let players vote for captaincy

itay.bing

as titled. i remember reading somewhere that this was applied in barcelona, where puyol was always elected almost unanimously - the only player to vote for someone else was puyol himself. anyway, this is not unprecedented. if we really want to make it a dilemma, we can consider that players may pick a leader we don't fancy based on criteria we value less than they do (such as leadership and seniority vs determination and personality), and that the elected captain may feel he is slightly more obligated to his teammates than he is to you, should a clash occur. however, players will defiantly agree with "your" pick and may be more enthusiastic about his leadership than they would have been if he was selected "from above".

You could be given three options in-game: to let the players choose its captain and appointing its choice without any questioning; offer a number of names (from 3 to 5, for example) so they could choose two of them as captain and vice-captain by the squad; or not submit your choice to the team and pick the captains you want without asking your players. The last one could make you look as a more authoritarian Manager (with its pros and cons) and also create some problems with your squad if you don't appoint the right candidates.

8 hours ago, FrazT said:

Perhaps as a compromise, once a choice has been made by the Manager, it should be put to the squad for approval or alternative if not approved?  I doubt that this a source of in-game controversy in the majority of cases.

i'm not sure i got this right, but it seems like you interpenetrated my suggestion as a replacement of the current system. i suggest adding that option. most manager still pick their captains on their own. it can be a tiny tick box at the bottom corner of the "choose captains for the season" message.

also, i think the choosing of the captain should be announced to the players at a team meeting, at least at the start of a season. i imagine it can be something like this:

inbox message of "pick your captain for the season". a list showing leadership and determination of the players, maybe with added traits such as reputation, position and apps at the club, will be shown as it is now. however, at the bottom of the message, instead of "confirm", it will show "hold team meeting". at the team meeting you will announce to the players:

a."as you all know, the season is approaching, and our team needs a captain. i decided that the most suited for the job is (drop bar of all players. marking a person at the previous window, the message, will place him as the only option for picking, to save the searching). in case he is not included in the match squad (...) will replace him."

reactions:

"oh yes, x is truly someone we can look up to and we are sure he can lead us to glory"

"i think someone else was better fitted for the job, but i guess anyone can be a leader, armband or not"

"you're choice is disrespectful towards some of our veteran players, i am really disappointed with this allocation"

b."a captain is a leader of men, and i think it is only fair to let you lads pick your captain. after all, he is your captain as much as, if not more, as he is mine"

reactions:

"we really appreciate the confidence you show in us, we won't make you regret it! (this promise has absolutely no legal implications)"

"sure, i guess"

"i think you are being a bit spineless here. if you can't even decide for yourself and stand behind your choice on such a simple issue, how can we expect you to behave differently under bigger amounts of pressure?"

1 hour ago, itay.bing said:

i'm not sure i got this right, but it seems like you interpenetrated my suggestion as a replacement of the current system. i suggest adding that option. most manager still pick their captains on their own. it can be a tiny tick box at the bottom corner of the "choose captains for the season" message.

Yes, I thought you were suggesting taking the choice completely out of the manager's hands and giving it to the players.  Whichever way, it is worth consideration.

• 3 months later...

Archived