Training in FM19

I haven’t seen a lot of it in the live streams but boy this looks complicated now. Ever since I started playing FM the game had the same Training system. It would be stupid to ask how the new system works because I don’t think most of you got a lot of info at disposal but I heard the new training shares more similarities to those older FM editions?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll have the option to get stuck into complicated training regimes; if we're not into it we can leave it to the assman who's supposed to do a competent job.

I'd have thought he sensible approach will be to start off on default and tweak one or two things at a time until getting comfortable with it.

Really, that like how newbies should approach tactics - start with a default formation, default settings, safe roles and duties, and tweak you're way in as you gain experience. Since IRL football training is as important as tactics, I have no problem them being on a time-consuming par in FM19.

On 15/10/2018 at 15:44, phnompenhandy said:

We'll have the option to get stuck into complicated training regimes; if we're not into it we can leave it to the assman who's supposed to do a competent job.

I'd have thought he sensible approach will be to start off on default and tweak one or two things at a time until getting comfortable with it.

Really, that like how newbies should approach tactics - start with a default formation, default settings, safe roles and duties, and tweak you're way in as you gain experience. Since IRL football training is as important as tactics, I have no problem them being on a time-consuming par in FM19.

Yeah that’s a good idea but will the game let the user know — by descriptions I would say — what each training group tries to improve in terms of attributes?

Ahh, a FM2019 thread in the Tactics forum.... Interesting. :)

I'm looking forward to the change, mostly to see what the LL semi-pro set up is like.  Haven't seen anything on it in any of the presentations, so it looks like it will be a hidden gem for me once I get hold of the game.

They do seem to be pushing the "let the AM take charge if you don't want to do it"  line in a number of different areas including Training. The day I trust what my AM says in a FM game is the same day I sit in the corner with my underpants on my head, a pencil up each nostril saying repetitively "Wibble Wobble"

23 minutes ago, Taipan said:

The day I trust what my AM says in a FM game is the same day I sit in the corner with my underpants on my head, a pencil up each nostril saying repetitively "Wibble Wobble"

Thank you Capt. Blackadder, I hope your underpants are clean...

It's very in depth, which is great. As has been said above, training is surely as important as tactics so having a lot of control over it makes sense.

I could easily leave to my ass man but will spend a good amount of time developing an understanding of what each session does. It will certainly feel rewarding seeing the team do well off the back of a sensible training regime but if things go wrong on the pitch, we'll have to perhaps delve into training and try to find out if we're making some poor decisions there. Potentially time consuming and involving quite a bit of trial and error, but for a realistic management sim that has to be the way!

For forum users i will be releasing a training guide which is being worked on by several people, so there will be one consolidated training guide so that people don't get confused. To answer some of the questions here:

The training module has been upgraded to make it more realistic following feedback from international managers and other coaches. Don't forget as well, there are licensed coaches working at SI as well. So between them and Miles memory :-) the training module was revamped to make it more organic and realistic.

On the face of it it looks complicating, as I am sure some of you may feel when you see some of the livestreams. Here though I want to explain how the user interface may help. When you join a club you will have the option to take over training or let the assman do it for you. Now unlike previous editions, the assman actually comes to you at the start of the week to tell you what the schedule is going to look like and you can edit it and move sessions around if you feel the need to.

Training is obviously broken up into various categories and it looks like it will deal with several factors: tactical familiarity, attribute development, specific training. Broadly speaking you have more control, actually more control than the old CM03/04 training. I remember 03/04 really well, and this is a big departure from that.

Now you can also create custom training schedules which you can base around specific needs, and you can also export them to friends and the the community in general. Will it be time consuming, it doesn't have to be. Even if you are a min maxer like me who wants to eek out every single attribute gain as efficiently as possible, you can create a workflow pretty easily from what i gather. If you are a first timer to the game there will be training presets you can use with training presets or you can opt to use those training presets for your own custom routines. 

Your assman may not be the dork of the past anymore, and he could actually have something useful to offer in FM19, plus you have a whole bunch of guys in the forum who want to help and make the road easier for you. In most cases like @phnompenhandy suggests starting on default may not be a bad idea. And i don't think you need to worry about soiled underpants unlike @Taipan. He's an old hat. :-)

8 hours ago, Taipan said:

They do seem to be pushing the "let the AM take charge if you don't want to do it"  line in a number of different areas including Training. The day I trust what my AM says in a FM game is the same day I sit in the corner with my underpants on my head, a pencil up each nostril saying repetitively "Wibble Wobble"

Saturday then?

For forum users i will be releasing a training guide which is being worked on by several people, so there will be one consolidated training guide so that people don't get confused

Most excellent. Thank you Rashidi.

Training is obviously broken up into various categories and it looks like it will deal with several factors: tactical familiarity, attribute development, specific training. Broadly speaking you have more control, actually more control than the old CM03/04 training. I remember 03/04 really well, and this is a big departure from that.

Yeah CM03/04 time travelling was my first thought.  SI seem to have gone retro in a few areas. Slides are back in the tactics area (Silders!!), and the three different formations for your tactics immediately brought back the old memories of the CM wibble wobble setup.

Saturday then?

Hehe, lets see. I'm also a min maxer like Rash,  so the chances of my AM actually managing anything in my game is pretty slim.  The AM's job in my game is to look pretty,  help out on the training field and drive the team bus to the games. 

1 hour ago, Taipan said:

Hehe, lets see. I'm also a min maxer like Rash,  so the chances of my AM actually managing anything in my game is pretty slim.  The AM's job in my game is to look pretty,  help out on the training field and drive the team bus to the games. 

You just described my wife ........    :ackter:

A few stupid questions on mentoring: 1) players still have to be 24 or older (or club captain) to be a mentor in their group? 2) players have to be 23 or younger to be a tutee in their group? 3) does a group of 4 mentors and only one tutee make sense (e.g. to pass different PPM's of different mentors) or is a waste of time/resources? 5) Does a lone mentor in a group with other four youngsters pass his personality/determination/PPM's to all four youngsters in his group? Thanks!

• SI Staff
16 minutes ago, kandersson said:

A few stupid questions on mentoring: 1) players still have to be 24 or older (or club captain) to be a mentor in their group? 2) players have to be 23 or younger to be a tutee in their group? 3) does a group of 4 mentors and only one tutee make sense (e.g. to pass different PPM's of different mentors) or is a waste of time/resources? 5) Does a lone mentor in a group with other four youngsters pass his personality/determination/PPM's to all four youngsters in his group? Thanks!

1. No - there are no hard rules anymore, rather how likely you are to see results. An older player is more likely to successfully mentor another player, but even an influential youngster could have an impact.

2. See above.

3. You can build the groups however you wish provided it contains at least 3 players.

4. This depends on if they match up well. See partially 1.

6 hours ago, Urotsukidoji said:

If I create a training set when I don't have a game midweek (no need to rest) do I have to change it everytime I have a match midweek?

Yes. You need to essentially create one for a one match day week and another for a two. What I do is do the entire season. Then I make tweaks when necessary

9 hours ago, eduepronto said:

i didn't understand how to do mentoring. I created the group from 1st squad. How  I pick the player that I want to do the mentoring and pick the player to be a tutee?

Players must be in the same squad to be in a Mentoring group.

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Yes. You need to essentially create one for a one match day week and another for a two. What I do is do the entire season. Then I make tweaks when necessary

Rashidi's got this one.

Just to add, if you create one with a match but the match day doesn't quite scan with the actual fixture day this should be moved automatically for you when applied to the calendar.

11 hours ago, eduepronto said:

i didn't understand how to do mentoring. I created the group from 1st squad. How  I pick the player that I want to do the mentoring and pick the player to be a tutee?

You can’t directly assign a tutor/tutee relationship in FM19. It now happens in groups. The success of which depends on various factors like hierarchy etc. For example say you choos a big group of light hearted comedians and you put a professional player in there. You could end up with a group of jokers;-)

24 minutos atrás, Rashidi disse:

You can’t directly assign a tutor/tutee relationship in FM19. It now happens in groups. The success of which depends on various factors like hierarchy etc. For example say you choos a big group of light hearted comedians and you put a professional player in there. You could end up with a group of jokers;-)

thanks

36 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

• SI Staff
21 minutes ago, Os said:

Can anyone tell me why the "Injury rehab" tab is greyed out and therefore unselectable in all my player's individual training screens?

Because they aren't rehabilitating from injury. This becomes available when a player is in the rehab phase of injury (orange).

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, corn_onthecurb said:

Are they just preset defaults? Do they cover all the area's on rotation? Do we just use them as a base to work off? 

Sorry for all the questions! @Seb Wassell

The default is General Rehab, which covers all the physical attributes (hover over the item in the drop-down to see the attributes it affects).

There are then some more specific areas, which cover individual or pairs of attributes.

Use these when a player is recovering from injury, especially if their physical attributes have decreased over the course of a bad injury. No guarantee that this will regain those attributes but it helps, as in reality.

2 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

The default is General Rehab, which covers all the physical attributes (hover over the item in the drop-down to see the attributes it affects).

There are then some more specific areas, which cover individual or pairs of attributes.

Use these when a player is recovering from injury, especially if their physical attributes have decreased over the course of a bad injury. No guarantee that this will regain those attributes but it helps, as in reality.

Thanks! So how are is the weekly schedule determined? I haven't done anything yet and can already see there's sessions planned for the next few weeks.

image.thumb.png.26b47e203a51cb88d39ff53f34bfc506.png

• SI Staff
3 minutes ago, corn_onthecurb said:

Thanks! So how are is the weekly schedule determined? I haven't done anything yet and can already see there's sessions planned for the next few weeks.

image.thumb.png.26b47e203a51cb88d39ff53f34bfc506.png

Injury Rehab is an individual thing, the above is team training.

Give this a read -

Just now, Seb Wassell said:

Injury Rehab is an individual thing, the above is team training.

My question was about the team training. I accidentally quoted the person talking about injury rehab. 

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how much work is needed by me on training. From what I can see it looks like there's sessions already planned for months and they rotate the different focuses? 

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, corn_onthecurb said:

My question was about the team training. I accidentally quoted the person talking about injury rehab. 

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how much work is needed by me on training. From what I can see it looks like there's sessions already planned for months and they rotate the different focuses? 

Ah, sorry missed that.

Give the attached post a read. The AM sets up training ahead of time, but you are fully able to take this over :thup:

• SI Staff
3 minutes ago, corn_onthecurb said:

Actually, one last question around position/role/duty. Is this primarily for learning new positions or should it be used for all players even if they are natural in that position/role? 

Both.

It is the way to set new position training, it is also the way to focus that players individual training work on a certain role (i.e. certain set of attributes). Their training role will add extra workload but will go hand-in-hand with their scheduled team training to inform any development.

7 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Both.

It is the way to set new position training, it is also the way to focus that players individual training work on a certain role (i.e. certain set of attributes). Their training role will add extra workload but will go hand-in-hand with their scheduled team training to inform any development.

Thanks! I thought so, but it's always good to have confirmation

Some duties appear greyed out and I can't select them. Is this a UI bug? or is there a reason for this?

image.thumb.png.b9b001e783880c7a4a3929287f484b6d.png

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, corn_onthecurb said:

Thanks! I thought so, but it's always good to have confirmation

Some duties appear greyed out and I can't select them. Is this a UI bug? or is there a reason for this?

image.thumb.png.b9b001e783880c7a4a3929287f484b6d.png

This is a current UI issue. We're aware of it and investigating. This is UI only, the requested training still goes ahead.

I've been looking at the training screens only in small doses so far. I like the idea of going into much greater detail with it. I think I'm struggling mainly because of the presentation/UI of training. There's so much going on and the sharp contrast in colors makes it confusing to look at. I know it will take getting used to, but for right now I find myself avoiding everything but the individual training which is straightforward enough.

3 hours ago, puffascruffowitz said:

I've been looking at the training screens only in small doses so far. I like the idea of going into much greater detail with it. I think I'm struggling mainly because of the presentation/UI of training. There's so much going on and the sharp contrast in colors makes it confusing to look at. I know it will take getting used to, but for right now I find myself avoiding everything but the individual training which is straightforward enough.

A good way to start is just to ask the assman to handle your training if you find it too overwhelming. Personally I use the calendar view to set up my training very quickly. As long as we understand what the colours mean its very easy. The blue colour refers to general training like : Outfield. It took me some time to get used to it too.

I've been doing it like that as well. At first I didn't dare touch it because I thought I break it. Pretty silly it's a game what can happen? :)

I let the assistant set up training but now I look ahead and tweak it a bit depending on next opponent or familiarity. 

For example, I needed to increase making familiarity, so I looked through the trainings and found some that increase it and replaced something the assistant put. I also started using some set piece preparations before a game where I think it might come down to that as you get a boost for the next game. 

While training looks daunting I think it's actually less forgiving on FM19 because there isn't a 'standard' set way of training. It can be customised and approached in many different ways. There isn't really a right or wrong way to go any longer. If something makes sense to you then just go with it.

Starting off with the assistant taking control though is a good way of seeing how it works and the type of sessions he uses. I've been advising people take this approach if they think its information overload to begin with. You can still make alterations to what he suggests too without him reverting the changes. Which is great because it still feels like you have full control if you do want to change something. 

If you are giving control of training to the assistant manager, then it’s worth while hiring an assistant manager who reflects your beliefs and style. That way, he will be more likely to select schedules that suit your overall philosophy, compared to an assistant manager who has a contrasting style to your own.

Into the middle of September now and i have had 10 players unhappy with training since virtually the start of pre season. 

Each one says he "Thinks he should be doing more quickness training"

I've had 2 quickness sessions in the last 2 weeks but i don't want to be doing much more as we had 9 games in August alone. Playing Thursday-Sunday with Europa League qualification so overworking the players with a hard physical session like quickness wouldn't make sense. 

Archived