Sports Interactive Community
tommy1987

Urgent Help! Game won’t load at all

help I went to play the game but as soon as i click play on fm17 it just says 'running' on steam client, disappears and then the icon appears at bottom with the loading mouse. Nothing then happens at all. further the fm17 exe file cant even be closed from task manager and the only option i have left is to restart my laptop. Any solutions?

i have tried all online help this far like reinstalling direct x etc

Try starting the game from the Games menu in steam.  If that doesnt work, please advise which antivirus you are using

Thanks for the response. I have tried starting from steam but having the same issue. 

The only anti virus I have running is the windows defender I believe 

Are you using any third party graphics like logos, facepacks etc, or a custom database?

Have you played the game recently and are you using the last game update?

I played the game a few weeks ago and it did crash on me. I’m not using any custom databases or logos etc 

the gans is is fully updated through steam 

OK- try verifying the game files in steam- if that doesnt work, uninstall, clear out the cache and preferences folders, and reinstall FM

I have now tried this, deleting cache and preference folders, and it’s still not working. It’s as if the game is trying to load but nothing is being displayed, I can right click icon at bottom and click it again but it says it’s already running. 

Yes I verified the game files first and had same issue, so I uninstalled the game, deleted folders and reinstalled as suggested

Hi Neil

yes I have tried everything on the list, tried that before posting it on here as found in another thread. Very weird that fm18 demo is working and not fm17

Hi Neil

yes I have tried everything on the list, tried that before posting it on here as found in another thread. Very weird that fm18 demo is working and not fm17

Nothing obvious from your report ( apart from the old sandy bridge processor)

Are there any other applications or programmes that are loading at start up and if so, can you try disabling them in case there is a conflict with Fm

I have attached some screen shots of applications running in background. I have tried ending obvious ones before starting like anti virus etc but still no luck. As said before, the icon appears at the bottom and then the screen freezes as if its running in background. 

I will attach screen shot of this happening.

screen shot 1.jpg

screen shot 2.jpg

screen shot 3.jpg

screen shot 4.jpg

I canT attach files because the screen won’t let me whilst it’s processing fm. I can only press window button and can’t access paint etc 

In my view none of these applications need to be running from initial boot ( e.g you have an AMD dual core optimiser listed and I cant see an AMD card on your dxdiag, for example).  I also dont see an antivirus listed there ( the windows defender is just an update notifier) which should normally load at start up

On that screen disable all the apps and try starting the game

Ok I’ll try that shortly, not sure why I have this also as I bought the PC from a friend so may have had an amd in there at one point or another

I have tried this step and I’m still having the same issue. It won’t load and I need to press control, alt and delete to shut down the computer. 

As as I said before, it’s as if it’s trying to load but can’t. I think this because the icon keeps reloading at bottom and  the cortana box in corner keeps playing same message and then deleting over and over 

I am fairly sure that there is a conflict somewhere on your machine with the FM 17 game and another application that is stopping the game from running.  Do you have any cleaning or malware/adware stoppers running while FM is on?  Check the up arrow at the right corner taskbar while FM is running and see what else is running while FM is on.

I agree about the conflicting. 

I don’t know how to check for malware etc but I don’t think I do. The only things that are running on the side is steam, Bluetooth for keyboard and sound. There was also nvidia centre but I closed this before trying the game.

it’s still not running.

Noting that you bought the computer second hand, did you install your own version of steam and the game?

I installed my own version of the game and I believe steam was already on there but I used my account before downloading any games

I am sorry but I cant think of anything else to suggest- I suspect that we both agree that it is a software conflict but without seeing what is on your machine, it is hard to decide what this could be.  I am not an expert but post a belarc report ( instructions in the FAQ thread) and I will have a look.

I appreciate you trying to help with this. I haev compiled the report and sent it to you ina private message. Have you received it?

Please post the belarc report in here, so that others can help if need be.

I note from the report that you have Norton AV installed and up to date, when you indicated that you only had Defender.  What is the story there?  If it is disabled, please uninstall it completely ( you may need to get internet help for this).  Then uninstall and reinstall the game

I have uninstalled norton from the pc and then done the same for the game. I’m still having the same issue though so doesn’t look to be that

As I asked before please post your belarc report in here and I will see if I can get one of the SI staff to have a look for you.

Okay you say you're only running Windows Defender but you actually have Norton installed as well which could potentially be interfering with the game. Due to this we'd suggest keeping Windows Defender running and completely remove Norton entirely. Once it's removed, uninstall and reinstall FM. Any save games will be left untouched during this process.

Once it's reinstalled, try the game again and let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

Hi Neil 

i completely removed Norton using their remove tool and it’s no longer on the system. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game but I am still having no luck getting on the game