FM19: Online Career

Vicz

All,

New FM features look great and all but I can't help but notice not even 1 new network game feature? I've searched for a thread about the future of the online career and couldn't find one, if there is one feel free to just post this thread into there (Mod). Every game on the planet has looked into ways to delve into the online multiplayer scene and FM has been doing it for a long time but honestly I'm not even sure if there is a dedicated online multiplayer development team in SI. Some of the bugs we've had to endure on release of FM have reoccurred for 5 or 6 versions now, it's actually embarrassing. In my opinion this is the most exciting mode on the game and it is being criminally overlooked. There are no special online features for the network, the most interesting thing you can do is attach a note to your friend on the back of a transfer offer, it's ridiculous. There so many unique situations that occur in a network game that SI could easily address with some ingenuity.

There's a lot I want to write but the crux of it is: can anybody from SI let us know if there's any real attention being paid to the network aspect of this game?

Recurring Bugs:

• Changing results after pressing continue
  • Human vs Human matches crashing
  • Matches crashing when Human spectates another Human match

Transfers by far in a way is the most overlooked aspect of the network games. You can easily break the transfer system on the game in a network game. Example 1, if there's a player you don't want anybody else to buy, but you actually don't have the transfer budget to buy him yourself, you can go in for the transfer, offer a huge unrealistic contract and he will accept you every time. Keep doing this till transfer deadline. Another example, say I have £100m and a player is listed for £40m. I, player A, anticipating my competitor will bid £40m, bid £60m to try to gain some exclusivity. The AI of course accepts both bids - totally unrealistic. 

There are so many opportunities for improvement, I'd do away with all the new features if they would just put some extra effort into Online Career mode.

Really a tragic that so little effort went into this an online game really is fun , one with more team being able to be played would be HUGE..but those basic problems in the code just keep everyone away from using that feature. Sad thing is i can remember the sme issue was already in the newer version of ehm so players always used EHM 2005 for a stable performance. Multiplayer seems to work now rather good in the newest EHM, so maybe just give Riz a few weeks paid off to  have time to programm EHM and get his code ;-) Not that is is thier property anyway already i guess :-) 

But yes: Online support for EHM  is better than for FM and thats rather bad considering EHM was chancelled multiple times since then.

I accept that part of the game officially is dead as feture for SI , but just fixing the most urgent crash bugs to make a stable game playable would be really great for  the development of a nice online community that enjoy this aspect of the game.

All in all theres still money tobe made if you adress this someday not via short time commitment but rather expensive season passes that would need you to commit to a real life team for a few seasons and get on waiting lists for leagues etc. Ok that is a pipe dream, but i think SI could really fix the online game destroying crash bugs.

4 minutes ago, GerdMuller said:

Really a tragic that so little effort went into this an online game really is fun , one with more team being able to be played would be HUGE..but those basic problems in the code just keep everyone away from using that feature. Sad thing is i can remember the sme issue was already in the newer version of ehm so players always used EHM 2005 for a stable performance. Multiplayer seems to work now rather good in the newest EHM, so maybe just give Riz a few weeks paid off to  have time to programm EHM and get his code ;-) Not that is is thier property anyway already i guess :-) 

But yes: Online support for EHM  is better than for FM and thats rather bad considering EHM was chancelled multiple times since then.

I accept that part of the game officially is dead as feture for SI , but just fixing the most urgent crash bugs to make a stable game playable would be really great for  the development of a nice online community that enjoy this aspect of the game.

All in all theres still money tobe made if you adress this someday not via short time commitment but rather expensive season passes that would need you to commit to a real life team for a few seasons and get on waiting lists for leagues etc. Ok that is a pipe dream, but i think SI could really fix the online game destroying crash bugs.

I'm really hoping they fix some of the bugs on release. My friends and I always play from release because the game is at its purist then, no wonderkid shortlists, ME breaking tactics etc.

By the way, what's EHM?

Eastside Hockey Manager from SI , the 2005 release worked ok in multiplayer, the later product had first issues and you could play with lesser teams, so 2005 was the gold standard of online play, the new version gets some love and personal patches on free time from riz from SI the developer in his free time.

And yes FM or EHM is only fun if you DONT know the numbers and cheats etc and can dive ito the world an enjoy the "fake realism" ;-) Thats what i hated about online play always , ohter players always "played" the game like spreadsheets, an online game , every team a real manager, hidden knowledge , only scouts and ingame knowledge, that would be the best game ever.

Thanks Muller. Another thing that needs to be improved is player interactions while manager is on holiday/not connected during a network game. The simplest fix is to let the Assistant Manager or Highly Influential player of choice deal with it. This cannot be hard to code and if there was a team dedicated to network games I feel this would have been identified by now...

• 1 month later...

For the first time in many versions. My online game with my friend has him seeing different club names.
He can never see his own kit even though he has the identical graphics files but this has happened last 2 years.
You can no longer edit players appearance after the fact.

This game could be bigger if they fixed the online game issues. But hey, its purple!! The game is getting worse and taking away features. Learn Blizzard's lesson guys! Focus on the game and the revenue will look after itself. If they don't fix these issues, it's over for me.

Archived