do you use manmarking frequently?

i used to think it was pointless, however in the last game (against a much weaker side) in the first 20 minutes i was getting absolutely battered, then after seeing their play i saw that there was a deep midfielder pulling the strings, so i sent out a destroyer (a bwm really) and then my posession and potency magically increased and they were paralyzed

do you utilize it often? if so are there any specific threats you manmark? and do you think using defenders to manmark strikers is good or bad? i think its bad since the striker can easily drop deep disrupting the defensive shape

I normally leave the strikers in my 3 CB formation. the CM's mark the other CM's if they tend to get forward. Also my wingbacks will back Wide midfielders if there is no overlap happening. I would mark a striker if he's good in the air.

I tend to use OIs if I want to specifically mark an OP player or position, rather than asking any of my players to specifically mark their player/position. Just on occasion, I may instruct my winger or wide midfielder to specifically mark the fullback or wingback position (not the player) nearest to him if I notice that a particular kind of threat is coming from there.

If I notice a fullback is causing me lots of problems I'll often ask my wide player to man mark. This can pull them out of position a little going forward , but I'm happy with that sacrifice 

I'm also experimenting with man marking vs 3 striker formations with a 4 man defense. Fullbacks mark the outside strikers, one CB marks the central striker and the other plays as a bit of a sweeper type, with close down much less.

Depends what sort of a system I'm using. If I'm using a Very Fluid system that I've copied from here, where the onus is on having intelligent players making the right decisions, I don't use any OIs. If I have a system with less creative freedom or lesser players, I occasionally man-mark the opposition lone striker if there isn't an AM pushing up. I never man-mark wide players though - 99/100 times they're pacy so if they turn your full back you're screwed, and the other 1/100 is Mandzukic who will outmuscle the full back instead.

OI is part of the tactic (although its a pity that it cant be saved in a tactic file). If I am playing high press, I will set tight marking on the targets that I want to press. If I am not pressing then I dont use it.

If you are talking about the PI manmark, I only use it when I play wing back positions and need them to track back to mark someone on the flanks.

Archived