Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
stockportguy86

Ways to test the game for SI?

I've seen many people on twitter who were lucky to get the alpha code to test the game for SI, is there a way I could do this for fm20 next year? 

Post frequently in the bugs section with helpful content & SI might make an approach asking if you would like to be an official external tester.

41 minutes ago, stockportguy86 said:

I've seen many people on twitter who were lucky to get the alpha code to test the game for SI, is there a way I could do this for fm20 next year? 

Being a beta tester is by invitation only but if you can demonstrate that you are contributing to the Bugs forum on a regular basis and not just wanting an early copy of the game, as @Barside says, that is the way to go.

2 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Being a beta tester is by invitation only but if you can demonstrate that you are contributing to the Bugs forum on a regular basis and not just wanting an early copy of the game, as @Barside says, that is the way to go.

Are they randomly invitations only? 

2 hours ago, stockportguy86 said:

As Mods we are not told how the invitations are arrived at, but I am sure that having a good profile on the forums and particularly in the Bugs forum will attract the attention of the SI staff.

Regarding "constricutive" feedback: It may also be useful to not have a history of "cheating AI" posts/reviews, which you'll find on Steam etc a plenty. If somebody does have such (not saying you do, no idea really), the coders know they're only gonna waste their precious time. :D I'd personally still take such players onboard, as their oft curious experience could still provide insights into what makes players "tick", and where to improve the game's general feedback that way. They're also not seldom playing with "exploity" tactics that expose ME weaknesses every once in a while.

Don't roll your eyes just yet. This will always exist in some form, by the way, for as long as it's impossible to not go a season without conceding a single shot. As for some, as soon as they concede (however rarely), it's immediately a sign of an AI cheating them, in particular if they had much more shots in that specific match. There's nothing you can do, as it's debatable whether such players understand a) random chance (or how it's implemented into a computer code), and arguably b) football. At the very least, they may want it to be something altogether in-game than it is in real life. Games are usually completely "beatable". In football, **** occurs.

Edited by Svenc

4 hours ago, stockportguy86 said:

No, I was invited to be part of the external beta testing team based on the quality & volume of issues I raised in the bugs forum following the release of FM12.

There’s no trick to it, just post about issues you come across in the manner set out in the sticky thread that is usually posted by the QA lead for each module. If you want to go the extra distance to be noticed provide as many examples of the issues as you can & when contending that real life behaviour is different provide as many examples of that as possible.

Yeah, like Barside said, there isn't a trick to it.  To be worth inviting to a closed beta, you've got to be actually worth the slot.  And you've got to have proved you're worth the slot consistently before you're offered it.  It also doesn't need to be about the pure volume of bugs you raise, definitely more about the quality of reports you give.  At a basic level, if you've got two people reporting the same bug, and one person manages to save a lot of work for that tester through the quality of the report, then that's the sort of thing you're looking at.  Detail, detail, detail.

Of course, in a lot of cases actually wanting to be on this alpha program isn't likely to mean much.  Plenty of people will think it's a brilliant idea, just so they can get earlier access to the game, not realising that at that stage (or closed beta) the game is likely to be very rough, possibly even fundamentally broken.  I wouldn't expect it to be particularly "fun" either.  It's effectively a job, albeit one that some will enjoy in the knowledge that they are helping make a better product for everyone.