Football Manager 2019 Feature Blogs: Revamped Tactics Module

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Barside said:

WibWoble is back :D

Nope, from what I see in the screens you set your formation once and that's it, those two formations are just for a visual indication of which players are gonna press or not, or what happens in transition.

And I'm glad wibble-wobble isn't back (if I'm understanding this correctly!), this is much more sophisticated and simple.

These changes look great, it's exactly what we've needed for a long time IMO, they even got rid of team shape, yes! :D Can't wait to get FM19 now.

3 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Nope, from what I see in the screens you set your formation once and that's it, those two formations are just for a visual indication of which players are gonna press or not, or what happens in transition.

And I'm glad wibble-wobble isn't back (if I'm understanding this correctly!), this is much more sophisticated and simple.

These changes look great, it's exactly what we've needed for a long time IMO, they even got rid of team shape, yes! :D Can't wait to get FM19 now.

I don`t think they got rid of the team shape. In the 6th picture you can see at the bottom TEAM FLUIDITY: FLUID. Isn`t that team shape?

Edited by zigaliro

I'm really liking this! Transitional instructions are more than welcome, and something I've missed in FM so far! Going to be fun to experiment and try to see if I can really replicate Klopp now!

7 minutes ago, kandersson said:

Some very good ideas and new features that look excellent on paper, not thrilled to see that team fluidity/team shape thing still in the game though.

Agreed. If they removed team shape it would have been perfect.

• Administrators

Looks so much nicer now splitting out the team instructions into logical areas. With the styles too this should really help with building tactics generally.

I do have concerns with how the AI managers will cope & if we will end up simply looking to beat the tactical mind of someone at SI who created links for the AI to use when trying to create a cohesive & workable tactical gameplan. Fingers are firmly crossed that my skeptical thinking is unfounded.

18 minutes ago, zigaliro said:

I don`t think they got rid of the team shape. In the 6th picture you can see at the bottom TEAM FLUIDITY: FLUID. Isn`t that team shape?

Damnit, you're right. I don't see where's the button for setting it though... bit weird they'd put it separate somewhere else. 

I like that option to define changing the tactis automatic in different situations, that being said it would be awesome to be able to also do that for different match situations like defining in the tactics screen if that result, being behind being aheaf etc. gets you automatic to that tactic etc would be awesome. Ohn and everytime i see the new game i think it loks so bland and unintersting until i relize we are just spoiled by all the custom badges, backgrounds and skins that will coem for this game too :-)

Just now, GerdMuller said:

I like that option to define changing the tactis automatic in different situations, that being said it would be awesome to be able to also do that for different match situations like defining in the tactics screen if that result, being behind being aheaf etc. gets you automatic to that tactic etc would be awesome. Ohn and everytime i see the new game i think it loks so bland and unintersting until i relize we are just spoiled by all the custom badges, backgrounds and skins that will coem for this game too :-)

Isn't this available as match plans?

At first when I saw that In Possession/Out of Possession/In Transition screen, I was very worried that WIB-WOB was coming back. But no, having read through it all, I can understand what it all means now.

Everything looks a bit clearer (from tactical styles to mentalities and instructions), and though I suspect the new screens will take a while to get used to, there's plenty of reason to be encouraged. :thup:

I see the Defensive Forward role was renamed to Pressing Forward. Well, it's more descriptive, I presume.

Looking forward to these changes. I've had the feeling during the last entries that your tactic couldn't adapt to the different phases of possession. Like they always played the same way.

Edited by llDracoll

15 minutes ago, kandersson said:

Might be just a matter of semantics but can anyone suggest me a real life example of vertical tiki-taka? It sounds like it could be my go-to style btw...

Real Madrid? They play fantastic passing football but are more direct than the likes of Barcelona.

..talking about player roles names...i am so split right now if i should play it in German or English , if the Meistertrainer Forums are involved it surely will be a great localization, but somehow the roles will look strange still and all in all it just isnt FM somehow if it isnt english ;-) Maybe i play with the language i am just playing the league of, my Italian never was better than basic anyway :-)

Gerade eben schrieb chokes:

Real Madrid? They play fantastic passing football but are more direct than the likes of Barcelona.

I thought the Real Madrid tactic always was inspired by : keep it as far apart and as fsat as possible away from our defending players. :-D Was more true in the past until Iker Casillas becoming a great keeper after being horrible in his teens. :-D

25 minutes ago, kandersson said:

Might be just a matter of semantics but can anyone suggest me a real life example of vertical tiki-taka? It sounds like it could be my go-to style btw...

Be interesting to see what the detailed instructions are, but chatting to someone else we think it's Sarri-ball.

1 minute ago, Alex Hall said:

Glad to see this is largely going down well, guys, keep the first impressions coming.

Addressing the Team Fluidity/Shape issue, yes it is still present in-game but is now altered indirectly by other factors rather than being a direct choice the manager makes themselves. If instructions you give your team and players give your team a fluid style, you'll be told, likewise if your instructions combine to form a structured shape, that will be represented too.

Hope that clarifies things!

Always wondered how you would keep shape, while making it less abstract at the same time. Kudos

3 minutes ago, Alex Hall said:

Glad to see this is largely going down well, guys, keep the first impressions coming.

Addressing the Team Fluidity/Shape issue, yes it is still present in-game but is now altered indirectly by other factors rather than being a direct choice the manager makes themselves. If instructions you give your team and players give your team a fluid style, you'll be told, likewise if your instructions combine to form a structured shape, that will be represented too.

That's an excellent change. :thup:

Interest is slowly building for this release & a possible return to regular FM'ing

I thought "vertical tiki-taka" was Barça under Guardiola (keep the ball but attack) and "tiki-taka" Spain under del Bosque WC2010 (keep the ball forever to be sure not concede any, and hope a goal eventually happens somehow and you win 1-0).

• Administrators
Just now, Barside said:

Interest is slowly building for this release & a possible return to regular FM'ing

Yes, looks like it could be that way for me as well potentially, will give full FM a go this year.

39 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Damnit, you're right. I don't see where's the button for setting it though... bit weird they'd put it separate somewhere else. 

I think (alex confirmed whilst I was writing this post!) the idea is fluidity is set by default with the new 'tactical system', which is probably an improvement as it's never been a very intuitive function. Hopefully the work done on this and especially on a transitions phase means that tweaking fluidity (often in a counter-intuitive  manner) is also less important for things like compact defensive shapes or high presses.

Overall sounds like a positive set of changes delivering what a lot of the game's tactics-focused critics have asked for. And my expectation for the inevitable unintended ME imbalance is that it'll reward counter pressing in transition very highly (which should please a lot of people, especially those sick of seeing AI mourinho overachieve and AI guardiola underachieve)

Edited by enigmatic

Just now, noikeee said:

I thought "vertical tiki-taka" was Barça under Guardiola (keep the ball but attack) and "tiki-taka" Spain under del Bosque WC2010 (keep the ball forever to be sure not concede any, and hope a goal eventually happens somehow and you win 1-0).

Barca didn't seek to move it vertically quickly.

I think we'd have to see what the suggested details instructions our though to be sure on SArri

Are the new roles any different to the current roles (outside of adding an attack duty to defensive forwards?)

Otherwise I'm pretty optimistic about the tactics changes, the 'create a style' section looks great for those who find tactics too complex, and the transitions bit seems to fix some of the legacy issues around trying to get your team to behave the way you want to in different sections of play.

4 minutes ago, noikeee said:

No Barca under guardiola is pure Control with slow tempo, keep the ball and make an opening.

13 minutes ago, Alex Hall said:

Interesting, I guess it's definitely better this way, but if this is how it works, I wonder if showing team shape at all is worth it, can't it become a bit confusing for the user?

I mean I guess it's probably a result of line engagement, defensive line etc, and I wonder if this might result in things like, people setting a deep line engagement and a slightly higher defensive line, to simulate a very rigid, defensive, compact playing style, and the game telling them their team is "fluid".

Also I'm a bit worried, if that's a sign that how line engagement works under the hood is to just set mentalities according to how team shape worked in the past. Because if that's how it works, won't it ultimately have repercussions when in possession, when the TI is meant to only affect out of possession settings? But I'll wait a bit to see how it plays out in game.

Edited by noikeee

11 minutes ago, Alex Hall said:

Makes sense to me. It can sometimes be too easy to make contradictory tactics (say, defensive with a lot of Attack roles, or Fluid with a defensive setup).

13 minutes ago, Alex Hall said:

Step in right direction for me. 

Now I've looked at it all in a little bit more detail, I think I am actually quite disappointed. 

These changes really seem to just be UI and UX changes to the interface, very little actual change or thinking into how tactics work or what you do. I was hoping for more change.

These 'style' changes are really just moving around functionality that already exists, making it a touch clearer what settings are doing. Fine, thats a positive change, but it feels like its the only change that tends to happen from year to year. We are still mainly working with the same sliders under the hood, they are just glossed up with new definitions and moved about. Just feels like a nod to get new players in more than anything, which is understandable, especially when so many people find the current system confusing. I guess I was hoping for something more... innovative.

8 minutes ago, johnnyyakuza78 said:

Now I've looked at it all in a little bit more detail, I think I am actually quite disappointed. 

These changes really seem to just be UI and UX changes to the interface, very little actual change or thinking into how tactics work or what you do. I was hoping for more change.

These 'style' changes are really just moving around functionality that already exists, making it a touch clearer what settings are doing. Fine, thats a positive change, but it feels like its the only change that tends to happen from year to year. We are still mainly working with the same sliders under the hood, they are just glossed up with new definitions and moved about. Just feels like a nod to get new players in more than anything, which is understandable, especially when so many people find the current system confusing. I guess I was hoping for something more... innovative.

Well you just decreased my hype.