Player Promises that don't work.

I have apparently made a promise to one of my star players to "Strenghten the defense".
So i signed a world class defender to the club but the promise is still listed as "unfulfilled"
(I play in swedish so i'm translating in case you are wondering).

Do i need to do something else or is this just a bug?

I had a similar problem promising David DeGea I would develop young players. I did, but the unfulfilled promise meant he wouldn’t sign a new contract. 

I avoid promises now, apart from a wage rise for an incoming player, or contracts when necessary. It’s an aspect of the game that seems undercooked - But then most of the interaction seems to be a cause of dissatisfaction to judge by other threads.

Absolutely a bug. I've had this same thing happen many times, not once have I EVER fulfilled this promise no matter who I sign. The most recent example, and the one that made me swear to never promise anything again (because it ruined an otherwise great save), was when I won the league with Dortmund and then sold P.E.A due to him wanting to leave. So I had a bunch of players complaining, I promised I would strengthen the attack, and signed Divock Origi, Lorenzo Insigne, and I think Diafra Sakho was the 3rd player. 

All players who I made the promise to remained on "hopes his manager remembers to strengthen the attack..." until the window closed and they all fell out with me and utterly destroyed morale. I quit and deleted the save. 

The bug here is two-fold. Firstly, P.E.A wanted to leave, but I had no option to tell the players that. And since the promises are broken and they never recognise the fact you have strengthened the attack, it's stupid and game ruining. 

That P.E.A scenario is a perfect example of where SI have got the module totally wrong.

IRL Dortmund are a club that sell their best players to reinvest in the future, they always have & always will, this means that immediately buying a better or even equally rated player is not on the agenda. The manager, players & supporters know this & accept it but in FM this ethos is a losing proposition with players who IRL are professional enough to understand the deal taking a media click bait stance with the manager & drama is created when none should exist. 

@Barside - very true. As a Dortmund fan I just accept that players like Lewandowski, Hummels, Götze, P.E.A etc are always going to move on no matter how well we do.
Götze did come back of course, but still. Pulisic will follow them out the door soon enough, as will Passlack. I'm genuinely surprised we still have Reus. 

FM definitely has the "selling club" mentality nailed, as manager of BvB you're constantly dealing with players wanting to move on to "bigger/better teams", it's the after-effects that are a nightmare to deal with. A simple option to tell your players the guy you just sold wanted to leave would make all the difference. Alas, you're left making promises you can't keep...

This is another module that has a number of current flaws- so much so that with almost no exceptions, I exclude all promises in contract negotiations and have had relatively few issues because of this.  Dont be afraid at the initial promises screen to just exclude what the player wants because the money is the most important thing for them and they will happily walk away from vague ones about waiting for youth to develop etc.

The one that I see most often is when a player asks to leave - say he's homesick or he wants to go to a bigger club - and so you list him and offer him to clubs like usual. But once he leaves you get the "X was happy to leave after his transfer listing" message and the whole onslaught of reactions that come (from other players as well as fans) as if you'd forced him out of the club. 

I know you can just 'not' list him, but clubs won't always go for a player who you've offered who isn't listed. Besides the player asked to leave - so if he doesn't want to play here why shouldn't I list him?

Like everyone has said, it just needs more work in the detail. I think overall the Player Promises concept is good - you can attract players you would otherwise have been unable to by promising them things and I think it adds an extra level of management if you're trying to appease too many key figures all at once. But it needs to work in a more logical (and in parts 'less buggy') fashion.

Interestingly, I have just negotiated a new contract with one of my players who had as his starting point key player and 4 promises.  I reduced the playing status to rotation, removed all the promises and we quickly agreed to a contract at the wage around what he was wanting- money talks!

2 hours ago, Butlee said:

The one that I see most often is when a player asks to leave - say he's homesick or he wants to go to a bigger club - and so you list him and offer him to clubs like usual. But once he leaves you get the "X was happy to leave after his transfer listing" message and the whole onslaught of reactions that come (from other players as well as fans) as if you'd forced him out of the club. 

I know you can just 'not' list him, but clubs won't always go for a player who you've offered who isn't listed. Besides the player asked to leave - so if he doesn't want to play here why shouldn't I list him?

Like everyone has said, it just needs more work in the detail. I think overall the Player Promises concept is good - you can attract players you would otherwise have been unable to by promising them things and I think it adds an extra level of management if you're trying to appease too many key figures all at once. But it needs to work in a more logical (and in parts 'less buggy') fashion.

The homesick reason created one my personal favourites, when managing Ath. Bilbao my French Basque keeper asked to leave because he wanted to be closer to home, his home town was just under 100 miles from Bilbao but he was insistent & was delighted when he moved to Paris which is just under 500 miles away from his hometown.

6 hours ago, FrazT said:

Dont be afraid at the initial promises screen to just exclude what the player wants because the money is the most important thing for them and they will happily walk away from vague ones about waiting for youth to develop etc.

Yeah, I agree with @FrazT , as long as the promises are not directly related to them, they can be excluded or be replaced with other individual clauses.

@Barside hahaha that's gold! 

Actually I just recalled the other one that comes up. You tend to get players who come to you saying "I've achieved all I can here" and you work to sell them - often they end up at lesser clubs for lesser money. I don't mind that one so much from a player perspective - if he's been at the club X number of years and is fed up, he might accept less money so long as he gets a new challenge. 

But what's annoying is when it's a 10-year club favourite and the players and fans get onto you about it. It's amplified in FM18 where I feel like players are more likely to question my transfer habits. There's not always an option to say "He asked for this and because he was a good club servant, I felt we owed it to him to accept." or some other kind of appropriate answer/excuse that tells it better - where you were just doing the players wishes.

I guess the technical solution is to include some kind of in-database 'tag' that categorises how the transfer came about. So if a with a player is about him leaving, it's tagged as 'player wants to leave' and if you transfer list him within 6 months of that tag, it stops all the negative aspects from the other players, clubs and fans**.

** Maybe or maybe not fans. They might need appeasing through media and interviews.

40 minutes ago, Neotropolis said:

Tbh, Reus has already said that he isn't turning his back on his boyhood club. He's said he'll be there for the duration.

Oh yeah, but that still doesn't stop me being surprised in the modern football world :D 
Plenty of players say the same thing only to move on as soon as the offer is good enough. 

@FrazT - that's what I always do; remove and exclude all promises from the pre-contract negotiations. Not once do players or agents add them back in, which says it all.

EDIT: actually, a good test would be to use the in-game editor to sell a star striker or two, then promise your players you'll strengthen the attack. Then again use the editor to sign a handful of genuine stars (Messi, Ronaldo, Dybala etc) to see if the promise is fulfilled. I might actually do that... for science like.

7 hours ago, FrazT said:

Interestingly, I have just negotiated a new contract with one of my players who had as his starting point key player and 4 promises.  I reduced the playing status to rotation, removed all the promises and we quickly agreed to a contract at the wage around what he was wanting- money talks!

Agreed,  this works for me every time unless he was on 600+K pw already most of players would take money over squad status. If you are with 2 years or more some players and agents wont even demand more money for less role at club as well. 

OK, after a quick experiment I've discovered the "strengthen the (whatever)" does work to a degree.
I sold Firmino to Man City, then immediately promised James Milner I would strengthen the attack. I bought Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, and Suarez, and by the time the window closed he was happy.

The problem is, that's the firs time I've had that promise work and I had to buy 3 legendary strikers to fulfil it. Realistically I could never prize those players away from their clubs for any money. The game is so vague we have no idea exactly what the threshold is, I had to cheat and go right to the top. I'm gonna try again a few different times with players of lesser and lesser reputation/ability to see what the expectations actually are.

I've had a player asked to be the designated penalty taker. In my tactic he was the second choice behind my main striker. i moved him up as the primary penalty taker but nothing happened. The time ran out and i failed to fulfill the promise.

3 hours ago, Muerte706 said:

I've had a player asked to be the designated penalty taker. In my tactic he was the second choice behind my main striker. i moved him up as the primary penalty taker but nothing happened. The time ran out and i failed to fulfill the promise.

Often you ha e to agree to the request in a conversationation for it to register with the player, simply acting upon their concerns is not enough 

10 hours ago, Barside said:

Often you ha e to agree to the request in a conversationation for it to register with the player, simply acting upon their concerns is not enough 

It could also be affected by the number of penalties he gets to take? 

He is asking because he wants to have more goals against his name - at least that's what  I would assume - so making him first choice, but him not getting any to take might affect it.

I've succeeded with 'win silverware' promises. You can promise to win 'next season' and it completes if you win something in the current season. Always say silverware, never a specific trophy just in case...

Succeeded with 'assign as penalty taker' as well, though in my case he was already the first choice penalty taker anyway, so it wasn't a massive deal.

On FM17, I agreed a pre-contract with a foreign player to join my L2 club. This was before 30th June in season 1 and the promise was we’d be top half L1 by the end of season 3. 

The thing was I had actually been promoted in season 1. By the time he joined the club on 30th June and my promotion had registered with FM, suddenly my promise had changed to coming top half Championship in season 3!

15 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

I've succeeded with 'win silverware' promises. You can promise to win 'next season' and it completes if you win something in the current season. Always say silverware, never a specific trophy just in case...

Yes, which is hilariously easy in my case, I just win the Hungarian league and cup every year and make them happy again. :D Dunno why they're so desperate to move to a club to "win silverware" when we're already pretty much certain of doing so. :D 

Archived