What PC spec affects processing speed the most?

CPU and RAM as FrazT said.  

Put it this way, I have an i7 3770k 3.5ghz  and about 86 leagues loaded, it flies through processing and im about 6 yrs in.     So i highly recommend that CPU depending on budget etc.   But then you may need new motherboard etc so again, like FrazT said, compare to a completely new machine price wise

So (obviously theoretical to some degree as the intel isn't quite in the shops yet) what do you guys think would be better for this game specifically;, an i9900k or an AMD threadripper variant with a bunch more cores?

Edited by N^G

4 minutes ago, N^G said:

So (obviously theoretical to some degree as the intel isn't quite in the shops yet) what do you guys think would be better for this game specifically;, an i9900k or an AMD threadripper variant with a bunch more cores?

Unless there has been a massive change in FM19 Intel is still better as FM isn’t optimised well enough for multiple cores/threads

10 hours ago, wateronglass said:

If you let us know your specs I can tell you if it would be worth upgrading and with what specifically. Even a 7 year old Intel platform is well worth upgrading.

Intel Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20 GHz (4 CPUs)

6GB RAM

GTX 1050 Ti

6 hours ago, N^G said:

Depends how you play FM, do you run close to all leagues & do you set them to use the full match engine?

If yes then threadrippers should be very strong performers although we do not have a great deal of practical FM benchmarking in them, if the answer is no then the best option for FM is always the highest clocked i5 you can afford as anything better is a waste of money.

41 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

6GB RAM

GTX 1050 Ti

You’ll like your new Omen laptop when it arrives.

I finally retired my i7 920 this summer & although still not exactly slow the replacement obviously provided a significantly noticeable performance jump.

35 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

6GB RAM

GTX 1050 Ti

as a rough comparison - you cpu vs the latest i5, paying special attention to single thread rating (still very relevant in FM) and overall in red https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-8400-vs-Intel-i5-650/3097vs767

It's also 6 cores vs 2 which will greatly help, its not exactly a real world comparison but its a good idea

also maybe check out the benchmark thread here - 

15 hours ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Put it this way, I have an i7 3770k 3.5ghz  and about 86 leagues loaded, it flies through processing and im about 6 yrs in.     So i highly recommend that CPU depending on budget etc.   But then you may need new motherboard etc so again, like FrazT said, compare to a completely new machine price wise

You can get a significantly newer and better CPU than a 3770K for the price it'd cost you to buy one and you'd likely have a much easier time finding a compatible motherboard for something newer too

7 minutes ago, bennytee said:

new GPU though? i'd stick with the current one if cost is an issue.  I've got a 760 gtx which is great on high graphics

Won't need to replace the GPU, you'll be able to keep that if you're happy with it

36 minutes ago, yngsarge said:

Im the same... not sure how many leagues I can run with this

Intel core i7-7700HQ @2.8GHZ

16.0 GB Ram

That's a top end laptop spec, you can run as many as you like, just depens on how quick you call quick

48 minutes ago, Gimpy said:

You can get a significantly newer and better CPU than a 3770K for the price it'd cost you to buy one and you'd likely have a much easier time finding a compatible motherboard for something newer too

yes, i was just pointing out to him that however old mine is, it breezes through FM with ease.  And its also a powerful chip regardless

17 hours ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Agree with CPU and Ram but what one person thinks is "fast" processing may be considered average by another. Somewhat amazed that you run 86 leagues and your machine flies through processing. I have 17 7700 @ 3.6ghz with 16gb ram and use SSD. I only run 28 leagues full detail and large database with circa 64000 players at start and I would not consider processing to fly. Its ok but I would not say my pc flies through processing. The game estimates my speed with set up indicated at 2 stars......

38 minutes ago, mhaffy said:

Agree with CPU and Ram but what one person thinks is "fast" processing may be considered average by another. Somewhat amazed that you run 86 leagues and your machine flies through processing. I have 17 7700 @ 3.6ghz with 16gb ram and use SSD. I only run 28 leagues full detail and large database with circa 64000 players at start and I would not consider processing to fly. Its ok but I would not say my pc flies through processing. The game estimates my speed with set up indicated at 2 stars......

My game speed is 1 and a half stars or maybe 2.  Processing fixtures and going from day to day is very quick.  I dont mess with the detail level, its whatever default is. 

19 hours ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Seriously? I got an i7-8700K 3.60GHz and I struggle above 20 leagues. How much RAM do you have?

1 hour ago, Karnack said:

Seriously? I got an i7-8700K 3.60GHz and I struggle above 20 leagues. How much RAM do you have?

That doesn't sound right try benchmarking here and compare with others https://community.sigames.com/topic/421162-fm18-performance-benchmarking-thread/

Although it could be that your definition of struggle might mean "not as fast as lightning" because your processor is the top consumer processor available at the moment 

Edited by bennytee

2 minutes ago, bennytee said:

That doesn't sound right try benchmarking here and compare with others https://community.sigames.com/topic/421162-fm18-performance-benchmarking-thread/

Although it could be that your definition of struggle might mean "not as fast as lightning" because your processor is the top consumer processor available at the moment 

I think there are a lot of us with decent PC's that don't realise how slow FM actually is on lower end systems looking at the bench marking thread. I felt it was slow last year and didn't really feel it was a great deal smoother on my 7700k vs my 2500k but then you see folk hitting 9 minutes to process those tests. The game just isn't that nippy no matter the specs of your PC

1 minute ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

I think there are a lot of us with decent PC's that don't realise how slow FM actually is on lower end systems looking at the bench marking thread. I felt it was slow last year and didn't really feel it was a great deal smoother on my 7700k vs my 2500k but then you see folk hitting 9 minutes to process those tests. The game just isn't that nippy no matter the specs of your PC

The third test is the interesting one.  It shows that the longer you play the slower the processing gets, sometimes really noticeably 

12 minutes ago, Barside said:

That’s the RAM bottleneck kicking in.

When does it kick in? Would have hoped that with 16gb I had plenty of headroom to cope with extra processing over longer period........

FM is very CPU dependent but it doesn't really uses multi-cores well. I am using a 2.7 I7 4th gen on my notebook and it can run through with 100k players loaded. 

On my Macbook, around similar spec and only a small difference in terms of speed. 

10 hours ago, bennytee said:

Will try that when I get home!

I've felt, in general, slightly disappointed after the upgrade from an i5-6700K to this processor as I've noticed zero difference in anything.

17 hours ago, trevjim said:

SSD can help alot too

Only with load & save speeds.

If you select auto-save after every match then a good quality SSD is going to reduce your waiting time. Having a RAID0 setup will speed that up but it isn't really necessary for most of FM's running time.

Hitting continue is all about the CPU and Ram.

If your getting a new mid/high end CPU then it would make sense to also get better quality DDR's (ie 3000's+ rather than 2000's)

17 hours ago, Barside said:

Depends how you play FM, do you run close to all leagues & do you set them to use the full match engine?

If yes then threadrippers should be very strong performers although we do not have a great deal of practical FM benchmarking in them, if the answer is no then the best option for FM is always the highest clocked i5 you can afford as anything better is a waste of money.

Oh, I generally just have a game with all leagues loaded (not sure about the match engine settings, whatever is default) and play it in the background while I'm doing work.

When i next upgrade i will probably end up with the intel anyway, for gaming AMD looks generally behind based on other benchmarking.

Was interested in the FM side of things given that its more like a data crunching enterprise application than a game.

As you leave match processing at the default settings then an Intel i5 cpu is the correct choice unless you now want to experience the mnost accurate simulation possible by running all competition in the full ME in which case a threadripper is a viable option, this is assuming that SI do not surprise us with an annoucement that interactions & media will support multiple core & hyperthreaded processing for FM19. 

• 11 months later...
58 minutes ago, Mr Tom said:

I’m looking at a desktop with a i5 9400f and GT 1030(cheaper). As well as one with a 3600/1660 but that’s 1000 and I rather not, if the i5 is good.

Which will this run the game well?/which one?

Please use the already open thread linked below for questions like this:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/457109-new-laptoppc-advice-please-read-the-opening-post/

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/10/2018 at 22:03, rusty217 said:

So processing times are really   long for me at the moment and I'm wondering if I were to upgrade my 

Nox Vidmate VLC PC what would affect that the most?

Will my laptop specs of processor I am using a 2.7 I7 4th gen on my notebook and it can run through with 100k players loaded.  I haven’t had one since fm15 so I’m abit out of the loop.

Edited by kamdonjacad