Achievements - Specific teams related - A MUST BE!

godzilu

Hey guys

I also play Europa Universalis 4, a game which has, beside general achievements, tons of country specific achievements. I'd love to have this kind of Steam achievements in FM too, it will give more incentives to play beside enjoying this amazing game I play now for 20 years maybe? Achievements could be tied only to clubs with a good period sometimes in the history of football, not necessary champions. Milan, Barca, Real, Juve, Parma, Everton, Nottingham Forest, Deportivo, etc., etc., clubs that had some great periods in their life.

Examples: Win the title with Everton. Mega party and event in FM news, club finally retains the title after 10000 years.

Nottingham Forest - Enjoy PL supremacy for 5 consecutive years while winning at least 1 CL.

Relegate with FC Barcelona :D 

Etc.

Ehh... this is a tricky one. On the one hand, I can understand why those achievements would be in games like Codemasters' F1 series, which has some achievements that can only be completed with Red Bull, Williams, etc. Of course, one could argue that team rivalries in F1 aren't as fierce as they are in football.

On the other side of the coin, what if you were an achievement hunter with a fierce disliking of a certain team? Why would a Derby or Notts County fan feel comfortable winning the Champions League with Nottm Forest for the sake of a Steam achievement? And why would there be an 'English supremacy' achievement for Nottingham Forest, but not Derby? Would a little box on your Steam profile make it more 'special' to win back-to-back Serie A scudetti with AC Milan as opposed to Inter?

It just feels a bit... arbitrary to me.

Hm, the downside can be mitigated with grouping teams.

a. Win this with Real, Barcelona, Mu or Juventus.

b. Do this with one of a group of sleeping giants, like Liverpool, who hasn't won the PL for many years, or Milan.

c. Then a group with teams that won titles a very very long time ago, like Everton.

d. A group of teams that were very good at some point in the last 20 years, like Parma, Deportivo, Betis.

e. Many other types of groups, teams that rolled high 40 years ago, etc. You can group teams by period, by when they last won a title or cup, etc.

Etc. This way you won't be forced to play your nemesis and make it win titles. But I will pair these kind of achievements with in game news and party news. Supporters dancing on the streets in total jubilation for Liverpool winning the titles after 20 years, newspapers going wild for Everton winning the title after 230 years, Parma supporters delirious for getting a title, etc. A small chain of ingame events that show how great is for the players and fans and media. The game lacks a bit in this regard, you get the title with Everton after a life time yet things are not bookmarked properly by the game mechanics.

The thing is that after many years of FM ( I have maybe 20 years? Since CM? Hell knows ), these extra achievements would spice up the things a big. And they won't hurt for new players either. You want to have an achievement as Liverpool taking the title after 1989 or when they did it last.

LAST EDIT :D Also, it will give an extra small boost to players to buy the game, since achievements are tied to Steam.

Had to edit again :P A must be, teams that won international titles when football was less money dependent. Steaua Bucharest and Crvena Zvezda Belgrad or what's the name in Europe, etc., I don't know much about Americas, Africa and Asia..

Everton's last league title was in 1987, only three years before Liverpool's last, so you're perhaps exaggerating a little bit there. :D

I agree that more could be done to make delivering success to underachieving teams feel even more momentous. I'm just not sure adding Steam achievements related to specific teams is the answer. It's still worth discussing at the very least, mind.

• 3 months later...

Archived