long qualifying campaign. 

So there I was, with my players back before next seasons fixtures were even announced. It just seemed very odd to me.

Hi @Moniola.

Thank you very much for posting this issue. Could you please provide a save game from before the players returned? 

Details of how to upload a save game are linked below.

On 10/11/2018 at 16:44, svettot said:

Hey, almost all of the Serie B and Serie C teams are completely broke after 1-2 seasons. I know many teams in Italy are struggling in real life as well but is it really this bad? Most of the teams are on a positive balance when you start the game. 

Hi @svettot.

That is very strange. Could you please provide a save game where this has occurred? 

The new update changelist doesn't mention Italy at all but I was wondering if any of these issues have been addressed and just not listed? @Ed Hewison

@Ed Hewison

Hey, I have uploaded my save with the name "italy serie b & c poor finances". Out of the 78 teams in total in B+C, 41 of them are insecure and 1 is in debt. Many of the teams with okay finances are in the negatives aswell but not too big enough yet to be tagged at insecure. I took over a few teams with the bigger debts and the pattern is the same for all of them. Wage budgets are way too high to cover for the income and the boards are constantly putting in money, but can't catch up. Don't know if the sponsorship money is too low compared to real life or if it's the salaries that's too high in game. 

Serie A

I am in charge of Milan, and my team has same point with Inter and have better goal difference than them, but Inter is on 2nd and mine in 3rd.

Would this be an error or any rules specific apply in this league ?

League Table.png

47 minutes ago, largestar_nhl said:

Serie A

I am in charge of Milan, and my team has same point with Inter and have better goal difference than them, but Inter is on 2nd and mine in 3rd.

Would this be an error or any rules specific apply in this league ?

League Table.png

Results between teams comes before goal difference and goals scored. So they've probably won the head-to-head matches.

18 ore fa, svettot ha scritto:

@Ed Hewison

Hey, I have uploaded my save with the name "italy serie b & c poor finances". Out of the 78 teams in total in B+C, 41 of them are insecure and 1 is in debt. Many of the teams with okay finances are in the negatives aswell but not too big enough yet to be tagged at insecure. I took over a few teams with the bigger debts and the pattern is the same for all of them. Wage budgets are way too high to cover for the income and the boards are constantly putting in money, but can't catch up. Don't know if the sponsorship money is too low compared to real life or if it's the salaries that's too high in game. 

TBF, it's not far from the actual reality of Serie C...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Serie_C

4 clubs were dissolved during/at the end of last season (plus some more that folded at the end of 2016-17)
6 were excluded due to insolvency, while 3 more appealed
9 clubs got point deduction during the season due to financial irregularities (ie. didn't pay wages)

It's like 1/3 of the whole league having financial issues, something that has been happening year after year for decades... Actually this season 11 clubs have been punished already with point deductions, and it's just mid-november.

There's simply too little money to be made in Serie C for most small(ish) clubs to survive, especially if they overspend in order to be competitive or are just run by shady businessmen or by clueless morons.

With attendances usually on par with what you get in Vanarama National (with few exceptions like former Serie A sides like Catania, Lecce etc), pathetic TV money and low prize money, it's no wonder the league is basically unsustainable for most, while wages demands are still too high for whatever reason.

5 hours ago, RBKalle said:

TBF, it's not far from the actual reality of Serie C...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Serie_C

4 clubs were dissolved during/at the end of last season (plus some more that folded at the end of 2016-17)
6 were excluded due to insolvency, while 3 more appealed
9 clubs got point deduction during the season due to financial irregularities (ie. didn't pay wages)

It's like 1/3 of the whole league having financial issues, something that has been happening year after year for decades... Actually this season 11 clubs have been punished already with point deductions, and it's just mid-november.

There's simply too little money to be made in Serie C for most small(ish) clubs to survive, especially if they overspend in order to be competitive or are just run by shady businessmen or by clueless morons.

With attendances usually on par with what you get in Vanarama National (with few exceptions like former Serie A sides like Catania, Lecce etc), pathetic TV money and low prize money, it's no wonder the league is basically unsustainable for most, while wages demands are still too high for whatever reason.

I knew that it was a mess in real life aswell, which is why I wasn't sure it's even a bug. But after reading this it's probably even worse then I thought, so it could actually be quite realistic in the game. But seriously what is the owners and boards doing? So many former Serie A teams with a history over 100 years just folding and rebranded.  I would be furious if I were a fan of one of these teams. 

But what I find strange in the game is that every single Serie C team start off the game with a positive balance, all between 500k to 2M euros and after just one season most of the teams turned this into at least 1M euros in the negatives. 

Hello!

In the group of "Serie C Italian Cup" I played two times away versus the same team, and not one time home, the other one away.

Screenshot 2018-11-17 19.17.29.png

On 13/11/2018 at 16:15, Weston said:

The new update changelist doesn't mention Italy at all but I was wondering if any of these issues have been addressed and just not listed? @Ed Hewison

Hi @Ed Hewison, just following up on the above. Can you provide any update on the Italian league issues? Were any fixed in this new update but just not listed in the changelist?

On 13/11/2018 at 21:15, Weston said:

Unfortunately not. They are still under review at the moment.

On 13/11/2018 at 22:06, svettot said:

@Ed Hewison

Thanks @svettot. We are looking into this one at the moment.

On 17/11/2018 at 23:55, abled said:

Hello!

In the group of "Serie C Italian Cup" I played two times away versus the same team, and not one time home, the other one away.

Screenshot 2018-11-17 19.17.29.png

Hi @abled

Could you upload a save game where this has occurred please?
Details on how to upload a save game are linked below

1 hour ago, Ed Hewison said:

Unfortunately not. They are still under review at the moment.

Thanks for your reply!

7 ore fa, Ed Hewison ha scritto:

Hi @abled

Could you upload a save game where this has occurred please?
Details on how to upload a save game are linked below

Thanks for the reply. I just uploaded it. It is called "fano.fm". Could you check if is it all ok? I've never used SI Cloud Service before. Thank you!

On 02/11/2018 at 06:02, duccio said:

As far as I have understood, there should always be 1 club promoted from each Serie D group (plus more clubs if there are vacancies to fill). It doesn't seem to work this way in the game.

After the first season:

a0hNfVt.png

No promotions from several Serie D groups:

Grp B - Como
Grp D - Modena
Grp D - Pavia
Grp D - Reggio Audace
Grp F - Cesena
Grp F - Forlì
Grp G - Avellino
Grp G - Latina
Grp I - Bari

Also, it appears that clubs relegated from Serie C are now placed into actual groups in Serie D. It however does not follow geographical distribution of cities - southern clubs can go into northern groups and vice versa.

ozMoVJZ.png

While we're waiting for SI to fix this, I recommend downloading the editor file made by the amazing @claassen that adds Serie D as a playable league. He has the promotion and relegation rules set correctly, which effectively fixes the bug, even if you're not intending to actually play in Serie D. I've holidayed ahead to test it out myself and it accurately promotes one club from each group and accurately sorts them to the correct Serie C groups.

- My main squad won the champions league and they went on a end of season break starting 9th June 2020 until 20th July 2020.

- My U18 Team Won the U18 league final.

- They were to play the U18 Super cup on 20th June 2020. This match was scheduled after my season break started.

- Because my U18 team had to play that U18 super cup final and it counted as an official game, my whole squad had to return from holiday.

- If that is the case then only the U18's should be returning from holiday or never going on holiday.

- This has an adverse effect on team tiredness.

The final fixtures of the Serie A have been traditionally played at the same time. Since FM18 this has been lost, even if the title, a European ticket or relegation is in play. This would not be the case in real life. If Team A and Team B are challenging for a spot, they will be playing at the same time for sure, even if there are several different kick off times. 

10 minutes ago, Yuko said:

The final fixtures of the Serie A have been traditionally played at the same time. Since FM18 this has been lost, even if the title, a European ticket or relegation is in play. This would not be the case in real life. If Team A and Team B are challenging for a spot, they will be playing at the same time for sure, even if there are several different kick off times. 

Oh man, FM19 is doing that again? I reported this very early on after FM18's release and assumed it had been fixed by now. There were 2-3 seasons where I knew I won the title by a point or so before even playing my match because the other club lost or drew earlier in the morning. Very disappointing and unrealistic.

Is there a way we can use the editor to fix this ourselves?

Edited by Weston

On 03/12/2018 at 20:26, ulrich_hart said:

- My main squad won the champions league and they went on a end of season break starting 9th June 2020 until 20th July 2020.

- My U18 Team Won the U18 league final.

- They were to play the U18 Super cup on 20th June 2020. This match was scheduled after my season break started.

- Because my U18 team had to play that U18 super cup final and it counted as an official game, my whole squad had to return from holiday.

- If that is the case then only the U18's should be returning from holiday or never going on holiday.

- This has an adverse effect on team tiredness.

Hi @ulrich_hart.

Thank you very much for posting this issue. Could you please provide a save game from before the whole team return from holiday? 

On 03/12/2018 at 12:29, kingpoodle said:

Serie C/A rules state that Minimum Stadium Capacity is 4000.

I played the whole season with Albissola on a stadium with 250 capacity.

And according to wikipedia, 

Ground Stadio Comunale,
Chiavari, Italy
Capacity

In the game, it is Faraggiana

Thanks for reporting this one @kingpoodle.

This is under review now.

On 03/12/2018 at 23:31, Yuko said:

From the Serie A website it shows that for the 17/18 season matchround 38's games were all played at various different times (and even different days). Here is a link - http://www.legaseriea.it/en/serie-a/archive/2017-18/UNICO/UNI/38 
I get what you mean though, because it looks like SPAL and Crotone's relegation battle mean that they had their games played out simultaneously (they were both on 25 points).

If you have an example of it not working with a title or relegation in play, could you please attach a save game from before the match?

20 hours ago, Ed Hewison said:

From the Serie A website it shows that for the 17/18 season matchround 38's games were all played at various different times (and even different days). Here is a link - http://www.legaseriea.it/en/serie-a/archive/2017-18/UNICO/UNI/38 

This is because the title was already decided prior so there was no need. 2001-02 is a famous example of the title being decided on the final day of Serie A as Juve topped Inter with all matches played simultaneously. This hasn't happened in very recent memory (because Juve has been so dominant we keep winning before the final matchday ;)) but here is a link of some highlights.

In fact, I think Serie A may play any matches simultaneously at any time there is a possibility of one of the involved clubs winning the title, not just on the final matchday. This makes sense as it would greatly diminish the excitement for one team to win the title because another club lost earlier in the weekend regardless of which matchday this is. I could be wrong about this (how does one check official Serie A rules?) but I remember Juve winning for the first time back in 2011-12 and I had our match and the Milan v Inter match on simultaneously because we were head to head with Milan and needed their result to go our way as well (see below). So perhaps the confusion is that the rule isn't about the final matchday at all, it just sometimes happens to be that game. If we had both drawn on that day, I believe our fixtures would've kicked off simultaneously the following matchday as well, until the champion was finally determined.

image.thumb.png.e375aabdbb7cda7a18ae9e067b4ae46c.png

20 hours ago, Ed Hewison said:

If you have an example of it not working with a title or relegation in play, could you please attach a save game from before the match?

I posted proof of this happening in FM18 last year but it seems that has all since been deleted? I am playing in (and way ahead in) Serie D at the moment so there is some time before I will experience this issue myself.

Edited by Weston

Quick question as I may be missing something, but is this right? So I'm near end of December in first season and received the below message saying Milenkovic is now classed as home grown as he's been here for over 3 years.

mil1.png

Then I look at his history and he's only been here now for about 18 months, certainly not over 3 years
mil2.png

Looking at his info page as well, he's only been in Italy for about 18 months.
mil3.png

Basically, I don't know why he's classed as home grown.

Hi playing in Serie A having won the champions league in the previous season I am in all club competitions i could be in, and now i have really bad and illogical fixture congestion in December.

20181209110750_1.jpg

59 minutes ago, Earth2Morty said:

Hi playing in Serie A having won the champions league in the previous season I am in all club competitions i could be in, and now i have really bad and illogical fixture congestion in December.

20181209110750_1.jpg

Oh wow that is horrifying. I can't believe this is still happening - why is it ever able to schedule fixtures one day apart?

On 06/12/2018 at 14:42, Weston said:

This is because the title was already decided prior so there was no need. 2001-02 is a famous example of the title being decided on the final day of Serie A as Juve topped Inter with all matches played simultaneously. This hasn't happened in very recent memory (because Juve has been so dominant we keep winning before the final matchday ;)) but here is a link of some highlights.

In fact, I think Serie A may play any matches simultaneously at any time there is a possibility of one of the involved clubs winning the title, not just on the final matchday. This makes sense as it would greatly diminish the excitement for one team to win the title because another club lost earlier in the weekend regardless of which matchday this is. I could be wrong about this (how does one check official Serie A rules?) but I remember Juve winning for the first time back in 2011-12 and I had our match and the Milan v Inter match on simultaneously because we were head to head with Milan and needed their result to go our way as well (see below). So perhaps the confusion is that the rule isn't about the final matchday at all, it just sometimes happens to be that game. If we had both drawn on that day, I believe our fixtures would've kicked off simultaneously the following matchday as well, until the champion was finally determined.

image.thumb.png.e375aabdbb7cda7a18ae9e067b4ae46c.png

I posted proof of this happening in FM18 last year but it seems that has all since been deleted? I am playing in (and way ahead in) Serie D at the moment so there is some time before I will experience this issue myself.

This has been raised again. Hopefully this is something we will be able to get to happen in future.

Cheers for all your help with this one.

On 08/12/2018 at 23:50, Mikal said:

Quick question as I may be missing something, but is this right? So I'm near end of December in first season and received the below message saying Milenkovic is now classed as home grown as he's been here for over 3 years.

mil1.png

Then I look at his history and he's only been here now for about 18 months, certainly not over 3 years
mil2.png

Looking at his info page as well, he's only been in Italy for about 18 months.
mil3.png

Basically, I don't know why he's classed as home grown.

Hi @Mikal.

Thank you very much for posting this issue. Could you please provide a save game from just before he becomes homegrown? 

19 hours ago, Earth2Morty said:

20181209110750_1.jpg

Hi @Earth2Morty.

Thanks for posting this issue. That is really odd.

Could you please provide a save game from before your team's Club World Championship matches were scheduled? 

Is this a bug or is there an explanation for why my schedule is set up this way? Cup game in July, then no fixtures in August, and then when the league does begin in mid September I immediately have to deal with midweek fixtures for some reason. Shouldn't the league just start sooner..?

There are literally three weeks between the transfer window closing and the league beginning.

image.thumb.png.89ba410fbaf24bd38390703f8784d38d.png

Edited by Weston

About the Serie C stadium capacity requirement of 4000. I don't know if it is a bug as such, but the harshness of the rule or the inability to comply with it in a realistic or reasonable manner is curious. Pavia have a stadium with a capacity of 3999. In case they are promoted to Serie C, they will either go to play in another stadium or build a completely new stadium. This instead of finding a way to add room for 1 more spectator in the existing stadium.

On 12/12/2018 at 20:50, Weston said:

Is this a bug or is there an explanation for why my schedule is set up this way? Cup game in July, then no fixtures in August, and then when the league does begin in mid September I immediately have to deal with midweek fixtures for some reason. Shouldn't the league just start sooner..?

There are literally three weeks between the transfer window closing and the league beginning.

image.thumb.png.89ba410fbaf24bd38390703f8784d38d.png

The Coppa Italia 1st Qualifying Round seems to match the real life date of that competition - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Coppa_Italia#First_round
If you win your match you will then have the second and third qualifying matches to play before the start of the season.

The games do seem quite bunched up but are a similar situation to Cuneo's fixtures this season - https://www.flashscore.com/team/cuneo/86wjbKmI/results/
Although they only had 8 league fixtures before the end of October whereas you have 10.

On 13/12/2018 at 10:17, duccio said:

About the Serie C stadium capacity requirement of 4000. I don't know if it is a bug as such, but the harshness of the rule or the inability to comply with it in a realistic or reasonable manner is curious. Pavia have a stadium with a capacity of 3999. In case they are promoted to Serie C, they will either go to play in another stadium or build a completely new stadium. This instead of finding a way to add room for 1 more spectator in the existing stadium.

I haven't seen them have to share a stadium in any of the games I currently have. They have played all of their home games at Pietro Fortunati in Serie C.

Do you have a save game where they are not playing at Pietro Fortunati, or are having to build a new stadium because they are 1 capacity under?

4 hours ago, Ed Hewison said:

The Coppa Italia 1st Qualifying Round seems to match the real life date of that competition - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Coppa_Italia#First_round
If you win your match you will then have the second and third qualifying matches to play before the start of the season.

The games do seem quite bunched up but are a similar situation to Cuneo's fixtures this season - https://www.flashscore.com/team/cuneo/86wjbKmI/results/
Although they only had 8 league fixtures before the end of October whereas you have 10.

The reason why is because in real life Serie C was postponed so some clubs played earlier fixtures later in the season, but this is not standard and to my knowledge FM doesn't replicate one-time quirks like this, no? Either way it would just have been 2018-19, not 2019-20. As you can see Catania starts with match 4 but has made up matches 1-2 after 8 and 10, respectively, they weren't just scheduled to start at the end of September to begin with.

image.thumb.png.be1d4b1b7fa7c7616af1e78b980e5dbf.png

44 minutes ago, Weston said:

The reason why is because in real life Serie C was postponed so some clubs played earlier fixtures later in the season, but this is not standard and to my knowledge FM doesn't replicate one-time quirks like this, no? Either way it would just have been 2018-19, not 2019-20. As you can see Catania starts with match 4 but has made up matches 1-2 after 8 and 10, respectively, they weren't just scheduled to start at the end of September to begin with.

You are very much correct. It doesn't seem to be working quite right. 

Could you upload that save game (any point in that 2019-20 season) and I will put that under review. 

Cheers @Weston.