Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community

Recommended Posts

that's a interesting point, because the fact is Usain Bolt's speed and acceleration put's in perspective the fastest players in FM that have 19/20 for speed and acceleration.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bolt's stamina should be extremely low even if his pace and acceleration are 20. His jumping reach should be very high as well, he is tall and can jump quite high, but his heading ability should be low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Bolt's stamina should be extremely low even if his pace and acceleration are 20. His jumping reach should be very high as well, he is tall and can jump quite high, but his heading ability should be low. 

I don't know man. He's not a cheetah. This man dedicated his life to fitness. And yes, whilst sprinting is a different thing to long-distance, just look at his physiology. Or the physiology of any human being. I ran a marathon (the Cape Town marathon) not a month ago and the only fitness training I did was go to the gym a lot and play football on the weekends. And I got under 4 hours. Apparently to get under 4 hours requires 6 months to 1 year of extensive long-distance and dedicated training. But it doesn't. Fitness is actually an incredibly transferable trait.

So if there are League 2 footballers who have a stamina of circa 10-14 then I am sure Usain Bolt, who has dedicated the majority of his life to fitness, should have pretty good stamina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's not going to be in the game.  He's a publicity stunt at this stage, and would only be included if he actually registered as a proper player at a club.

Plus what kandersson says is true.  Everyone wetting themselves over a 20/20 pace and acceleration combo would probably be disappointed.  For obvious reasons, a lot of what makes him the fastest man alive probably wouldn't translate quite as well.  He could well be matched by some of the quickest players over the shorter distances (which really matter in football) and there's no telling what proportion of his speed he could manage with a ball at his feet.  Put him in a counter situation with most of the pitch to run, and he'd likely leave people in the dust, but how often does that happen?

Good luck to the guy though.  He's been at the top of his sport, and now using his profile to get himself a run-out in another.  Guy is clearly enjoying himself, and I hope it continues.  It'll never be anything more than a publicity stunt.  EA might put him in their game, but not here I'd imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A guy in football forum who saw a friendly game of his club said that Bolt tried a lot, was inside many chances but his movements and his touches with the ball were completely amateur.

Edited by Sheriff7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see both sides here. On one hand it would be fairly simple to put him in the team on an amateur contract. But on the other the game really can't represent him well. He's clearly a lot faster than a 20-pace footballer so you can't put in his only major advantage. The only way to represent his huge commerical value is to give him a very high reputation, but that probably tanks once he plays like rubbish. And I'm willing to bet the AI will get rid of him and he'll end up running around some Jamaican non-league side. Definitely a challenge for the coders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sheriff7 said:

A guy in football forum who saw a friendly game of his club said that Bolt tried a lot, was inside many chances but his movements and his touches with the ball were completely amateur.

He scored 2 goals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kandersson said:

At the very least he could be like infamous fictional San Marino player Maurizio Brillantina a few years ago.

172057-funny-random-things-football-mana

He weighs nearly 15 stone and has pace of 14 and acceleration of 12?

Does he know Lance Armstrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olympic track great Usain Bolt's fledgling football career has received a boost, scoring two second-half goals for Central Coast after struggling early in an A-League pre-season game in southwestern Sydney.

Playing in a central striking role against A-League aspirants Macarthur South West United, Bolt battled in the first half, but flourished after the break before being substituted by the Mariners at the 75-minute mark.

Bolt showed good strength to hold off a defender and race onto a Ross McCormack through-ball before beating the goalkeeper at the near post with a fierce left-foot shot in the 55th minute.

He promptly produced his famous lightning bolt celebration.

Just over 10 minutes later, he doubled his tally when he capitalised on a defensive mix-up to pounce on a loose ball and tap in from a few metres out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kandersson said:

It means he would need to run about half a football pitch to actually reach his maximum speed and I doubt he'd ever get that chance during a football game

most football sprints arent from a dead standing position, but from a moving player. i think you could take a lot off of his speed build up from that alone. and compared to most 'normal' humans in the game, that acceleration and speed would still be above the 20's given lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kandersson said:

At the very least he could be like infamous fictional San Marino player Maurizio Brillantina a few years ago.

172057-funny-random-things-football-mana

Never heard of him, what was that all about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically I'd give Bolt:

Acceleration 19

Pace 20

Jumping 18

Strength 19

Probably Determination 20 also.

Everything else maybe about 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bennyj22 said:

Realistically I'd give Bolt:

Acceleration 19

Pace 20

Jumping 18

Strength 19

Probably Determination 20 also.

Everything else maybe about 5.

His acceleration is a perfect 20. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bennyj22 said:

I don't know man. He's not a cheetah. This man dedicated his life to fitness. And yes, whilst sprinting is a different thing to long-distance, just look at his physiology. Or the physiology of any human being. I ran a marathon (the Cape Town marathon) not a month ago and the only fitness training I did was go to the gym a lot and play football on the weekends. And I got under 4 hours. Apparently to get under 4 hours requires 6 months to 1 year of extensive long-distance and dedicated training. But it doesn't. Fitness is actually an incredibly transferable trait.

So if there are League 2 footballers who have a stamina of circa 10-14 then I am sure Usain Bolt, who has dedicated the majority of his life to fitness, should have pretty good stamina.

Have you actually watched him play? From what I saw in the two appearances he played for CCM his endurance was terrible, it has been noted by others who have watched the games as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, forameuss said:

He's not going to be in the game.  He's a publicity stunt at this stage, and would only be included if he actually registered as a proper player at a club.

Plus what kandersson says is true.  Everyone wetting themselves over a 20/20 pace and acceleration combo would probably be disappointed.  For obvious reasons, a lot of what makes him the fastest man alive probably wouldn't translate quite as well.  He could well be matched by some of the quickest players over the shorter distances (which really matter in football) and there's no telling what proportion of his speed he could manage with a ball at his feet.  Put him in a counter situation with most of the pitch to run, and he'd likely leave people in the dust, but how often does that happen?

Good luck to the guy though.  He's been at the top of his sport, and now using his profile to get himself a run-out in another.  Guy is clearly enjoying himself, and I hope it continues.  It'll never be anything more than a publicity stunt.  EA might put him in their game, but not here I'd imagine.

He will be in the game if he signs a contract with CCM quite soon. I am not sure how likely it is he will get a contract, but it is certainly greater than zero. Bolt said after he was substituted that he planned to sit down with the club in the next few days and see whether he was going to be signed or not and where things go from here. 

As far as the speed goes, there was one time fairly early in the game where he took off to close down a defender and he was super quick. However when he got to the defender he just pushed him over and gave away a free kick. Still his lack of football intelligence means he does not know how to use his pace effectively.

If I was to coach Bolt I would be telling him to forget about his pace, and try and use his other asset, his height and jumping ability. He would be practising heading the ball as much as possible. He might then be an option to come off the bench for the last 20 minutes and try and head in crosses or corners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, prot651 said:

He scored 2 goals

i didn't spoke about this game + the fact he scored 2 goals  doesn't mean his movement in field and his touches are profesional....

Edited by Sheriff7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure that until he gets a contract from Central Coast or any other club, he will not be included

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FrazT said:

I am sure that until he gets a contract from Central Coast or any other club, he will not be included

So every amateur player in the database will be deleted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spurs08 said:

So every amateur player in the database will be deleted?

You know exactly what I meant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FrazT said:

You know exactly what I meant.

I understand what you said, but I think it's a very poor excuse from SI given the number of non-contract players in the game and previous precedent with Louis Tomlinson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only make assumptions about who is or is not in the game as I don't work for SI, but maybe lessons will have been learned from previous episodes.  Personally, I don't think that he will be included unless he signs a contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to have died out now, but a few years ago there was a spell of English clubs giving a supporter (who made a sizeable donation/won a raffle, can't remember the exact details now) a pro contract, complete with kit, squad number etc. Brighton actually brought theirs on (he was in his 40s IIRC) with a couple of minutes to go during a preseason friendly away at Barnet (I was there, have got a date of 26 July 2003, but can't find the guys name). 

Anyway, whoever he was - he wasn't on that years CM (as was). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, displaced_seagull said:

Seems to have died out now, but a few years ago there was a spell of English clubs giving a supporter (who made a sizeable donation/won a raffle, can't remember the exact details now) a pro contract, complete with kit, squad number etc. Brighton actually brought theirs on (he was in his 40s IIRC) with a couple of minutes to go during a preseason friendly away at Barnet (I was there, have got a date of 26 July 2003, but can't find the guys name). 

Anyway, whoever he was - he wasn't on that years CM (as was). 

Actually, I was wrong, he was 28 at the time.

Peter Ali' https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5107381.albion-2-barnet-0-competition-hots-up/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kandersson said:

Are we sure his acceleration would be that good in FM terms though? Acceleration is 'how quickly a player can reach his maximum speed when running', and Bolt's maximum speed is obviously super-high. In a 100 m race at what point does he actually reach the maximum speed? Maybe around 50-60 m (see video below)?

The end of a sprint is actually kind of an optical illusion. Most sprinters reach maximum speed between 30-40 metres and are actually slowing down from around the 70 metre point. The sprinter who appears to be hitting maximum speed is actually the one who is slowing down less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FrazT said:

I can only make assumptions about who is or is not in the game as I don't work for SI, but maybe lessons will have been learned from previous episodes.  Personally, I don't think that he will be included unless he signs a contract.

I am pretty sure Neil Brock stated this in another thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They said in the live stream yesterday that as of now he's not in the game as he is in trial and if they plan to sign him to do it before the weekend is over due to data lock.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know about the contract issue in-game, but having him registered as a player, whether pro or not, would get him included in the game wouldn't it? I always thought that was how the amateur 'contracts' worked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Are you registered if you're just on trial doing a couple of friendlies though? 

People have brought up Tomlinson, but he was actually signed by Doncaster and played in their reserves. Bolt is a different scenario entirely. He's at a long job interview right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he gets a contract, they will be knocking on my door to sign me up.

He may have speed and acceleration but his first touch is crap and his shooting nearly as bad. Clumsy as!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chumley said:

If he gets a contract, they will be knocking on my door to sign me up.

He may have speed and acceleration but his first touch is crap and his shooting nearly as bad. Clumsy as!

He's also given the Mariners more media coverage than they've probably had in their entire previous history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2018 at 21:08, monkeywool said:

 

Are you registered if you're just on trial doing a couple of friendlies though? 

People have brought up Tomlinson, but he was actually signed by Doncaster and played in their reserves. Bolt is a different scenario entirely. He's at a long job interview right now.

No, I don't think he is registered as a player at the moment, just on trial, which is why he is able to play in friendlies, which are unofficial fixtures, but not appear in the FFA Cup fixtures so far.

I believe, for the game, that once he registers as a player then he should be included, whether there is a employment contract or not.

From his few appearances so far that I've seen, I would be surprised if he is offered a contract, he has looked clumsy, poor first touch and not the best positionally, however, could be useful as a last-ditch lump-it-long and let Bolty chase it kinda player.

With the A-League restrictions and Marquee player/wage caps etc, it might come down to the squad the Mariners already have as to whether he gets a contract or not - they do have Amateur status players in the A-League I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bolt's fastest ever recorded speed is 44.7km/h. Leroy Sane is the fastest player in the Premier League at 35.5km/h.

Now, knock off some of Bolt's speed to account for him running in a football kit, on grass. Also knock a bit off for the fact that he took 65m to get up to that speed.

I won't speculate on what the result might be, but he's not that much faster than some Premier League players. Apparently Theo Walcott can tackle the 100m in 10.6 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ajsr1982 said:

Bolt's fastest ever recorded speed is 44.7km/h. Leroy Sane is the fastest player in the Premier League at 35.5km/h.

Now, knock off some of Bolt's speed to account for him running in a football kit, on grass. Also knock a bit off for the fact that he took 65m to get up to that speed.

I won't speculate on what the result might be, but he's not that much faster than some Premier League players. Apparently Theo Walcott can tackle the 100m in 10.6 seconds.

It still means he can't ever really be represented in the game. If Sane should presumably have 20 pace and Bolt can run at 40km/h in a similar circumstance it suggests he should have at least a "22/23" for pace which obviously won't be put in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if he was to be included AND he was significantly faster than any other footballer, surely he'd get the 20 pace/acceleration attributes which would mean EVERY other player in the database would need their attributes adjusted down.

 

Seems like a lot of hassle just for the sake of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You spend years (presumably) studying journalism, then probably put up with all the rubbish you have to put up with in the industry to get that chance.  That one chance.  That big shot to put out an article for a serious (ahem) publication that people will actually read.

Then you put out an article with a few hundred words that could've been answered in ten.  Pulitzer well and truly on the way for that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be a watershed moment for FM.

For years we would be telling tales of Usain Bolt leading our non-league clubs to legend. 

Edited by bennyj22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

It still means he can't ever really be represented in the game. If Sane should presumably have 20 pace and Bolt can run at 40km/h in a similar circumstance it suggests he should have at least a "22/23" for pace which obviously won't be put in.

Depends if you take it literally, or whether you apply some smoothing because it a simulation. In theory, you might argue that the top 5% quickest players have 20 pace.

It's also worth pointing out that the 1-20 we see as attributes are, I think, 1-200 divided by 10. Hover over the attributes graph on your player development screen and you'll see a decimal place, I believe. Easy enough to have 20 vs 19.5 and still have it show as 20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ajsr1982 said:

Depends if you take it literally, or whether you apply some smoothing because it a simulation. In theory, you might argue that the top 5% quickest players have 20 pace.

It's also worth pointing out that the 1-20 we see as attributes are, I think, 1-200 divided by 10. Hover over the attributes graph on your player development screen and you'll see a decimal place, I believe. Easy enough to have 20 vs 19.5 and still have it show as 20.

I could be wrong but I believe it's a bit of both. The scale does have a decimal place, but players only start with an exact number which can then go up or down depending on their developing - the thinking (which I agree with) being that it's impossible to accurate rate players on a 200-point scale and the difference between e.g. 14.8 and 14.9 would be completely arbitrary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...