Quick Brexit Question

Near the end of season three and Brexit is about to come into play soon.

I have been told it looks like the rules will be 16 foreign players allowed in the squad. Has anyone else had this version?

I was wondering if Non-Eu or Eu makes any difference with work permits - there has been nothing mentioned so far.

Also, the effect on European registrations, my current technique, getting players in who are under 17 to get them HGC status for Europe, will I now need to wait until they are 5 years in and Citizenship? Or will they be 'foreigners' still?

I know the work-permit thing and the squad registrations are separate issues, but  I need to start planning the signings.

I think it's the one where all players get granted conditional work permits straight away. But still EU players won't count as foreign, only non EU players will count towards your foreign allowance.

Unless you've got 20odd south americans i doubt you will go over the limits bud.

Yeah - it does seem a bit generous. If EU players are NOT classed as foreigners - but no mention of work permits as yet. I assume the WP rules stay the same, am just allowed up to 16 of them. To be fair, it was my youth programme  I was more concerned about, I tend to recruit the best  I can from around Europe at 16/17, no WPs required means they are home grown and still in the u23s

EU players will count as FGN for the player limits, however if they are players who were at your club prior to Brexit then they'll initially count as domestic until they sign a new contract, though any that count towards your squad limits should start taking up British passports (if they have been in the country long enough) so they count as domestic.

Also after Brexit you will lose the ability to sign U18's (unless they are based in England) and U21 FGN players will need to be registered to play.

The Brexit rules should be stated in the rules tab on the league table panel.

1 hour ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

EU players will count as FGN for the player limits, however if they are players who were at your club prior to Brexit then they'll initially count as domestic until they sign a new contract, though any that count towards your squad limits should start taking up British passports (if they have been in the country long enough) so they count as domestic.

Also after Brexit you will lose the ability to sign U18's (unless they are based in England) and U21 FGN players will need to be registered to play.

Thanks for that @michaeltmurrayuk They are not in the league rules yet as it hasn't happened - these are just the warning emails.

I have a few players taking up citizenship this season.

@Snorks  Sounds similar to Brexit in one of my saves.  I can sign up to 17 foreign players and that limit replaces any Work Permit rules.  In practise what this means is that WPs are still granted, but now they are just handed out as there is no criteria to meet - so long as I don't sign more than 17 foreign players.

In other words it's even more relaxed than the current system :p.

10.png

2 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

This has been inconsistent for me.  I've signed several players to renewals who were on my payroll pre-Brexit.  All, but 1 of them still don't count as FGN for some reason.  The 1 that counted as FGN was under 21 so that may have something to do with it.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

@Snorks  Sounds similar to Brexit in one of my saves.  I can sign up to 17 foreign players and that limit replaces any Work Permit rules.  In practise what this means is that WPs are still granted, but now they are just handed out as there is no criteria to meet - so long as I don't sign more than 17 foreign players.

10.png

Yeah that's similar to mine - it's the 'instead of the work permit system' that I'm not sure about. Does that mean that any player, from any non-UK country can be counted in the 17, with no need for a work permit?

8 hours ago, Snorks said:

Yeah that's similar to mine - it's the 'instead of the work permit system' that I'm not sure about. Does that mean that any player, from any non-UK country can be counted in the 17, with no need for a work permit?

That's what I'm seeing.  Technically they still get a WP but it seems to be just a formality (maybe a work around for the coding?) 

When the rules actually change, do what I did - save the game, experimentally buy someone who would fail a WP pre-Brexit and see what happens.  Then just go back to your save point and carry on safe in the knowledge of how things work.

Some may call that a cheat, I call it taking the role of the club's legal council in order to fully understand the new Brexit laws which would otherwise confuse the hell out of me ;).

17 hours ago, Enos said:

This has been inconsistent for me.  I've signed several players to renewals who were on my payroll pre-Brexit.  All, but 1 of them still don't count as FGN for some reason.  The 1 that counted as FGN was under 21 so that may have something to do with it.

FM18 may have changed how it deals with pre-Brexit EU players - FM17 didn't count them until after the first contract renewal, it's possible FM18 grandfathered in existing players as domestic or it could just be that the rest of your players have been in the UK long enough to get a British passport so are counted as domestic.

@Neil Brock - With Brexit in FM19, will you be taking into account the fact that even if there is no deal by March 2019, EU rules would continue to apply in the UK until the end of 2020 (and so different rules would only apply from the January 2021 transfer window)?

I had the 17 foreign player version, players currently playing in the UK when Brexit happens don't count as foreign. If you're already in the top flight it makes things easier as you can sign South American wonderkids without having to worry about work permits etc. If you're in the second tier or below try and stock up on EU players before it happens.

4 hours ago, ZiggySawdust said:

I had the 17 foreign player version, players currently playing in the UK when Brexit happens don't count as foreign. If you're already in the top flight it makes things easier as you can sign South American wonderkids without having to worry about work permits etc. If you're in the second tier or below try and stock up on EU players before it happens.

At what age can you sign them? 

On 30/08/2018 at 21:51, herne79 said:

10.png

Something along these lines is what will happen, mainly due to the fact that footballers get taxed 40 percent... not a chance our government will decline someone to work here who will pay thousands a week in taxes.

4 hours ago, MagicHat said:

Something along these lines is what will happen, mainly due to the fact that footballers get taxed 40 percent... not a chance our government will decline someone to work here who will pay thousands a week in taxes.

Plus any current EU citizens who are already living in the UK for any period of time will be given permanent residence, so they won't suddenly count as foreigners just because they sign a new contract.

Archived