Football Manager 2019 Feature Blogs: New Style

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

For me that's a much better way of displaying data in a UI. 

Fair point, I'd go as far to say that its not very accessible with navigation elements being in multiple places as people who need to use Magnifier or other zooming software its not good for them. 

On the flipside, the current design declutters the top area of the screen which became bloated with UI elements with things so crammed together.

But it works for FM currently, the current design, it's a matter of taste. I don't think its particularly bad, because it is challenging to create something perfect thats very information heavy.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

With a navigation down the side on the left it purports to bad UI layout for users. Even websites with a sub menu will appear on the Right Hand side of the screen as 3 lines, this is on your phone/tablet too. Nobody puts navigation down the left hand side. And if they do they are nuts. 

Do you not use a tablet? Lots of apps use a left hand side navigation menu because its important to display textual labels with icons. 

Also, worth noting a *lot* of management games out there take their design cues from FM. So they are probably doing something right.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Fair point, I'd go as far to say that its not very accessible with navigation elements being in multiple places as people who need to use Magnifier or other zooming software its not good for them. 

On the flipside, the current design declutters the top area of the screen which became bloated with UI elements with things so crammed together.

But it works for FM currently, the current design, it's a matter of taste. I don't think its particularly bad, because it is challenging to create something perfect thats very information heavy.

I'm probably the only person that looks at the UI in a negative way. I don't like at all. Never got used to it, find it clunky and unusable. 

I think I reported before that it took 4 clicks to get screens where in previous versions it took 2.

I'd have to examine it again to double check all this, but I'm pretty sure that this was the case. And UI that asks a user to perform more clicks than before isn't a good thing.

Not getting the hate for the choice of purple as the background colour, unless SI have ballsed up by using a lot of red or black text & what text is there has the correct bold contrast it's a good choice of colour as I find is far less straining on my eyes as the text stands out while not being overly focused.

The more I look at those screenshots the better it gets. Really liking it so far!

Since a lot of the UI is a specific shade of purple maybe it will be possible to chose the color ourself? Might be a feature not shown yet. Just pick a color from a palette instead of being forced to the clubs colors as in current game. That way everyone is happy.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Do you not use a tablet? Lots of apps use a left hand side navigation menu because its important to display textual labels with icons. 

Also, worth noting a *lot* of management games out there take their design cues from FM. So they are probably doing something right.

I do use a tablet, never see a menu down the left for navigation, except for Sky/Virgin.

I might be nit-picking a bit, but it's what I do, I can't help it being a designer and seeing UI flaws each year. It grates me. 

I would say a lot of people play on a laptop so making a UI that works for people with a lesser perecentage playing on a handheld tablet or phone is designing for the few and not designing for the many.

1 minute ago, Barside said:

Not getting the hate for the choice of purple as the background colour, unless SI have ballsed up by using a lot of red or black text & what text is there has the correct bold contrast it's a good choice of colour as I find is far less straining on my eyes as the text stands out while not being overly focused.

I don't mind the colour scheme. Better than the previous version in fairness, where it took the colour scheme from the clubs colours and attempted to temporarily blind you.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I would say a lot of people play on a laptop so making a UI that works for people with a lesser perecentage playing on a handheld tablet or phone is designing for the few and not designing for the many.

Most laptops for Windows are Touch Screen now, and they flip so you can hold them in tablet mode, etc. 

A lot of those are in the budget range as well, where a lot of FM players can be found if the min specs are anything to go by.

So I don't think thats catering to a lesser percentage at all. Quite the opposite.

Its fine i guess.

Though not a fan of the purple, hope thats easy to change.

I prefer the softer, understated colors for many hours of gametime, the purple just seem so in your face harsh. 

Edited by Siven

@Lucas Thanks for the convo - it's great to get some feedback and an alternate perspective. 

I know the SI team do a great job, and the UI isn't easy for any platform. The UI guys are better than I am at it. But I just wanted to say that I think it could be a lot better. And typically I analyse everything with a designers eye, and typically with everything I design I know I can do it better. So I know the UI guys can do it better. 

I'll try to be more constructive with the posts in the future, thanks for the heads up, it's better than pissing and moaning. Once I get my hands on the Demo I'll give an assessment on where things could be improved, in my opinion. 

I know they do a great job and I wasn't trying to insult the UI team, so apologies if it came across that way. The forum is fast and furious at the moment, so thoughts from brain to screen aren't translating as hoped.

Most laptops for Windows are Touch Screen now, and they flip so you can hold them in tablet mode, etc. 

A lot of those are in the budget range as well, where a lot of FM players can be found if the min specs are anything to go by.

So I don't think thats catering to a lesser percentage at all. Quite the opposite.

For the last 3 years I've been posting on the new laptop forum here on this forum, and any touchscreen 2-1 flippable laptop for FM is way way overpriced. Most people from my experience don't have a budget for such things. Generally I find people asking for about 300-600 - which gets you a decent HQ or H processor, and mostly without a graphics card. And anyone that has 600 typically only goes to about 750 max. Anyone that has more typically goes to 1000, but spending a 1000 is mad as you can get a laptop for 800. 

2-1 touchsreen typically are about 1500+ for specs good enough for FM. This leads to a very few people with a budget over 1000. And anyone that has that kind of budget is better off getting a very high end laptop rather than a laptop half the specs for a touchscreen just isn't worth the money.

I wouldn't be sure how many people use touchscreen for FM. Can SI track that?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Smurf said:

For the last 3 years I've been posting on the new laptop forum here on this forum, and any touchscreen 2-1 flippable laptop for FM is way way overpriced. Most people from my experience don't have a budget for such things. Generally I find people asking for about 300-600 - which gets you a decent HQ or H processor, and mostly without a graphics card. And anyone that has 600 typically only goes to about 750 max. Anyone that has more typically goes to 1000, but spending a 1000 is mad as you can get a laptop for 800. 

2-1 touchsreen typically are about 1500+ for specs good enough for FM. This leads to a very few people with a budget over 1000. And anyone that has that kind of budget is better off getting a very high end laptop rather than a laptop half the specs for a touchscreen just isn't worth the money.

I wouldn't be sure how many people use touchscreen for FM. Can SI track that?

Not sure, but they are tracking hardware and general usage trends all the time. I've seen flippable laptops in the 500 range that would play FM, again near the borderline of spec but they are out there on deals.

It's great to provide critical feedback, I just know they are very critical about their own work too and always looking to improve things. :thup:

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Such wasted screen real estate. 

Training screen - why is Excellent Training Facilities at the top - there's an acre of space on the Other Tactics area.

Could even put in Board Request button if the facilites can be upgraded. 

Sadly - the UI is as disappointing as ever.

This is the least important facet to me as imaginative skinners will quickly produce far more attractive versions.

Not sure, but they are tracking hardware and general usage trends all the time. I've seen flippable laptops in the 500 range that would play FM, again near the borderline of spec but they are out there on deals.

It's great to provide critical feedback, I just know they are very critical about their own work too and always looking to improve things. :thup:

I play on a very borderline laptop that cost £250 3 years ago with a touchscreen... it runs and I have fun. (I’m aware that it is below spec and may not deal well with long games but still, I’m sure I’m far from the only one given the amount of people that only play fm) 

I realise they are critical, as is every designer, myself included. I just want it better. Felt FM12 was streaks ahead and then I opened FM13 to pure hell (for me).

I don't know if I ever saw a 2-1 laptop for 500 quid.

In fairness this would play FM but it wouldn't be great and struggle on 3D matches unless on low detail

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GR7EK.005-Acer-Spin-5-SP513-52N-53HQ_2321763.html

But this is better value 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.003-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-57YT_2156569.html

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

This is the least important facet to me as imaginative skinners will quickly produce far more attractive versions.

My point exactly - straightaway people will make better skins. Makes me wonder why SI don't look at the best skins out there and emulate/purchase/hire them.

2 minutes ago, GuitarMan said:

I play on a very borderline laptop that cost £250 3 years ago with a touchscreen... it runs and I have fun. (I’m aware that it is below spec and may not deal well with long games but still, I’m sure I’m far from the only one given the amount of people that only play fm) 

Fair enough.

37 minutes ago, Lucas said:

So apps for devices that needs big clunky buttons, for touch stuff, uses it. Got it.

FM is one of, if not the biggest management game. So no surprise a lot look the way of FM for a template to design things around. Doesn't change that I feel like it gets worse almost every year UI wise. Really it has very little relevance for me.

Edited by Calculating Infinity

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Makes me wonder why SI don't look at the best skins out there and emulate/purchase/hire them.

Pretty much where they got their artists from, tbf.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb (sic):

I really don't have a problem with purple color, in fact I think it's way better than previous versions.
Although I'm still not sure about overall design.

I know overall design cant be the same with all the new features but why cant it ooks less cluttered and now purple puke..just a littlelike this, its so clean and smooth and nice on the eyes and as is said eveytime i loaded up FM it was i could feel the smell of the grass. :-D Today it looks a bit like superfreaky , absolute mega space adventure with all the cluttered boxes features and  unmatching colours.  Look at the pic and relax. :-D

Z7J2myc.png

• Administrators
Just now, Neil Brock said:

Never used breadcrumbs ever. :D 

Don't think I did much either, but it takes me back :D Can't even remember when they were got rid of.

Use them on the forum though :D 

I have no idea what i did wrong whatsoever its probably an internets thingie :-D Just saying CM back in the day was a great game but i didnt like the colour scheme and the new ones look more and more like that i cant explain really  i just like dthat look back then all newer ones just dont make me feel so involved and in the game and relaxed like this did. Everything just ws at its peak for me soemhow in games, from there i wanted more of it and more and more and features and stuff, but if i look back i see this and it feels homely and just like its supposed to be somehow. All new FM lokk like a bomb hit in comparison. And dont quote nostalgia only, its not a nostalgia game for me nostalgia is the "Anstoss" Series from 98 or something..ohh it had background music which i dont need, but press conferences that felt fun and important . :-D

Edited by GerdMuller

2 hours ago, luka_ said:

The menu list on the left with tactics,training,dynamics etc. should be in the colour of the team. Like Watfrod's should be yellow, Chelsea's should be blue etc..

Yeah, I have noticed that as well. Actually, it was a nice design choice that has been used for years. And, it always makes me feel more 'in the game' due to seeing the colors of the team I love (manage).

Apologies if it has been said, but I'm pretty sure you've showed screens in low resolution, which is nice to show those who play in them how it looks; but I believe you should have added big resolution screenshots to see the space is well used in bigger resolutions.

4 minutes ago, Death Ball said:

Apologies if it has been said, but I'm pretty sure you've showed screens in low resolution, which is nice to show those who play in them how it looks; but I believe you should have added big resolution screenshots to see the space is well used in bigger resolutions.

The first screens are in lowest res every year.

I don't mind the purple. If you do, I'd imagine there will be skins that will enable you to have whatever you like. One set of low res screenshots does not a compete game reveal make.

Since we've got a nice UI discussion going on I'd love to know if the Scouting inbox report has been adjusted. I don't understand why the boxes move based on the type of report you're getting. Not sure if I am describing it well, but if I am trying to go through the reports quickly and hit "Acknowledge" every time -- the box moves based on whether it is a Player, Agent, Chief Scout, etc. Sometimes where you are clicking on Acknowledge on one report, on the next the Acknowledge box has moved over to the right (because, let's say, there's no "Get Analyst Report" option and everything is centered) and I end up hitting Discard. The boxes shouldn't move: they should be fixed in a certain order... in my non-UI-educated mind. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

This is what a developers tool box looks like. And it's exactly what FM looks like. It's not a good interface for users not used to such an interface. 

This type of interface interfers with the width of the screen, eating up real estate for other important information. 

This is what FM used to look like - a lot more streamlined with buttons across the top of the screen, giving more real estate to news items, and other information.

356958171_DanielLau(News_Inbox)-4.thumb.png.e9cf919f724250a6f44eee356b87eacf.png

For me that's a much better way of displaying data in a UI

The game still displays that data under the header, it's the menubar icons (that aren't shown in your screenshot - they were on the same line as the Back, Forward buttons) that have been moved into the sidebar and I seem to remember one of the reasons why they were moved is because there just wasn't room for them all to be displayed and as they were icons only it wasn't very user friendly for newcomers who wouldn't know what the icons did.

I also think the new UI came about after they did hire some UI experts and found that the old systems were fine for experienced players who knew what was where but left new users confused.

And if you want more screen space you can collapse the menubar down to its icons only version from the preferences menu so it takes up next to no room.

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

@Lucas Look at any user interface you open up, your browser, etc. there's no such interface on the planet, MS Word etc. that put the navigation tools down the side. 

The only ones that do this are design programmes, like Indesign, Quark, Photoshop, etc. But they are more tools rather than UI navigations. 

All UI Navigations typically go at the top of a screen for a reason, as it's the best place and the eye naturally goes to the top of a page, or a screen, to gather navigational cues. 

With a navigation down the side on the left it purports to bad UI layout for users. Even websites with a sub menu will appear on the Right Hand side of the screen as 3 lines, this is on your phone/tablet too. Nobody puts navigation down the left hand side. And if they do they are nuts. 

Loads of programs use a left sided menu like FM - Pretty much all of Microsoft's Windows 10 Apps do, (as does the Windows 10 Settings App), Spotify, itunes, Steam, Origin, and pretty much every other launcher for games.

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Never used breadcrumbs ever. :D 

I did and I still mourn their lost and the loss of the news ticker :(

2 hours ago, GerdMuller said:

I know overall design cant be the same with all the new features but why cant it ooks less cluttered and now purple puke..just a littlelike this, its so clean and smooth and nice on the eyes and as is said eveytime i loaded up FM it was i could feel the smell of the grass. :-D Today it looks a bit like superfreaky , absolute mega space adventure with all the cluttered boxes features and  unmatching colours.  Look at the pic and relax. :-D

Z7J2myc.png

I love this layout! I allways try to find a smilliar skin!

Loving the new tactics (or what seems to be new) and pre-season tactical scheduling.

Very purple though... suppose i'll get used to it.   When i watched the FM videos last year? maybe one before, it seemed very green but it grew on me.  I think its a nice start to things myself

EDIT: I just hope to god text/font in our inbox and elsewhere in the game is of a sufficient colour to be read and understood amongst the purple.  Dark red, black etc on the purple would be disastrous.  Has to be white IMO on news inbox especially

Edited by ChelseaSince86

Couple of observations:

1) It feels like the UI is being developed with other platforms in mind, such as tablets and the Switch. In fact, the screenshots this year look like they've come from FM Touch itself. I'm puzzled by the move away from softer grey and silver colour schemes to a garish pallet of blues, purples, reds and yellows. Feels a bit too 'Fortnite' for my taste.

2) I can't believe nobody has questioned the nature of the most critical aspect of the UI (which is alarming due to its absence) - the MATCHDAY user interface. Do we still have to endure the sideways tactical pitch view? What about the incredulity associated with having to make 4 clicks to access screens that used to require 1 or 2? Are my team's basic match stats still hidden away under layers of counter-intuitive screens? etc etc etc..

21 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

2) I can't believe nobody has questioned the nature of the most critical aspect of the UI (which is alarming due to its absence) - the MATCHDAY user interface. Do we still have to endure the sideways tactical pitch view? What about the incredulity associated with having to make 4 clicks to access screens that used to require 1 or 2? Are my team's basic match stats still hidden away under layers of counter-intuitive screens? etc etc etc...

Truth be told, that's one of the main reasons why I'm still holding off on pre-ordering, despite being largely impressed by what I've seen so far.

I would rather not go through a proverbial labyrinth just to view my players' match statistics, like on FM18. One reason for encouragement, though, is that there seems to be a 'Stats' menu on this screenshot below. I don't believe that was there on FM18.

2.png.666aaa3b97080b2be90865b0e86a543c.p

Edited by CFuller

21 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Truth be told, that's one of the main reasons why I'm still holding off on pre-ordering, despite being largely impressed by what I've seen so far.

I would rather not go through a proverbial labyrinth just to view my players' match statistics, like on FM18. One reason for encouragement, though, is that there seems to be a 'Stats' menu on this screenshot below. I don't believe that was there on FM18.

2.png.666aaa3b97080b2be90865b0e86a543c.p

Good spot, but where is the tactics button and information about your current shape and mentality? 

Edited by rdbayly

I expected the more ''digital'' look when the new logo came. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed as it looks like it was made in 2005.

And skinners. I don't know, I haven't seen nice looking skin since the days of FM15 I'd say. Just changing panels and moving thing around.