What is Japanese B NT doing in Copa America?

I don't generally pay attention to other continents' cups and competitions but suddenly I stumbles upon the table showing Japan B team is playing Copa America! Why? I dont think I have ever seen this happen irl so is there any logic behind this in game? And also sometimes I see some B teams are playing, why? Is there anything irl like B team playing in actual famous competitions?

Campeonato Sudamericano Copa America_ Overview Profile.png

Japan B_ Schedule B Team.png

Japan B_ National Teams B Team.png

Japan did participate in copa america, can't remember the year but i know it was in the previous decade

B teams participate there because i think there is another competition where the A team is playing, afaik mexico played last official copa america (not centenario) with mostly under 23 so maybe thats why the B play it

3 minutes ago, WorcesterLegend said:

Japan did participate in copa america, can't remember the year but i know it was in the previous decade

B teams participate there because i think there is another competition where the A team is playing, afaik mexico played last official copa america (not centenario) with mostly under 23 so maybe thats why the B play it

ok then in game what is the actual copa america centenario? I mean i didnt understand most of your words, is there any other competitions like this? is Centenario different? What is the actual Copa America in here?

Sourav_  Inbox-6.png

4 minutes ago, WorcesterLegend said:

Yeah, the North American sides used to participate in the traditional Copa America I believe to make up the extra numbers.  This was usually played a few weeks before the Gold Cup, and they wouldn't send A-squads to both of those.  Expect in real life it wouldn't be so stark as to send the "B Squad", but in FM it obviously is.

Japan have been involved before, and pretty sure I've seen them enter in FM before.  Again, B squad is likely sent because...well I doubt they care too much about it.  I doubt it's due to scheduling, the Asian Cup is played in January in the same 4-yearly cycle CA is.

hace 34 minutos, Sourav B dijo:

ok then in game what is the actual copa america centenario? I mean i didnt understand most of your words, is there any other competitions like this? is Centenario different? What is the actual Copa America in here?

Sourav_  Inbox-6.png

Centenario was an special copa america played in The USA for the 100 years of the copa america, it was played out of the 4 years cycle, if you see the last winners tab you can see that chile won it twice one year after another

2 minutes ago, Sourav B said:

Sourav_  Inbox-6.png

Centenario was the one-off 100 year celebration tournament.  The Copa America is usually played every 4 years, the year after a World Cup (2007/2011/2015 etc).  To celebrate 100 years of CONMEBOL (South American Federation) they held an off-calendar tournament in the United States 2 years ago with the 16 teams rather than the usual 12.

From the looks of wiki, that was a one-off, and they'll go back to occurring every 4 years, starting next summer.  12 teams once again as well.

4 minutes ago, Sourav B said:

ok then in game what is the actual copa america centenario?

He's talking about the 100 year anniversary Copa America that happened in 2016. It was an extra tournament (still official though) where Mexico participated.

CONMEBOL invites teams to play the CA. Probably there's a list of countries that FM randomly picks from. In 2019, the invited teams are Japan and Qatar.

B teams are sent to the tournament because the A team have other games scheduled. 

hace 33 minutos, Nacaw dijo:

He's talking about the 100 year anniversary Copa America that happened in 2016. It was an extra tournament (still official though) where Mexico participated.

CONMEBOL invites teams to play the CA. Probably there's a list of countries that FM randomly picks from. In 2019, the invited teams are Japan and Qatar.

B teams are sent to the tournament because the A team have other games scheduled. 

And most of them are high profile north american teams, and japan...qatar is participating for the first time...i guess to try themselves against teams from south america before the world cup?...i guess they will eat up 15+ goals if they and up in a tough group

Archived