Football Manager 2019 Feature Blogs: New Style

Also, there are still innumerable style errors. Things like "long term plans" and "Below Average training facilities" (first should be hyphenated, the second should prompt an in-depth editorial conversation); or "full-back" and "centre-back" (neither should be hyphenated according to any style or dictionary I can think of); or hyphens treated as dashes; or wildly inconsistent capitalization. SI seem to ignore every major style guide for title case, but they also treat similar items differently, often on the same screen! (For example, it's "Distribute over Opposition Defence" but "Pass Into Space".)

I get that 95% of people or more don't care about or notice these things, but it looks and feels slapdash to writers and editors. Never mind that the game's longer writing is littered with comma splices, redundant modifiers (which is a fairly, very, rather British quirk, I admit), etc. This stuff would be so easy to fix! As it is, I wonder if there's even an agreed internal style guide.

Another thing I've noticed is when the game incorporates something like Raumdeuter, it retains the capitalization that is a feature of German but not of English. Compare with other loanwords like blitzkrieg, realpolitik or ersatz, which appropriately lose their capitals when used as common nouns in English.

Edited by Double Indemnity

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Past meetings … missing on the tactics screen yet again …. Also no shot of schedule screen so not sure if they have been put back on there for all teams . On the tactics screen below on FM18 I had to reinstall it1701498556_2018-10-02(2)_LI.thumb.jpg.38ae0ae7ee16832d20b6d442f8eb357a.jpg2018-10-02_LI.thumb.jpg.a09bc79066b9259b6cc5b9b92f1b6299.jpg myself

Edited by prot651

Sorry I didn't get a chance to read everything in this thread - so this may have been asked / answered before - but will there be a default option to ditch that purple (without having to download custom skins) ? Thanks.

Edited by Jebedaias

2 hours ago, Jebedaias said:

Sorry I didn't get a chance to read everything in this thread - so this may have been asked / answered before - but will there be a default option to ditch that purple (without having to download custom skins) ? Thanks.

The OP writes about "brand colours", which seems to be the purple colour, so I'm sure it'll feature on the official skins in some capacity.

Am 27.9.2018 um 21:03 schrieb Firehouse:

I expected the more ''digital'' look when the new logo came. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed as it looks like it was made in 2005.

And skinners. I don't know, I haven't seen nice looking skin since the days of FM15 I'd say. Just changing panels and moving thing around.

That actually is wrong, FM looked awesome in 2005 , the purple ,team coulour, green barf actually looks a lot mor ethan 2001 or straight out of Amiga or C64.

On 27/09/2018 at 13:43, Neil Brock said:

6.png

You guys really want me to play Leverkusen? :) All Watford and Wimbledon screenshots and then a full tactics screenshot of Bayer Leverkusen, so I can already mentally prepare.

Although, I would argue that the formation shown is not the 4-1-4-1 DM Wide. Probably renamed to throw the opposition off.

On 27/09/2018 at 14:43, Neil Brock said:

2.png

Its a shame that the large club logo appears to have been removed from this screen. At first I though a panel was missing because of the small resolution of the screen, but the information that has been accompanying the big logo is there (country, year of foundation, professional status etc.).

I have also wondered for a few game versions why the logo in the title bar is so tiny. A slightly bigger size would not take up much more space if it was positioned for example on the left side of the horizontal arrows in the title bar, and spanned the title bar and the menu below it (Profile, General, News and other buttons) in height.

Edited by duccio

1 hour ago, tyro said:

You guys really want me to play Leverkusen? :) All Watford and Wimbledon screenshots and then a full tactics screenshot of Bayer Leverkusen, so I can already mentally prepare.

Although, I would argue that the formation shown is not the 4-1-4-1 DM Wide. Probably renamed to throw the opposition off.

Maybe this is SI's way of saying Leverkusen are going to be over powered just like Watford are on all my saves......

9 hours ago, jamessmith010101 said:

why dont you all just wait and play the game before ripping the new ui to shreds..... just an idea 

Because we have thousands of hours of experience playing Football Manager, and many of us work in creative fields, are actual UI/UX designers, etc.?

11 hours ago, Double Indemnity said:

Because we have thousands of hours of experience playing Football Manager, and many of us work in creative fields, are actual UI/UX designers, etc.?

ive been playing since i was 16 on the amiga so i have put in many hours myself buying every copy since the beginning. not sure what working in a field or playing the game has got to do with criticising something before its even come out but there you go 

I actually quite like the purple. Be interested to see how Fiorentina look with it.

It’s better than last year with the gradient where some teams colours meant couldn’t read the text.

But the purple on red screen shot doesn’t look too good. Be good to have an option to either include club colours or not as frankly some colours just look bad together with Purple.

The new font on the video when it was in Watford looked a bit strange though. Like it was too bold for the size of the text. Hope that can be cleaned up a little.

14 hours ago, Double Indemnity said:

Been playing since 1999 and never been in a 'creative' field in my working career.

On 27/09/2018 at 08:51, Mtsc2 said:

FM18 but with more purple!

+1

On 02/10/2018 at 08:49, prot651 said:

Past meetings … missing on the tactics screen yet again …. Also no shot of schedule screen so not sure if they have been put back on there for all teams . On the tactics screen below on FM18 I had to reinstall it1701498556_2018-10-02(2)_LI.thumb.jpg.38ae0ae7ee16832d20b6d442f8eb357a.jpg2018-10-02_LI.thumb.jpg.a09bc79066b9259b6cc5b9b92f1b6299.jpg myself

OMG I hope they didn't retire it for final release

6 hours ago, tiago_wakabayashi said:

+1

OMG I hope they didn't retire it for final release

Well I did bring it up in FM18 bugs various times but again seems no one took any notice . I mean is it just me or would you like to know how other teams are performing against other teams

1 hour ago, kpsia518 said:

100% true,but this is Alpha version.That means any bug or error may change or fix.

If the avatar was like your avatar image, I wouldn't mind at all, but not this. I hope we can change that.

Also it was said the same thing when manager Avatar was introduced and remain the same when the game was released. I hope I'm wrong.

2 horas atrás, luka_ disse:

They should have put some stylish photo and the screen would look elegant. With this ****** avatar it looks incredibly trashy.

Exactly this! A proper football photo would look so much better!

Really don't care for intro screens. Or style for that matter. If anything, it bugs me that the game has declined in its perceived usability - the main thing that springs to mind is the two extra clicks in accessing the vertical version of the tactics screen.

With the amount of hours I sink into every version, I will quickly adapt. 

8 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

OMG, i really hope that this is fake.

It's probably the ugliest intro screen from all the SI series....

7 hours ago, grade said:

If that's true... I don't mind the menu on the left side, but the Avatar continues to be ugly and ruins the screen.

7 hours ago, luka_ said:

They should have put some stylish photo and the screen would look elegant. With this ****** avatar it looks incredibly trashy.

Seriously though, how often/long are you going to be looking at it? 

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

That’s not the point though is it? If they’re going to put something into the game then wouldn’t you prefer they do it right and do a quality job? It’s onviously subjective but I think most would agree that image looks a little amateurish 

1 hour ago, Boss said:

That’s not the point though is it? If they’re going to put something into the game then wouldn’t you prefer they do it right and do a quality job? It’s onviously subjective but I think most would agree that image looks a little amateurish 

They could put a picture of a dancing panda on that screen and it wouldn't matter one iota. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Boss said:

I think it looks immersive, personally, for about 2 seconds when I'll click "Load Last Game".

Really bizarre to get hung up on it :D 

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

I think it looks immersive, personally, for about 2 seconds when I'll click "Load Last Game".

Really bizarre to get hung up on it :D 

I was thinking the exact same things :lol:

People refusing to buy the game because they dont like purple in the UI or the start screen

12 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

How often? Everytime i load up the game :)

Is it the most important thing in the game? Of course not. But, it's the first screenn you get when you load the game, so it's like the "presentation card" of the game. 

2 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

People refusing to buy the game because they dont like purple in the UI or the start screen

Yep it's a deal breaker for me. 

I'll be forced to close my eyes and click randomly hoping that I hit "Load Last Game"

6 minutes ago, bennytee said:

Yep it's a deal breaker for me. 

I'll be forced to close my eyes and click randomly hoping that I hit "Load Last Game"

How will you survive the first few moments until you change the skin?

2 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

No one is refusing to buy the game because of this? As I said, it obviously isn't a game-breaker. In my opinion, if I was adding something to the game, no matter how big or small that is, I would want it to look decent and obviously to work. This will do a job, but i don't really think it looks the part befitting a game of FM's stature in 2018.

14 minutes ago, grade said:

How will you survive the first few moments until you change the skin?

It'll be a struggle for sure

On a serious note though, I don't see any problem with the skin at all, we'll all get used to it.  The pedant in me agrees with @Double Indemnity though, with regards to style errors, which is an irritation even though my own use of the English language is terrible

It's far more important that tactics, training and the ME work as they should than the skin style IMO. I can edit a few bits and pieces myself at this point. The rest I can live with or I can get used to. The meat and bones of the game though is the tactics, training and ME.

The alignment on the start screen is giving me a headache! It's a perfect example of trying to retrofit some branding into the UI without any user benefit, except that it's far from looking polished. It's true this screen is less important than the training, tactics, player overview screens etc. where UX crimes are being committed but please go back to basics before trying to crowbar a layer of branding into the UI. The execution is a nightmare.

I am looking twitch and purple still bad choice imho.

Also too much colours in general, this is like rainbow and nightmare for epileptics (PS4 warning players in situations with a much smaller palette)

Edited by Novem9

There is a light and dark skin though. They showed the light but not the dark skin.

The purple grows on you, but i will still be using the dark skin.

Also showed you can move the sections in the left menu to how you want it, and you can right click them and go to any screen in that menu. They show it off better on stream than i describe it tbh,

There are a lot of small changes that are great tbh.  Player rating changing color (green for playing well, red for poor) for example. Nice for quick at a glance info.

Edited by Siven

Great to hear that we can choose to receive scouting reports in the inbox rather than scouting centre and scouting meetings screen. The new design really ruined scouting for me in FM 18 so I'm glad we have that option back. I'll just quote my own comment from last year :D