Football Manager 2019 Feature Blogs: Revamped Tactics Module

4 hours ago, Sticx said:

It seems like all of the tactical changes are being centered on tactic creation which is good, but I would like to see more going into helping you adjust tactically during a match. I can design a good functioning tactic, but struggle t adapt to the Ai manager changes. For example, it would be great if your assistant could let you know during a match something like "hey boss, they are building all of their attacks through our left side, maybe we should put a bwm there to counter?" Or "they are attempting a lot of long balls over the top, maybe we should drop our d-line back a bit." You could argue that all of the information is there for you to find out yourself, but with all of that information it can feel like you're trying to drink from the fire hose st times. It would be nice if your assistant gave you helpful advice instead of hey, we're winning our fair share of headers, let's pump the ball into the box nonsense. 

I agree. I can build a solid tactic but struggle to adapt during matches. I find it odd that I could be at a top club and have an assistant manager with very high tactical knowledge and judging player ability and he still gives me the same useless "we're being overrun in midfield" advice that my default assistant manager in Serie C repeated ad nauseam as well. I'd love to see better feedback from backroom staff, tactically and otherwise, and I also think there should be more variation between high and low quality staff.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

The feedback threads are going to be fun with all these high pressing presets but no new ME. 

How far away is the new ME ? It's been a couple of years since it was mentioned it was in the works , has it not ?

The hope is there has been some significant tweaking to the current ME to reflect how modern pressing works. 

Given there has been changes to attacking and defensive width in the tactics you’d expect this has also been tweaked in the ME. 

Proof will be in the pudding to how it plays out and what the impact is on the realism of matches/stats etc. Highly suspect it won’t be quite right until after a patch or two. 

Le 06/10/2018 à 14:05, Scoham a dit :

FM18 didn’t allow you to

- set attacking and defensive widths

- play an attacking defensive forward (renamed a pressing forward)

- choose to counter press, regroup or mixed (i.e. neither selected) on any mentality

- choose to counter, hold shape or mixed (neither selected( on any mentality

- play a Libero at DC

- choose to play for set pieces

- more options means more styles of pressing through combination of pressing intensity, defensive line, line of engagement, split attacking/defensive width, counter press/regroup/mixed and opposition instructions

To say there’s nothing new isn’t true. There’s not loads but definitely some very good changes there. I’d rather they got these spot on for both the player and the AI than add a lot of new options that’s don’t work properly.

Set attacking width : false you can do it easily with the width team instructions.

Set defensive width : what's the point ? Defensive width is determined by the shape of the attacking team. You don't want your wingback to play narrow when the opponent play with wingers out wide. The defensive positioning is 100% determined by the opponent, not the formation. And how you can tell your defenders to mark tighter and to hold a defined shape at the same time, nonsense.

Attacking defensive forward false easy to do using the right role tweaked with player instructions

Counter is a matter of tempo and passing style, pressing is tweakable in every mentality, same for tempo and passing

Libero at DC again what's the point : having a DC who covers, don't do too much pressing and try to play from the back : tottally doable with right role and player instructions

Play for set pieces : you seriously think that this thing will make a big change in tactics and ME Come on!

In fact I think the power of fm18 tactics is underrated because a lot of instructions were unclear and the consequences of tactical choices was unclear too. So now it seems that you can do a lot of new things but actually everything was doable in fm18 but it took time to understand the badly named mentalities or the combinations of roles, duties, positions, team and player instructions plus players preferred moves.

14 minutes ago, chris31k said:

Libero at DC again what's the point : having a DC who covers, don't do too much pressing and try to play from the back : tottally doable with right role and player instructions

You’ve obviously no idea what a libero is then because it definitely can’t be done with a CB in FM. 

1 hour ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

The feedback threads are going to be fun with all these high pressing presets but no new ME. 

How far away is the new ME ? It's been a couple of years since it was mentioned it was in the works , has it not ?

You don't need a new match engine to have big changes in a match engine. 

il y a 3 minutes, howard moon a dit :

You’ve obviously no idea what a libero is then because it definitely can’t be done with a CB in FM. 

Just go to wikipedia and read the libero description. Then launch a game fm18 game set a dc in ball playing defender cover. Give him the right instructions, play with team instructions which allows him to do his job, ( passing style is important, pressing also) and give him the right PPM. Youve got your libero.  And im amused by the fact that were arguing over a role that has totally disappeared in modern football :)

16 minutes ago, chris31k said:

Just go to wikipedia and read the libero description. Then launch a game fm18 game set a dc in ball playing defender cover. Give him the right instructions, play with team instructions which allows him to do his job, ( passing style is important, pressing also) and give him the right PPM. Youve got your libero.  And im amused by the fact that were arguing over a role that has totally disappeared in modern football :)

No, the Libero and BPD differ especially in one key aspect - the libero roams forward. You're not going to get the same behaviour with a Player Trait.

il y a une heure, HUNT3R a dit :

No, the Libero and BPD differ especially in one key aspect - the libero roams forward. You're not going to get the same behaviour with a Player Trait.

New fm18 ppm for CB : brings ball out of defense. 

I don't mean to be rude, love the community but you're underestimate fm18 possibilities. SI made a fantastic work and I think they don't have found how to get further in tactics this year. I criticize fm19 new features in tactics because there's nothing new, we can argue for hours but I can prove you that you can do pretty much everything, setting all types of play styles with fm18 tactics module. I've done it, Cleon have done it, he had even posted the settings for all styles. Nothing new in 19 because 18 was nearly perfect in terms of setting a formation and play style. Just very very hard to understand without hundreds of hours testing 

Just now, chris31k said:

New fm18 ppm for CB : brings ball out of defense. 

Which (as the trait says) brings the ball out of defence. So, when he has the ball. The libero roams forward as I said, even without the ball, so you cannot replicate it.

il y a 6 minutes, HUNT3R a dit :

Which (as the trait says) brings the ball out of defence. So, when he has the ball. The libero roams forward as I said, even without the ball, so you cannot replicate it.

So you mean that one of the CB in a 4 men defense or the only CB that is in the center in a 3 men defense position himself higher...leaving a huge gap behind him...defense works as a line or a pair (the two CBS) I'm sorry but I dont see any teams that play with only one CB going up on the pitch breaking the entire defensive line. 

Just now, chris31k said:

So you mean that one of the CB in a 4 men defense or the only CB that is in the center in a 3 men defense position himself higher...leaving a huge gap behind him...defense works as a line or a pair (the two CBS) I'm sorry but I dont see any teams that play with only one CB going up on the pitch breaking the entire defensive line. 

A libero is literally that though - a defender who pushes forward in a 3 man defence. His job is to support the midfield. In FM18, you can see this happening.

youre right! But again, not without the other 2 CBS who follow the move. You can't have the central CB playing higher the the other 2. Imagine how you'll be punished in transitions, the space you left in the center behind him. Not a single team play like that.

You can have a sort of playmaker in the center of a 3 men defense...by setting a high defensive line (they'll support midfield) and give the one in the center the ball playing defender role and you can even reinforce that by training him with the right PPM 

And you can give the others two CBS the limited CB role, forcing them to play the nearest passing solution, give the team the play out of defense instructions and then, with the relations between all the options youll have the center CB that will receive all the balls from the other 2 CBS reinforcing that "playmaker" role that you can expect from a libero

Not to mention were talking only about the libero but i talk about the fact that everything SI have done in fm19 tactics was implemented in fm18, just harder to understand, to set and to be honest i dont want to speak about a dead football role for hours :)  

il y a 5 minutes, herne79 a dit :

Probably worth waiting to see how the Libero actually plays out in FM19's Match Engine before making your mind up :thup:.

Totally agree! If its a modernized role like bonucci or pique. A CB who tends to participate to the building, who can be that deep lying playmaker it can be very interesting. But the only thing that can be new infm19 is that this guy "attracts" the ball like the playmaker. In terms of positioning, passing, pressing and risk taking everything was tweakable in fm18

Just now, chris31k said:

I spoke about defensive width. I posted something about that earlier in this thread

I know.  You were wrong about it then as well ;).

You can influence starting positions of players, you can influence rate of transitions back into your defensive shape, but not your actual defensive width - which we can now do in FM19.

Defensive width is totally dependent of the attacking shape of the opponent. The only situation were you can ignore the wingers and get as narrow as possible is when you park the bus, i give you that. Again not a thing that will change all the game approach as its available for only one tactical style.

But that's not the point, i will buy the game, i love this game, SI made a fantastic job. But don't fool me, the game become more and more casual, new features are harder to find as many things have been done already (especially in tactics) and this year tactics revamp announcement is a clear example of that. Despite that, fm19 will be the best management game as a result of years of great work and i will play it for hundreds of hours

And dont worry about my mistakes, i quit careers because of the ease i have to win almost every game after 4 or 5  seasons :):):) 

Segundo volante : tremendous new feature

carrilero, mezzala same

Look for underlap : very interesting 

"Links" between wingbacks and wingers, the two CBs,  etc... and links that tighten with time : really a great addition i love it

That's what i call new features. Again i dont blame Si as theyve done so much great work last years that i can understand how hard is it to bring something new this year

Can someone explain how you would benefit from changing defensive width?

I tend to make a lot of changes during matches and I often find myself switching to defensive or contain, to protect the lead. And I'm pretty sure that defensive width changes with that, meaning the whole thing was already in the game, just under the hood. When I watch matches while playing on those low mentalities, the defensive width gets really narrow, I find even wingers tucking in much more than you would expect. I'm also pretty sure that @Rashidi mentioned using mentality to change defensive width in one of his videos, but I could be wrong about that (don't remember exactly where I saw or read about it).

Edited by DiStru_

1 minute ago, DiStru_ said:

Can someone explain how you would benefit from changing defensive width?

I tend to make a lot of changes during matches and I often find myself switching to defensive or contain, to protect the lead. And I'm pretty sure that defensive width changes with that, meaning the whole thing was already in the game, just under the hood. When I watch matches while playing on those low mentalities, the defensive width gets really narrow, I find even wingers tucking in much more than you would expect. I'm also pretty sure that @Rashidi mentioned using mentality to change defensive width in one of his videos, but I could be wrong about that (don't remember exactly where I saw or read about it).

In FM18 a lot of your width settings were interconnected with a other instructions. Now they are not, which will give you much more flexibility to create a defence ie. no longer having to change mentality to narrow your defence

CBs are non-existent during the build-up or attacking phase (with possession)

defenders and midfielders don't pass between themselves using tiki taka during build up play or attacking.

midfielders only pass between themselves during build up,  this is a big flaw and doesn't represent real football 

Why has no one complained about this before?

if this is not changed during FM19 i will be the first to complain about it.

Edited by kingking

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

In FM18 a lot of your width settings were interconnected with a other instructions. Now they are not, which will give you much more flexibility to create a defence ie. no longer having to change mentality to narrow your defence

That's exactly what I'm wondering about, what are some scenarios when you would want to have narrow defensive width? Opponent playing 3 central strikers? Or for example, wide defensive width, if your opponent is playing two wingers, meaning the wide defensive width will give your fullbacks closer starting positions to them? 

Until now it was sort of obvious to me, that the lower the mentality, the narrow the defensive shape (less space between the players), so I didn't think much about it.

6 minutes ago, kingking said:

CBs are non-existent during the build-up or attacking phase (with possession)

Why has no one complained about this before?

:D

Then again as pointed out a bit by @MBarbaric and others, unlike in football play doesn't need to often go all the way back again to unsettle the "state of defending" on FM. It all goes a bit both ways. Unless when literally wasting time, teams don't get their backs that much involved because they, well try to get their backs more involved. They do it because they run into a cul-de-sac where they can't progress forward and need to rebuild. On FM, that doesn't happen much.

Edited by Svenc

il y a 2 minutes, themadsheep2001 a dit :

I say it since the beginning, fm18 tactics module is very complex, and you can do pretty much everything but not directly. you dont have the option, the slider to do that. But tweaking some of the others options you can indirectly set for example the defensive width or a lot of other things

As for the flexibility that fm19 brings. To do what ? have a conservative line of defence with an agressive attacking unit ? Set the tempo, the passing, use the right roles. And team shape allows you to split mentalities between players. 

Ok i stop :):):)  because i love fm19 but that just good marketing that youre doing right now. (I'm telling this with a smile on my face fyi :) :)  )

5 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

That's exactly what I'm wondering about, what are some scenarios when you would want to have narrow defensive width? Opponent playing 3 central strikers? Or for example, wide defensive width, if your opponent is playing two wingers, meaning the wide defensive width will give your fullbacks closer starting positions to them? 

Until now it was sort of obvious to me, that the lower the mentality, the narrow the defensive shape (less space between the players), so I didn't think much about it.

If you;re getting picked apart through the middle you can narrow your defence, but this might leave you exposed on the flanks. Equally you might be up against great wide men, so you defend wider to engage them with your full backs earlier.

3 hours ago, chris31k said:

Set attacking width : false you can do it easily with the width team instructions.

Set defensive width : what's the point ? Defensive width is determined by the shape of the attacking team. You don't want your wingback to play narrow when the opponent play with wingers out wide. The defensive positioning is 100% determined by the opponent, not the formation. And how you can tell your defenders to mark tighter and to hold a defined shape at the same time, nonsense.

Attacking defensive forward false easy to do using the right role tweaked with player instructions

Counter is a matter of tempo and passing style, pressing is tweakable in every mentality, same for tempo and passing

Play for set pieces : you seriously think that this thing will make a big change in tactics and ME Come on!

In fact I think the power of fm18 tactics is underrated because a lot of instructions were unclear and the consequences of tactical choices was unclear too. So now it seems that you can do a lot of new things but actually everything was doable in fm18 but it took time to understand the badly named mentalities or the combinations of roles, duties, positions, team and player instructions plus players preferred moves.

You said “There's not a single instruction that you can't assign in fm18“which isn’t true. That’s not the same thing as saying the new instructions are small additions.

The new options may be pointless to you but others will feel differently.

I’d also say that making things easier to do is a good thing - it opens the game up to more players. More players means more income which can be invested into making future  versions better.

2 hours ago, Svenc said:

:D

Then again as pointed out a bit by @MBarbaric and others, unlike in football play doesn't need to often go all the way back again to unsettle the "state of defending" on FM. It all goes a bit both ways. Unless when literally wasting time, teams don't get their backs that much involved because they, well try to get their backs more involved. They do it because they run into a cul-de-sac where they can't progress forward and need to rebuild. On FM, that doesn't happen much.

that was a good read, i pray to god S.I fixes this tbh.

I struggle to maintain possession or waste time when i'm not involving the CB during Build-Up

Because it is an important part of football being able to maintain possession or waste time by involving your defenders (CB) in the build-up , 

In FM19 i hope the M.E will represent tiki taka or control possession good where defenders and midfielders pass between themselves via tiki taka during in-possession build-up play... so the defenders will be more involved, have more passess during the match.

Edited by kingking

il y a 3 minutes, Scoham a dit :

You said “There's not a single instruction that you can't assign in fm18“which isn’t true. That’s not the same thing as saying the new instructions are small additions.

The new options may be pointless to you but others will feel differently.

I’d also say that making things easier to do is a good thing - it opens the game up to more players. More players means more income which can be invested into making future  versions better.

Totally agree with you. More players are a good thing for everyone, and if making thing easier can brings some more people to play fm i would be very happy.

To be honest i think that the critics and the press don't salute FM as it should be. I play video games for decades and FM is deeper than 99% of the recent games. It reminds me the old games that you have to play 200 hours to finish. Learning all the mechanics, failing hundreds of times :) 

But don't forget your loyal players that have spent 200h on every iteration. Make the game more casual, easy to understand is good for everyone as i said before but not sufficient to please the guys that bought every game you released

And i know that the new options will be a huge update for a lot of players, but i can't honestly say that its new and a big revamp, not after spending hours tweaking things up in fm18, losing games, raging against ME to finally understand whats needs to be done in tactics module to achieve styles of play and making my team do what i want them to do. But i clearly understand why the game needs to be more casual, more clear and i see the benefits of it for everyone, even me : more players = more money = more resources to develop new features in future

13 minutes ago, kingking said:

I hope the M.E will represent tiki taka or control possession good,  where defenders and midfielders pass between themselves via tiki taka during in-possession build-up play... so the defenders will be more involved, have more passess during the match defenders will have a lot more passes during the match.

If you honestly expect to see such match engine changes, you will be disappointed.

Have to agree with chris31k, most of the changes are just making the game easier to play, but that's about it. I don't see a match engine revamp coming anytime soon, sadly. And without that, don't expect any big changes or more freedom when it comes to creating tactics, because the AI would simply not be able to follow. If you were given complete freedom to do anything you wanted on the tactics screen, there would be engine breaking tactics posted to this forum within hours of the game being released. That's why you're sort of locked down to a couple of roles, duties and instructions, you can still do a lot with that, but I guess the dream would be to have complete tactical freedom. And we won't have that anytime soon, because the AI is simply not good enough.

As for this specific suggestion, maybe they could add the playmaker's "ball magnetism" to BPDs, making them more likely to get more involved with the play. But then again, even though it might not sound like a big change, I guess such changes would require a lot of work in the match engine. And why do that, if you can instead make a couple of cosmetic changes and sell features that were sort of in the game already as something completely new? ;)

Edited by DiStru_

20 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

If you honestly expect to see such match engine changes, you will be disappointed.

Have to agree with chris31k, most of the changes are just making the game easier to play, but that's about it. I don't see a match engine revamp coming anytime soon, sadly. And without that, don't expect any big changes or more freedom when it comes to creating tactics, because the AI would simply not be able to follow. If you were given complete freedom to do anything you wanted on the tactics screen, there would be engine breaking tactics posted to this forum within hours of the game being released. That's why you're sort of locked down to a couple of roles, duties and instructions, you can still do a lot with that, but I guess the dream would be to have complete tactical freedom. And we won't have that anytime soon, because the AI is simply not good enough.

As for this specific suggestion, maybe they could add the playmaker's "ball magnetism" to BPDs, making them more likely to get more involved with the play. But then again, even though it might not sound like a big change, I guess such changes would require a lot of work in the match engine. And why do that, if you can instead make a couple of cosmetic changes and sell features that were sort of in the game already as something completely new? ;)

Mate all we can do is hope that FM19 ME will represent better football that match reality, i don't want it to be perfect, but i want it to be good.

I agree the A.I isn't strong enough that it can allow us more freedom to replicate reality (tiki-taka involving CBs during build-up play (With-Possession) to waste time or maintain possession)

With these new tactical styles, i expect tiki taka or Gengenpress to represent reality to a better degree in the match engine 

Yeah S.I lets add "ball magnetism" to BPD or a team instruction where you "Involve Defense" during Build-Up Play (With-Possession)

All we can do is wait for the BETA and see how the ME plays with the new Tactical Features.

It is a long and difficult process but i believe the ME and Tactic System can improve and improve over time.

Edited by kingking

47 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

I'm interested to see how defensive width and opposition instructions interact. I normally play a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 midfield diamond so I need my fullbacks to make up for the lack of wingers. I usually compensate by instructing them to always close down the opposition wide players, dragging them up and out to try to stop crosses from being let off, however this sometimes leaves me caught out when the other team's fullbacks overlap the winger.

Perhaps setting my defense to wide but leaving the OI blank this will put my fullbacks in the right area to begin with but allow them to make their own decisions based on the situation. I'll have to play around with this, maybe I'll set them wide but also keep the OI, I'm not sure. Really I would like the two CMs to track back with the oncoming opposition fullbacks, but I haven't really figured out how to do this well, it seems like the "close down" OI really speaks more to my fullbacks.

Having a new role for CB : playmaking defender. He attract the ball and push the midfield up front as he takes responsibility for the restart of play,  keeping the ball, looking for a good pass as the midfield spread out. It allows you to have one more men to build up your attacks as the deep lying playmaker can be higher, every man on midfield is a solution of pass and the "first build-up pass" is the responsibility of the playmaking defender. Ask guardiola, he invented it :) he always give the responsibility of the "first build up pass" to one of his central defenders and tells his midfielders to spread out to occupy space. That why its very hard to press high against guardiola :) .

But this new role needs to change the behavior of his teammates, not espacially his behavoir, as the BPD is already there. It needs to makes players pass him the ball and to midfield spread out to offer passing solutions higher up on the pitch

Thats a new feature !! :) 

il y a 3 minutes, themadsheep2001 a dit :

Most people still haven't worked out that changing things in the Tactics creator also requires revamping the ME and the AI. Otherwise the instructions wont work, and the opposition won't use them correctly...

So you're telling us that there's noting new in FM19 tactics, just cosmetics ?

1 hour ago, chris31k said:

Having a new role for CB : playmaking defender. He attract the ball and push the midfield up front as he takes responsibility for the restart of play,  keeping the ball, looking for a good pass as the midfield spread out. It allows you to have one more men to build up your attacks as the deep lying playmaker can be higher, every man on midfield is a solution of pass and the "first build-up pass" is the responsibility of the playmaking defender. Ask guardiola, he invented it :) he always give the responsibility of the "first build up pass" to one of his central defenders and tells his midfielders to spread out to occupy space. That why its very hard to press high against guardiola :) .

But this new role needs to change the behavior of his teammates, not espacially his behavoir, as the BPD is already there. It needs to makes players pass him the ball and to midfield spread out to offer passing solutions higher up on the pitch

Thats a new feature !! :) 

CB (playmaking defender) sounds like pique, sounds like a perfect role.

Mate this is what we should be discussing, how to get CBs to be more involved in build-up play and attacking phase (with possession). in order to create benefits of wasting time, maintaing possession or finding space in the midfield or final-third.

CB's can now be Libero in FM19, Liberos support midfielders and strikers by going further up during build-up and attacking play (with possession) .

Can we have 2 CB's as Liberos? can anyone confirm this?

Libero is good, However we need CBs that supports the midfielder by holding position and being available to tiki taka with them, tiki taka between the CB and the Midfielders to maintain possession, find space or waste time.

Edited by kingking

you're telling us that changes in tactics creator are complex, that they requires revamping ME and AI or it wont work suggesting that we cant ask for changes just like that.

Bringing that in that conversation is weird, buy anyway...

I've read a little bit more of the posts on this thread and i made my opinion : nothing new in tactics, and i realize, reading the other posts before today that i'm clearly not the only one thinking that

il y a 3 minutes, kingking a dit :

Mate this is what we should be discussing, how to get CBs to be more involved in build-up play and attacking phase (with possession). in order to create benefits of wasting time, maintaing possession or finding space in the midfield or final-third.

CB's can now be Libero in FM19, Liberos support midfielders and strikers by going further up during build-up and attacking play (with possession) .

Can we have 2 CB's as Liberos? can anyone confirm this?

We need a CB that supports the midfielder by being available to play tiki taka with them, tiki taka between the CB and the Midfielders to maintain possession, find space or waste time.

It depends on what SI made with the "libero". If its the playmaking defender ive described its what you looking for, its a great new feature but the name libero is false. But thats not the first time SI messed up with the names of its features.

If its a BPD who plays higher up on the pitch, as a moderator told me before, its useless and very risky in transition phases

12 minutes ago, chris31k said:

It depends on what SI made with the "libero". If its the playmaking defender ive described its what you looking for, its a great new feature but the name libero is false. But thats not the first time SI messed up with the names of its features.

If its a BPD who plays higher up on the pitch, as a moderator told me before, its useless and very risky in transition phases

I don't think you actually understood what he was saying at all. The Libero is the classic version with existed in a 3 man defence

On 06/10/2018 at 11:55, chris31k said:

I'm sorry guys but i don't see any new feature in the tactics.

The tactical styles presets is nothing more than a bunch of team instructions chosen by the game and not by you. There's not a single instruction that you can't assign in fm18. Nothing new,  it just made easier to create a tactic. 

I would love to see how I can, as I seemingly can in FM19, have a real gegenpress, Klopp-style. I've tried, in vain, to get the players to follow this exact principle:

If the ball is lost then have a insanely high pressure for about 5-7 seconds, should this fail to regain the ball, then fall back into a structured defensive shape.

In FM18, I cannot do this, I cannot BOTH have a high pressing and a stand-off style after the defensive transition, as far as I know. This seems to be possible in FM19, though we will have to wait and see. Transitional instructions are partially possible in FM18, but gegenpressing is not an aspect that is possible as far as I know. I've asked around, both here and other places, and I have gotten a lot of suggestions, but none that have implemented anything resembling gegenpress.

So if you have a tactic where this actually works, please link me to it and let me try it out.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

If the ball is lost then have a insanely high pressure for about 5-7 seconds, should this fail to regain the ball, then fall back into a structured defensive shape.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

This seems to be possible in FM19

I am highly skeptical that the match engine is suddenly capable and advanced enough to accurately replicate this. The absence of any match footage to demonstrate the very concepts that players are most excited about of is deeply alarming. 

It's like a company marketing a new mobile phone, but only showing you the shop front and the clothes their staff will wear.

I'm fully aware that a counter argument to this is that the ME is constantly being worked on up to release, but they surely must have been able to show us a proof of concept; even if it were a few seconds of 2D footage.

25 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

I am highly skeptical that the match engine is suddenly capable and advanced enough to accurately replicate this. The absence of any match footage to demonstrate the very concepts that players are most excited about of is deeply alarming. 

It's like a company marketing a new mobile phone, but only showing you the shop front and the clothes their staff will wear.

I'm fully aware that a counter argument to this is that the ME is constantly being worked on up to release, but they surely must have been able to show us a proof of concept; even if it were a few seconds of 2D footage.

They haven't run an ME video this early since FM12. Which also had the least work done to it pre-release. Nothing alarming about it, it's usually one of the last things to come out. 

1 hour ago, rdbayly said:

Oh I don't know, but from the images we have seen and the discussion and statements from SI it seems we SHOULD be able to, at least to a much wider extent, recreate things like this in FM19. What I argued is that the user stated there were no changes based on what we had seen so far. And that is just plain wrong. Though IF these things will not show in the actual match, then he might be correct. But by what we have to go on at the moment, in regards to transitional instructions, then there is most definitely changes from FM18 to FM19.

As @themadsheep2001 states, they rarely show ME footage very early, so in that regard I'm not overly concerned. I do hope there are big improvements in the ME this year.

They also haven't shown any information regarding what I consider a key aspect, manager AI in regards to transfers and squad management. Now, this might not be something that user who play for a couple of seasons will notice, but when you play long term saves quite far into the future, then you see big gaps in squads, managers who use their entire budgets on a 7th striker top striker when they glaring issues in midfield, or defense. This also goes for player AI, both inside and out of matches. Players wanting to leave "to win titles" when I'm challenging for the title, while the reputational bigger club are heading for relegation, stuff like that. For me this is the biggest thing I would like to see improved, along these tactical changes.

3 minutes ago, kosecki99 said:

They don´t show ME, because it is exactly the same as FM18. They only add a few animations!!!!:seagull:

How do you know this? You know people inside SI?