Defensive Line Height

Does anyone know if it’s possible to make your center backs position themselves higher up the pitch when attacking? My center backs seem to always let the opposition striker push them behind the midfield line. I’ve tested countless things from changing mentality to editing reputation to editing Club/staff details. I’ve tested with about 10 teams based on reputation, while watching a good amount of each game. Nothing I do works. For some reason when I test with Real Betis, the center backs will push up for certain parts of the match but I can’t seem to replicate this for other teams. Anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

Why would you want your central defenders to be in the midfield line? The highest your defenders will ever realistically stand is the half way line. Any further and a striker can stand behind them and be onside. 

If you want to play a higher defensive line use the "much higher defensive line" and possibly play very fluid (it makes less space between lines and encourages players to participate in all phases of play).

Thanks for your reply. By midfield line I meant halfway line, my mistake. Basically I’m wondering if it’s possible to get something like in the image I’ve attached. I’ve attempted the method you’ve suggested before which still yields the same result (center backs never going beyond halfway line). I’m beginning to think it’s not possible to intentionally make this happen within the game. 94AE3B66-51B7-4506-B101-413BB771B60A.thumb.png.0af0b68ad1e29d2cb45bd9aada4209f6.png

E8BD944F-FFEF-42A6-AAA5-7E0F0E285A11.png

It would rely on the opposition's strikers role and duty.

As has been said, and using your pictures, the strikers in white are free, in the images, to stand beyond the CBs - between them and the half-way line - and still be onside. If the striker did that, the defensive line would drop back to the half-way line.

The only reason your two pictures show the CBs in the opposition half and, assuming the pitch is mowed to FIFA standards, they are no more than 6 yards beyond half-way (less in the first image) is because there is no threat from the opposition.

For you to get your CBs to do the same in FM, the opposition needs to play a system where the ST drops deep enough. Again, referring to the image, the strikers are at least 5-6 yards deeper again.

I completely forgot about that aspect of the offside rule practically playing them onside. Thanks a lot for clearing that up. Is there anyway to trigger the striker to press midfielders (outside of roles and duties) to create the space needed to push up? Or is it entirely out of my hands?

Unless you can get your midfielders to sit deeper and drop into that strata to take up the strikers attention - and then only if the striker has been told to tight mark the nearest player. But why would you do that? 

I guess, if you give the CBs the tight mark instruction, or 'Close Down More' they might step up if the situation demands it. Would 'Get Further Forward' do it ? 

I'm not sure I would want that though, given the ease with which through balls and pacey strikers can leave most defenses behind, without giving them a 10 yd head start in their own half.

5 hours ago, Snorks said:

It would rely on the opposition's strikers role and duty.

As has been said, and using your pictures, the strikers in white are free, in the images, to stand beyond the CBs - between them and the half-way line - and still be onside. If the striker did that, the defensive line would drop back to the half-way line.

The only reason your two pictures show the CBs in the opposition half and, assuming the pitch is mowed to FIFA standards, they are no more than 6 yards beyond half-way (less in the first image) is because there is no threat from the opposition.

For you to get your CBs to do the same in FM, the opposition needs to play a system where the ST drops deep enough. Again, referring to the image, the strikers are at least 5-6 yards deeper again.

Okay but why would the strikers just stand beyond the CBs? Yeah they could, but then the CBs are completely free in buildup.

I think what he's trying to ask is there a way to pin to the defense back so far and basically camp in their half and move the ball around that way?

Ah, right, I see. The thing is, you are not going to have defenders in those positions with every team, and against every team. This is Barcelona, and the other side is clearly dropping back, being compact and not closing down too much. The strikers are probably not even strikers in FM terms here but AMCs and they probably close down. In situations like this, you can absolutely get your defenders pushed up that high. high D line should encourage it. 

This is only going to work when you play a team who are parking the bus though. Generally you will face teams who actually attack you, or press you, and who have strikers that are trying to attack you (not the case in the pictures above). There are then so many reasons why your defensive line would not advance that far. They would leave strikers onside but behind them. The build up play is too quick and chances created before they can naturally reach that position. The ball is given away too quickly and they do not have a chance to naturally reach this position.

I think the key here is that you shouldn't be sticking with the same tactics every single game. You need to review the opposition..do they have pacy strikers or tall strikers, does their midfield contain a passing midfielder you need to press to shut down his creativity. You also need to consider adjusting say at half time etc if your tactics aren't working. Should you play different home to away.

With a high press you need to have players who can win the ball then players who can do something with it

15 hours ago, steakfaced said:

Okay but why would the strikers just stand beyond the CBs? Yeah they could, but then the CBs are completely free in buildup.

I think what he's trying to ask is there a way to pin to the defense back so far and basically camp in their half and move the ball around that way?

They wouldn't, it was used as an explanation - but, you are vulnerable, in the images, the striker can potentially get a 6 yard headstart on the CBs and still be onside.

As kids we used to call it 'Goalhanging' - one player stays up and waits for the long ball. If a striker in the image pushes up to the half way line, in anticipation of a hoofed clearance, the defenders would drop back to the same.

looking at it, the reason those CB's are further up is because all of the oppositions players are deep in their half, if the opposition striker is further up the pitch then the defence would have to sit deeper or he would be onside.

My thoughts are that the only way for you to get your CBs that far up is to play with a 'high defensive line' combined with your opponent playing with a 'very fluid' shape combined with a 'low defensive line.'  You would probably also need to be playing 'Fluid' or 'Very Fluid', maybe 'Flexible' to create a compact shape.  If you are Structured your defenders will probably still hang back for any balls over the top.  Probably a situation where your opponent is playing a low block and you want to camp in their attacking end.  

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I’ve been messing around the past couple of days trying to replicate the screenshots I posted. Not sure if this is 100% but it seems that if I play two stoppers (at least one ball playing) and tick “Roam From Positions” my CBs seem to actively seek space in the opposition half, which then pushes the opposition striker back. I’ve tested this on multiple saves and teams and it seems to work. 

4 hours ago, gwo said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I’ve been messing around the past couple of days trying to replicate the screenshots I posted. Not sure if this is 100% but it seems that if I play two stoppers (at least one ball playing) and tick “Roam From Positions” my CBs seem to actively seek space in the opposition half, which then pushes the opposition striker back. I’ve tested this on multiple saves and teams and it seems to work. 

Interesting, I will try something soon but I'm sure playing very fluid on overload, with the stopper and maybe runs with ball forward would work. I'd also love to play this way too, and hopefully using a sweeper keeper would actually sweep unlike whatever they do now. roam from positions seems a bit scary tho, no?

Archived