South America (FM18)

User0912

I had a successful save with River Plate, if you're going for Argentina I can link a kinda crash course in Argentine football which made me be interested in the league. As for players, unless you're a real minnow you should look out for Venezuelan GK Wulker Farinez who starts the game playing for Millionaros in Colombia. He usually ends up the starter for one of the big three in Portugal on my saves, until you get a world class newgen if you don't have a top gk he'd be one to look at.

If your computer can handle it, I'd advise loading all the divisions in the nation you start in, all the top divisions in SA to get an active transfer market in SA, then also add a few of the top European leagues. I only did the former, not the latter, and it made the transfer market far too easy to dominate - in five seasons I barely got any bids for any of my players from the European teams even when they were starters for Argentina and Brazil.

Love a good South American save. Agree with zlatnera if you don't add Europe it can get a bit boring as no Europeans teams really bid for your players which is the total opposite if you do add them.

If you the latter be prepared to invest in youth and be prepared to lose your star players if they show any kind of form. Especially in Argentina or Brazil.

If going to Brazil I'd recommend Flamengo, Good mix of experience and youth players who with the right guidance (something Flamengo as stated prior have a good mix of players to help with) can become World Class

On 19/09/2018 at 23:45, zlatanera said:

I had a successful save with River Plate, if you're going for Argentina I can link a kinda crash course in Argentine football which made me be interested in the league. As for players, unless you're a real minnow you should look out for Venezuelan GK Wulker Farinez who starts the game playing for Millionaros in Colombia. He usually ends up the starter for one of the big three in Portugal on my saves, until you get a world class newgen if you don't have a top gk he'd be one to look at.

If your computer can handle it, I'd advise loading all the divisions in the nation you start in, all the top divisions in SA to get an active transfer market in SA, then also add a few of the top European leagues. I only did the former, not the latter, and it made the transfer market far too easy to dominate - in five seasons I barely got any bids for any of my players from the European teams even when they were starters for Argentina and Brazil.

Hi Zlatanera

Yeh I would be grateful for a crash course in Argentina, I did have a few saves on a competitor for Fm, had some good games there.

On 20/09/2018 at 14:44, lblanc said:

Love a good South American save. Agree with zlatnera if you don't add Europe it can get a bit boring as no Europeans teams really bid for your players which is the total opposite if you do add them.

If you the latter be prepared to invest in youth and be prepared to lose your star players if they show any kind of form. Especially in Argentina or Brazil.

If going to Brazil I'd recommend Flamengo, Good mix of experience and youth players who with the right guidance (something Flamengo as stated prior have a good mix of players to help with) can become World Class

oK thanks, I might start 2 games, 1 in Brazil with Flamengo and 1 in Argentina.

26 minutes ago, User0912 said:

Hi Zlatanera

Yeh I would be grateful for a crash course in Argentina, I did have a few saves on a competitor for Fm, had some good games there.

Argentina: The Football Manager 2018 Survival Guide by FMGrasshopper is really good in terms of outlining the few basics that might seem weird if you only manage in Europe. I just find the rest of the blog entertaining to read as well. 

21 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Argentina: The Football Manager 2018 Survival Guide by FMGrasshopper is really good in terms of outlining the few basics that might seem weird if you only manage in Europe. I just find the rest of the blog entertaining to read as well. 

Thanks.

From past experience I found it hard managing in Argentina due to the restrictions eg a limit on non Argentinian players in your squad.

@User0912 the limit doesn't seem that bad once you realise you only need two years for residency. I basically went for the (realistic) youth development approach with River Plate and signed 18 year olds, sticking them in the reserves for two years or loaning out if they were too good for the reserves but couldn't play for me.

Worked great, just a shame I hadn't loaded European leagues so barely lost any players, meaning I had around 180 players on my books by the time I got bored - really can't urge enough that if you have the computing power, you need to load the top 5 just to get some buyers. 

2 hours ago, zlatanera said:

@User0912 the limit doesn't seem that bad once you realise you only need two years for residency. I basically went for the (realistic) youth development approach with River Plate and signed 18 year olds, sticking them in the reserves for two years or loaning out if they were too good for the reserves but couldn't play for me.

Worked great, just a shame I hadn't loaded European leagues so barely lost any players, meaning I had around 180 players on my books by the time I got bored - really can't urge enough that if you have the computing power, you need to load the top 5 just to get some buyers. 

I might start a save with River too, they were the team I went with back in the day.

So top 5 leagues so England, Spain, Italy, Germany and maybe France ?

17 minutes ago, User0912 said:

I might start a save with River too, they were the team I went with back in the day.

So top 5 leagues so England, Spain, Italy, Germany and maybe France ?

Yeah, France or Portugal - the former is officially No. 5 but also has a 4 non-EU player limit whereas Portugal has no limit and Portuguese clubs buy from South America more than French (or English, or German) clubs. 

16 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Yeah, France or Portugal - the former is officially No. 5 but also has a 4 non-EU player limit whereas Portugal has no limit and Portuguese clubs buy from South America more than French (or English, or German) clubs. 

Thanks

Did you sign young players to then sell on after say a year so you could get some money ?

19 minutes ago, User0912 said:

Thanks

Did you sign young players to then sell on after say a year so you could get some money ?

Not initially, I always intend to have a player on the books at least three years so I get some use. But lack of competition for transfers meant that I had a Juventus-style loan army who I was trying (and mostly failing) to get rid of each year - my only buyers seemed to be Chinese clubs.

I would say it's a good strategy though, especially if you can get them in cheap from Colombia, Chile and Uruguay and then loan them out to a fellow top division club, ideally for two years so they get Argentine nationality, then you can either sell them or use them in your first team squad. You can often get small loan fees (£20-40k per month) that add up with volume. 

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

Not initially, I always intend to have a player on the books at least three years so I get some use. But lack of competition for transfers meant that I had a Juventus-style loan army who I was trying (and mostly failing) to get rid of each year - my only buyers seemed to be Chinese clubs.

I would say it's a good strategy though, especially if you can get them in cheap from Colombia, Chile and Uruguay and then loan them out to a fellow top division club, ideally for two years so they get Argentine nationality, then you can either sell them or use them in your first team squad. You can often get small loan fees (£20-40k per month) that add up with volume. 

Thanks, signed a bunch of 18 year old youth players and Ill plan to loan them out once they have played a few matches so can see if they are worth sending out or not.

Or a Chelsea like system where they sign a lot of youth players who always spend time on loan at clubs.

Anything in particular I should look for in terms of stats for youth players ?

21 minutes ago, User0912 said:

Thanks, signed a bunch of 18 year old youth players and Ill plan to loan them out once they have played a few matches so can see if they are worth sending out or not.

Or a Chelsea like system where they sign a lot of youth players who always spend time on loan at clubs.

Anything in particular I should look for in terms of stats for youth players ?

I ignore stats and look at attributes, unless someone's hit ridiculous numbers. I signed one guy, Nicolas De La Cruz, aged 26 on a free just because he kept being the top scorer in the league but that's a rarity and was mostly done just to stop him beating Rodrygo again. 

And attributes-wise it really depends on the style of play you're looking for. I tend to shy away from low natural fitness though as it can't be altered much, especially given the amount of games you'll play in a couple of the early seasons. 

Who are you managing?

5 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I ignore stats and look at attributes, unless someone's hit ridiculous numbers. I signed one guy, Nicolas De La Cruz, aged 26 on a free just because he kept being the top scorer in the league but that's a rarity and was mostly done just to stop him beating Rodrygo again. 

And attributes-wise it really depends on the style of play you're looking for. I tend to shy away from low natural fitness though as it can't be altered much, especially given the amount of games you'll play in a couple of the early seasons. 

Who are you managing?

Ive started with River and Ive also got Nicolas De La Cruz in my team but I didnt buy him as he was already in my team.

Ive gone with a 4 3 1 2 formation with de la cruz in the AMC role.

Because I started the game at the earliest date I didn't have many games to play until the 2nd leg in the Copa Libertadores.

23 minutes ago, User0912 said:

Ive started with River and Ive also got Nicolas De La Cruz in my team but I didnt buy him as he was already in my team.

Ive gone with a 4 3 1 2 formation with de la cruz in the AMC role.

Because I started the game at the earliest date I didn't have many games to play until the 2nd leg in the Copa Libertadores.

My bad, I meant Nicolas Fernandez from Defensa y Justicia.

Sticking to RIver's history from what I know. I used a strikerless formation that basically looked like a 4312 when you checked out average positions.

Ah yeah, that's one of the issues with the Superliga running differently to pretty much every competition in South America. I think I started in summer, and just assumed (rightly) that we'd make it through our group.

Archived