Football Manager 2019 Feature Blogs: Training Overhaul

On 27/09/2018 at 13:46, Neil Brock said:

For example, instead of giving your players a general defensive session you may want to choose a session such as Aerial Defence which can be a good area to focus on if your upcoming opponent likes to launch long balls into the box. When you select a session you’re also given an overview of the impact of each session on your squad in terms of their attributes, sharpness, injury risk and overall condition.

Looks really good, and although I don't usually spend that much time with training (probably because my saves don't last too long) it is good to have a feel that you can do "more."

The above statement is a bit puzzling. We used to have these focuses pre-match that would give a boost in a certain area. But the normal training would just show after several months in the way of attribute changes. I assume (and correct me if I am wrong) that when you select Aerial Defence, it won't have an immediate impact on the next game but over time the players "aerial defence" attributes would increase?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The training overhaul for me is the most important feature in FM19. I'm wondering tho, does this affect the upper limit of player potential?

I know it might seem like a ridiculous question, but I feel that players should be able to exceed their potential if the training is done to a high enough standard.

Honestly, potential should be a lot more dynamic, but that might be an entirely new feature on its own.

Never forget that Ronaldo and Quaresma supposedly had the same potential at some point but work ethic, the standard of training and level of team play created a chasm between them.

If I start training a 16-year-old with a current ability of 105 potential of 135 at a club with 'state of the art training facilities' and I play this kid week in week out at the highest level, that player should exceed that his potential considerably at age 28. 

Traits like Flair, quickness obviously might not vary largely if the player doesn't have that innate ability/pace, but composure, stamina, decision making, passing, crossing etc should let said player exceed this potential cap greatly.

• SI Staff
28 minutes ago, ii_play said:

The training overhaul for me is the most important feature in FM19. I'm wondering tho, does this affect the upper limit of player potential?

I know it might seem like a ridiculous question, but I feel that players should be able to exceed their potential if the training is done to a high enough standard.

Honestly, potential should be a lot more dynamic, but that might be an entirely new feature on its own.

Never forget that Ronaldo and Quaresma supposedly had the same potential at some point but work ethic, the standard of training and level of team play created a chasm between them.

If I start training a 16-year-old with a current ability of 105 potential of 135 at a club with 'state of the art training facilities' and I play this kid week in week out at the highest level, that player should exceed that his potential considerably at age 28. 

Traits like Flair, quickness obviously might not vary largely if the player doesn't have that innate ability/pace, but composure, stamina, decision making, passing, crossing etc should let said player exceed this potential cap greatly.

Ronaldo and Quaresma did not have the same potential, they were perceived to have the same potential. They might well have the same potential, but one of them fulfilled it and one did not. The difference today between the two is their current ability, not potential, which as you suggest may have been achieved through work ethic etc.

Potential ability is your genetic maximum, that's not variable. How likely you are to reach that, or how close you get, is of course completely changeable and influenced by everything along the way, training, coaches, luck, etc.

17 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Ronaldo and Quaresma did not have the same potential, they were perceived to have the same potential. They might well have the same potential, but one of them fulfilled it and one did not. The difference today between the two is their current ability, not potential, which as you suggest may have been achieved through work ethic etc.

Potential ability is your genetic maximum, that's not variable. How likely you are to reach that, or how close you get, is of course completely changeable and influenced by everything along the way, training, coaches, luck, etc.

Yeah, this makes sense. Particularly when I consider the fact that potential typically isn't a visible stat. 

I'm quite satisfied and will be looking forward to the beta release. 

3 hours ago, tyro said:

Looks really good, and although I don't usually spend that much time with training (probably because my saves don't last too long) it is good to have a feel that you can do "more."

The above statement is a bit puzzling. We used to have these focuses pre-match that would give a boost in a certain area. But the normal training would just show after several months in the way of attribute changes. I assume (and correct me if I am wrong) that when you select Aerial Defence, it won't have an immediate impact on the next game but over time the players "aerial defence" attributes would increase?

in the past it was different

now it's snowflake v sjw, I hope creativeness has a higher value than it used to have.

6 hours ago, tyro said:

I assume (and correct me if I am wrong) that when you select Aerial Defence, it won't have an immediate impact on the next game but over time the players "aerial defence" attributes would increase?

I've been asking this as well. Still waiting for some exact clarity here.

• SI Staff
22 hours ago, Weston said:

I've been asking this as well. Still waiting for some exact clarity here.

Training sessions affect attributes, but not just attributes. More info will be released on Training in the coming days and weeks.

@Seb Wassell  I was wondering if, with the new training module revamp, I have two specific questions.

A) Now, when a player is said to be under some "bad influence" from someone in the team, will it tell us the name of the player that is influencing him or is it still guess work?

B) Can we finally be able to fine players who train badly, just like with the bad performances or red cards, we have four options: do nothing, formal warning, 1 week fine, 2 weeks fine?

Tks

On 27/09/2018 at 08:46, Neil Brock said:

More recently, we’ve expanded the studio’s knowledge through a series of internal ‘FootTalks’, where people working within football, including managers (both club and international),

Then National Teams will have a training menu too?

4.png

Your squad now trains in units that are determined by playing position. Clicking on the Units tab not only shows you your team’s current units, but also allows you to drag and drop players between units. You can ask any of your players to train in a new position and role from this screen and bring reserve or youth team players into first-team training by using the dropdown menu in the top-right corner of the screen.

The positional group are only GKs, Defensive/Offensive positions? 

Couldn't the groups be customized? Kinda the coach created customized groups to apply certain practices

5.png

Players can’t train all the time though or they won’t have any energy left for playing matches – so you’ll also need to use the rest tab. Here you can automatically set training intensity and rest periods based on player condition. You can do this for the whole team using the dropdown menus for each condition level at the top of the screen or set it for individuals on the main panel in the centre of the screen. Included on this screen are recommendations from your physio as to which players should be training at certain intensities and your upcoming fixtures so you can account for when you might want your squad rest and when you might want them up their training intensity.

The game is getting more complex and we are starting "losing" time in some screens like to make rest, manually, some players. That will be a time saver and can be useful when a player comes from National Team matches.

On 27/09/2018 at 11:04, Seb Wassell said:

Yes.

Good to know :)

On 27/09/2018 at 11:55, akm.91 said:

Has International Management training finally been dealt with? Been the same for years. Going through tournaments with most of your squad at 50% fitness is silly. 

I would like to know too. Anyway, have a look and give an upvote, because if this isn't in game (what would be sad), must be in the next one.

On 27/09/2018 at 11:52, kingking said:

Does Training Rating affect Match Performance?

Good question

On 27/09/2018 at 15:10, ForzaCarpi said:

I see in the video coloured dots in the gym, in the medical center, in the pitch during training day and so on....but are we really see this????

I would like to know too. I hope to see someday this:

On 28/09/2018 at 04:10, phnompenhandy said:

My point is, it's not been effective for years. I manage part-time teams who can close down and press all match all year. Shouldn't be possible.

I am worried how to handle the pressure thing with all those changes now.

On 28/09/2018 at 05:47, grade said:

My first reaction to the first screenshoot, was a feast of colour. WOW... that is a lot of stuff in there. But the others screenshoots, that this could be quite nice. Probably another mini game, but I will give benefit of the doubt with this.

Also it is nice to see SI has come full circle with their training, going back to the idea of CM4 training schedule. Sure in FM19 will be a lot more complexed, but the idea is the same.

Midfielders.gif

I remember this. It was the first thing came to my mind when SI told about the training revamp. 

On 30/09/2018 at 06:49, RBKalle said:

For a game that claims NOT wanting to be like FIFA Manager, sure SI've been introducing some of their ideas.

I had to laugh LOL because it's what really is happening. At least IMO they are getting the good ideas with an improvement.

Were you talked about the number of session diary for FM19? Because I know some teams (at least amateurs) which practiced in 3 sessions a day. Generally yes a club work two sessions but the 3rd slot sometimes filled by some video analysis (of the team, opposite one) or light training.  

On 01/10/2018 at 14:54, dieguitoch said:

I'm very pleased that the training module has been reworked because, for me, it was probably the weakest part of the game but I still have some interrogations about it:

- In the FM show, they say that there will be a weekly report on our players training performances but will our assistants tell us if our players gave their best (motivation, determination) or did they perform well ? Sometimes you give all you have but still perform like crap ! Will we have informations on the commitment of our players and/or on their forms ?

- Will there be a relation between training and matchday, especially concerning form ? We should be able to know which player performs well during the week, who is "on fire" and who is full of doubts ! We should have an indication on who's going to perform well on matchday. In relation to my first interrogation, I would like to be able to pick a young player in my first team because he worked hard to encourage him but I also would like to pick him simply because he's in great form and outperformed his older teamate during the week !

Really hope that these little things could be in the game...

Good questions. I was doing to myself both them. 

=============================================================

I loved the new training system and we were needing a revamp in this area. But including me there are 3 people asking if will have a training menu for national teams, cause it should be. 

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:23, masno said:

I really wonder how this training will help in the tactic and how will work in the ME.

Find interesting that maybe my worst enemy will be defeated: Attacking impatient by my guys in possession tactics. I've seen that there is one "attacking patient" on those pics, and if this works,I will love it. Hate to see a lovely passing and possession in front of the opposition box being interrupted by a long kick when I have work ball in the box and retain possession ticked. Let's see how it works.

As always checking a few ticks in a box, won't necessarily make your players play the way you want. The only way that will happen is if you have chosen the right players for the right role and you have chosen the right combination of duties to achieve what you are after. Then and only then, will those TI's help you get the best out of players. No amount of TI/PI combination can ever fix a bad set up,

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

As always checking a few ticks in a box, won't necessarily make your players play the way you want. The only way that will happen is if you have chosen the right players for the right role and you have chosen the right combination of duties to achieve what you are after. Then and only then, will those TI's help you get the best out of players. No amount of TI/PI combination can ever fix a bad set up,

My fear is that people are going to get too lazy with the presets in tactics and assume they're auto wins. They are not. 

6 horas atrás, Rashidi disse:

Wow, you mods really like to say that people don't know anything about the game, it is quite boring even giving feedback because "it is your tactics that is not right/your problem, you don't know to deal with it".

What I said is, I go with a system that the objective is "grab the ball,recycle possession,and when they open space, go for it", but, if they don't find this space, they tend to go on a long shot and losing possession, even having a low mentality, roles,PPM and TI to go for this behaviour, but even with everyone in the right setup, one or other decide that is better to give the worst long shot in the game instead of just turn around,and pass the ball. "Without the ball,the opponent can't score,so don't give him this precious chance".

This don't happen so often in the ME, players tend to go "always forward", but that is not what I always want, so yeah, I really hope that the training I was talking about can give the players at least some patient while attacking, but I definitely don't expect to end all long shots, so don't say like I said that :)

14 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

My fear is that people are going to get too lazy with the presets in tactics and assume they're auto wins. They are not. 

I'm pretty sure that Gegenpressing would be go-to tactic for 90% of players. I can almost see the "I chosed gegenpress but my team still loses!!1" steamreview.

@Seb Wassell we still haven't received a definitive answer one crucial part of training and football management. In the training reports will be told if a player has had a bad training session or isn\t training well and if so, will this have an effect on match day. As we all know players that perform badly in training are less likely to have a good match. 

How a player performs in training influences his game time, his development and overall his career. I would love if you can clarify what exactly does training reports do and how they affect us on match day. 

At this very moment i rotate my squad for rotation purposes. I know at this very moment that wether or not my players have a great training session or bad one they will score a hattrick on match day. This does sometime happen in IRL but it isn't realistic and it provides us with an added depth and realism provide some headaches as well. Do you play your striker that isn't training well but has better attributes than your bench striker who is training well. Just  imagine having to make that choice. . 

5 hours ago, Amarante said:

@Seb Wassell we still haven't received a definitive answer one crucial part of training and football management. In the training reports will be told if a player has had a bad training session or isn\t training well and if so, will this have an effect on match day. As we all know players that perform badly in training are less likely to have a good match. 

How a player performs in training influences his game time, his development and overall his career. I would love if you can clarify what exactly does training reports do and how they affect us on match day. 

At this very moment i rotate my squad for rotation purposes. I know at this very moment that wether or not my players have a great training session or bad one they will score a hattrick on match day. This does sometime happen in IRL but it isn't realistic and it provides us with an added depth and realism provide some headaches as well. Do you play your striker that isn't training well but has better attributes than your bench striker who is training well. Just  imagine having to make that choice. . 

This is an interesting point because I also rotate heavily (which doesn't seem to be accurately reflected in the impact on fitness, injuries, pressing, etc. in the game as it does in real life, but that's a separate issue) and depending on how exactly these training reports affect form, etc., it may definitely become a factor to consider when selecting the players to rotate on a particular gameday. Typically the training feedback has only been an overview on whether or not attributes increased or decreased without any indication of actual immediate consequences one way or another and has been pretty vague either way.

• SI Staff
17 minutes ago, craiigman said:

With the new mentoring thing taking over tutoring, is the only way to train PPM's via individual training?

Player Traits (PPMs) are part of Mentoring.

14 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Having watched the stream training still looks complicated af and there is still going to be a huge mental barrier for me towards doing it myself. 

I love it:hammer: So excited 

Some people hate depth and complexity.. but I thrive and enjoy it.

I love the fact that the whole training system is more in depth and complex

it makes the game more interesting, more fun, theres more to do, less boring, more challenging etc

there is a great balance of depth and complexity, it isn't boring/tedious.

All you need to do is to take some more time to learn about the new system.

Edited by kingking

Based on some small observations on the live stream, a couple players that had put in great training reports had perform great in the match even tho their ability was lower than establish first-teamers. Could this mean that training reports have an effect on match day performance? Not sure but i think its something we can test, 

• SI Staff

Delighted you enjoyed the stream. I had hoped to be on it but unfortunately was unable.

Training could look complex or overwhelming at first, but once you have familiarised yourself with it I assure you that it is straight forward. The best piece of advice I can give is try and get inside the head of a real manager and how they would approach training. Like any new system, you have to learn how it works, but it's worth it.

If it still isn't for you then the Assistant is fully qualified to take over. Of course running training yourself allows you more control over the development and style of your team, but it is still possible to have an impact with the Assistant in charge: you are able to tweak his plans ahead of time to suit your needs.

• SI Staff

Training Rating does not directly impact match performance, a 10 does not equal a 10 in the upcoming match, but there are certainly correlations.

The things that result in a player training well are also some of the things that contribute towards a good match performance.

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

Training Rating does not directly impact match performance, a 10 does not equal a 10 in the upcoming match, but there are certainly correlations.

The things that result in a player training well are also some of the things that contribute towards a good match performance.

That was all i needed to know. We know that a 10 in training doesn't mean a 10 on match day but the training rating has some bearings on how they perform. This help s with the immersion as it allows us to rotate not just for rotation sake but players who are performing well in training can get a chance and hopefully perform well in matches. 

2 hours ago, chocolatecoatedballs said:

Concerning the positional training groups (GK, Defensive, Attacking) are these preset, or can be changed?

You can drag and drop players into those groups as you see fit. Want your centre backs in the attacking unit to practice set pieces for a couple of sessions? From what I gather you can just do that.

18 horas atrás, DavyDepuydt1 disse:

Does the AI also use the performance of their players in training? Or is it only some extra information that is offered to the player

Good question!

1 hora atrás, hursty2 disse:

You can drag and drop players into those groups as you see fit. Want your centre backs in the attacking unit to practice set pieces for a couple of sessions? From what I gather you can just do that.

Nice way of using it. I still think It could be customized but I liked your idea too. 

Does "training happiness" affect development? I.e. can a player be training more, not getting injured, but be unhappy with training and therefore develop less than if he were training less but happy?

Also does 'training rating' affect development or is it more linked to form/performance?

Edited by pauly15

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, pauly15 said:

Does "training happiness" affect development? I.e. can a player be training more, not getting injured, but be unhappy with training and therefore develop less than if he were training less but happy?

Also does 'training rating' affect development or is it more linked to form/performance?

Training Rating does not affect development itself, but it is made up of several things that go into development, so it can be used as a partial indicator.

After the age of 18, playing time at an appropriate level is the most important factor.

Morale is a small part of a large whole that makes up development, yes. Comparing training poorly but happy vs. training well but unhappy directly is too simplistic, there are too many other factors.

7 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Training Rating does not affect development itself, but it is made up of several things that go into development, so it can be used as a partial indicator.

After the age of 18, playing time at an appropriate level is the most important factor.

Morale is a small part of a large whole that makes up development, yes. Comparing training poorly but happy vs. training well but unhappy directly is too simplistic, there are too many other factors.

Thanks Seb. Purely regarding development: could you clarify whether being "unhappy with training load" is something we should seek to remove or whether we can ignore it and reap the benefits of them doing extra training at the cost of morale? Or is the difference negligible when you factor in playing time?

On 27/09/2018 at 14:05, Dorin said:

Finally!! This is what I've been waiting for all these years... glad it is finally happening and I can see that you were taking some of the feature requests in consideration since some of the ideas have been passed around for a while :) Well done, can't wait for the release!

Finally all we need next is (3D mini training matches to replace or be as well as ‘match tactics’ training. Where you can watch your tactics for the next game. Perhaps first team versus reserves, for like 20’min matches. Or something along the lines

• SI Staff
19 minutes ago, pauly15 said:

Thanks Seb. Purely regarding development: could you clarify whether being "unhappy with training load" is something we should seek to remove or whether we can ignore it and reap the benefits of them doing extra training at the cost of morale? Or is the difference negligible when you factor in playing time?

That would depend on the player and circumstances really. It could go either way.

2 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

That would depend on the player and circumstances really. It could go either way.

Thanks, do you know of anywhere I can get further clarification on the development effects of 'unhappy with training'?

1 minute ago, pauly15 said:

Thanks, do you know of anywhere I can get further clarification on the development effects of 'unhappy with training'?

By seeing how your players develop :brock:.

I know that's a bit of a cop out answer, but this is a training revamp with lots of new features.  There's no one size fits all and similar issues will affect different players in different ways.  Is "unhappy with training" a good thing?  I doubt it, but as seb says above, it depends on the player and circumstance.

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

By seeing how your players develop :brock:.

I know that's a bit of a cop out answer, but this is a training revamp with lots of new features.  There's no one size fits all and similar issues will affect different players in different ways.  Is "unhappy with training" a good thing?  I doubt it, but as seb says above, it depends on the player and circumstance.

Thanks. I guess it'd be testable by replaying a month or two and giving the player the same playing time but adjusting training happiness. I guess his performance in matches might affect it but err... yeah

• SI Staff
5 minutes ago, pauly15 said:

Thanks. I guess it'd be testable by replaying a month or two and giving the player the same playing time but adjusting training happiness. I guess his performance in matches might affect it but err... yeah

There's also some luck involved, so you may get differing results there.

I think with this game for all features you need to look at how it would be in reality. I mean, Miles was asked on the stream or on youtube if there would ever be a time when managers could spend money to buy things. He said no because if they were to do it, we would go and pay for groceries and pay bills, etc. things that we do in reality as people.

So, if you look at it that way, if someone doesn't train well, they are probably not gonna develop that well even being happy. But maybe it is not as bad as training bad and being unhappy. Maybe he still plays really well in each match and just doesn't need to train that much to be good. I think this is what Seb means by it depends on the player.

How would one train in the scenario where 90% of the year you are expected to dominate, but in europe you want to use a different tactic because you are always by far the underdog.

Realistic example:

Let's say you are a top team in your own league (like Anderlecht or Brugge in Belgium) 
In your home competition you are using a tactic where you want to play dominant football, but when you come to europe you will probably be outplayed by most opponents.

How would you tackle this? I don't think IRL those teams train an entire season on a secundary tactic to use in those 4 difficult champions league game.

How would you do this in game:

• Just select that secundary tactic before the european games and play it with no familiarity?
  • Can you have it sitting as a secundary tactic and don't pay much attention to it, but in the buildup week to the european game have your team training on it?

25 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

How would one train in the scenario where 90% of the year you are expected to dominate, but in europe you want to use a different tactic because you are always by far the underdog.

Realistic example:

Let's say you are a top team in your own league (like Anderlecht or Brugge in Belgium) 
In your home competition you are using a tactic where you want to play dominant football, but when you come to europe you will probably be outplayed by most opponents.

How would you tackle this? I don't think IRL those teams train an entire season on a secundary tactic to use in those 4 difficult champions league game.

• Just select that secundary tactic before the european games and play it with no familiarity?
  • Can you have it sitting as a secundary tactic and don't pay much attention to it, but in the buildup week to the european game have your team training on it?

Yes they do. At this moment Chelsea is doing double sessions to get Sarris tactics. When Conte came in season 1 we were training 4231 and 343. Everything is done in training before its done on the pitch. 

In the training section you can train by individual tactics.  So  you would your two tactics being trained in your schedule obviously one would getting priority as one is main and one is secondary. 

1 hour ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

I don't think any team can learn a tactic in a week. This is why you see some teams struggling at first with a new manager and need time to adjust to the new ideas to get to grips with the tactics. So you would need to train that second tactic.

2 hours ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

Realistic example:

Those teams would have the exact same problem IRL. IMO teams would spend multiple sessions in the lead up to the game trying to figure out a way to beat them, tailoring those sessions to the game plan for the day. They probably will struggle but they will do anything they can to nullify the opposition and if they do it would be hailed a masterclass.

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, yngsarge said:

Hey Seb….just noticed you are the Leeds Utd researcher! Do the Leeds younger players...Clarke, Shackleton, Pearce, Edmondson,  have a better potential rating this year?

You'll have to wait and see ;)