Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Woodg SI

[English-UK] Issues in English-UK Translations

Please post all issues relating to the English-UK translation of FM 2019 in this topic.

Please try to provide a screenshot by attaching it to your post (or if a saved game is needed please follow instructions here

Please refer to the sticky topic for Translation reporting Guidelines. This can be found here - ***-READ-BEFORE-POSTING-***-Posting-in-the-Translation-Forum

Minor grammar one here

Where only a single player is listed in a media item, it should use singular "X was the only Z player..." and not plural "X were the only Z players..." 

177373606_ScreenShot2018-10-23at15_03_07.thumb.png.d5e603b410204b6394b524db776feeae.png

Not sure whether this applies to other media items listing players or just the specific one I spotted above, which is a media item for international managers related to club appearances

Translation error in the dynamics update.

"Marokkaan" should be "Moroccan". 

1213007158_MoroccanplayersSocialGroupsEN.thumb.png.cf153668d3826ef191572ed9d01b7786.png

The same is found in Social Groups under the Dynamics tab.

276634605_MoroccanplayersSocialGroups-DynamicsEN.thumb.png.1d4879cae38c4ff5a201f5e7d4eb74c1.png

@BariboDid you switch from Dutch to English?

The English is Ok so it looks to me likes it's a refresh issue where the items from the database (i.e. nationalities) are not refreshing correctly sometimes when you change language

3 hours ago, Woodg SI said:

@BariboDid you switch from Dutch to English?

The English is Ok so it looks to me likes it's a refresh issue where the items from the database (i.e. nationalities) are not refreshing correctly sometimes when you change language

It happened when I changed from Dutch to English. I loaded my save again and it was gone. So you're right.

211333971_ScreenShot2018-10-25at23_30_31.thumb.png.630e6a200a4cda1d6acbefb01ec3744c.png

"person#referee performance has hit the headlines" in press conference media item. (FWIW the match was correctly assigned a referee, called Pavel Kravolec )

This should be:  have looked like staying up all season!

2105514719_Screenshot2018-10-30at17_38_34.thumb.png.364a4af6f177a8901bf82abbc1f92d5b.png

Edited by Geordieboy52

May not be the best place to ask this, but is the LTF for community translations up to date for FM19? That is, can I start editing the file that comes with the beta download, or should I wait for the full release? Or are there plans to update the LTF at all?

(I want to "translate" the game's English-UK into something with fewer errors and consistent editorial style.)

Wait till the game comes out.

We'd like to hear about any errors you find and any further explanation about our inconsistent editorial style.

All right, thanks!

It's less about glaring typos and more about grammatical, syntactical, and style errors many people wouldn't notice: comma splices and run-on sentences; confusions and inconsistencies around title and sentence case in UI elements; 'Ok' (not an accepted word, rhymes with 'lock' or 'sock' when I read it) instead of 'OK' (initialism) or 'Okay' (accepted word). The game's hyphenation is also messy and internally inconsistent: for example, most style guides would favor 'transfer-listed' over 'transfer listed', and the game can't make its mind up about 'fullback', 'full back', or 'full-back' (this is what I would favor, following the OED).

There are probably hundreds if not thousands of minor corrections or changes I want to make, which is too many to post here. My real-life work is writing and editing, so it's fun to me to go through this stuff, weird as that sounds.

Edited by Double Indemnity

ok ( :) ) - thanks for the extra information. The less errors there are in the game the better so let us know of anything more than minor that you find.

if you start editing the 2 million+ words in FM now and are able to edit 1000 words per hour you'll be done by this time next year (assuming 8 hours a day and 5 days a week) :)

(...I know -  it's "fewer")

Well, I'm guessing there are significant changes to the text every year, plus new additions for new features, etc.

So does a translator have to start from scratch on the two million words each year, or does the LTF flag which parts are new or changed each year, so people only have to work on what's changed?

OK - understood. We probably add some 10-15% new text each year - the rest is re-used from previous games. 

I have to disagree with you here. The second meaning mentioned in your link has been a valid meaning for a long time now.

On 10/11/2018 at 17:57, Woodg SI said:

I have to disagree with you here. The second meaning mentioned in your link has been a valid meaning for a long time now.

Ok, fair enough, I thought you might say that. I'll have to get over myself and accept that language evolves.

Not exactly a "translation" issue, but in the following screenshot, the information is the wrong way around:

image.thumb.png.6df86ddf0c9dd60cbf39e9e4904f692d.png

Peter Vagenas is the DoF of LA Galaxy, I'm managing the Galaxy, we just traded Sheanon Williams to RSL for the mentioned picks, but if you read what it says, it sounds like "we" are RSL, not Galaxy.

Do you need a save game for this as well, or can you trace the strings in the language db without the save game?

Ok, uploaded (unsure if the save was before or after I switched jobs, but nonetheless). I found that it happened again after another trade, the news item I got were worded as if it was regarding the other club involved in the trade.

Uploaded as: Gilles Durand - unemployed.fm

OK, I feel a little less bad given that other people here are raising grammar-type points.  When you deny interest linking you with a vacant position and the board is happy with you, it says "The XX board are delighted that manager XX has reaffirmed his commitment to the club by refuting his interest in the managerial position at [club]".  What bugs me is the phrase 'refuting his interest'.

Here's a random dictionary page for 'refute':  https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/refute

I don't really like 'refute' here anyway, since the main definition is essentially 'to disprove' -- to prove a statement false by argumentation -- which makes it kind of weird in this context.  Now, as the third definition in the entry I linked to shows, it can mean simply 'to deny'.  However, when it does, it means to deny a statement or an opinion.  So you can refute the claim that you're interested in X, but I don't think you can refute your interest in X.

I think it would be better (and clearer) to just say "...by denying any interest in the managerial position at [club]".

refuting interest.png

I do not refute your statement.

We'll take a look at the use of this word and amend where necessary.

Thanks for the report.

I don't know if this belongs in this thread or if I should go to the Europe Data Issues thread, but Baku (the capital of Azerbaijan) has a typo. In-game it's called Baki. Other translations may also have this typo, haven't checked.

On 16/02/2019 at 00:00, Zek said:

I don't know if this belongs in this thread or if I should go to the Europe Data Issues thread, but Baku (the capital of Azerbaijan) has a typo. In-game it's called Baki. Other translations may also have this typo, haven't checked.

Checking Wikipedia for this it does state:

"Nowadays, when Azerbaijan is using the Latin alphabet, it is spelled as 'Bakı'."

So it must come from that (although it uses the incorrect "i" character).

The argument that the English language version which we tend to use should be "Baku" so will change it back to that.

Found what I think is a typo in the Player Development Advice screen.

2033699611_SquadHierarchyTypo.thumb.png.3750c86e9c443acf7dd1e1aeeec99a97.png

It says that this older player has dropped to a lower level in the squad hierarchy because of a reduction in ability "relevant to the squad".  I *guess* this could make sense (like there are some abilities that are relevant and some abilities that are irrelevant).  But this should surely be 'relative' to the squad, right, rather than 'relevant'?

On 02/04/2019 at 10:59, Rayista Geoff said:

Found what I think is a typo in the Player Development Advice screen.

2033699611_SquadHierarchyTypo.thumb.png.3750c86e9c443acf7dd1e1aeeec99a97.png

It says that this older player has dropped to a lower level in the squad hierarchy because of a reduction in ability "relevant to the squad".  I *guess* this could make sense (like there are some abilities that are relevant and some abilities that are irrelevant).  But this should surely be 'relative' to the squad, right, rather than 'relevant'?

Thanks for the report - fixed for a future version