Sports Interactive Community
Josh23stone

Player sees no benefit in citizenship

Im currently managing in Gibraltar with leo fc and ive had many players for 3 or 5 years who are eligible for it to then say sees no benefit when they are no nearer to getting any international football with there home nations, is there anyway round this as it really bugs me as im trying to get Gibraltar national team to be decent and when this happens it reallys puts me off trying

From my experience players usually only take up a second nationality to get round non EU squad restrictions or so they no longer need a work permit. If you have neither of these issues in the gibraltan league I would guess that's the main reason players aren't taking up the second nationality option.

A second reason could be that they simply aren't interested in playing for Gibraltar regardless of the fact that they aren't good enough to make any appearances for their home nation.

Also the UK nations have a gentleman's agreement that nationalised players aren't eligible to play for them. As Gibraltar is considered part of the UK at the start of the game it's highly likely that even if your players took up gibraltan nationality you wouldn't be able to pick them for the national team.

As for a way around it, the only thing I can think of is using the in-game editor

1 minute ago, Mickybricks14 said:

From my experience players usually only take up a second nationality to get round non EU squad restrictions or so they no longer need a work permit

This part. I've often had Mo Salah take British citizenship at Liverpool once the Brexit rules come into effect, solely to get around work permit issues (it clearly states that once he gains citizenship).

I often see players taking up citizenship when its not required. I've never seen it in a league where it would actually matter though.  It always says its to help the team in some way (can't remember exact wording). But I see this in leagues where it doesn't even matter. Like in Sweden for example.  Where there are no work permit rules and no squad registration rules. The only rule there is you have to have 9 home grown in the match squad. So changing your nationality doesn't matter. Yet it happens a lot. And I've never seen anything about work permits in all the years I've managed in Sweden.

I don't think many foreign footballers would particularly want to play for Gibraltar's national team,.

At the time FM18 was released naturalised citizens weren't eligible for the football team either. unless they were educated on the territory or had a claim through grandparents, as Gibraltar was assumed to abide by the Home Nations Agreement, though this appears to have changed

I've seen players take up Aussie Citizenship after 4 years to help with registration issues there, only to still go and play internationally for their original countries.

So I think it probably accommodates for all kinds and types. But I'd say the #1 priority for players is changing nationality to suit the league they're in.

Eligibility is something that varied with players especially if declared for nations or from south america ive managed to make the gibraltar team half decent getting into top 100 of the rankings, i think it would help if i could change players minds when they are eligible to take nationality i understood to a degree when they are getting on in there careers but ive 22 year old english never capped saying see no benefit its annoying

I suspect that the desire to take up a second nationality will depend on the status of the second nation.  Gibraltar will not be a great pull and that will be why players are not that keen to apply

In my Gibraltarian save in Fm 17 I had many good players (French,African, Greek ++) who after 5 year + something they took Gibraltarian citizenship and played for national team. In my Maltese save for Fm18 too.. 

I am season 3 with Liverpool and had a couple of players take citizenship 'to help with Euro competition registrations' was the reason given.