Leagues to dominate.

New game is out fairly soon and after almost a whole year of getting my home town club St. Neots Town FC to the Premier League, I need a side project for a bit of fun.

Aside from Celtic and Scotland, what other leagues and teams can people suggest to me where I can breeze the season every year and focus on Eurpoe for the challenge. Yes it's a bit fo a cop-out BUT it's just for fun while I also work on the Champions League win with SNTFC.

Cheers ^_^

How big of a challenge do you want? TNS in the Welsh league are the only professional side and win it at a canter. Good luck getting through the qualifying rounds in Europe though.

Juventus. Ajax. I won the title every year at Legia Warsaw a few years back. PSG. Shakhtar Donetsk.

12 hours ago, Lascott89 said:

can breeze the season every year and focus on Eurpoe for the challenge

The trouble with PSG is you should be challenging for the CL from the start and you will quickly be winning it at ease, if not season 1 then soon after.

It sounds like you want a smaller team that you can try and grow into a CL team but not worry about tough league... So Shaktar was my first thought... Basel, Anderlecht, kobenhaven... I dont know enough about these leagues... But id base my search on those teams that regularly qualify for CL from smaller nations that are only allowed one or two teams to enter. Or what about a nation that jas no places but you can do europa instead, like qarabag (if that league is usable)? 

Rosenborg in Norway
FC Copenhagen in Denmark

Almost any top-division club in a smaller nation has the potential to become a league-killer though... All you need are a couple of great signings (usually loans of free transfers from abroad) and soon enough you'll be able to mop the floor with domestic opposition and you'll then be able to focus on climbing the ladder in European competitions

Sheriff (Moldova), Zalgiris (Lithuania), Vardar (Macedonia), Maribor (Slovenia), TP Mazembe (DR Congo), ASEC (Ivory Coast)

Also there're many leagues, where two teams are stronger then others (but almost similar by strength) - for example Ukraine, Egypt, Azerbaijan, Estonia etc.

16 hours ago, Lascott89 said:

New game is out fairly soon and after almost a whole year of getting my home town club St. Neots Town FC to the Premier League, I need a side project for a bit of fun.

Aside from Celtic and Scotland, what other leagues and teams can people suggest to me where I can breeze the season every year and focus on Eurpoe for the challenge. Yes it's a bit fo a cop-out BUT it's just for fun while I also work on the Champions League win with SNTFC.

Cheers ^_^

League of Ireland should be a breeze with Dundalk tbh. Budget and facilities are better. Fully pro set-up whilst most other teams are part-time. Europe is a really tough nut to crack for an irish side however. 

I don't agree with those suggesting PSG as Monaco spend £200m a season and hardly ever sell any major players in my game.

I'd suggest Dinamo in Croatia, as although I've never managed there, they always seem a lot better than the other Croatian sides.

Partizan or Red Star in Serbia should be OK too as although both will start strong the AI will quickly drag the one you don't manage down the table in my experience.

Sheriff in Moldova are also suggested above which I agree with, although you'll need to add the league.  In all my years playing FM, Sheriff were the strongest and most dominant domestic AI side I've faced.

Linfield in Northern Ireland. They have a huge stadium for the country (the national stadium) with a massive fan base (again, for the country). I'd be shocked if you could get to the Champions League Group phase - they start off in the 1st qualifying round I think, and are already "at their level" in terms of opposition. The size of the stadium and potential income it could generate if you get any big teams to come, by qualifying for later European stages, mean you will absolutely destroy the domestic teams week in and week out. 

3 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Victoria pilsen, young boys, galatassaray, aek athens

No chance you dominate the Greek League easily with AEK Athens. Olympiacos, Panathinaikos and PAOK are all at your feet. Victoria Plzen not so much a domination either. Nor Galatasaray.

13 minutes ago, Preveza said:

No chance you dominate the Greek League easily with AEK Athens. Olympiacos, Panathinaikos and PAOK are all at your feet. Victoria Plzen not so much a domination either. Nor Galatasaray.

Theres 100% chance i would dominate those leagues. But i get your meaning, that on paper there is competition. 

12 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Theres 100% chance i would dominate those leagues. But i get your meaning, that on paper there is competition. 

You definitely can, but I think theres other leagues which would be easier.

8 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Basel...

I was thinking about suggesting them given they've won the league the last 8 times at the start of FM18. But then they finally lost out to YB and are struggling this year.

Also if PSG is being suggested then may as well throw in Bayern Munich and Juventus.

33 minutes ago, Cal585 said:

I was thinking about suggesting them given they've won the league the last 8 times at the start of FM18. But then they finally lost out to YB and are struggling this year.

Also if PSG is being suggested then may as well throw in Bayern Munich and Juventus.

I was thinking more along the lines 'if i can win the bundealiga 10 years in a row with leverkusen, or epl with southampton... Against teams like bayern, dortmund, utd, city... Surely those teams (albeit they may have one or two rivals) must be far easier to dominate' 

:D

20 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I was thinking more along the lines 'if i can win the bundealiga 10 years in a row with leverkusen, or epl with southampton... Against teams like bayern, dortmund, utd, city... Surely those teams (albeit they may have one or two rivals) must be far easier to dominate' 

:D

Fair enough, though I notice you've thrown out both Basel and Young Boys in separate posts :D

The good thing about the Swiss League in this case is the smaller league and the winner goes straight into CL group stage.

1 hour ago, Cal585 said:

Fair enough, though I notice you've thrown out both Basel and Young Boys in separate posts :D

The good thing about the Swiss League in this case is the smaller league and the winner goes straight into CL group stage.

With only one major competitor you should be able to dominate :D

I think the question itself is a little flawed... The AI is pretty poor which is why its widely appreciated that peps city are underpowered. Ao whilst on paper if you were young boys ud think the main threat is basel and visa versa...more often than not the main league rival turns out to be a mid table team playing 442 on attack... Or a weaker team with a good counter system... Than the bigger teams whos managers play 4231 or 4123 by default

My last save was lazio where inter won the league season 1 playing 433 narrow then their manager took another job, next manager played 4231 so inter were no challenge and i won the next two seasons easily... Juve not much of a challenge in any of the three seasons. Before that i did 14 seasons with leverkusen and won the league 11 times... Biggest rival was rbl then later on frankfurt both playing 442 with pacey strikers

54 minutes ago, Lascott89 said:

Thanks all. I've added a bunch of leagues you all suggested and starting unemployed to have a bit of challenge getting the job then building half way through a season.

Did the same thing as you and ended up managing Llandudno in Wales for a season and a half. Got them to second and left because of TNS domination.

Ireland is definitely a great shout. There's an added challenge because there is no real 'break' from the football because it's on a February-October calender. Once you eventually reach group stages in Europe you're playing a lot of those teams in the off season, which means you need to keep the squad march sharp and hope that having slightly more energy than your European opponents could give an advantage, what with them still playing a league season. 

Once you reach significant quality to advance beyond the groups, the KO matches are usually played not far into the start of your domestic season, again where match sharpness and team energy levels could play a significant role in the outcome.

The better you do in Europe, the more matches you play which leaves a large backlog of fixtures delayed in the league. Really is quite satisfying being top of the table whilst having something silly like 3 or 4 games in hand. 

Ankther challenge is keeping hold of your better players, as they soon start to outgrow domestic football and look for opportunities across the water in Scotland and England. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2018 at 22:54, mightypvfc said:

Did the same thing as you and ended up managing Llandudno in Wales for a season and a half. Got them to second and left because of TNS domination.

Oh i've managed in that league before, I was Carmarthan Town. won the league 3 years in a row before moving to Newport County. Really fun league if you can get the team together.

Archived