Is there far too much meaningless interaction in FM?

Is there far too much meaningless interaction in FM?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. As titled. Press conferences, team talks, media questions, player interaction without really adding to the experience.

• It's honestly ridiculous and spoils my enjoyment.
    • A little much but it's ok.
    • Quite happy how things are actually.
    • Would happily have more interaction.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Just play FMT. Its got just as much depth as FM really. The games are practically the same, save for competition rules and media interaction. My mind boggles when people say "I hate this in FM, I know FMT's like this but I want the depth of FM"... so really what you're saying is you just want to delegate this stuff away.

When I play FM, thats what I do. I barely notice it then. 

But anyway, interaction matters because it happens in real life, and also because it taking part (or not taking part) does impact on job applications within FM to some extent. And none of it is really nonsense, its just one of those mini-games within FM that plenty of people actually play and use.

I suppose it is part of today's manager responsibility to get involved with the press, but there is no doubt that this module needs some work to make it more re realistic.  The coding required may well be such that it may never be good, but it undoubtedly could be better.

I agree wholeheartedly about the whole war of words nonsense.  I just had a question after a game against Inter about my feud with their manager and I checked my save and I had never played against them!

• Administrators
1 minute ago, FrazT said:

I agree wholeheartedly about the whole war of words nonsense.  I just had a question after a game against Inter about my feud with their manager and I checked my save and I had never played against them!

Wouldn't be the first time the media make stuff up :brock:

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Wouldn't be the first time the media make stuff up :brock:

Yeah, perhaps, but in truth, there is far too much emphasis in press conferences about the opponents, players and managers- now I don't even do the press conferences and still get asked after the games about my current feud!

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

But anyway, interaction matters because it happens in real life, and also because it taking part (or not taking part) does impact on job applications within FM to some extent. And none of it is really nonsense, its just one of those mini-games within FM that plenty of people actually play and use.

I don't disagree with you Lucas, but my point is the meaningless stuff like the examples I gave in my OP. Questions that actually have zero meaning and then results/responses that almost entirely make no sense whatsoever. I'd get involved in - and enjoy - the interaction side of FM more if I wasn't genuinely embarrassed by the questions/available answers.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, FrazT said:

now I don't even do the press conferences and still get asked after the games about my current feud!

There will be a 'feud' if: 

- The opposition manager doesn't like you for whatever reason. Maybe they don't like your style of play, or feel aggrieved after certain matches. 

- You've had transfer dealings with the other manager that haven't gone positively (declaring interest in their players, refusing to sell them players)

- You're in a competitive rivalry of some sort no matter how small in a competition. 

If you don't take part then you can't rectify any of these things by saying nice things about them so they will be negative outcomes of their opinion about you.

I can see how it might be annoying (I don't fully invest in them either), and there's definitely improvements to be made. But it is quite clever in its own way at times at creating narratives within the game that last over time. Often you've probably forgotten what it is even though the game hasn't. 

My gripe with Press Conferences is things get old fast - the same questions are recycled and there's often 10 of them to answer each time. I much prefer FMT's approach or would even like there to be less questions on a regular basis but given much more variety to improve the longevity of using it during the game. The other issue is, FM isn't a linear game and goes on forever, and no real amount of questions or variety is going to stop things coming up too often. In story based games with interaction you usually get a more positive experience because you can't always come across the same repeated things like you do in FM.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

Questions that actually have zero meaning

What one person might think has zero meaning (and you can probably say the same for the social media in the game too), others find this immersive and feel more involved with the choices they actually make in the game. It might be cosmetic but at least there's some feedback on the stuff you've done in the game. It's by no means perfect, but I don't think its entirely bad as you're making out.

29 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Just play FMT. Its got just as much depth as FM really. The games are practically the same, save for competition rules and media interaction. My mind boggles when people say "I hate this in FM, I know FMT's like this but I want the depth of FM"... so really what you're saying is you just want to delegate this stuff away.

doesn't FMT have smaller intakes, automatic tutoring which people dislike and it prevents people using customized leagues. Thats not a big deal for some people but for some, not being able to manage in San Marino or Belize is a problem.

But for others , yes, FMT is great and you get everything.

For me, there's a bit foo much, but I'm not all that bothered about it.

Yes, press conferences are very repetitive, but they are that way in real life as well, so I get why it is as it is. I would like it to be fewer questions at a time though. Answering one or two, prehaps three, questions before each game could be good. But I would like to see the questions a bit more... "on point". Ask me about problems in the squad, the upcoming match or the last one IF there is something to ask about. Don't ask me "do you think you could win this match?" when it's at home to a lower league side. Contextualize the questions a bit more. "You are playing against a lower tier side, do you think your players can find a way through if they park the bus?" is a valid question. Or "You have struggled against teams playing very defensively this season (if the player have had issues winning against lower ranked sides), do you think you can find a way today?".

I would see _SOME_ of the social media in the news section if they are of interest to my recent doings. I rarely go check on the social media page. Why? Well, what does it give me? The immersion is lacking at the moment. 3 "tweets" from "fans" after each match. A random "team of the week" thing, and some random player I don't care about were not picked for the national team in the country I play in. Now, I'm not active on real life Twitter either, so I guess others might find this more suitable than me. The "votes" are a nice touch, but those were in the inbox some versions ago, and I kind of liked that.

However, there one place were I would like to INCREASE interactions. And that is in regards to players. I think we, as managers, should have a lot more to do with the players. Of course, there should be an option to let the assistant do all that, but I would like to be interacting much more with my players. Look at how real life managers are with their players. Mourinho have been doing all sorts of things with his players. Klopp are always running around hugging his. Ferguson instilled a "us against the world" mentality in his squad. There are a lot of ways managers act towards their players and for me, this is not replicated good enough in the game.

Yep. Getting asked over 5 times if I have faith my team will stay up; especially the 6th time, after 38 games played with Bolton in the championship, sitting in 8th spot, 19 points clear of the relegation zone. Um yeah, I have faith Ill stay up. This is just ONE of many fails in the game. The game lacks attention to detail. Simple as that. 

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

FMT misses parts of the game people actually like, such as training and edited databases...

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

doesn't FMT have smaller intakes, automatic tutoring which people dislike and it prevents people using customized leagues. Thats not a big deal for some people but for some, not being able to manage in San Marino or Belize is a problem.

Smaller 'intakes' because in FM it's artificially expanded so you can 'choose' who to keep on from youth candidates. The idea was before then in FM (and as it is in FMT), is that those decisions have been made with the players that come up through your 'intake'. 

And you will get larger intakes if your squad is smaller in any case.

I'd love to manage some of the smaller national sides in FMT that I can't in FM, but there's reasons for that too. Can see the argument re: tutoring too, but I usually dealt with that by not signing players with personalities I didn't like.

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

training

It has training :D  not sure what you're on about there?

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It has training :D  not sure what you're on about there?

It's a while since I played Touch, but IIRC training is somewhat more limited, and you don't need to dedicate any time to your players learning new tactics, which might feel like a cheat to some people. IIRC the scouting is much more basic and the youth intakes are smaller too, with the latter being a big deal for the sort of long term save which might most benefit from less repetitive interaction

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

It's a while since I played Touch, but IIRC training is somewhat more limited, and you don't need to dedicate any time to your players learning new tactics, which might feel like a cheat to some people. IIRC the scouting is much more basic and the youth intakes are smaller too, with the latter being a big deal for the sort of long term save which might most benefit from less repetitive interaction

I've played long term games on Touch lasting 50 seasons or so, the youth intakes is not an issue for the longevity of the game. Tactical Familiarity was in and was taken out, and scouting is practically identical, just simpler to set up (ie. you don't need an armada of scouting staff). Training is the same module, there's only a couple of things different really. It's all geared towards the game being quicker to play, I wouldn't have gotten a 10th as far on the same kind of game in FM because of all the extra fluff you have to deal with one a daily basis in-game. 

And I think really that might be one reason the extra media interaction stuff is probably meaningless to some people, having to deal with these things even when delegated can contribute to the game taking a bit longer to get through the seasons.

I wouldn't define any of it as "meaningless" interaction, going by the thread title.  All interaction has a purpose in game.

It's the repetitive questions and answers which grates, as does the "feuds" with other managers I've apparently created (huh, since when?), to the point where I just send my AM to press conferences now.

There needs to be more layers to the interaction module which should involve more direct conversations, obvious & subtle performance impact during matches & a more prolonged period where the manager gets clues of issues through hints from players, staff & other in game sources.

The more complex the system is made the less likely it is to end up like the press conference module.

37 minutes ago, herne79 said:

I wouldn't define any of it as "meaningless" interaction, going by the thread title.  All interaction has a purpose in game.

Questioning how I dress is the perfect example of meaningless.

Noting my tone of voice in press conferences, just to add a comment about it at the bottom of some news items, is also spectacularly pointless.

Asking who I think will win World Player of the Year (and various other player awards).

Asking who I think will push for continental qualification this year.

Asking me if I can "make top spot my own" and win the league after going top with 3 games played. 

Asking if I can go all the way after winning an early round of a competition (regardless of the stature of my club).

Asking if we have faith in keeping our team up despite it being a forgone conclusion as @Preveza said there.

I actually had a hilarious interaction with Sean Dyche yesterday when he was close to the sack. The media asked me my thoughts on it but as I saved the game before the press conference I tested out his reaction(s) to my response(s).

"They should stick with him" (he said Ray Valhalla should mind his own business)
"It's none of my business" (he said it's disappointing to not have the support of your fellow managers)
"That's the nature of the game now, a few bad results and questions are asked..." (he again said I should mind my own business)

Basically none of my answers would be the "right one" so why bloody ask me in the first place? Half the questions make no sense and the responses/reactions from AI (players, managers, media) appear to be nothing more than a random lottery of nonsense.

Herne sorry I have to disagree here. Evidence is apparent. Receiving questions, mentioned above, should not be happening in certain parts

Also, there are many more examples. Bottom line. Way too many meaningless questions and interactions

26 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

Questioning how I dress is the perfect example of meaningless.

Noting my tone of voice in press conferences, just to add a comment about it at the bottom of some news items, is also spectacularly pointless.

Asking who I think will win World Player of the Year (and various other player awards).

Asking who I think will push for continental qualification this year.

Asking me if I can "make top spot my own" and win the league after going top with 3 games played. 

Asking if I can go all the way after winning an early round of a competition (regardless of the stature of my club).

Asking if we have faith in keeping our team up despite it being a forgone conclusion as @Preveza said there.

22 minutes ago, Preveza said:

Herne sorry I have to disagree here. Evidence is apparent. Receiving questions, mentioned above, should not be happening in certain parts

Also, there are many more examples. Bottom line. Way too many meaningless questions and interactions

It's immersion, that's the point.  What breaks that immersion are the repetitive questions and answers.

So the interaction in and of itself isn't pointless, it's how that interaction manifests which is the issue.  Would anyone have such an issue with interaction if we were asked fresh and original questions all the time?  You think real life managers aren't asked who'll win World Player of the Year or who'll win the league year in year out?

Interaction can also impact things in game.  For example if you keep on annoying people in the media you can get a warning form the Board.  You can annoy your players if you say something out of turn.  They can get upset by things you say in the media.  Likewise they can be impressed by you, boosting their morale and even getting you into their favoured personnel list.  So interaction isn't meaningless, there's always a point to it, it's just a pain in the arse to keep clicking through the same questions and answers all the time, or saying something you think is ok and it turns out you've just pissed off your star striker.  Which is why I now send my AM as much as possible.

That's not to say there aren't some bugs of course - being asked dumb questions at inappropriate times for example is pretty pointless sure.  It's just that a lot of the posts in the thread are going beyond "pointless" and straying into repetition.  That's two different things, which is what I'm highlighting.

2 minutes ago, herne79 said:

It's immersion, that's the point.  What breaks that immersion are the repetitive questions and answers.

So the interaction in and of itself isn't pointless, it's how that interaction manifests which is the issue.  Would anyone have such an issue with interaction if we were asked fresh and original questions all the time?  You think real life managers aren't asked who'll win World Player of the Year or who'll win the league year in year out?

Interaction can also impact things in game.  For example if you keep on annoying people in the media you can get a warning form the Board.  You can annoy your players if you say something out of turn.  They can get upset by things you say in the media.  Likewise they can be impressed by you, boosting their morale and even getting you into their favoured personnel list.  So interaction isn't meaningless, there's always a point to it, it's just a pain in the arse to keep clicking through the same questions and answers all the time, or saying something you think is ok and it turns out you've just pissed off your star striker.  Which is why I now send my AM as much as possible.

That's not to say there aren't some bugs of course - being asked dumb questions at inappropriate times for example is pretty pointless sure.  It's just that a lot of the posts in the thread are going beyond "pointless" and straying into repetition.  That's two different things, which is what I'm highlighting.

I hear your point of view, the repetition part and bugs factor are two different things entirely indeed

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

The problem with FMT is it does not support editor file and thus I can't play custom league.

5 hours ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

Constantly having to "cool the war of words" with other managers whom I have neve said a bad word about is really driving me crazy too.

I started going down the rabbit hole with this one. If they ask the question; "Oh, such and such said you're a terrible person" - go to their press conference history and you'll find two things (probably)

Relationship with you: Good

Press conference latest: "I think Mr Signed Up For No Reason is an excellent person and I would happily wed my daughter to him if I had one."

Honestly, check it out after every inane, bear-baiting question from the media in the game. Chances are, what they're presenting to you is absolutely not what the AI manager has even said at all.

Even the 'feuds' coming from rivals can be blown miles out of proportion. Very seldom do I catch a manager actually slagging me off and the media presenting that to me properly. Even rivals - I've had Chelsea, Liverpool and City manager (I'm at Manchester United) either fawning over me, or in agreement with me about something or other for most the part. It's rare they come to blows with you.

Anyway, that aside, I do think the interaction modules is dull. I personally think it should be diluted so it only pops up once in a while. I don't see why we need to know that we're being 'cagey' for no-commenting some ridiculous tripe question. The repeat questions are especially dull. Some of the questions are half-baked. "How do you feel about the week off we've had for the international break in which everyone of your players played, but we'll presume they haven't" for example. And the cup glory ones etc, there needs to be more refinement of them.

Personal interactions are sort of better - better than they were at launch and for a long time afterwards for sure. I remember getting irate that the players would talk to you like scum on the bottom of your shoe. Now they're more or less sensible even if they do lapse sometimes. That still needs improving; For example, a player wants to move away, I agree to it, no one bids for him so we have to talk about it and the option is a bit too mean for me: "We both know your time here is over! Get on the phone!" Like, it could do with more tact... Or a re-phrasing... "As you know, you wish to leave and we've agreed to let you leave. Unfortunately, for whatever reason no one is bidding for us at minimal asking price. Might it be worth your time giving some clubs a ring to see if there's a stumbling block we are unaware of?" - Sounds nice and professional if you ask me - a lot better than a lot of the stock responses. :)

• Administrators
3 hours ago, russell9 said:

The problem with FMT is it does not support editor file and thus I can't play custom league.

You don't have to tell me that anymore :D 

But if you have specifics about what it is you want to play in FMT that you can't, then post this in the wishlist thread.

Interaction is way short of what it could be and at present is so shallow it wouldn't bother me if it were removed, but if the game is going to get more immersive it needs a complete overhaul. Not sure how likely that is with current technology though.

Player and staff interaction is rubbish: so rigid and frustrating. The fact you can't have a conversation with a player the day after having an earlier one, or if he's unhappy until he is no longer unhappy, is ridiculous. Team interaction is just as bad: one win away from the title and they all feel pressurised and lose morale if you try to push them over the line (even though you're 10 points clear and playing bottom of the league at home). It's a huge part of real life and I hope we get massive improvements this year but, as I say, having a human conversation with a computer may not be achievable yet.

Press conferences just need to be better linked to the situation and again, much less rigid if possible. More should be made of big moments in the season - sometimes you get like two questions after winning the CL semi final, one of which might be to do with a youngster on loan. Come on, it really is bad sometimes.

2 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Personal interactions are sort of better - better than they were at launch and for a long time afterwards for sure. I remember getting irate that the players would talk to you like scum on the bottom of your shoe. Now they're more or less sensible even if they do lapse sometimes. That still needs improving; For example, a player wants to move away, I agree to it, no one bids for him so we have to talk about it and the option is a bit too mean for me: "We both know your time here is over! Get on the phone!" Like, it could do with more tact... Or a re-phrasing... "As you know, you wish to leave and we've agreed to let you leave. Unfortunately, for whatever reason no one is bidding for us at minimal asking price. Might it be worth your time giving some clubs a ring to see if there's a stumbling block we are unaware of?" - Sounds nice and professional if you ask me - a lot better than a lot of the stock responses. :)

I totally agree with you on this. It's especially true when you sell a player and then have another player come to you asking "why did you sell him?", but the replies available - for reasons known only to SI - do not include the very straightforward "I didn't want to sell him at all, he demanded the move himself" (why can't we say that?). Instead we have to either lie (didn't fit in with my tactics), or make stupid promises (I'll be signing a replacement/someone even better/higher reputation soon)". Would be nice to be able to answer appropriately.

I just don't understand how we're still here discussing of the same thing every year since the first time PC's turned into an elaborate, unfortunate and ripetitive boring waste-o-time mini game. It's the same old stuff, you can change question, you can turn words around but at the end of the story is alwyas the same soup: people get bored after 2nd season. It's clear to me that implementing dynamic press conferences/questions is not as easy as we think, if ever possible.

I'd simply remove them or reduce them drastically so to not spoil the enjoyment and fluidity of gaming experience. Local magazines "phone calls" and "tunnel interviews" are incredibly useless in my opinion. To me this is an area where realism could be detrimental as much as having realistic matches were both teams count 1 shot on goal for the most boring 0-0 ever seen (and matches like that are not so unusual in Italy).

The amount of clicks the game needs increase year after year. Spending one week in game requires more minutes than ever. It slows the game down so much that people at a certain point loses interest on it, and this is what happened to me this year.

I would play FMC/FMT but it doesn't have the edited database support for some reason, so that's a no.

The one that bothers me the most is the press conferences; I know you can delegate them to the assistant but he always picks the worst options and the game treats us as playing the game unrealistically, since we have a meter on our character for media handling and it goes to 1 if we skip press conferences.

Lately I've just skipped them all by picking either always the middle option or the no comment option all the time.

I've honestly been unsure the whole time playing FM18 between if I want (a) the whole media/interaction element improved or if I (b) want it reduced. 

I mean, on one hand if they made it less repetitive and geared the questions to a wider variety of features within your club/league it might be more interesting.

But on the other hand - if they did do that would you really want to bother? At least now you can skip through fairly quickly because you know all he Q's after just reading the first few words. And you know that same Q will come up again within a week so if you make a mistake you can rectify it by changing your answer then.

So I'm still really stuck on that. Swaying towards the latter (reduce interactions/interviews/etc..) at the moment. Not sure just making them more varied or interesting would be much more fun.

2 hours ago, Butlee said:

I've honestly been unsure the whole time playing FM18 between if I want (a) the whole media/interaction element improved or if I (b) want it reduced. 

I mean, on one hand if they made it less repetitive and geared the questions to a wider variety of features within your club/league it might be more interesting.

But on the other hand - if they did do that would you really want to bother? At least now you can skip through fairly quickly because you know all he Q's after just reading the first few words. And you know that same Q will come up again within a week so if you make a mistake you can rectify it by changing your answer then.

So I'm still really stuck on that. Swaying towards the latter (reduce interactions/interviews/etc..) at the moment. Not sure just making them more varied or interesting would be much more fun.

Why not both? I would want good solid contextual questions, but why not limit it to 2 or 3 each time. Then we wouldn't get as automated in our responses since the same questions would not come up as often, but at the same time they would be appropriate for the situation?

Let't be honest here, no one in neither FM nor the real world enter football to answer press conferences. It's just a part of the whole package. Why not tone it down, and keep it to a max of 2-3 questions each time. It would keep the element of press conferences in the game, but not to a degree that annoys.

Even though I think FM should strive for realism, it is a simulation and a game. We don't stop the game every once in a while for photoshoots either, so a little creative freedom is good here, I think.

SI need to find a new way to debug these issues, the current method of asking people to provide saves after the event is not practical on the large scale required & figuring out how to store code data for a short period to track logic after the event would go a long way to getting more workable examples logged in their bug database.

1 minute ago, Barside said:

figuring out how to store code data for a short period to track logic after the event would go a long way to getting more workable examples logged in their bug database.

I wonder if memory requirements prevent this at all?

19 hours ago, Lucas said:

No editor though

That will be a consideration for the public releases, maybe something for the closed beta versions at first with an option for user to select the in the public versions so that folk playing on a device with less than 8GB of RAM or those not inclinedd to report issues can leave switched.

Edited by Barside

9 hours ago, FrazT said:

So, to summarise:

Interactions are part of the reality of today's football and do have a small impact, so should be in the game, but the module needs to be a whole lot better

Exactly this. I think SI have inadvertently created a situation that is actually all-too authentic, in that real life managers at the top end do have to answer pointless repetitive questions as part of their contractual media commitments. However, it detracts from playability in FM and does need to be either improved or reduced. I do think it is less realistic, however, to get so many media questions down in the lower leagues, far from TV cameras.

apart from the repetitive and/or useless nature of the questions, i find it really annoying how anglocentric they are. i don't expect every nation to have very unique press nuances like they do in real life, but stuff like manager feuds may be completely irrelevant to other places. answering a question about whether or not "managers who play domestic players hold the game back" and if i'd like "such talented domestic squad" as manger B has is ridicules at a nation where a strict (relative to europe, at least) regulation system is applied, where filling your foreign player limit is a question of budget (usually only for newly promoted teams) and 90's "held back" football is missed, very, very dearly. 

Edited by itay.bing

For a long time I thought media interviews were just eye-candy.

Until I had a pre-match interview just before a game with the clubs fierce local rivals whose manager has me listed under disliked people.

I took the aggressive & dismissive answers to every question.

The match started and the opposition body language was "looks unsure" with a couple of "looks very nervous"

the match was literally won before the players even got on the pitch

(final score was 3-0 to me)

It's the first time ive seen the media part of the game have this kind of result on how a match plays

and ive not been able to recreate it, which sometimes feels very frustrating

there needs to be a much larger pool of both questions and the responses to them

you do see the same things a lot right now

@XaW Well probably not both because it doesn't make sense for SI to commit so much time and effort to fine tune this part of the game and then turn it mostly off! Better to spend those resources elsewhere! hah.

Seriously though, I agree in that as the utopia. I can't imagine it'll go that way, but surely there's some kind of happy medium.

14 minutes ago, Butlee said:

@XaW Well probably not both because it doesn't make sense for SI to commit so much time and effort to fine tune this part of the game and then turn it mostly off! Better to spend those resources elsewhere! hah.

Seriously though, I agree in that as the utopia. I can't imagine it'll go that way, but surely there's some kind of happy medium.

Yeah, it was mostly what I would like to see, not quite what I'm expecting. I still would be most happy with 2-3 questions each press conference though, if I have to chose something.