Football Manager 2019 Feature Blogs: Revamped Tactics Module

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, another season of 4-1-2-3 and 5-3-2WB.

Please SI, just name these formations properly (4-3-3/3-5-2) etc so that you are able to use the correctly named formations with a holding mid (4-3-3) and wing backs (3-5-2/3-4-3)

1 hour ago, olivermcpherson said:

Tactics overhaul would be good... If it actually worked! So frustrating that it’s changed so much and even more annoying that when a player gets injured, it takes you to the tactics screen where you can’t actual make a sub. Proper amateur hour stuff this year.

How do you know this? 

4 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

At a guess because your tactical style, combined with formation, player roles, and TI's will make choosing those options redundant. 

Or you can still achieve those without having to use a one click button and/or it may now involve actually creating a specific style or using one of the presets

1 hour ago, Jean0987654321 said:

HAHA. That won't be me when I win Champions League with Depor with it...or gegenpress :D

I am actually more interested in how people will evolve some of these presets into their own unique styles of play coupled with focused training. That sounds like the holy grail for FM19. Once you achieve that and have a solid recruitment strategy in place you could be in for some interesting times, or the challenge of playing FM19 may end after January. Either the game becomes really hard or these presets will make the game so easy for people, it won't be much of a challenge. Only time will tell.

12 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I am actually more interested in how people will evolve some of these presets into their own unique styles of play coupled with focused training. That sounds like the holy grail for FM19. Once you achieve that and have a solid recruitment strategy in place you could be in for some interesting times, or the challenge of playing FM19 may end after January. Either the game becomes really hard or these presets will make the game so easy for people, it won't be much of a challenge. Only time will tell.

Yeah, that is my plan. To make my own style. Hopefully, these templates just makes it a bit easier to whip up a tactic...

I created my own catenaccio in FM18 with standard mentality. Result? Finished 2nd as Frankfurt in Bundesliga first season. 37 goals scored and 23 conceded in 34 games. Frankfurt were predicted to finish 11th. 

So a style can be created in many ways. I even created tiki taka differently in FM18 than how it's done in FM19 templates.

18 hours ago, herne79 said:

Hopefully the idea that these are starting points rather than finished plug and play tactics that are auto-win features will be made clear in game.

The very notion that "tactics" would or could be "auto win" features is so absurd it's silly. What kind of football are people watching? Because it must be on a different planet. Then again, aside of the game which allows tactics to be eerily close (reasons discussed ad nauseum) -- even the tactics subforum can be (in parts) to blame for this. It's kinda funny though that every time a forward may miss a couple one on ones, that is a possible bug to investigate (well not really). But when player quality and with it development and transfer markets are drawn half redundant, teams come out with a completely fantasy ratio of shots to goals over seasons consistently etc -- that's never much reported. :D 

In that sense, what these "presets" if successful may do is what the actual job, or a big part of tactics is. It's (easier) implementing the basics foundations a playing style, ideally suited to the players at hand. And with it, having a plan, an idea; thus slightly increasing the chance of taking a few added points -- in a sports that is settled in slight margins rather than decisive edges all ove the world, no matter where. Expecting teams to just win because you've just unlocked some magic winning formula that keeps on repeating and confuses opposition to the degree that the most average of forwards pop into space over and over again for all eternity and managers couldn't even fully adapt to it even if they tried -- that's nothing to do with football whatsoever. FM's coded to be a bit of a football sim game, after all. Which may be the reason why SI don't provide "winning formulas". (NOt that they may keep players from trying to find one).

Get realz, people.

Edited by Svenc

4 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Interesting that you would say that. Ever since I saw details of the presets that I'm interested in I've been thinking up how I would tailor and evolve my own one. It may be a bit silly as I don't know how these instructions play out in the ME yet. I'm curious to see what effect roles and duties have on the same preset tactic.

Personally, I look at these preset tactics as templates...similar to how player roles were when introduced.....they can be tweaked similarly.....if one understands what each instruction does.....

I'm looking forward to what sort of ideas the likes of yourself, Cleon, Herne and O-zil to Arsenal present in your threads.

So, will there still be three formations your team will train like before? And if so, how is that compatible with the style you shoose..like you choose tiki taka so will the three formations all be in the same style of football or you will be able to pick one tiki taka, one geggenpressing and one park the bus style? That would seem a bit unrealistic, teams usually have one style of play but can switch a few formations under that one style. I don't think a team can play three different styles of football. Any clarification on this?

On 14/10/2018 at 14:26, herne79 said:

Yeh it might be nothing more than a naming convention.  That screenshot looks like AML/R are used.  Something to look at when the open Beta hits and raise if needed :thup:.

It's a bit low quality pic, but it's a confirmation of what was said.

fZBnEE1.png

46 minutes ago, luka_ said:

So, will there still be three formations your team will train like before? And if so, how is that compatible with the style you shoose..like you choose tiki taka so will the three formations all be in the same style of football or you will be able to pick one tiki taka, one geggenpressing and one park the bus style? That would seem a bit unrealistic, teams usually have one style of play but can switch a few formations under that one style. I don't think a team can play three different styles of football. Any clarification on this?

You can check some of the YouTube footage that came out yesterday and over the weekend. 

Yes, from what I saw you can train 3 different tactics. They can be different styles. However, the tooltip mentions that only the main tactic will be used for training purposes - as this is now linked to your style. The others are trained for familiarity only and at a slower rate. 

How did they achieve the CB’s splitting like that/going wide when building from the back? Anyone knows? That has been my single biggest wish for FM 19 - which looks really promising. 

Also, has the team instructions been totally split from the mentality, so mentality is only about risk taking and doesnt increase/decrease width-tempo-pressing and so on? 

1 hour ago, Gegenklaus said:

How did they achieve the CB’s splitting like that/going wide when building from the back? Anyone knows? That has been my single biggest wish for FM 19 - which looks really promising.

My assumption is that this is just how the GK Distribution of "Distribute to Centre Backs" works now. Would be interesting to see if you can press it effectively with a High Line Of Engagement and "Prevent Short GK Distribution" if you're the team out of possession.

15 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

My assumption is that this is just how the GK Distribution of "Distribute to Centre Backs" works now. Would be interesting to see if you can press it effectively with a High Line Of Engagement and "Prevent Short GK Distribution" if you're the team out of possession.

Yeah, hopefully you can press it. I wonder how it works with a Half Back - if the split is the same as without a HB dropping then I am a very happy man - VERY! 

I cannot wait for FM19 - such a great step in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, Gegenklaus said:

Also, has the team instructions been totally split from the mentality, so mentality is only about risk taking and doesnt increase/decrease width-tempo-pressing and so on? 

Folk were saying that it was a result of the high press from the opposition striker rather than the CBs splitting because your building from the keeper

49 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Folk were saying that it was a result of the high press from the opposition striker rather than the CBs splitting because your building from the keeper

Oh okay. They were saying that on the stream? 

On 27/09/2018 at 11:41, johnnyyakuza78 said:

Well I'm interested to see what these things actually mean. 

Line of engagement.. is that just affecting pressing and mentality of strikers or is it an entirely new behaviour.

Defensive width was sort of affected by mentality before, it just wasn't something you could affect otherwise.

The counter press stuff I do like the idea of however, that could well be a fundamental change as pressing was the area of the game that really needed updating.

Line of engagement is how high up the pitch you start to press.

The new options simply open up far more possibilities in how to set up your tactic.

Example: In FM18 I can't possibly instruct my team to press high up the pitch when we lose the ball, but if we don't win it back right away then drop back into defensive position and sit deep. Then wait until they cross the halfway line and then try to win the ball at all costs. Simply impossible in FM18.

In 19 I would achieve this by having counter-press on to try to win it back, a low line of engagement to then sit back if I don't win it back, a lower defensive line to absorb pressure, and high pressing intensity to make sure I pressure them when they do get close.

Transition TIs have been sorely missed and I honestly don't see how someone can think they aren't anything new.

9 minutes ago, luka_ said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So many of these videos now, the game is obviously ready. Release the BETA, we are ready!

Well, if I've understood it correctly, they are playing an Alpha-version, not a Beta. So the Beta will be released whenever Miles is happy with it, and Friday at latest (though I would wager they would postpone it should they find horrible horrible bugs in it...).

9 minutes ago, XaW said:

Well, if I've understood it correctly, they are playing an Alpha-version, not a Beta. So the Beta will be released whenever Miles is happy with it, and Friday at latest (though I would wager they would postpone it should they find horrible horrible bugs in it...).

It's not an alpha version, a true alpha is pre-feature complete & to varying levels of frequency would crash on a consistent basis. SI calling what we've seen so far an alpha build does annoy me a bit.

1 minute ago, Barside said:

It's not an alpha versions, a true alpha is pre-feature complete & to varying levels of frequency will crash on a consistent basis. SI calling what we've seen so far an alpha build does annoy me a bit .

Well, you could call it a Beta-version I guess, but I doubt it's the same Beta version they will release some time between now and Friday.

Will look foward to the first post form someone about how the Beta looks the same as the Alpha & that SI should have spent their time developing & testing more rather than wasting it pandering to a small group of content creators.

IMO should have called it what it is, an early Beta build.

11 minutes ago, Barside said:

It's not an alpha version, a true alpha is pre-feature complete & to varying levels of frequency would crash on a consistent basis. SI calling what we've seen so far an alpha build does annoy me a bit.

Think miles said in the lollujo video said they've changed how they've dealt with crashes instead of leaving to the end they've been fixing it as they find it so it's been more stable earlier than usual.

29 minutes ago, andu1 said:

If it's good enough to be played by some streamers than it's good enough for the rest of us. Probably it's SI policy of doing some fan service.

Getting Twitch streamers & YouTube channel creators involved ranks up there as one of SI's best decisions.

27 minutes ago, Spedding said:

Think miles said in the lollujo video said they've changed how they've dealt with crashes instead of leaving to the end they've been fixing it as they find it so it's been more stable earlier than usual.

Miles really said that?

On 27/09/2018 at 19:27, Alekos said:

Wait a sec guys..Why do I think that all those features were already in previous games but not in this detail level?Only if those three phases let you change positions and not only width pressing etc would be an overhaul..

For example.. With the new tactics shall I be able to to play a 4-4-2 while attacking and while defending 4-1-4-1 or not? Could someone let us know?

So what is called an overhaul it was the same in previous versions by just adding each player instructions...It reminds me the last year's Hierarchy which was already in game but they made a menu for it so nothing new...

Hope I am mistaken...

There was no option to control pressing line of engagement and pressing intensity separately. It was either press more or less. There was no way to distinguish between attacking and defensive width. There was no counter-press. No way to set counter attacking transitions on all mentalities, only on defensive, counter, or overload. There are loads of things that weren't previously included.

On 27/09/2018 at 23:39, Rashidi said:

What I did find very strange was the tactic page. There we have a counter/attacking fluid 532 played with a deep engagement line and a deep defensive line where the players are told to counter press? Seems like a conflict in instructions to achieve the counter press. So there are going to be chances for people to mess this up..

I don't see how this is counter intuitive at all. It's actually exactly how I want my teams to play but never had the options available to get it perfect.

It's a defensive strategy that aims to soak up pressure and stay compact in defense. But when they lose the ball they press vigorously for a few seconds to try to win it back. If they don't immediately win the ball back then they retreat back to their defensive shape and wait for another opportunity.

It's perfectly logical and a very standard strategy.

From what I have seen they are templates to achieve the certain style of play they provide but also influences what training sessions the assistant manager will set up for you. Depending on the style you will train different things. Of course, both the style (i.e. team instruction) and training for the style can be edited by the manager.

21 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

I don't see how this is counter intuitive at all. It's actually exactly how I want my teams to play but never had the options available to get it perfect.

It's a defensive strategy that aims to soak up pressure and stay compact in defense. But when they lose the ball they press vigorously for a few seconds to try to win it back. If they don't immediately win the ball back then they retreat back to their defensive shape and wait for another opportunity.

It's perfectly logical and a very standard strategy.

You're making assumptions on how you think it might play out and how counter press has been implemented.

The 2 choices on "when ball is lost" are counter press or regroup , I would have thought high pressing and the low D / low engagement line coupled with regroup would work better.

Edit - what will the team do when neither regroup or counter press is selected ? If the team will just retreat back to their shape then what's the point of the regroup option.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

On 28/09/2018 at 07:32, noikeee said:

(though we would lose a little functionality... for example what if I *do* want a modifier to keep everyone closer together than usual, to for example play a possession game with all the lines close together to facilitate shorter passing

Then you choose roles that keep your players closer together. 

1 hour ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

You're making assumptions on how you think it might play out and how counter press has been implemented.

The 2 choices on "when ball is lost" are counter press or regroup , I would have thought high pressing and the low D / low engagement line coupled with regroup would work better.

Edit - what will the team do when neither regroup or counter press is selected ? If the team will just retreat back to their shape then what's the point of the regroup option.

Surely selecting neither is the equivalent of a mixed option, where players will decide what option they feel is best at the time.

4 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Have noticed with the Gegenpress, the default 4231 has a Carrilero. However all of FM18 the experts have been saying a Carrilero should only be used when not playing any wingers. Any thoughts on this at all?

AI managers are not good at role selection?